Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
instinct•algorithm; TOPIC CLOSED
Topic Started: Oct 1 2010, 04:09 AM (5,017 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Mirabelle Nesa continued from Take, Eat)

Her fight with Garret had taken longer than she had anticipated, and by the time she'd gone after Machete she had not been able to find her. The same strange, terrible happiness which had taken hold of her during her fight with Garret refused to release her, and without flinching she'd continued on, wading through whatever she needed to wade to. She was not even suffering, in the proper sense of the word; a fierce ecstasy kept her aloft, kept her moving.

She heard the names named. Heard that her schoolmates had died. And yet she could still keep moving. She wondered at that.

Day wore into night, Belle rested when she needed to, ate when she was hungry, and continued to move. At a certain point, having not seen Maddy in some time, Belle assumed the other girl had gone her own way. Mentally, Belle wished her well; for now, Belle had other concerns. With so little artifical light, the stars and moon provided terrific illumination; ahead of her she saw a boy stumbling up his own way. Not wanting to scare him, Belle began to move in a different direction, but then the boy sank onto the ground and Belle had a much harder time ignoring him.

She didn't hesitate; she moved closer. One of the football players, she thought; K-something. She wasn't sure what to say. Why had he collapsed? Was he hurt?

"Are you alright?" she asked, keeping her voice low.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The boy shot up at once, grabbing his shovel and whirling towards her. Belle, half-mad and still giddy from her earlier victory, at once snapped up her hands, waiting for him to make the first move. A dull ache in her left arm reminded her of the serious blow she'd suffered during her fight with Garrett, but she ignored it; for now, her mind was on her new opponent, this threatening, looming...

He stopped. Lowered his shovel. Told her he was fine and asked her--rather politely--to leave.

Her lips curled into a sneer. "Coward," she hissed. "Not that you're wrong to be afraid of me--" she tossed her head to one side, so that her ponytail bounced. "But, all the same." She turned dismissively. "Run back to your hole."

Jackie.

Jackie was standing behind her. Jackie had been travelling with Garrett, did that make the two of them...? But no, Jackie was only curious. "He's an asshole," Belle replied, shrugging. "He decided I wasn't worth anything, that I was..." She trailed off, her sneer deepening. "That I was weak. I hit him. He hit me back." She shrugged. "I was looking for a little closure." She eyed Jackie for a moment. "And how about you? You showed up with him, after all."

A new girl arrived. Japanese, unfamiliar to to her, but Mirabelle was at once impressed with her boldness and focus. "Caltrops?" she said with interest. "I don't even know what those are, but God knows I've no use for this." She dropped her bag on the ground and dug around until she found what she was looking for--the can of spraypaint she'd discovered while looking for water. "Take it, I've no need." She eyed her. "Mizore, right?" she repeated.

And then a boy Belle didn't know and Machete ran by. Machete told them they were running away from something, and at once that strange flare of joy screamed up from the depths of Belle's chest and she turned, spreading her legs a little and lifting her hands, fingers curled to thrust her palms forwards.

Instinct was guiding her to fight, and if this euphoric giddiness was all she got out of it that was a damn sight better than the helplessness she'd felt earlier.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[Tiny bit of god-modding here. Hope the two of you don't mind, and if you have any objections I'll edit it at once.]

And Mirabelle Nesa heard her coming.

Jackie was still by her side, as was Mizore Soryu. She considered this; Jackie had a gun, she remembered, she could fend for herself regardless of what was coming. The only weapons Soryu had were little more than tacks, and there was danger heading there way--nothing else could have caused Machete and...whatever the other guy's name was to run. Did their pursuer have a gun? If so, Belle needed to be somewhere with a bit more cover, somewhere she could strike without...

She turned her head. Soryu was staring the way Machete had come, wide-eyed, clearly panicked. Belle was willing to take a risk, and Jackie and K-whatever his name was cold defend themselves. No reason for Soryu to get caught up in this.

Two quick steps. Hands on Soryu's shoulders. One quick peek to make sure this wouldn't kill her. "Don't be afraid," Belle said, without thinking. "You'll be fine."

Shove.

Down she went, skidding (just as Belle had hoped) on her ass. Belle grinned and turned around, picking up Soryu's pack and rolling it after her, and then turned, lifted her arms. Here was the killer, a crazed girl with a weapon in hand, Belle lifted up her hands and-

She ran past them. She ran past them without even looking at them. And perhaps because none of them had been expecting this, they all stayed standing where they were for a good few seconds. By the time Belle had enough presence of mind to turn around, she could heard only the trickle and clatter of falling pebbles as the girl who'd run by took a dangerous route down the mountain at high speeds.

Belle, to her own amusement and disgust, felt disappointed. She'd wanted another fight.

"Well," she managed, blinking. "I...well." She looked at her hands, than towards Jackie. "This one doesn't want to do anything with us" she jerked her head towards the football player. "And I suppose it would be wrong of me to judge you just for being around Garrett." She hesitated. "We should go after her."

The invitation was implicit. Did Jackie want to travel with her?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I thought she was in danger," Belle said, shrugging. It did not strike her as at a all unreasonable that she had shoved someone down a mountain--it seemed to her the most natural way of protecting someone in the world. How else would Jackie suggest they ensure she stay safe.

"Slow defeats the purpose, of course," Belle answered. "But I suppose I'm not the one with gun. Your call." She turned her eyes down the mountain. "Let's go."

Quickly and carefully, always glancing back to make sure Jackie was keeping pace, Belle headed off.

(Mirabelle Nesa continued in Measure Once, Cut Twice).
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jan 31 2011, 05:58 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply