Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Man-slut, the Cocktease and the Lover
Topic Started: Sep 19 2010, 05:19 PM (4,078 Views)
Shake&Bake
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
G112 Haruka Watanabe - Debut!

“OOH! Jesushell.”

Haruka’s fingertips dug into the long handle of her oar and she jumped backwards by surprise. In the thick, cold darkness beneath the mountains, she had heard whispers and distant echoes. The obscure ones had sent shivers down her spine and made her ever more scared than she had been before, the fears of suffocation, isolation, getting lost and being crushed under falling rocks.

The louder ones had caused her knees to knock together and her hands to clamp down on the oar until her knuckles turned paper white. Frozen stiff in the darkness, too afraid to venture onwards or run back the way she had came, she stood there a pathetic statue, waiting for her worries and fear to diminish. Eventually, she’d move on, following the pale circle of light dancing over the damp, stone floor. She kept her grip on the flashlight firm, in case it slipped from her jittery hand and broke on the floor.

I don’t want to die! I don’t want to die! I don’t want to die! Haruka thought, slowly inching her thumb up the shaft of the flashlight before pressing down on the switch. She was bathed in the thick darkness, hidden amongst clouds anxiety and unease. She wrenched her eyes shut, shielding them from the darkness that was sure to only worry her further. Her petite frame trembled skittishly, glued to the spot.

A varnish of cold sweat and grime coated her clammy face, however her cheeks were partly clear due to the consistent flow of tears. It would be an unknown length of time before Haruka opened her eyes again and worked up the courage to move on. She didn’t know whether the pause was several minutes or just over an hour. She did however, recap in her head everything that had happened so far.

She remembered the trip, waiting to check out the scenery and maybe take some pictures. Even though she was shy, she was looking forwards to some nostalgia fuelled interaction with her peers. The idea that maybe, if this was one of the last times they’d all be together, she wouldn’t be too shy to join in with the fun, and maybe make some more friends. And then of course, the sleep.

She didn’t know why, but felt very sleepy, and soon went under. It was like the time she fainted, only worse. Her head hurt and everything was warped and distorted when she woke up, as if her retinas had been spritzed with a drug. A collar. A bag. An oar. All alone in the middle of these overgrown grounds and she eventually came to realise she was on Survival of the Fittest.

It wasn’t long before the big open space and the sense of exposure had caused her to retreat under ground like some cowardly bumbling insect. And then that was where she had remained, hidden from her peers, cutting herself off again like she always had done in Bayview.

Minutes and hours had melted away at unknown intervals, and eventually as was coated in dust and began to find it harder to breath, she wished for nothing more than to return to the surface. She felt trapped and confined, like she had willingly wandered into her own tomb and had gone so far in, she had forgotten the way out.

Fear and paranoia had set it. Something was sniffing her out. There were eyes watching in the dark. The whispers. The echoes. Everything following her, the tunnels waiting to swallow her in like a pitiful fly who made the foolish mistake of descending into a hungry pitcher plant. Waiting to be dissolved in the acids dripping from the walls…

Time had a strange flow in tunnels, what could be vast amounts of time wasted on something that seemed so hurried could also play as seconds passing sluggishly as you tried to navigate your way through the darkness. Eventually the rapid beating of her heart slowed down to a steady pace and the shivers died down until she was reasonably calm.

She opened her eyes, and after several minutes of squinting in the darkness, she could make out a faint, dim green glow coming from up ahead. She knew right there and then that she wanted to turn on her heel and sneak her way, but something within her drew her towards the glimmer.

Perhaps it was a mix of curiosity and the bitter loneliness she had endured for the past day.

It could have also been her desperate crave for fresh air and to see the sky one last time.

She took another gentle step forwards, gently tucking the flashlight into her bag. Her free hand then reinforced her grip on the oar, her one defence against attack. Go away! Leave it! Turn back! Please! Her mind begged her to turn back and escape from whatever lay ahead whilst she had the chance, but that feeling of curiosity and desire of freedom in her gut drew her closer and closer. As she made her way further towards the glow, she became aware of a bend in the tunnels.

She crept towards the wall, and used one hand to guide her way along the dark corridor. The oar began to shake slightly in her grip which had began trembling again. Her lip began quivering and her stomach tied itself in a knot. Go! Please! Stay away! Haruka wouldn’t listen, she had come too far to simply turn and scamper off like a frightened rabbit. She shut her eyes as her fingers met the supporting beam, and slowly poked her head around the corner.
COOK 'N' KILL
........RECIPES........
x 1 oz. Rat PoiSon
x 1/2 oz. Meta-cyanide
x 1/2 oz. Fex-M3
x 1 cup Tiberium

Shake and Stir
GOOD LUCK!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shake&Bake
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
"Uh, hey."

I’m found out! I’m done for! I’m finished! I’m dead! Haruka quickly pulled back a couple of steps, her bangs fell across her shut eyes like a veil, her bottom lip quivering. Her routine defence mechanism took over again and she was frozen to the spot, obsolete.

Maybe he can’t see me in the dark! Maybe this isn’t actually happening! Maybe this is all a dream?!? Haruka slowly opened her eyes, and quickly shut them again with a light squeal. It’s real! It’s real! It’s real!

"You're not playing are you? Because we're not playing, and...uh, if none of us are playing, that'd be really great and...uh, stuff."

Liar! Liar! Liar! He wants to…Oh God, he’s gonna kill me! I gotta turn, gotta run! Haruka slowly attempted to will herself into moving, but her legs were nothing more than jelly. Her knees knocked together uncontrollably and for a moment or two, she thought she was simply going to faint right there and then.

The boy, Duncan, held a sharpened stick in his hand. He was trying to lower it, make it look less threatening. The thought that his plea was genuine flashed in Haruka’s mind, but her gut tied itself in a knot. She sensed danger, something horrible and violent was coming her way and she could do nothing but run and hide. Her grip on the oar was so tight she felt as if her fingers were going to snap under the pressure.

“Oh, uh...this. This is because I got a really, really bad weapon. We all did. So...uh, we ended up making these. They're not all that good..."

The oar wobbled pathetically, she was pretty sure that she appeared to be nothing more than a harmless baby in the eyes of Duncan, and whoever else was round the corner. What does he want with me? Why won’t he leave me alone? Haruka steadied her grip on the oar, hoping that maybe she could swing it into his head if he came at her. She also had the idea that even with all her strength behind the swing, she’d do nothing more than bat the glasses off of his nose.

"...b-but if somebody attacked me, I'm sure I could fend them off with it. I-I'm not afraid to use it!"

Duncan McMahon was stuttering now, a sign of weakness. Haruka Watanabe knew all about that, she did it all the time. She tried to muster up courage, strength and even the slightest edge of violence, but the oar started shaking again. I can’t win this battle! I couldn’t win any battle! I can just run! I gotta go! She ground her teeth, digging her chin into her chest. Could sweat poured down the back of her neck, goosebumps running up and down her wrists.

"B-but you're not going to attack, right? Here, I'll just..."
Duncan had dropped the stick.

Now! He won’t! He can’t attack me now! I can…I can run! Haruka lifted her head, looking at Duncan in the eyes. She couldn’t decide whether or not he was sincere, but she tried her best to look apologetic under the mask of grime and dust. I don’t care about fresh air, I don’t care about alliances, I just have to get away! She took slow baby steps backwards, her legs growing more and more steady.

She clenched her eyes shut and turned on her heel, and started running. Running away, just like I always do. Haruka thought, feeling uneasy. She geared up into a sprint and leant forwards into the movement. So what if she had just blown her first chance at getting out of the mines? At least she wasn’t being impaled on a stake like some sort of vampire. She opened her eyes, scanning for dips and rocks that might cause her to fall over, but saw the dim silhouette of a girl instead.

Haruka let out an ear piercing scream as her legs gave way beneath her. The soles of her shoes skidded on the damp stone floor and her legs were taken from beneath her. She didn’t spread out her arms, trying to pinwheel them for balance. She simply kept the oar clutched tightly to her chest and screwed her eyes shut. Her scream died into a faint squeak as she fell to the floor, sprawled onto her back. Haruka rolled onto her side, curling up into the fetal position, tears starting to stream down her grimy cheeks. “I d-don’t wanna d-d-die!” she whispered.
COOK 'N' KILL
........RECIPES........
x 1 oz. Rat PoiSon
x 1/2 oz. Meta-cyanide
x 1/2 oz. Fex-M3
x 1 cup Tiberium

Shake and Stir
GOOD LUCK!

Shake&Bake
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
(I wasn't sure who's turn it was to post, but I thought it was mine and Dom said I should post anyway...So sorry if I ruin the order OH and sorry about the longish paragraphs, I couldn't trim them down :/)

Laying curled on her side, Haruka trembled with fear. Her knees were drawn inwards and she hugged her torso tightly, by some small wonder the oar was still in her grasp, so whoever she ran into hadn’t managed to beat her to death with it yet. She slowly put one hand out, flattening her palm against the damp cave floor. Haruka had wanted so see scenery, and if she was to die underground, she may as well try to appreciate something.

The sheer size of the network of tunnels under the mountain, as if she had crawled into a wheel of Swiss cheese. The mystery of where one tunnel may lead, and where others wouldn’t. The incredibility that men had built this, and yet it seemed like burrows of some giant, beastly mole. The incredible strength of echoes carried through the dark. The strange formations of stalagmites and stalactites. The mysterious glimmer of gemstones and transparent rocks, lodged in the wall.

Haruka Watanabe may have been nearing the end of her short life, but as her mind escaped from the confines of that particular tunnel, she seemed to be at ease, if not for only a moment.

"The fuck was that for?"

Whatever haven of calm and safety Haruka’s mind, she was suddenly torn away from. The cold, bitter taste of reality oozed over her tongue in the form of the saliva and grime from the caves. She froze again, too scared to even spit the awful mixture out of her mouth. Haruka drew her hand back to her chest with a snap, skinning her knuckle on the stone floor. She winced, shutting her eyes and starting to tremble again.

"Uh, h-hey, it's okay."

"What the fuck did I do to you, you stupid cunt?!"

“Hey Duncan, what- uh, what’s going on here?”

"Hey, are you even fucking listening to me?"

“Nice oar.”

"I'm fucking talking to you, listen to me!"

"Look, will you just shut u-"

A cacophony of voices. Angry screeching. Shaky sympathy. A curious drawl. More angry screeching. More angry screeching. Oh please let it stop! Just…Swallow me into the ground now! Please! I don’t want to be here anymore! She peered over her shoulder, wide eyed looking at those crowding around her. Her breathing was hoarse and haggard, her legs were twitching, trying to gear up into a run but she was frozen on the floor.

Duncan…He seemed to be trying to control things, snapping back at her aggressor. He had seemed so threatening earlier, but maybe she was just a bag of nerves. He had a sharp stick, and whilst not particularly lethal, he could have skewered her with it at any time, but he hadn’t. And I ran…I’m so ungrateful! Even though he still seemed to be a threat, he was the one she was least afraid of.

Approaching from behind him was a boy and a girl. Feo and…Who is that? Feo had been given a drastic SOTF makeover. Her long, flowing hair had been cut short and there was a bloody bandage around the stump of her hand. But where are the fingers? She was possibly less of a threat than Duncan, but she seemed cold and hardened. She didn’t want to think that Feo Eleri Smith was capable of murder, but she must have been through something violent to wind up looking the way she did now.

The boy however…He looks so…so…sinister. She soon placed the name to the face and realised he was Ethan, his surname however, was a mystery to her as she wasn’t in any of his classes. She knew it was stupid not to know the people she had been attending Bayview with for the past four years, but in all honesty she had never gotten involved. The only surnames she knew where of those in her classes, the popular kids and of course, the juvenile delinquents. Everyone else, and she felt bad thinking of it that way, were simply moving scenery. But Ethan, something about him made her feel like she just had to turn on her heels and run.

And now, her aggressor. The one spouting the angry screeches and curse words. The one she had ran into by accident. The one who could have been sneaking up on her. A…A Fiametta? F-Frances Fiametta? She didn’t know much except that the girl was substance abuser and right now, seemed more than threatening. An antagonist? She wasn’t sure, but Frances Fiametta really didn’t seemed particularly bothered with how she portrayed herself. She was unarmed, but Haruka really didn’t fancy her chances in a fight with her, with any of them.

And then there was a horrible smell. It took Haruka back to before SOTF, when she volunteered at animal pounds and the vet surgery. She remembered with distinct horror of how an error had been made, when stitching up a Siberian husky. The surgeon had ran out of the double strength thread made for large animals, so he doubled up on the thread used for smaller animals.

The husky was returned to its kennel for when the owner returned, but on the way there its stitches opened and…Haruka felt sick just thinking about it, but she had never been near such a large amount of blood. When people have nosebleeds or cut their knees, you don’t really smell anything. If you’re really squeamish, then the mere sight of it rattles you, but a lot of blood had came out of the dogs belly.

The weird yet sickening smell, like a mixture of copper and death, had met her nose and she lost her lunch right there and then. The dog went into shock and died and the surgery got sued, nobody in the neighbourhood wanted to send their injured animal to the place where “That dog split open like a hotdog bun” and eventually, the vet closed down and was turned into a Wendy’s.

She opened her eyes again, looking into the dark face of what she could only describe as a moving corpse. In the darkness, the shadows were cast dramatically over the girls face, with slivers of the pale green glow. That and the mud and the blood made her look like she was wearing some pagan death mask. Stringy hair, pallid skin. The mud caked into her dark clothes, the stench of coppery death being radiated from her like it was the torn underside of the husky. A blistered hand brushed by Haruka’s face, sending a shiver down her spine. It brushed the hair out of her eyes, in an almost motherly way. The whole thing was too much, Haruka’s breathing went up, her heart felt like it was going to explode.

"Hush, kid. Hey. Everything's gonna be alright."

Lies. She wants to kill me! I can see the knife! It’s sticking out right there! Wants to lure me away…Wants to kill me! Haruka may have been a timid, nervous wreck, but she certainly wasn’t an idiot. The blood, the mud, the blisters, the knife…This girl, whoever she was under the death mask, was trouble. Sure if the girl wanted to kill Haruka, she could have done it already, but then she’d have to deal with the other four. Even with a knife, that was an uphill battle.

"I've got a couple ideas for escape plans, but shhhhh, don't say it loud. I don't know how sensitive the cameras are here. We're gonna get out."

The eyes of the girl seemed to be boring into Haruka’s like drills. Maybe she was attempting to be Mama Bear, but all Haruka saw was a grotesque beast that wanted to slash her to bits. Her hands slowly guided her backwards across the floor. She had always been the one avoiding attention in Bayview, and now the spotlight was shining on her. Five people, all of whom had the capability of killing her, were awaiting her next move.

She didn’t care about the oar, it fell to the floor with a loud clatter. She shot upwards, falling into the wall of the tunnel then turned on her heel, running towards Duncan. Right now, he seemed like the only person she could trust, if only slightly.

She skidded across the floor and scrambled behind him, crouching down. She put her hands against his back, using him like some sort of shield to hide behind. She was too terrified to tilt her head and look at the girl again, or the Fiametta.

Too afraid to turn around and look at Feo and Ethan.

Everything was coming together now, all the violence and terror she had missed out on in the heart of the tunnels was rushing to meet her.
COOK 'N' KILL
........RECIPES........
x 1 oz. Rat PoiSon
x 1/2 oz. Meta-cyanide
x 1/2 oz. Fex-M3
x 1 cup Tiberium

Shake and Stir
GOOD LUCK!

Shake&Bake
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Haruka couldn’t listen to the others, she could see mouths opening and clothing but the words didn’t matter. The slight chance that she was just overreacting crossed her mind, but seeing everybody bloodied, blistered and burnt like some stray cat who had a firework tied to its tail only pushed her further away into her own panicked state.

She had spent all her time so far hidden, away from the action, in the coldness and despair of loneliness, trapped beneath the ground. She had been terrified of each shifting shadow and each distant echo, breathing in coal dust and getting coated with grime, and yet, she hadn’t been hurt yet.

Even though she didn’t like how she was approaching the game, she must had done something right, as unlike most of the others in the group, she didn’t look like she had came out of a dogs mouth. Maybe a constant state of panic mixed with solidarity was what it took to survive, the others obviously hadn’t chosen the same path as her, but they were strong, sturdy.

Haruka was meek, shy and frail, she couldn’t say boo to a goose, so she wouldn’t stand a chance against what obstacles may come her way should she join the others. Another possibility was that perhaps staying underground was the best approach, that the surface with the crisp air and fresh water was polluted with killers and psychopaths, waiting to tear her to pits like a runt having wandered into bad territory.

She slowly pulled her hands away from Duncan, taking tentative baby steps backwards until she was pressed against the wall. Frances or Frankie Fiametta was babbling again, Feo had taken the oar and the death girl, as she dubbed her, was writing something on the wall. She didn’t know what was wrong with these people, other than what they had done had gotten them into a world of trouble that they were more than lucky to escape from, no matter how many burns they sustained or fingers they lost.

Haruka Watanabe wasn’t cut out for this. She wasn’t a soldier, she wasn’t a fighter and she most certainly wasn’t a strong character. Looking around at all the people who could snuff her life out like a birthday candle made her stomach sink lower and lower until she began feeling sick. The blood, the cuts, the burns, none of that scared her, only how they had been attained. Where there was smoke, there was fire, and she was sure that whatever maniacs had caused this were not too far off.

It was the people here that they wanted, Haruka probably hadn’t even registered on their mental to-kill list, they’d gathered she’d probably snap under the pressure and kill herself, she probably would have if she was given something better than an oar. She wasn’t being hunted yet, but if she was found with these people, then the maniacs would take no shame in adding her to the list as a lucky bonus.

She raised her hand to her heart, looking down at the floor. Right now, she could slip away unnoticed, avoiding the bloody scenario unfolding in her imagination. It could have been true, but if it hadn’t, then what did she have to lose? She didn’t want to waste away in the darkness like a weak insect or a crippled mole. If anything, she wanted to see the sky again, if not one last time.

I don’t want to die…I know that’s all I’ve been thinking but it’s true! I hardly know these people, let alone trust them! What’s to say they won’t turn on each other? I’m hardly a threat to them, they could wipe me out with one hand tied behind their backs…There’s nothing stopping me from leaving now…unnoticed. Everything is going to work out, I can almost see it! I just need to find somewhere safe, alone, and then maybe…Just maybe…I’ll have a chance.

The death girl, whoever she was, had written something on the wall. Haruka didn't care, it didn't matter that she was now unarmed and that her flashlight was almost out of power, she could get away now, whilst the others went towards the message to read it. In the safety of the darkness, she could slip away from under their radars, by the time they noticed she was gone, it would be too late. All that was left now was to find out where she'd end up once she left the tunnels, but that was to be worried about later. Haruka slowly edged along the wall, further and further away from the faint green glow.

((Haruka Watanabe continued in Fountain of Youth, PS thanks for letting me join join in guys <3))
Edited by Shake&Bake, Oct 11 2010, 11:24 AM.
COOK 'N' KILL
........RECIPES........
x 1 oz. Rat PoiSon
x 1/2 oz. Meta-cyanide
x 1/2 oz. Fex-M3
x 1 cup Tiberium

Shake and Stir
GOOD LUCK!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply