Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Civilization at any Price; Semi-private. Like a fox. (PM first?) Also, Day 2
Topic Started: Oct 2 2010, 10:10 PM (1,900 Views)
Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
I am a great biotic wind that will sweep all before me like a... a great wind! A great biotic wind!
[ *  * ]
Alice cursed as Vic stepped forward. Quietly, more to herself then anything else, but it was definitely a blush-worthy string of curses. This was exactly what she didn't want to happen. Vic was safe behind Alice, or at least much less likely to be shot. The situation was stable, if not under control. Then Vic had to go and walk right up to the guy. It was commendable, sure. Placing enough faith in the guy that he wouldn't shoot her as soon as she was exposed. Commendable and stupid. She was risking her life for nothing. Everything that she was saying could have also been said behind Alice.

For a fleeting second when Vic stepped between Alice and the boy, the barrel of her gun wavered, then dipped. With Vic in the way, it wasn't like she had any type of shot. She should have stopped her from moving too far ahead. Should have grabbed her hand, something, kept her from walking up and shaking hands with the guy. If something did happen, it would be her fault for not stopping it. She should have know Vic was impetuous, impulsive.

When Raidon's gun also lowered, Vic felt a faint glimmer of hope. Did Vic actually get through to him? What were the odds of that? Persuasive as she was, it seemed impossible. Despite her initial shock at seeing Vic push forward alone, Alice felt a brief moment of relief.

Then everything went to hell in an instant. Raidon brought his gun up and pressed it to Vic's head, stepping forward and riving her back. Alice quickly brought up her own guy and centered on Raidon. This was her fault, her fault that Vic was know in danger. Alice would be damned before she let Vic get hurt.

Any fear she might have felt before was nothing compared to the terror she felt now. The person she cared about most was but a finger's twitch away from death, and it seemed like she was helpless to stop it. If it meant that Vic would be safe, Alice would have done whatever the guy wanted. But if she did give up the revolver, nothing would change. The gun in her hand was the only thing keeping them both alive. If she was unarmed, they would both be at his mercy. If she gave up her gun, there was nothing stopping him from shooting them both. As terrified as she was, that realization made the decision simple.

Her voice surprisingly calm, Alice said simply, "No." Her grip on the revolver tightened, and she forced herself calm even as her mind raced. "If you kill her, you'll be the next to die."
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass" -Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Lost To the Ages
Spoiler: click to toggle

Coming soon, to a V5 near you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yvaine
Member Avatar
Me? Why, what a wild and crazy accusation! No no, it was that OTHER girl.
[ *  * ]
No, no, this wasn't right. Everyone was supposed to chill, and relax. That was all she was trying to do, to keep everyone alive, to calm everyone down. Why the fuck..what the fuck was wrong with him? Why couldn't he just let everyone split up, safe and sound? Why did he have to pull his gun in her of all people? She was just trying be the mediator, trying to keep things sane. This, it wasn't right. This was how the game made people? Conniving and treacherous?

She thought she'd done good when he lowered his gun. Why wouldn't she think that? It meant he wasn't going to start shooting if the gun was down. Vic had even started to turn back on Alice and get her to do the same when Raido whateverhisnamewas moved, then she felt the cold metal of the barrel of his gun on her forehead. Vic turned back, her eyes wide. "W-what are you doing?!"

Raido stepped forward she was pushed back, the gun ever present against her head. If her heart wasn't racing before, it was now. This wasn't an imagined threat, this was staring down the barrel of a gun, looking death in the face. Vic met Raidon's eyes, pleading, begging. She heard Alice move behind her, the soft rustle of cloth. Vic wasn't thinking, not outside the desire to not be shoot in the face in front of the woman she loved. Alice just had to hand over her gun, then they would both be okay. Unarmed, but okay. Alice would listen to reason, hand over then gun, everyone would be okay.

Or, not. Vic listened to Alice's quiet words in disbelief. "Alice, just give him the fuckin' gun! This isn't the time to be fucking difficult! Give him the gun and we'll be okay!" Vic spoke frantically, not daring to look away from Raidon and move her head, lest he take that as some move to escape and bring about a sudden and messy end.

"Dammit it, Alice! Listen to him! Think about Bounce, fuck, think about me! Just give him the damn gun and he'll let us go!"
V4
B092 - Brennan, Etain---The Docks
G086 - Logan, Victoria---The Beach: East
Posted Image

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Victoria's pleading eyes met Raidon, and for a moment Raidon's resolve wavered. She looked so frightened, so terribly...he'd been that afraid before, of unreasonable violence, of vindictive authority, of suffering and pain. He shouldn't have done this, he shouldn't have-

Regardless of whether he should have or not, he had. He had forced a standoff. If he lowered his gun, he would be at their mercy.

She has a gun.

He kept coming back to this fact--all his cold reason came together and insisted on this point. She was either going to arm his enemies or become one of them, and the only way this could end without him killing her would be for her to surrender the weapon. He could afford to make an enemy of her, as long as he disarmed her first.

He didn't want to become a cold-blooded killer, and he didn't want to become a monster. He wanted to survive.

If I take the gun from her, she's as good as dead.

If I don't get her gun,
I'm as good as dead.

"I apologize if I was dishonest," Raidon said coolly, the words flowing as smoothly from his lips and tongue as though they were a reflex. "And I have no hope of your forgiveness." His eyes had long since left Victoria; if she moved down she was done for. Now he locked eyes with Alice.

Victoria spoke up then, demanded that Alice surrender the gun. Raidon kept his eyes on Alice. "You haven't killed yet, yes?" Raidon asked. "But you will. Because you care about her." He bobbed his head towards Victoria. "Because this place and these people will force you to. Adam Dodd. Bryan Calvert. There is nothing more dangerous than a human being protecting something they love." He paused, considered Alice's earlier statement. "If I die, I lose only my life, Alice," he said. "If she dies-" and he pushed the gun forwards a little, not enough to hurt but enough, perhaps, to make Victoria flinch. "You lose your reason to live."

He was gambling, of course. He didn't know anything about Alice and Victoria's relationship, really; for all he knew they were just fuck buddies. But she had wanted to protect Victoria very badly.

The gun. If he could just get the gun...
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
I am a great biotic wind that will sweep all before me like a... a great wind! A great biotic wind!
[ *  * ]
Alice was tense, a bundle of nervous energy. It was all she could do to keep from fidgeting and twitching. This was the worst situation possible, because Vic was in harms way and there was little she could actually do to guarantee her safety. If she pulled her trigger, Raidon could also pull his, ending everything with a bang. If she gives up her gun, he would kill them both. No matter what, it seemed that this would end in blood. Vic’s, her’s, Raidon’s, it didn’t matter. Someone would get hurt. Maybe the best thing to do was ensure it was her, rather then Vic.

She watched Raidon carefully, meeting his eyes and holding them. He seemed calm, as if this was all routine for him. That was worrisome. Alice watched him pull the trigger and shatter everything that was important to her. She watched her own gun erupt and saw Raidon fall out of sight in a spray of blood. She saw Raidon executing them both as they clung to each other, frightened and desperate. Countless possibilities shot through her mind, and a peaceful parting of ways wasn’t one of them.

Alice wanted him dead. More then anything else, she wanted him dead. He threatened Vic, held a gun to her head. Alice wanted to pull the trigger, wanted to feel the gun kick in her hand. The only thing keeping her from doing exactly that was the slightest possibility that Vic would be caught in the middle.

Because she couldn’t just shoot him, that meant she had to make him back down. That meant she had to be calm and collected, or at least appear to be. As frightened as she was, she couldn’t let it show. Make him think that she was the biggest badass this side of Han Solo, make him back down.

“You’re right. I would kill to protect her. I would do anything to anyone to protect her. I would kill everyone on this island to protect her. Where does that leave you? Vic isn’t your hostage, she’s your shield. I care about her more then anything else in the world, but I would kill her myself rather then leaving her to your mercy, which is exactly what I would be doing if I gave you this gun.

The only way anyone is going to get out of this is if you walk away. If you lower your gun and go your separate way, it will end there, no harm done. But if you insist on keeping your gun to her head, we’ll all die here. The only question then is how sure you are that you can kill me before I kill you, because if you kill her I’ll be quite willing to follow.”
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass" -Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Lost To the Ages

Yvaine
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
She was going to die. It came to her clearly, a sudden and clear revelation. Raido, Mr. Ninja, Mr. Had-A-Fucking-Gun-At-Her-Head, whatever, was going to shoot her. He had her at her complete mercy, a breath away from blowing her head off, and Alice was playing the tough chick. It almost felt like a betrayal. Sort of. Raido was giving them a simple way out, give up the gun and be safe, but Alice was threatening him! She was supposed to be the smart one, what the hell was she doing?!

Vic whispered a vaguely remembered prayer to whoever was listening. She was never the religious type. Far from it, actually. When you got the reputation as the schools biggest slut, a life of clean living and faith clearly weren't a priority. But staring down Raidon's gun, knowing that a single misspoken word by Alice would be the end of things, well, it made her think. If she was going to die, she was going to try and hedge her bets at least a little. It couldn't hurt, right?

The hostage-to-be listened to the back and forth, Raido starting in about how Alice would have to kill to survive, Alice coming back with her stone-cold line. Vic remained silent, contemplating all meaning of the phrase 'silent as the grave'. Maybe she hoped that if she kept quiet, he'd forget about her? The only sound she made was a strangled cry as he pushed the gun against her head, as the emphasize how serious the situation was. Like she needed to be reminded.

Screwing her eyes shut, Vic waited for the click of the gun that would signal her departure from the living. She was convinced that it would happen any second, that Raido would take Alice up on her gamble and see who would shoot first. It was nice to hear what lengths Alice would go to for her, but wouldn't it just be easier to give up the gun? She felt her body tremble like a leaf in the wind, fear and nervous tension running through her body like a current. Would it hurt?, she wondered. Or would it be instantaneous?

"I don't wanna die, man. Please, just let us go." She whispered softly, her voice as shaky as her body. It was a faint hope that Raido would back down, but she kind of got the idea that this wasn't what he wanted to do. Well, at least that this wasn't his Plan A. Maybe he would back off? Maybe, but she doubted that she would be that lucky.
V4
Posted Image

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raidon's face twisted in annoyance as Alice spoke. "As if I could trust you," he said shortly. "As long as you're armed, you're a danger to me. The only way you make it out of this alive is if-"

"I don't wanna die, man. Please, just let us go."

He stopped talking, as hot guilt and shame poured up from inside him. What the hell was he doing? These people had done him no harm, they had so far proven willing and able to talk. They hadn't killed, which was more than he could say. Why didn't he just take Alice's offer and leave? Why didn't he just...

The gun. I need the gun.

Disregard the fact that these two were probably harmless, even if Alice seemed willing to kill for Victoria; disregard the fact that they might let him go, that he might not need to kill again; disregard the fact that he wasn't sure he could harm either of these girls without going mad. He needed the damn gun.

So.

The sketchy details of a plan appeared in his mind.

"Only way I let you go," he said softly, eying Alice's gun and trying to measure the distance between them. "Is if I get that gun." He and Victoria were very close to Alice. It might be possible...
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Alice decided that she wasn't a fan of these prolonged stand-offs. Her arms were beginning to get sore from being extending so long, and she didn't see Raidon backing off any time soon. She almost wished this work itself out, one way or another. Well, maybe not, but she wanted to put her gun down. Well, what she really wanted was to shoot Raidon. She wanted to shoot him for daring to threaten Vic.

But she wouldn't. Not with Vic in the way. If Raidon wouldn't play nice, then Alice would have to do something to ensure Vic's safety. Something beside standing there and pointing a gun at him. Maybe she could disable him. She would have to make sure that he wouldn't have a chance to hurt Vic. Whatever she did, it would be taking a big risk, one she wasn't sure she wanted to take.

"If you get my gun, there is nothing stopping you from shooting us both anyway. Here's what it boils down to: If you pull that trigger, none of us are leaving. It's as simple as that. You hurt her, I'll kill you."

Alice shifted, readjusting her grip on her gun. If he tried anything, she would shoot him. If he made a wrong move, made to shoot Vic, she would blow him away. She knew that with a dead certainty. Raidon was a stranger, one that had done only ill to her. Vic was the most important person in the world. The math wasn't hard.

Lost To the Ages

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raidon grimaced. His eyes were burning--from the outset of this little stand-off he'd blinked maybe twice, afraid that any moment of inattention would end in him being shot. "And if you don't give me the gun," he said. "I'm-"

Now.

He shoved his gun forwards with all his strength, sending Victoria toppling backwards towards Alice. The shove appeared to have caught Alice off-guard; her eyes flashed away from Raidon, and her gun waved a fraction of an inch.

That was all Raidon needed. Just that moment.

Gun down, left hand up, and he was going to wrest that thing from Alice and get the hell out of here.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
"Vic!" Alice screamed. The woman of her life was stumbling, falling backwards. For a terrifying, irrational second, Alice thought she'd been shot. Alice moved to catch her, tumbling as she was. Then reason and logic filtered back in and she realized she hadn't heard a shot. Then she realized that Raidon was trying to create a diversion, something to try and take her out. Vic connected with her, and for a second they both teetered back and forth, with Alice trying to hold them both up. For a second, Raidon and his bid for control were forgotten.

Then she felt his hand clamp around the barrel of her gun. Her hand jerked up as he shifted her aim away from himself. Alices' arm tightened around Vics waist and she tried to shift her out of the way, even as she tried to wrest her gun away from her attacker.

She should have been paying attention. Correct that, she should have been paying more attention. He probably gave some sign he was going to try something, but she was too concerned with trying to make him back down that she missed it. She should have just shot him the moment he drew his gun, before Vic had a chance to get herself in trouble. She should have killed him before it even got this far. It would be something she would do well to remember.

But that wouldn't help her if Raidon managed to her her gun. He would kill them both. He would kill Vic. That couldn't happen. Not if there was anything she could do to stop him. She had to think, had to think quickly. Get her gun away from him, pull the trigger, move on. Alice only had a glimpse before Vic collided with her, but it looked like he lowered his gun when he made his move for the revolver. That was good, it would give her an extra second that she'd need.

Using her not inconsiderable strength, thank you gymnastics, she forced her gun down, from the sky, toward just over Raidon's shoulder. Not exactly her target, but better. Just a little lower...if she could just get the sights on something that was actually part of his body. She was still trying to lower the gun toward something a little more substantial when her finger twitched, depressing on the trigger.

Lost To the Ages

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It came so close to working.

Alice stumbled and almost fell, her eyes twitching away from him as she seized her girlfriend's arm and tried to keep the both of them aloft. By the time she started to fight back, he had a solid grip around the gun. He thought that was victory; now he had a grip on her gun, she was distracted, she was off-balance, she would have to struggle to save both her girlfriend and her weapon and Raidon was sure he could beat her now, if he could just...

It was only when she started to fight back that Raidon realized she was stronger than he was.

Little time passed, in reality. Two, perhaps three seconds of desperate grappling. But to Raidon those seconds clawed by, leaving palpable, painful impressions. He'd pulled the gun high, to keep her from firing at him, but now she pulled it down, steadily, certainly, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. It fell with all the weigh and inevitability of a headsman's axe, of death's own scythe, of the hand of God. It fell, and-

This is what I get this is judgment I killed and struggled and chose to hurt and this is my punishment the universe is righteous and it hates-

As it lowered towards his body, Raidon gritted his teeth and shoved upwards with all his strength. As he did so, his pinky brushed in front of the barrel.

BANG

Raidon screeched and jerked backwards. He got only a fleeting impression of mangled flesh stained with crimson rivulets and jagged white shards of bone. There was no separation between injury and pain; it came with dreadful immediacy, hammered into him and send echoes twisting their way through his body, drips of fire up through his injuries.

"YOU BITCH!" he screamed, and jerked his gun back up. He didn't even hear the gunshot, but he saw it's effects; saw Alice plunge backwards, as a tiny spray of blood escaped the point of impact. The anger that suffused him died a little, as she fell backwards; with it came a thought.

If I didn't kill her, she can still kill me.

He didn't wait to hear the screaming, the shouting, the counterattack as she jerked her gun back after him; he plunged backwards, rounded the same corner he, Alice, and Victoria had surprised each other from behind.

Looked at the mangled ruin of his left pinky, and felt his anger growing to new heights.

(Naoko Raidon continued in The Lord's Mercy)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Dec 9 2010, 08:17 PM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The explosion from the barrel of her gun brought everything to a screeching halt. For a long second, there was silence. Alice's eye widened as they fell on Raidon's finger, or rather, where his finger used to be. For a manic second, she wanted to apologize, something. Then the shock wore off and the gravity of the situation settled in. They'd gone past talking and negotiating, and now this wouldn't end in any way other then more bloodshed. Raidon started to scream, understandably enough, and he fell back, sacrificing his grip on her gun.

Alice's reaction were slow, sluggish. She felt dazed, still reeling from the sudden shot. The realization that Raidon was was drawing on her came too late, and by the time she started to aim her revolver, it was later still. Raidon was still screaming, cursing. Time seemed to move at a crawl, and she knew that she would never bring her own gun up in time to outgun the boy.

Because she didn't kill him when she had the chance, she was going to die in turn. Once she was dead, what was stopping him from killing Vic? She didn't want it to end like this, dead because her finger slipped on the trigger a few seconds too early.

If she was going to die, she'd die protecting Vic a little longer. Alice spun, turned on her heel so that her back was directed toward Raidon with her body shielding Vic. She waited for the shot, and she wasn't kept waiting for long. The bullet hit her shoulder, punching through her jacket and mushrooming against her shoulder blade on the upper-right side of her back. On the bright side, it wasn't as bad as she expected. The bullet that struck her didn't kill her immediately, so there was that. The only thing she could thank for that was the fact her attacker was probably a little distracted.

The pain that followed wasn't instantaneous, but it was close enough. Before she cried out, she heard footsteps moving quickly in the opposite direction. Considering that she was still holding tight to Vic, she could hope that it was Raidon. That was enough to put her mind at ease. To a degree at least. She did, after all, have other things to worry about as well. Her grip on Vic loosened and she felt herself slipping. The next thing she knew, she was falling away form Vic and sliding to the ground.

Of course, the shot itself wasn't something that could be glossed over, as sharp and piercing as it was. It certainly put the pain she felt in the car accident that claimed her parents into perspective. When she fell free of Vic and landed roughly on her back, that wasn't exactly a picnic either. It was like feeling a nail being hammered further into her body, and it was more then enough to warrant another scream of pain. Alice writhed at Vic's feet, her back arching in a bid to alleviate pressure from the gunshot on her back.

At least she wasn't dead yet. Every silver lining, right?

Lost To the Ages

Yvaine
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Alice was going to piss him off, and he was going to shoot her. Then Alice would shoot him, but he'd probably kill Alice too. It was all so pointless. Why couldn't anyone else see that? Why didn't Alice shoot him before he had a chance to do anything? Like, say, now? At the rate things were going, it would escalate and escalate, a few threats here, a threatening gesture there, then BANG!

She saw Raidon tense, and she knew that would be it. He was tired of talking when it was clear he wasn't going to get anything from Alice. She was going to die, and then Alice would die and then Raidon would die, all for a stupid fucking reason that wouldn't matter even if they didn't all die. God, she didn't want to die, especially not right in front of the woman who loved her. Was her mom watching at home, she wondered? Would she be staring at the tv in rapt attention while her daughter's head was blown off? Vic closed her eyes and waited. At least Alice was going with her. It was a selfish thought, but considering where she'd be in a few seconds, it probably wouldn't make a difference.

When Raidon pushed the gun against her head, her first thought was That wasn't so bad, followed pretty quickly by Is it supposed to be painless?. Only after Alice screamed her name did it occur to her that maybe, just maybe, the top half her head wasn't gone. She opened her eyes and was pleasantly surprised to see that she still had them securely in her head. Chances were that Raidon was going after Alice first and her celebration would be short-lived, but she was still alive. And then she was in Alices' arms.

Safety, however temporary it might be. Raidon was still going to kill them. At least Vic wouldn't die alone. She clung to Alice like a drowning person to a life preserver, burying her face in Alices' shoulder. Painful seconds ticked by as she felt Alice and Raidon struggle. The fact that they both were both alive after the first shot was good news. The boy started to scream and Vic felt a ray of hope break through the cloud that was almost certain death. After the second shot, Alice was probably just finishing him off.

Footsteps, then Alice was falling away. Hold on, that couldn't be right. But it was, and Alice had been shot. That in itself took a few second to sink in. Vic stared in horror and shock as Alice screamed and bled, unable to do anything else. "Oh, fuck." She whispered, kneeling down next to Alice. Her hands hovered over her girlfriend, trembling, paralyzed. She had to to help her, had to do something. But what? Medical intern or no, she didn't exactly see a lot of gunshot victims in St. Paul.

"Fuck fuck fuck, whatdoIdowhatdoIdo?!" The jacket, she had to remove the jacket. Then maybe the shirt. She couldn't see the injury otherwise. Forcing herself a degree of calm, she placed a hand on her Alices shoulder. "Easy, babe, just, uh, easy. I need you to roll over for me, okay?" Alice managed to comply, and Vic helped her over, giving Alice a minute to recover before making an attempt to remove her jacket. Which, as it happened, was a slow and painful process that came with much screaming and thrashing. Once that was done, Vic had a chance to look at the wound. If you looked around the blood, one might get a good idea of what had happened. Vic could see enough to know she had her work cut out for her.

"Okay, shit, I can do something. Just, just hold on, Alice." Vic scrambled to her feet and recovered her bag, quickly throwing everything in her way over her shoulder in a frantic rush until she finally struck pay-dirt. The first aid kit, the gift from God himself. She pulled it from the bag and hurried back over to Alice. First things first, but not necessarily in that order. She opened the kit and pulled out the trauma scissors. This part wasn't the worst part, but she was already trembling. Even as she worked to cut around the wound, she was running through what she had to do. Would she need gloves? Better safe then sorry, she guessed. There was certainly enough blood that she'd have to work around.

Okay, hard part. Gloves on, ready to go. Ready as she'd ever be, anyway. The bullet didn't go through, she didn't think, so she had to take care of that. Put pressure on the wound, stop the bleeding, remove the bullet. Right, easy. She removed the tweezers from the kit and realized that she was going to make things worse. "Alice, babe, this is going to hurt." Vic leaned over Alice, placing pressure on the area around the bullet hole. She forced her hand to stop trembling as the tweezer hovered over Alice's back. She was just going to make this worse, but the alternative was hoping that Alice got better on her own. Just be calm.

The tweezers inched forward before hesitating over the shot. Vic finally managed to drum up the nerve as she probed the injury for the bullet. Vic grimaced and squirmed, convinced that she was torturing Alice for nothing until she felt the tweezers touch something. Hoping and praying, Vic pulled out the tweezers and the bullet with them. She let out a sigh of relief as she set them both on the ground next to them. She quickly rummaged through the kit, removing a few butterfly strips, as well as a sterile gauze pad and some tape. She proceeded to gingerly close the injury with the butterfly strips before placing the sterile pad over them and taping the pad down. She leaned back to look over her work. She guessed that it looked okay. Aside from the blood. Geez, that was a lot of blood.

Vic pulled off the gloves as she leaned back over to the bag. Painkillers, painkillers...painkillers! Paracetamol, if it made a difference. Vic crawled back to Alice and held out the painkillers to Alice, who most certainly could use them. "Here, Alice. I can grab some water too, if you want."
V4
Posted Image

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Take the worst pain that she'd ever felt, and it might just pale in comparison to how she felt right then. The agony of lying in the crumpled remains of her fathers car, her arm broken and her skin cut and flayed. The physical therapy she had to deal with before being discharged from the hospital, while not physically painful, agonizing in it's own way. Getting shot in the back to protect Victoria. It was hard to compare, pain for pain, but she had to guess they were all rather close. Deeply unpleasant, to say the very least.

Victoria was safe. and while it offered peace of mind, it didn't ease her pain any. Outside the initial scream at the piercing shock of the bullet hitting her back and the second as she fell on said wound, Alice forced herself silent. She was still shocked that she wasn't dead, but that didn't mean they were safe. Raidon might come back, or some vulture would come and finished what the boy started. Her gun, where was that damn gun? She'd dropped it when she was shot, so it mus be around somewhere.

She made a move to look for it, but her body didn't like that. Just when the pain had fallen to a manageable level, her movement made it roar back with a vengeance. Alice fell back, gritting her teeth together and hissing through them. Her hands clenched into fists as she tried to ride out the pain, tried to keep Victoria from finding reason to panic. But why shouldn't she panic? Alice would as good as crippled, and who else would look out for them? Vic, as much as Alice loved her, wasn't exactly the type to spring into action when duty called. Where did that leave them? That wasn't even factoring in how they would treat the gunshot, which was another issue altogether.

It was hopeless, wasn't it? Bounce was, geez, who knew where Bounce was? Help wasn't likely to come from that direction. Alice was incapacitated, as good as useless. Not that that was new, but now there was someone counting on her. Someone she was letting down. Because Alice had fucked up so badly, they were stuck in the corner. Vic wasn't a fighter, and there wasn't much Alice would be able to defend her. All because Alice hadn't taken the shot when she had the chance. Because she hadn't acted when she had a chance they were both going to die.

Vic was talking, moving, but it didn't much register with Alice. After all, what wad the point anyhow? Then Vic was touching her, urging her to roll over. Alice complied without much thought, grinding her teeth to suppress another pained cry. Her jacket was eased off after another short pause, and Alice began to guess was Vic was after. Her girlfriend was an intern, but Alice didn't really think there was a lot of coverage on gunshot wounds. Then again, it was better then Alice's plan of lying there and crying about it.

Still, she trusted Vic that the girl had at least an idea of what to do. Alice tried not to think about what treating her might entail. Alice acutely felt the tweezers slip inside the hole in her back and chocked back another scream. She felt them probing and poking around her back, and she reckoned she could feel the tweezers scraping bone once or twice. Alice bit her hand, fighting back wracking pain with every shift of the probe in her back. Okay, maybe this was worse then the broken arm. At least she could acclimate to the broken arm.

When Vic did finally sit back, Alice sagged in relief. She was still in pain, but at least she didn't still have someone poking around in her back. The rest was easy, comparatively. It wasn't a picnic, as each touch felt like a iron put to her back, but it was certainly better then experiencing the bullet being removed again. She took the proffered painkiller with a mumbled thank you and swallowed it dry. She felt drained and exhausted and wanted nothing more then to just lie there for a while. She rested her chin on her arm, glancing up at Vic. "M'sorry, Vic."

Lost To the Ages

Yvaine
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Now that the hard part was over, Vic allowed herself a short break to catch her breath. A short break that she'd more then earned. Taking a seat next to Alice, she started packing the medkit back together, recovering the odds and ends that were scattered about before. Alice was fine for the moment, with the wound at least patched up. Vic felt so hopped up on adrenaline that she felt it was a minor miracle that she didn't just make things worse. Not that she was complaining, of course. Things would be rough enough as it was, things didn't need to be worse.

Which touched on the biggest issue at hand. Alice, her protector and guardian, crippled. That left her essentially defenseless. After all, who else was going to protect her? Maybe she'd be better off on her own, just taking the gun and leaving. With a hot flash of guilt, Vic realized how unspeakably selfish that was. Alice was hurt in the first place trying to protect her. They were in this situation in the first place because Alice was doing exactly what Vic had hoped she would do, and her first thought was how this would effect her. She couldn't think like that. Alice was relying on her now, which said something on how desperate a situation this was.

Seeing how this was on her now, it was also on her to decide what they did next. Actually, let's take a moment for that to sink in. How did this go from the relief that she'd have Alice to lead the way to taking on all the responsibility herself? Well, Alice got herself shot, that was how. That was how it happened, but that didn't chance anything. Alice had always watched out for her, now it Vic's turn to do the same. All the same, it was an intimidating prospect. Leadership type, she was not. More likely, she'd end up getting them both killed.

Alice spoke up, pulling Vic away from her thoughts. She arched a quizzical eyebrow at Alice, even as she finished straightening up the medkit. "What are you sorry about?" The erstwhile medic flashed a forced grin. "Sorry that you're going to be putting any sex on standby for the foreseeable future? Yeah, me too. Or did you mean to say sorry for making me carry your ass? Considering what an ass it is, I don't mind." Vic leaned forward and retrieved the revolver before setting it next to her bag. Her expression turned serious, or as serious as it could be while trying to avoid looking at Alice. Honestly, she still felt guilty about her thoughts from before. "Whatever it is you mean, don't worry about it. You saved me, babe. I owe you for that, if nothing else."

Vic climbed to her feet, tucking the revolver in her belt. "If you really want, you can explain to me what you mean once we're inside. I want to wait for Bounce a while, and I'd prefer to do it somewhere less open." Which was true, despite the less the charitable feelings directed in Bounces direction. It Bounce hadn't insisted on splitting up, this would never have happened. Following that logic, Vic was more then a little upset with the other girl and she might just tell her so when they met up again. For now, she was occupied with gingerly helping Alice to her feet. The plan was the get her to one of the nearby buildings before going back for the bags, then staking out for Bounce, should she ever make it back.

"Come on, Alice. On your feet. Once we're inside, I might be able to find you a shirt that doesn't have a giant hole cut out of it." She eased her arm under Alice's shoulder and around her waist, positioning the taller girl so that leaning against her. While the main goal was to find cover, Vic did spare a second to give Alice a quick kiss. "I love you Alice. Whatever else, I love you. Now c'mon, let's get you somewhere a little less in the middle of the street."

((Victoria Logan, continued Stay Frosty))
V4
Posted Image

Sister Grimm
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
For once, Alice wished that Vic would drop the understanding act and tell Alice how badly she had messed up. There were no illusions that she hadn’t, and pretending that everything was okay wouldn’t help. Vic had to see that this would ruin everything. Because of her injury, Alice would slow them down and be little more then dead weight. Simply put, she’d fucked everything up. If she hadn’t been shot, they would have been okay. She had her gun, not to mention that she fit and strong on her own. Keeping Vic safe would have been doable, if not easy. But she could say goodbye to that.

No, no, it wouldn’t be that easy. Injured or no, she would protect Vic. She would, she would get the gun then force herself to her feet, and then she’d find someplace safe and devote her time to keeping Vic out of harms way. Because if she didn’t, no one else would.

And there was Vic, grabbing the gun while talking about what they would do and how they would do it. Making plans to keep them alive. Colour Alice surprised. Of all the possibilities that she’d considered, most ending in horrible death, that really wasn’t the scenario that she considered most likely. It was, well, alluring. Alice would be the first to admit that she liked when Vic took charge, but that seldom applied in a serious situation. Or any situation outside the bedroom, really.

Alice grimaced at the hand on her waist, but she could suffer through it until they had reached safety. “Well, thanks. Really, thanks, Vic. I mean, you would be better off leaving me behind.” Vic smiled down at her after this kiss, wrapping her arm around Vic’s shoulder and holding her close. “I love you too, Vic. I know I might be little more then a burden right now, but I’ll still do everything I can to keep you safe.”

((Alice Blake continued in Stay Frosty))

Lost To the Ages

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The Residential Area · Next Topic »
Add Reply