Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
instinct•algorithm; TOPIC CLOSED
Topic Started: Oct 1 2010, 04:09 AM (4,999 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Maddy Stone continued from Take, Eat))

She was a bit cleaner after crossing a river and attempting to clean her clothes in it. The downshot was that she had spent the better part of day two sopping wet and freezing cold as a result, despite the summer relative warmth. About this time, the announcements had come over on the tannoy, and she winced at each one, most of whom she knew. They were all people, individuals, but now they had something in common, namely being dead.

Having finally dried off, and taken the most uncomfortable nap of her life near some trees, she had slept off most of the afternoon, and decided on a whim that it was better to walk at night. She had good eyesight, perhaps that would be useful to her at some point.

For a long time the mountain had loomed ahead of her, and she had known for most of this time that she was going to climb it. It wasn't a huge mountain, but she figured that many of her less phyically able classmates would balk at the sight of it, and hopefully the psychopaths would be down there trying to catch them. Trekking up a path that had apparently been built by the previous inhabitants of the island (either that or an extremely enterprising classmate), Maddy held her rosary in her hands, twisting it between her fingers, muttering prayers as she walked. She hadn't prayed so much in years. But her words were constantly directed towards God. Please, give me strength. Give me the strength to resist hurting anyone, give me the strength to keep going.

Though she had no idea how he could save her now. The only way to win was to kill everyone else, which she couldn't do. But if she lay down and did nothing and surrendered, where did that leave her?

Stumbling on a loose stone, she fell forwards, cutting her palms on the gravel. Scrabbling round she worked her way into a seated position and inspected the damage. Not too bad, a superficial graze, just enough to sting for the next hour without any further complications, she hoped. Standing up, she kept walking, looking for somewhere more sheltered that she could clean the wounds. Rounding a corner, she spotted Charles sitting on a rock, though the darkness meant she didn't know who it was until she was pretty close. Recognising him, she sat down on the ground beside him with a faintly amused irritable air.

"Don't," she said, before he could say anything. Maddy fully expected a Charles Richard Dawson anti-religion rant, and right now, she wasn't really in the mood to defend her God (though naturally, she would). Unzipping her duffel bag, she rooted around for the first aid kit and a bottle of water and started washing the wound. "He has a plan." She realised with sudden pressing urgency that at least one of them would be dead in the next few days, and she bent her head to disguise the sick feeling this brought on in her, her dark hair falling across her face.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
So relieved to see someone she knew, someone who cared about her enough to be glad to see her, that when Charles wrapped his arms around her she found tears beginning to form in her eyes. It was broken too quickly and hastily she wiped the back of her hand underneath her eyes and resumed looking at the floor. He talked about the afterlife, that there was no doubt they would both being seeing far sooner than either of them had intended to. And it scared her. Whatever Heaven might be, whatever He might have planned for her there, it would be without her family; for a while at least. There was so much she still had to do on this planet, places she never went, people she never met. A husband she would never have and children she would never raise.

"Yeah.." she said quietly, not really wanting to think about it aand agreeing that it was pointless. For the first time their usual arguments had been rendered pointless, what did it matter if you were going to find out soon anyways? "I wish it didn't have to be this way," she lowered her voice automatically, lest someone, a camera her main focus, should hear them. "Surely there is some way we can..." Maddy trailed off, looking irritably at the sky, managing to pull her eyes from the ground.

"Oh I don't know," she shrugged, outwardly her expression neutral (though her slightly red eyes gave her away as being far from neutral). Inwardly she was praying like she'd never prayed before: praying for a reason, praying to save her own skin. "This is all so unreal, why can't the Government, or someone, why can't they find us?" she demanded suddenly, not being able to figure out how an island of this size hadn't been found.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
As Charles talked about the time lag, Maddy checked her watch. She was tempted to say the time to the camera, one of which she could see, pointing directly at them. But a quick touch of her fingertips to the collar at her neck put that idea out of her head. Was telling the time a collar blowing offence? Her watch was still aligned to CDT, which would actually possibly be useful to someone watching them. But she couldn't bring herself to do it; not in such a calculated way, anyhow. She needed someone to ask her the time, or to ask someone else what the time was. She needed to lose her watch. Meanwhile, Charles was telling her his plan.

And she sat, open mouthed.

Was it a good plan? She didn't know. It was an idea, for sure, and she could see how he'd arrived at that conclusion. But then he wanted to know if she was willing to be a martyr. Would that make her a saint one day? Maddy allowed herself half a second of iagining this, before realising that there would be over two hundred saints in the same category as herself. Even as she thought this, Clio Gabriella appeared out of nowhere, apparently having overheard them. First the gun was pointed at Charles, but then it swung around until, for the second time in the last three days, Maddy Stone found herself starting down the barrel of a gun.

She wondered where Belle and Jackie, whom she had been sort of travelling with, had gotten to.

Maybe it was the fact that she'd escaped her first one unscathed that Maddy found herself feeling much less afraid this time around. Whatever it was, she was strangely calm, and removed from the proceedings. So when asked if she was going to go with Charles' plan, she shrugged mildly and pointed at the cross hanging around her neck.
"If I kill anyone I'm going to hell," she said simply. "And I get the feeling that, however we go about it, I'm going to find out what's on the other side soon anyway..."
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
((Sorry for messing up post order, but Maddy should probably get out before Clio))

"We run on the count of three, alright? One two, THREE"

That was not enough time for her to get moving. As Charles was getting up and running, Maddy found herself hastily shoving the first aid kit back into her duffel bag and struggling to her feet. Not looking at Clio, whom she fully expected would follow them in seconds, she trotted after Charles, more quick off the mark than she had expected. Picing up pace she found herself running past Jackie and Belle, whom she called out to in a cursory gesture.

"I think I'm running!" she said, "but good luck!" Not entirely sure if they heard her good luck or not, Maddy found herself picking up speed as she started to catch up with Charles. For the first time in a long while Maddy was grateful for the fact that she'd gone to hockey, was reasonably healthy, and could run if she needed to. The wind whipped past her face, and it was strangely... exhilarating... to be on the run from a dangerous force, someone who had killed someone on the first day. Of course, who knew how accurate the announcement was (and Maddy herself had tried not to listen to it, but odd names had snuck in), perhaps things were dramatised to make them scared, keep them on the run? But it didn't matter, all that mattered was that she didn't really care.

Focussing on the path, Maddy noticed out of the corners of her eyes that the landscape was blurring. It could have been a beautiful view if she'd permitted herself to stop and look. As it was, she didn't even dare to turn her head and see if Clio, or anyone else for that matter, was actually following them. If she'd learnt anything from Film Studies class, it was that when the heroine (or the sidekick, as Maddy was forced to admit she probably was in this situation) looked behind them while running, they immediately fell over.

And that was not going to happen, Maddy decided resolutely. You are going to be a coordinated person, and not fall over at the first sight of trouble. Please, God, help me to successfully run away from the poor, possibly slightly crazy, person who may or may not be planning to kill me right now. And please, give her the strength to realise that killing is not the way forward, and that perhaps, just perhaps, Charles has a good idea...

The wind on her face was refreshing.

((Maddy Stone continued in Fight or Flight))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply