Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cold, Wet, and Tired
Topic Started: Sep 22 2010, 09:13 PM (1,748 Views)
Ciel
Member Avatar
"That’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler.”
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Jessica Pentangeli continued from Mad World)

The ocean was beautiful. Jessica couldn't help herself. She just stared.

Jessica had never seen the ocean. Her parents always told her about the time she went to Florida but she was three at the time. The pictures, the videos, the descriptions did not even capture a fraction of just how beautiful the ocean was. The slowly falling sun reflected off the water, a beautiful picture to be sure. A Kodak moment. If Jessica had a camera.

At first, Jessica was worried that Alex herself was getting them lost. The urge to tell Alex this grew every step. Yet they did have a destination. The ocean. What a destination that was. Alex was still up ahead. Jessica stumbled out onto the sand, having difficulty keeping her balance. The sand sunk beneath her feet and she had to go very slowly. She finally made it to where Alex was. She didn't say anything. She just looked back, wondering if Joshua followed them.

Evelyn. Yes, the girl in the distance was Evelyn, one of the cheerleaders. She looked to be crying, at least from where Jessica was standing. It felt inappropriate to be calling out to her, and had she the nerve she would have called Alex out on this. Even so the cheerleaders never bothered with Jessica in school so why should she do the same in return? Jessica didn't expect much less.

As far as Jessica was concerned, the cheerleaders were just mean. They were always making fun of other kids and then act like it's loser's problem for being different. If they died than so be it. Better to have them die than the kids they tortured.

Jessica blinked. She felt her heart. It was pounding.

She shook her head and just kept quiet. She didn't know Evelyn and quite frankly she didn't want to know. Friend of Alex or not, Jessica wasn't about to trust her. Even if she were crying, even if her best friend was dead, even if SHE were dying. Let Alex do the talking. Besides, Jessica had spoken enough for one day.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessica stared out over the ocean and wondered briefly if she couldn't just hide. Stay away from the crazies, keep her head low and avoid getting involved. Yes. That sounded like a perfect idea. Better than killing. Maybe she could build a raft and float, away from the death and destruction. There would be boats out there waiting for her but she didn't need to go out that far. All she'd have to do is wait until everyone else was dead. Maybe she would get lucky and get past the guards. There might be an uncharted island out there, one that Jessica could call her own. She could just land there and make a home for herself. It would be Jessica's island, no one else's. Everything would be hers for the taking.

Then Jessica hesitated when she realized she would be dreadfully alone. No one else apart from the mad animals that would no doubt kill her. Both sides of her clashed. She didn't want to be involved but she didn't want to be alone. She didn't want to hurt but she certainly did not want to shut herself away by her lonesome.

Maybe it would okay if Alex came along. Oh, but they had to find Roman too. Jessica was not really friendly with Roman but she knew him. And if she found Nick... that would be all she needed. She would be happy. She-

Evelyn started laughing, sending Jessica crashing back into the real world. She was caught off guard by the display of laughter. It seemed very out of place. Why was she laughing? Wasn't she just crying a minute ago? Jessica registered this as blunt sarcasm, a very obvious conclusion to say the least. It still didn't answer her question. Did Jessica miss something? Jessica turned to look at Alex and realized she had walked over to the others, and she felt the need to take a few steps forward. It was clear that Evelyn had not noticed her. She saw Jessica but only in the same vain of someone noticing another person on the same elevator as them. Turn to Alex. Oh, there was another girl. Turn back to Tyler. Jessica didn't expect anything less.

Jessica recognized Tyler from one of his classes. Jessica and Tyler had to work on a project together, so she was vaguely aware of who he was. Geeky, strong, friendly but not overbearing. Not like Nick, who could sound overly happy without shooting a smile. Sort of a contradiction, though one that didn't feel necessary to point out. He was cute, Jessica summarized, but nothing to write home about.

"Hi Tyler," Jessica said with a wave, and left it at that.

Jessica turned back to Evelyn. Deep under all of that superiority, she was just scared. Like Jessica. It was perhaps the only thing the two girls had in common. Evelyn was in shape, beautiful, well liked. Jessica was weak, plain, a silhouette. Even so, behind the confident sarcasm that Evelyn spat there was a ounce of fear. Maybe she wasn't so different. Jessica certainly did not like the girl but should that matter?

Alex said her name. Jessica twisted her head.

"W-What?" Jessica whimpered nervously. She hadn't been paying much attention to what Alex was saying. She quickly nodded. "O-Oh, um, yeah, sure."

Jessica turned away, looking at nothing in particular. She sat heavily on the Evelyn's words. It wasn't good though. Jessica didn't care that much for the girl but she wished someone had spoken to her, told her that she wasn't alone. Then again Jessica had never seen a man burn alive so maybe it was worse for Evelyn.

"E-Excuse me."

Jessica waved, trying to get Evelyn's attention.

"I'm not great at words but..." Jessica looked over at Alex for reassurance. "It's just... hard being able to switch off from how we used to act, y'know? I'm still in shock, everyone's still in shock. So maybe it's just hard for some people to really grasp our situation. A-And... I've never seen someone burn to death but I have seen a murderer smile at me after he had just killed someone. It's..."

Jessica's face grew sour. "It was the sickest thing I have ever witnessed in my entire life. I just wanted to crawl up into a ball and die. S-So I can understand just a little of the pain you're feeling, I think, and I know it might seem like everyone's out to get you. But... I'm- WE'RE not here because we want something from you. Alex and me are here because we're scared, just like Tyler and everyone else. If you - if we're just a pest to you, then we can just leave. The last thing I want to do is burden you. We're not here to take anything from you, and I... hope the feeling's mutual."

It sounded a lot more mopey than Jessica hoped. She almost felt like Eeyore for a second, but it got her point across. Jessica just hoped Evelyn didn't spit out her words and say that she "didn't need her pity." That would make her feel even worse.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessica's long-winded speech fell on dead ears. Jessica grew quiet again. Of course. Why didn't she see that coming? It was as if she expected her opinion to actually matter. The announcements arrived soon enough, bombarding her with a steep list of names. People Jessica barely knew. No names that really mattered. Jessica tuned it all out, same as before.

MUCH more entertaining was our next kill, with Nick-

"D-Don't you think that's a little much Nick?"

Nick looked away from his large section of pie, gaping at Jessica. "Jessie, there's no such thing as too much pie."

"-Reid doing the honours by smashing Tom Guthrie's face into a fine paste using a rock wall..."

Jessica let out a deep breath as her nerves relaxed. He was safe... Nick was being happy someplace else. The announcement arrived at it's end and Jessica's blood went cold. The announcement said something about The Key. It took her a moment to register what she had heard. Alex had told her where they were going. It had a name - the Key. They were at the Key. She was in a dangerzone. Paranoia rocked her feeble little body and she shrunk back even more. She didn't move.

Alex was leaving. Tyler was leaving

Yet Jessica stayed seconds after they started.

They didn't notice that she had not moved. Jessica would have worried about this, but not now.

The ocean. She didn't want to leave it. She wanted to stay here and watch the ocean. The ocean was beautiful.

It was stupid though, a thought popped, to stay with the ocean. The ocean will not be your friend. It doesn't care.

Jessica murmured to herself, her hand clasping over her heart. Brushed her throat. Rubbed the metal around her neck. What should she do? Should she stay?

Yes. No.

Jessica looked back behind her. Alex fell out of sight now. Jessica was alone. The announcement had ended a few minutes ago and the only sound left was the ocean's desperate cries. Every shudder and every moan that hung in the air sent a twinge of pain coursing through Jessica's spine. Her body was stiff. It made want to lay down. No, she told herself. She would have to move on. Death would come soon. Peaceful, quick, sufficient. So Jessica turned and started to walk away.

The waves beckoned to her one last time, pleading for her. Jessica stopped. She looked back at the ocean one last time before she moved on.

(Jessica Pentangeli continued in Fucking Compasses... How Do They Work?)
Edited by Ciel, Oct 14 2010, 03:26 PM.
V6

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Key · Next Topic »
Add Reply