Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
So What Do We Do Now?
Topic Started: Sep 25 2010, 10:00 PM (3,134 Views)
Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Ben Powell continued from Conquistador))

Ben was talking to himself again.

It was a small thing. He used to do it when he was young, talk to his annoying brain about ideas and questions that probably didn't matter. The doctors had shrugged it off as a stress relief function. Had he been bullied at school, had he been getting along well with others, blah de blah de blah. After a year of it, he finally stopped doing it. Apparently. Well, at least taking to yourself in your mind was probably better than out loud. That marked you as going slightly off the beaten track.

With a glance at the trees, he gave a sigh. Woodlands. More and more and more woodlands. According to the map, it stretched through almost a quarter of the whole island, possibly more. It was even more annoying that it was near impossible to navigate through it. No tracks were explicitly marked on the thing at that kind of detail. All he could do was strike off the dangerzones and make sure he was walking away from them.

Sleeping for Ben was easy. He just laid out on the dirt, pack at his head, and started to sleep. The problem is where he slept. In the end, he decided that some sort of hiding spot would be needed, but hiding in a forest? In the dark? He was better off just staying on the ground in the first place. Every few hours, his eyes shot open. Was that a twig snap? Wind rustling the leaves? Oh what he would have given to sleep in even a tent.

And now he was up. Blerry eyed, paintball gun glued to his hand. No friends. Because they were all either dead, ran away or goddamn killers now, weren't they? Oh, the choices. And where did he fit into all this?

Do you want to be the hero for these next few days? Or do you want to be a killer for the rest of your life?
Ben gave an almost creepy laugh. "I still hadn't figured that out yet."

And then he heard an echo in the distance. Someone else was laughing.

Ben swished the marker up in the general direction of the sound, before realising that it wasn't aimed at him. It was a random person in the middle of nowhere. What to do, what to do? His body shook in both fear and anticipation. After seeing Paige... well, you can't see much worse, can you?

You're going to have to make the decision very soon, Ben.
"Not this soon... I don't..."
This soon. Make a choice.

And then he blinked.

"Are you a player?"

"ARE YOU A PLAYER?!"
B069 Ben Powell: That's a bout. Salute. Shake hands.
G052 Sapphire McLeod: The Youngest Was The Most Loved
G084 Eve Walker-Luther: The Prime Time Of Your Life

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not a player. Anna Chase. Bit of an oddball. Nerd?
"Shut up, brain."
She's not going to kill you. Are you going to kill her?

Slowly, very slowly, Ben walked forwards.

There she was. Black hair ran down her scared face. Glasses, or just lines around her eyes. Short. Slightly bony. Pale like a ghost. Black garb on her body. He never really noticed her at school that much. She was into that cartoon anime thing, wasn't she? That was the only thing he could remember from her. A slightly dark oddball.

"Ben Powell."

He didn't realise that he was pointing the paintball gun at her for a few seconds. Almost as if she was an animal. Something to shoot. His enemy. Now was the time. He didn't have a choice, did he? Play or die. Kill or be killed. There wasn't any point in being a hero, was there? Go on. Shoot her in the eyeballs. Blind the bitch and choke her. Succumb to the game. Go on. Do it. His chest heaved at the thought, blood running through him, heart beating. You ain't the hero.

"I... I'm not playing."

And he pried his shaking hands off the gun, forcing them to his sides.

You think you can defend this person? Like Jacob? Paige?

Exhaling, he shook his head. "Fuck... you scared me. I... well, I'm kinda edgy right now. Can I sit? I don't know what I'm doing anymore."

Wimp.
Shut up, brain. I'm going to get everyone off this island. I can. Somehow.

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ben slipped his pack off and rested it against a blackened stump. OK, so she wanted to have him not pointing things at her. Fair enough. With a sigh, he moved to attach the marker back onto his pacHispaintballgunwascrudelyshovedonastraponthebackpackSHUTTHEFUCKUPIAMNOTAFUCKINGNA

Gasping, his grip on the plastic went rock solid, making his hand go white from the pressure. "I'd... prefer to have something in my hands. Just in case. Don't worry, paintballs ain't toxic. It's a paintball gun."

Sliding down, he crossed his legs on the lumpy ground, clicking the safety back on the marker and resting it in his legs. The same situation wouldn't happen twice. No, he wasn't going to let go of his little bit of safety against people who thought his friends would be easy. That he would be an easy kill. He closed his eyes and shook his head.

"Are you... y'know... alright?"

With pain, he opened them again. Alright? Alright. Right. Well. Correct. Not bad. Giving a twitch, he thought. Was he... OK? Maybe he should just say yes. But that would mean... no. Looking into Chase's eyes, he started to spill.

"Well. I just had my best friend's girlfriend killed before my very eyes, my best friend's run off into the wilderness with a fucked up leg, my ex-girlfriend's is one of the top killers on the island, another friend who I cared for died, I've slept for about 6 hours on and off trying to convince myself that no-one was going to kill me in my sleep, and I've got about two days worth of water left before I'm empty."

He swallowed down air before continuing, his emotions flowing like a river. "I've... I spent an hour yesterday wondering whether I should kill myself to save the trouble. And you know what? I couldn't think of one reason why I shouldn't pull this fucking collar and blow my head off! I actually thought about committing suicide and it was an actual logical choice!. I... I never thought I would ever try to fucking kill myself! And... and you know what I wanted to do on this trip? All I wanted to do is to sit down with my friends and play fucking UNO!"

And then he blinked.

"...that's what I forgot. The uno cards. Of course. Fuck."

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
His chest felt lighter as the silence went through the woods. Ben just stared at Chase, listening to her. Maybe they were more alike than he first thought. Although he didn't get mugged, or see a chainsawed body. No, he was lucky, he just saw a shot, a bullet wound. And he didn't... wait, mugged? Like... Ben shuddered. No, not like that. Just had her bag or something taken away. Ben felt delusional. He didn't get enough sleep last night, for sure.

"Look. If you want, I c-could stay with you. You know, help each other out?"

The words rang through his mind. Stay with her. Just for a while. Until the end. Wouldn't that be fine? Look after each other until the end. That's what he had promised Jacob. He should have ran after him. But no, he had to just stand aside.

I still say we shoot-
We're not shooting anyone. We're not murderers. I'm not a murderer.
What do you call shooting someone in the chest? An accident?
No. He was... he had a different way of trying to survive.
...I hope you're right.

Swallowing, he tried to speak. "I... I'd think... I..."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Looking around, he saw a shadow come out into the light. He looked as if he had been through hell and came out the other side a different man. More scared. More sad. More... something... not human. And on his hands, a red, bloody chainsaw.

He felt Anna tense up next to him at the sight. This was the person she was talking about, right? The person who had killed her friend. Unconsciously, he clicked the safety button off on the marker. A killer? What should they do? Run? Fight? Live? Die? Slowly, he slipped his backpack shoulder straps back on.

"So. Did you have a nice day one, stranger?"

With shaky hands, he rose the paintball gun, aiming it at the human mass, sliding between it and Anna.

Oh, yay. Hero time. Bets on how long you last.

Shaking his head, he glanced at Chase. "Do you want to leave, partner? I'll follow."

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Ex- Explain?" Ben blinked twice, trying to get those words into his mind.

He's a killer! He's lying!
What is he lying about?
OH FOR GODS SAKES-

Ben mentally kicked his voice into it's office and locked the door. For once, he wanted answers. Then again, he didn't really have a lot of questions. Shrugging off that thought, he started to rise up, pack on back, gun shaking like a leaf.

"Look. You've killed. She told me. Why the fuck should I trust someone who's killed? Self defence? Because it was either you or him?"

Breathing deeper through his nose, his emotions burst forth, anger running through his veins. Would it be justice to exact revenge?

"Come on, mate, tell me."

It wouldn't get their bodies back.
But it would make him feel better.

"How did it feel to remove their lives?"

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

Dropbear
Member Avatar
Actually a cat.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Was he telling the truth?
Of course he isn't, everyone will paint themselves as the good guy, the person that "had to do what they had to do".
Yeah, but that didn't rule out the fact that he probably was attacked. In that sort of situation, shoot first and ask questions later would keep you alive.
In a game like this, it's practically encouraged. Face it, you'd probably do it as well.
...wait, who's side are you on now?
Yours.
And you just said something that would make me try to help him.
Wait, really? Goddamnit, get the fuck out of here, Mr. Nice Bunny, you're not needed here.
So, what are we doing?
I dunno, it's your call.
...and here I was thinking you had gone evil on me.

Looking into Alex's eyes, he nodded. "Three conditions. One: You follow my rules. Run, hide, defend, whatever. And two: Get rid of the goddamn chainsaw, you look like a crappy horror villain." Getting up, he buckled his backpack back on. "And three: you have to convince Chase as well."

Without another word, he started to walk, following Anna's tracks.

[[Ben Powell continued in Wind in the Willow]]
Edited by Dropbear, Jan 27 2011, 05:55 AM.

Game Over. Continue?
> y

Jamie Snicket

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Coastal · Next Topic »
Add Reply