Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Milk of Human Kindness; Open
Topic Started: Sep 21 2010, 03:49 PM (3,830 Views)
Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
(Andrew Mitchell continued from My Kingdom for a Plan!.)

As Andrew walked down the sandy beach, he couldn't help but remember the only time he had actually gone to the beach with his family. To celebrate his older brother's acceptance into Stanford University, the whole Mitchell family had flown down to California and spent one whole month there. Both of their parents said that it was so Raphael had plenty of time to get acquainted with the area and find things to move into his apartment, but he and his older brother joked that it was so they could go soak up the sun and actually take a look at the ocean, a sight that their homes hadn't really afforded them. Her younger sister, Gabriel, definitely wanted to go spend time at the beach than 'some boring old school' and spent most of the time during their guided tour of the Stanford campus lounging in the library and surfing the internet.

'That was definitely a fun vacation...' Andrew thought happily to himself, remembering the framed photo he had kept on his desk back home. He let out a sigh as reality came back to smash him in the face, reminding him of just where exactly he was. He wondered if his parents were going frantic over him...they probably were, if he knew anything about them. It had already been a day since the game started and already so many people...He rapidly shook his head. 'No. No thinking about it. This is bad enough without thinking about the people who have died.'

When the announcements had started, Andrew had immediately tried to shut it out, for once thanking his daydreaming mind as he let it wander. Tuning out the smug sound of Danya's voice and letting it fade to the background, he had instead thought about his older brother and his studying in Stanford. It wasn't that hard to do. He had been tired throughout the whole day and he hadn't even taken the time to sleep ever since waking up in the woods. For the past...however many hours he had kept himself moving, running and walking across the island and hoping to find some people who were slightly more inviting than the ones he had encountered at his starting point.

He hadn't, for better or for worse, and he was beginning to think that he'd never find another living soul on the island, which honestly would have suited him just fine. If he didn't meet anyone else, he wasn't in any danger of dying by someone else's hand and he would never have to kill someone to protect his own life or someone else's. 'And,' a darker part of his mind whispered, 'you won't be tempted to shoot someone in the face for looking at you silly.'

Andrew shivered, his hand immediately going for the gun he kept concealed behind his back. He hadn't used it yet, but the temptation to actually take it in his hands and fire the weapon was growing with every passing hour. It was a gun, after all...he had never even touched a gun before his stint in SotF and immediately the childish, curious part of his soul was "Shoot it! Shoot it! See how it feels to fire! You're never going to get a chance like this again!" That had been easy to ignore and erase, at least. But then that dark side had spoken up, giving him easy justifications for firing. "You need practice. Just in case. Just fire it once, just to make sure you can aim it correctly. Just in case one of your classmates goes on a rampage and tries to kill you. Just in case."

That had been harder to resist. It made sense, after all. Even if he had read the manual, true learning didn't come from reading words, it came from actually doing the things the words were describing. It was something like that and Andrew just grumbled wordlessly to himself, scratching the back of his head as he continued on his solo journey.

It was only because he heard something that wasn't the endless pounding of the surf that he looked up and saw that he wasn't alone anymore. There were...three other guys on the beach, one of whom he somewhat recognized as a fellow sprinter. A name wasn't coming to mind and names nor faces were coming to mind for the other two there. Still, they seemed to be rather busy...trying to dig into the soft sand? He could also spot students that were just...lying on the ground and fear momentarily struck him. 'Oh god, did I just walk into the aftermath of some fight? No way...shit, shit! Why are they digging into the sand? Did one of them bury weapons or something?'

He quickly looked for a place to hide but the whole area was wide open, which was something he honestly should have expected considering he was on a beach. A hand whipped back to reach for his gun, but by the time he wrapped his fingers over the plastic grip, he realized that none of the boys he saw were making any violent moves. He doubted they even noticed him at the moment, so engrossed they were in their task.

Still a little cautious, he let himself calm down a bit and approach them, wondering if they would treat him with the same amount of standoffishness that the previous group he had run into did. He grit his teeth and shook his heads, slapping his cheeks to try to bring his thoughts back on the right track. 'Being suspicious of everyone I run into isn't something I need to do now. Unless the time comes, and I hope it never will...but until the time comes when someone I trust puts my life in danger, I'm not going to let my fears be my ruler. I've got to have hope.'

"Hey!" He shouted at them, waving a bit as he jogged over. "What's going on here? Can I help somehow?"
"Oh god dammit, I lost my sense of humor around here. Someone help me find it."

---

Approved V5 Pre-Game Characters:

Faria Young - Generals of Elysium (The Waterfront)
Annabelle Summers - Where Is My Muse? (Lunch Room)

"And who the hell came up with this play?! "Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet" ...Dude, THEY ALL DIE!"

Cosmosphere - Now Serving as a Crappy Writing Blog
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
"Yeah, uh, no problem at all." Andrew replied with a nod to the other sprinter...Isaiah was his name. He felt so much better now that he could connect a face with the person and he ran over to the other boy, his feet slogging in the sand as he knelt next to the corpse. He really wished he didn't have to, though, as he felt his stomach churn as he saw bullet hole that had been drilled into his classmate's forehead. The fact that this student, whoever it was, looked like a fat slob didn't help matters. Andrew knew it was bad to insult someone after they were dead, but they were dead and frankly didn't give a damn whether or not someone thought they had an ugly mug and enough folds of fat to suffocate someone. Andrew tried to stifle a snicker as he thought about it. He had nothing against fat people...well, he really did. Since he spent time trying to keep himself fit and make himself look good, he never really understood why others couldn't be bothered to go jogging or just lift weights for an hour to help lose some weight.

'Anyway, that's enough time mocking the dead. It really is in bad taste, after all.' Andrew thought to himself, quickly brushing away the thought of the student suddenly rising from the ground like some sort of zombie because of it. Moving away from the motionless body, he began digging into the ground with his hands. It was slow and mostly annoying work because the sand kept falling into the hole he was making, but at least he could see some progress with it. He guessed he was around halfway done when he heard someone else shouting in the distance.

'Who the hell is that?' He turned to the sound and saw someone else he barely recognized stumble over the sand and then trip and fall after a slurred mumble of something that only a drunk person would be able to fully understand. Andrew wrinkled his nose a bit but paid him no mind, going back to digging. He probably should have been concerned...after all, the person could have just been shot or stabbed in the back like some movie hero, staggering for safety before falling unconscious from blood loss. But really, from looking at him Andrew could only think that he was drunk and because of it, he really didn't give a damn about the other guy. 'Hell, I might as well put him out of his damn misery and shoot him in the head.'

Andrew froze at the rogue thought and hurriedly thought of something else. Like how one of the other grave diggers was talking to himself like some sort of crazy person. He cast a glance at the kid, wondering why he was talking to a very dead person. He also wondered where he was going to find food on the expansive beach, but just shrugged it off as he ran away. It wasn't his problem and he doubted the other kid was going to return with something like a gun and go, "Hasta la vista, grave digger suckers!"

He continued to dig. In this whole game of craziness and death, the dead should at least be honored with a grave.

---

"And who the hell came up with this play?! "Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet" ...Dude, THEY ALL DIE!"

Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
((Skipping Waffle to move the thread into Day 3 because uh...it's needed and stuff.))

Andrew wasn't keeping track of just how much time it had taken for him to finish digging the kid's grave, but the sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon when he placed the last bit of sand and stamped it down. Breathing a heavy and tired sigh of relief, he tried to get onto his feet only to collapse as they cramped up and dumped him back onto the sand. He began feeling those unpleasant tingles that came from asleep legs and feet and began massaging his tired limbs. 'I don't to do that again...that was at least twelve hours of hard work, but at least whoever that guy is has a nice grave. Probably better than everyone else who will die on this island.'

'God, I am so tired...I wonder if I should get some quick shut-eye. Hahah, who even says shut-eye anymore? Maybe Southerners do it, I dunno. Ah, I've always wanted to visit Atlanta someday. I wonder if I'll ever get the chance.' Andrew shook his head and crawled over to his bags and pulled out his medication, popping in one of his few remaining pills and swallowing. The last thing he needed was to let his mind begin to wander again. Still, he really was tired and frankly, he was tired enough to not care whether or not someone murdered him in his sleep. At least then there would be no pain and fear...unless the killer was demented and tortured him first. He winced and shivered. 'Okay, nevermind, better find a safe place that isn't a wide open beach first.'

Keeping silent, he just lay down on the beach and rested his head against his bag, staring up at the sky as the sun's rays began to wash over it. 'Well...at least I can watch stuff like this live. It's certainly beautiful.'
Edited by Tythanin, Oct 18 2010, 09:34 PM.

---

Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
The drunk and unconscious kid had woken up sometime during the digging and Andrew stopped his skygazing to sit up and get a better look at him. The other boy looked like he had been through a lot and after he explained that he had just witnessed a killing, Andrew was able to better understand why he was completely shitfaced a couple of hours back. Not that he still didn't think this Kevin kid was anyone worth allying with in the game, but beggars couldn't be choosers. 'I'm probably lucky...I haven't seen anything horrible like that yet. Still...getting so drunk you pass out doesn't seem like a good coping method. But who knows, maybe it was so gruesome....ugh, better not think about it anymore.'

Isaiah gave his own clipped greeting and immediately followed with a farewell. Andrew just gave him a wave as the black runner walked off, a little disappointed that he hadn't stayed around to form a possible alliance. But Isaiah seemed to be more interested in finding random people to help like some sort of modern-day saint and Andrew silently wished him the best as he disappeared from sight. Turning his attention back to Kevin, he gave the hungover kid a short nod.

"Andrew Mitchell. I helped bury a kid who got shot in the forehead."

He couldn't help but grin. It wasn't a pleasant one but one that showed just how...how ridiculous everything seemed. Here they were, two kids who were surrounded by death, but they were chatting about it like it was the day's sports scores. It was twisted in such a horrible way, but at least neither of them had done any killing yet. ...At least, he hoped Kevin wasn't a liar and had actually just blown away several students. 'I've still got my gun...I don't think he's a killer, but just in case...'

---

Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
(Skipping Vanikoro to avoid inactivity.)

Kevin seemed to share his humor at their situation and Andrew's grin only grew a little bit wider. It felt good to have someone else share your opinion, even if the opinion was "We're so fucked." Andrew pondered on Kevin's question for a bit, slowly rocking back and forth on the sand. He never actually put much thought into escape. From what he knew about the game, they were all on some remote island and for the past couple of iterations, no one had come to the students' rescue. Escape attempts usually ended badly for the escapees and he doubted Danya would be so dumb as to leave a boat lying around.

As for survival...beyond the simple mantra of "Stay alive and don't piss anyone off", he didn't really have a plan. He wasn't even sure if you could plan for a game like SotF. To survive without killing your fellow students? Probably not possible.

So he just shrugged. "Nope. Well, nothing concrete. Just trying to stay alive. Heh."

"You got a plan? Something better than getting piss drunk, I hope." Andrew sighed and climbed to his feet, brushing sand off of his pants and shrugging. "Well...plan or not, staying in one place for a long time isn't going to help. It's time for me to scoot. You can come with if you want, but it's up to you."

With that, he turned and began jogging away.

(( Andrew Mitchell continued elsewhere. ))
Edited by Tythanin, Nov 21 2010, 01:10 AM.

---

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Beach: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply