Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
instinct•algorithm; TOPIC CLOSED
Topic Started: Oct 1 2010, 04:09 AM (4,885 Views)
TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
((Continued from Bats, & Rats, & Blind Cave Salamanders))

A day and a half. That's about how long Charles had been in those tunnels. He had come out somewhere in the mountains and was heading traveling outwards, away from all tunnel-and-mountain-related parts of the island.

He had gotten out of the cave around noon, but it was night now, the sun he worked so hard to find had fallen beneath the horizon, the stars and moon taking it's place. His flashlight was off, it had been dimmed from nearly a day and and a half of constant use, so he left it off when the sun set.... Though, he was having trouble navigating the mountainside in the dark.

Charles sat down on a rock that seemed like a decent stand in for chair, or at least the best nearby.

The announcement came back to his mind. He had been thinking of it since he heard it down there in those tunnels. Nineteen people were dead, that was almost a death an hour. That rate likely increased today, and tomorrow it would again... that rate would only slow when there were too few people to keep up that death rate, and wouldn't stop until only one person was left... unless something happened to stop it... something....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
As Charles started to close his eyes in an attempt to focus his thoughts, a familiar voice broke his concentration. It was Maddy Stone.

"He has a plan."

Charles stared at her in disbelief, not at her words, although he didn't really believe those either, but at her sudden appearance. He had been almost certain he wouldn't live to see anyone he really considered a friend, or that they wouldn't live to see him, but sitting there right in front of him was Maddy Stone.

"...Maddy," Charles whispered. "Maddy!" He repeated excitedly, swooping in to hug her. "I- I thought I'd never see you again."

Breaking his embrace, Charles stood up and took several steps back. "Don't worry about our normal discussions, right now... Right now we have far more immediate concerns than the existence or non-existence of the divine anyway, besides..." Charles sighed before continuing, "Besides, we've both conceded that the only way to get true proof of the afterlife would be to go there and... Well, we'll likely find out for ourselves sooner than we thought, so discussing it is waste of time that's better spent elsewhere."

TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Charles sat back down on his rock, and lowered his gaze toward the ground. He listened closely to Maddy's words, thinking.... He had been thinking about it during most of his trek through those tunnels, but could they...? He let out a deep sigh.

"Maddy..." He began, "I - I've been thinking." He paused a moment, before continuing, "About that, I mean, the lack of rescue."

"Survival of the Fittest has long been something I've had a problem with, for obvious reasons, and it always bothered me that the islands were so hard to find even though there should have been enough information from the camera feeds to narrow the search considerably, and with the number of nations that would be willing to search... They should have been able to mount a rescue..."

He looked up and turned his head to look at Maddy, "But then I realized - Man, it was so obvious why didn't I see it sooner? - I realized that, you know... Everyone thinks SotF broadcasts live, but what if it doesn't? If it's on a delay they could take all the countermeasures they needed to slow the information leak... even a few hours can make a few methods of search more inaccurate."

Sighing, he continued, the timbre of dismay in his voice growing more clear. "Unfortunately, if I'm right about that, then we can't count on rescue, and that means escape would be even more difficult than we thought."

His eyes then seemed to light up, a definite change in his demeanor from before, "BUT! Even if we can't escape it doesn't mean we're powerless! I have an idea!"

Charles stood up to stretch his legs, "If we get as many of the remaining students to join up and stop killing each other... That rule where if there isn't a death for a whole day they'll blow all the collars. Danya spent a lot of money on this, if we sit around being boring he won't make enough to recoup his losses. If we can make the organization fall even one game before it would naturally, we'll have saved hundreds of lives!"

He sat back down and shook his head, "Sorry, that was all... disorganized. I had a lot in my mind I needed to get out. In case you didn't catch what I said; I think getting Danya to blow everyone's collars would lose him money and viewers, and maybe inspire the next class to try the same, eventually SotF will wither and die, potentially saving hundreds or thousands of people... So Maddy! How about it? Up for becoming a martyr?"

TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Charles had been aware that not everyone would be fond of his plan, that was part of the reason why he had waited until he met someone he knew before saying it, but having someone like that overhear him telling someone else about it for the first time was so... inconvenient.

"Listen, we can talk about this," He said calmly, "we aren't forcing anybody into it. We'll ask people if they want to join and if they don't...." It didn't look like she was liking this, he'd have to find a way to get him and Maddy out of there.

"Okay, calm down. Do you want some water? You should drink some water, here." Charles kneeled down slowly to open his pack taking out a bottle of water and rolled it towards Clio.

He leaned over to Maddy and whispered, "We need to get out of here. We run on the count of three, alright? One... Two... THREE!" Grabbing only his SotF-assigned bag, he ran.

((Charles Richard Dawson continued in Fight or Flight))

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply