Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Missing Those Lost; En route to Parish
Topic Started: Sep 23 2010, 11:59 PM (3,896 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Carol Burke continued from Under The Sea Is Where No One Wants To Be))

Carol had calmed down and although she was still scared for her life, she had almost returned to her energetic, optimistic self. She had not spoken much as they hiked, but it was clear she was getting better. Of course she was.

She knew very well she was going to make it, of course. Her and her friends.

And she did have a reason to live.

"Hey Carol?"

She looked up at the other three teenagers. As they ate their breakfast at the airport's McDonalds', one could notice a sadness in the air. Her three friends had decided to see her off before she had gone on the trip, and so they helped her family with luggage and things like that. Very soon, Carol and her family would be on a plane trip to St. Paul, to start a new life. It was because of her parents' work, and she knew very well that she had no say in the manner. So, her things were packed, and they were on their way.

But... her friends. She knew very well that she wasn't able to hang out with them anymore, aside from talking to them online, on the phone, and other methods. But, she wasn't sure if she was ready just yet. She had been alternating from watching her friends eat the processed breakfast food to staring at her own food and poking at it with her food for the past few seconds.

"Yes, Whitney?" she looked at the girl in front of her.

"I just want you to know..."

Carol listened in with nervousness, wondering what she had to say. It was as if Whitney didn't know what to say, but wanted to say it.

"... You've been a good friend. All three of us will miss you."

Whitney attempted a smile, but it came off sad. It struck Carol to the core, seeing her like this. The other two looked up from their meals, and added their thoughts in.

"You're returning to Nevada, once... you know... right?"

Carol, without realizing it, gave a sad smile to one of the boys looking at her. "Yeah... graduation..."

She stared down at the plate again, as if there was some sort of entertainment to be held in mass-produced eggs and hashbrowns. But, the other boy spoke up.

"Hey, don't give us that look! It's only a year, right? And aren't you like... planning to go to a college here or something?"

Carol looked up again, and in spite of everything, smiled. Oh Alan. He had always been the trickster sort. And even at a time like this, he always had something to say. Always. And right now, he had almost a playful grin on his face.

The previous boy piped up again. "Fuck, Alan, it's not like the girl is happy to go", he mumbled, giving him a playful nudge on the arm.

"Whatever you say... Dad."

See? Just like old times. Alan and Jake always "argued" like this, but in the end, they were good friends. Just like they were with her and Whitney.

Whitney spoke again, to prevent yet another one of the pseudo-arguments these two had. "Well, don't worry Carol. We'll contact you on IM and such, okay?"

"Okay..." she smiled.

Once it came time to go to the airport, the four teenagers helped get the luggage out of the car, and soon everything was set. As it came time to go into the terminal, Carol found a pair of arms wrapped around her.

"Whitney...?"

As the smaller girl looked up at her, Carol saw that she was crying. That really said it all.

Eventually, though, the Burke family had to board the plan. Carol waved behind her as she left, and soon she was in the boarding area. After presenting her ticket and boarding the plane, she placed herself in a seat next to her parents. After a bit of waiting, a flight attendant appeared, and the captain began telling the passengers about the emergency exits and such. But Carol only stared out of the plane's window. And soon, it took off, leaving Carson City looking like a small model with ant sized cars.

She missed her friends. So much. Sure, she loved being part of the Entourage, and she had talked to them each day, but she wanted to hang out with them again.

But, she still thought she was going to make it. There were a lot of reasons why it couldn't work a fourth time. She didn't know much about Survival of the Fittest, but logically, it wasn't as if the government didn't know anything. The broadcasts were coming from somewhere, and there was more than enough information being put out. Danya was going to get caught, and then imprisoned for his crimes.

Heck, she wanted to find the rest of the Entourage, and with Kari, Simon, and Rein, plan an epic escape. He had said that if he saw someone planning to leave, he would kill them, but it didn't mean that his system was foolproof. There was probably a flaw somewhere, anywhere, that could be exploited to their hearts' content. But where?

As she passed through what appeared to be the remains of a forest, she suddenly heard a banging sound. Was that gunshots? No, it sounded like... clapping?!

Suddenly, a voice came on, presumably from an intercom system of some kind. Oh god, she recognized that voice. It was the same one that had... you know... it was the one that had put them here in the first place. Carol froze on the spot, listening as it mentioned that 19 people had died.

As the announcement ended, Carol stood on the spot, looking like she had been frozen in time. No... it couldn't be...

Reika. Was fine. Paige. Was alive and well. Amber. Was up to her old antics. Reiko. Wasn't a murderer...

That was the way things were. It was the way things always were. It was the way it was supposed to be. They couldn't just get killed heartlessly by Kris Hartmann and Rob Jenkins! And Reiko was never the type to just kill two people, even if one of them was Sally Connelly. Sure, Reiko had harsh things to say sometimes, and she knew about how Sally and Reiko had a rivalry. Heck, of course she would know. But, Reiko couldn't just stab someone and kill the person who was helping her. Reiko was a good person at heart. Carol had always thought that way of her, and always trusted her.

But... why did Paige, Reika, and Amber... hell, it wasn't right. This trip was supposed to be everyone hanging out with their friends. And they were gone... vanished... hell... she wished desperately this was some sort of mistake they made, and they were safe and sound. They had to be waiting for her someplace. There was no way that...

Carol slid to her knees and dropped her things. She put her heads to her face, noticing a moistness.

No... not them... please not them!

And suddenly, that's when she broke into a sob.

They took three people she cared about away... and made one a murderer. It wasn't fair. She just wanted to see her friends again. Why did it have to be them? None of them deserved it!
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Everything seemed to be a blur as she rubbed her eyes across her face.

Oh god, they really were dead. Gone. Killed.

But what was there to do? What would happen if she met Kris or Rob? What about Reiko? If she met her, would she still be the same person that she was before? Reiko was a good person. She wasn't a cold blooded murderer!

Yes, that had to be it.

Reiko was defending herself, most definitely. The Reiko Carol had first met on the first day of school wasn't the type to be going around killing people at random, even if they were Sally. In fact, if anything, she was off looking for Reika. But... Reika was gone, and...

Carol sobbed harder.

Never again. Never again would Paige and Amber talk about gossip with each other. Never again would Reika play music. Never again would Carol talk with them, just hanging out. They were gone, taken away from her and everyone who ever cared about them.

None of them deserved it.

Sure, Amber could be annoying at times, but in the end, she was a good person. So was Paige and Reika. And Reiko. And now... Carol couldn't save them. She couldn't save any one of them.

She was too late.

And the only thing she had worried about hours ago was some water. Some stupid water that she was freaking out over, while people she cared about were getting murdered. If she hadn't freaked out as much, could she have saved them? Maybe she could have met up with them before it was too late. She had a good weapon, she could have easily fought Kris or Robert off. And then everything would have been fine. Everyone would live.

She was only vaguely aware of someone whispering Kari's name. Where was she?

But, soon an arm wrapped around her.

Rein?

Carol looked up, and stared at him with tearful eyes.

No one needed to die...

"I'm sorry..."

But for what?

Was she embarrassed that she was crying? No... she couldn't save the Ishidas, Amber, and Paige like she wanted. What would happen if her new group died, just like them? What about Ben and Jacob? Where were they? They were still alive, right? Alive... and not killing.

And what would she do if she met Kris or Robert? What then? Could she avenge their deaths? But she knew very well that she couldn't kill.

And her group.

She had to keep them alive, too. She... just had to.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Was it really so hopeless?

She had just realized Ben and Jacob were still out there, after all. Could she save them too? She failed to save Reika, Amber, and Paige, though. And Reiko was out there... doing god knows what. Reiko was still a good person, at least in Carol's eyes. And she remembered that she was Ben's ex, while how much Paige and Jacob were in love. How were they holding up? Not very good, she could imagine. If she could find them and just simply be there for them, it would be a miracle. But, it wasn't as if she wasn't feeling bad too, though... all she wanted on this trip was for her group to hang out and do things camp-related. Not this.

Carol stared back down at the ground again. Did Kari, Simon, and Rein recognize anyone in the announcements, she wondered? Was it just her who had lost friends?

Maybe they should continue walking now. It would prevent people from trying to comfort her more, at least, and let Carol think a bit more.

A loud shout suddenly burst out of nowhere.

"Heeeey! Heeeeeey!"

Oh god, who was it now?

She looked at the source of the sound.

Hermione Miller. Carol had talked to her a few times in the past. Nice girl, as far as she could tell. Unfortunately, she also wasn't known to be particularly bright (though to be honest, that might have sounded hypocritical coming from "Cadet Carol". She seemed... disturbingly cheerful right now.

Carol could only stare as Simon told her to quiet down, but Hermione continued on, rambling about... camp food. Carol clenched her fist. Did she not know where she was?! She was just running around asking about breakfast and even just after the announcement, she was happy and cheerful and bright-eyed and-

That's when Carol gritted her teeth.

It took a lot to get her upset at other people. Normally, when Carol got upset, it was at a game, not an actual, physical person. But Hermione was really pushing it. How could she be so happy? And she even thought they were playing hide and seek. She was starting to get on her nerves, to be honest. Now was definitely not the best time. Maybe earlier or later, she would have been nicer to her, helping her out, and explaining things to her.

But now? She really wasn't in the mood.

"Hermione... I'm really not in a good mood right now. We don't have any breakfast food aside from bread and water, and... did you even hear the announcement? Really?" she snapped.

She placed her face in her hands again, wiping her eyes a bit. The tears had stopped for the moment, but she clearly wasn't in the best shape. Her eyes had become tinged with red from all the crying that she did, for starters, and was just starting to sting.

What was she going to do now?

Maybe they should go back to walking. Maybe they should look for Ben and Jacob, or possibly even Reiko, and anyone Simon, Rein, and Kari wanted to look for. She really had no clue. Should they continue talking to Hermione? But then what?
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Simon had tried to defuse the situation, by saying that there was no way they could be happy after what had happened to them so far, and there wasn't much they can do. Soon, candy bars were being handed out. As they flew about, Hermione had asked about whether she can have one.

But, something had appeared in Hermione's eyes for a brief second. Carol didn't know what. All she knew was that she was smiling. What for, Carol didn't know. However, it unnerved her. That wasn't a smile of happiness. It just looked... wrong.

After a while, Carol noticed that she was touching her collar, as if she had realized it was there. The odd look remained on her face. That's when Carol realized she had remembered what had happened, and was currently deep in thought.

A few seconds passed, and then she spoke.

"Goodbye."

Hermione's hands reached to grab the collar... oh god. She was going to do it. Someone had to stop her.

"Hermione no-!" Carol screamed.

But it was too late. The next few moments were a blur to her. Someone rushing in front of her, Simon shouting, the loud blasting noise only a few feet away, an object landing just in front of her...

Oh god, she did it. She actually did it.

Hermione Miller had just died in front of them, and they could've done nothing to stop her. Could they? They had no warning, and it was too quick. But still, she blew up only a few feet away from them. They could have helped her, they could have done something for her...

Carol had fallen on her rear as the explosion happened, and it seemed to only hurt Hermione. So, she was safe and uninjured. But, something was touching her shoe. A look towards her feet, and she saw what it was. She couldn't believe it, but there it was. Despite better judgement, she crawled right over to the object, and with shaking hands, hesitantly lifted the object up.

The explosion had crudely decapitated Hermione, throwing her head right in Carol and Rein's direction. What she was holding was what was left of her skull, still smiling even after death. Carol dropped the thing with a loud scream. Oh god, why did she have to pick it up? It just made things worse. She put her hands to her head, trembling and once again on the verge of tears. Someone just died in front of them! And there was nothing they could do...

They had to get out of here. She looked around very quickly. Rein and Simon were talking to... someone who had been here? It looked to be one of Rein's friends, at the very least. Simon seemed suspicious of him, of course, judging by the gun pointing at the other guy. Simon seemed ill, but Rein seemed relieved at finding his friend. But...

"Guys! I really think that it's a good idea to uh... leave..." she started, looking off into the distance. "I really don't think I could..."

She wasn't able to finish that sentence. The past few minutes had stayed with her, and she didn't want to stay with what was once Hermione any longer. Carol turned around, and after grabbing her things, ran as fast as she could. She hoped that the others would follow.

Anything to get away from Hermione.

((Carol Burke continued elsewhere))
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply