Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fucking Compasses... How Do They Work?; Open Thread
Topic Started: Oct 2 2010, 01:14 PM (4,146 Views)
decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Simon Telamon continued from Watch Your Step))

Simon hadn't had a lot of time to really let his mind wander. After leaving the Hall of Mirrors, he took a nap for about an hour before having something to eat when he was woken up by some hellishly loud music. He would have asked whomever was doing it to stop, but given his encounters with the now-deceased Trevor and his former friend Nick, he decided such an action to be too risky. The one question that had really gnawed at his (and probably everyone's) mind (namely "Where are we?") started to fall into place. Whereas some people were thinking about landmarks and such, Simon had a slightly different way:

Okay, so if a stick in the ground can tell me which way is east, then it could possibly tell me where I am. All he needed was a protractor (which he naturally didn't have - who brought a protractor along when going camping?), but he could make a rough estimate of angles without one. All he had was a watch. 11:45 May as well start.

Step 1: At high noon, place a stick in the ground standing upright. He picked up a small stick and shoved it into the ground so it looked like a miniature flagpole.

Step 2: Measure the angle between the top of the shadow and the top of the stick. He looked at the shadow. All he could tell was that it was more than 45 degrees (He'd done it in St. Paul, at around 44 degrees north of the equator).

Step 3: Subtract 90 degrees to get the angle between the sun & the point directly overhead

Step 4: If the sun is north of you, subtract the angle from 0 degrees. He looked at the sun and to his compass

Add the declination of the sun to the calculated angle to obtain your approximate latitude. So basically, they had travelled … actually, he couldn't tell. Simply put, his estimates led him to believe that the island itself was south of St. Paul, but how far south was a mystery (In fact, without the protractor, Simon's reading was so rough, no real estimate could be made. For all he knew, he could still be in Minnesota). Essentially, Simon was right where he started: lost in a sea of potential killers, with a crap weapon, and no idea of how to get out without joining the insanity. So Simon was ...

Clink. Something struck his prosthetic leg, and a second later, the music stopped. He looked to his left, noting four people: two guys, one in an expensive but dirty jacket (Milo Taylor, known throughout school as a rich snob and the source of the loud music), the other wearing a sleeveless basketball jersey over a black vest (Rob Jenkins, noted over the announcements as the killer of Paige Strand, wearing a bulletproof vest), as well as two girls, a brunette in baggy clothes (Jessica Pentangeli), and a girl in a Metallica T-shirt with wildly colored hair (Alexandria Jackson, the person who threw the rocks). Although Rob had a gun, it was actually what Alex said as he approached them that caught his attention:

"Geez, all I wanted to know is if you'd seen my brother. Roman? He's about my height, wears totally boring button down shirts …" Wait. Back at the House of Mirrors, that Borat guy called to Roman, as if they knew each other. Of all the guys that he had seen, only one mad sense to identify ...

"Roman? Brown hair, thick glasses? I think I met him, at the ... I think it was called the Hall of Mirrors, but we went our separate ways. Some snob bitched me out when I asked if anyone had a plan. Anyone here have one?"
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sorry to break post order, but I'm a little scared that Simon's going inactive ...))

"You’ve seen Roman. You’re sure. Damn, I wish I had my phone there’s a picture of him. He’s okay though? I mean he had to be if you could go your separate ways? And did he leave first? Did you see which way he went?"

"He seemed okay to me. Someone called out to him. Had huge mustache, like Borat, and Roman responded to it. He left when ..."

Ah-choo! Crack. Simon flinched as he looked down, to notice that his leg was fine. Then ...

"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus, Milo, I am SO sorry!" The brunette had apparently fired her rifle when she had sneezed, and was now apologizing for it. He looked over to Milo, who now had a dart sticking out of his crotch. Simon just stared at the sight as Milo's screams turned into ... something, as Milo looked at the other guy with them, and then ...

"Oh my god, you're Mecha-Bigfoot!"

"Uh, what's up with him?" (As if that weren't obvious enough ...)

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sorry about the short, crap-tacular post.))

Simon just stared at the snob Milo Taylor (That's who suit-boy was) as he slowly went into oblivion.

"Hey! Let me ride away into the sunset on your glistening back and fly away from Mecha-Bigfoot!" he yelled to Jessica and Alex, who were both leaving the scene as Simon turned towards them. Funny thing: now that he recognized Milo as the jackass that thought himself as being better than everyone (Huh. Kinda like Cartman), the whole being shot in the crotch with a tranquilizer dart now seemed pretty funny.

"Mommy? Daddy? Sasquatch? Why is the world all spinny and magnets?" Those were Milo's last words before he fell blissfully asleep. Simon just turned to Rob as Simon remembered his "weapon."

"Dude, that was just hilarious. I gotta go. You can follow me if you want, but he has to stay. I say no to drugs," Simon walked off with his best attempt at a joke, remembering the incredible gamble he was taking by hoping that his key in his jeans led to something useful.

((Simon Telamon continued in Living in the Aftermath))
Edited by decoy73, Nov 27 2010, 01:17 AM.

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Add Reply