Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Watch Your Step; Open, Morning of Day 2
Topic Started: Sep 16 2010, 05:57 PM (4,886 Views)
Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Let's go where eagles dare
[ *  *  * ]
(Rena Peters continued from Accidental Acrophobia)

Rena was by no means an excellent, or even a mediocre tracker, but following Raine and the other kid...Jason? hadn't been too hard. As the sunlight faded, however, Rena couldn't help but wonder where exactly they were going. She hadn't taken out a map, because she and Ridley were already far enough behind the other two as it was. She watched the land around them change, and a creeping sensation etched it's way into her mind that maybe, just maybe this hadn't been the best idea she'd ever had.

She was considering turning back to Ridley and telling him that she was uncertain. She almost did it too, before she remembered her promise. He'd helped her, now she was going to help him. Even if it meant following complete strangers across an island.

Her mind wandered away from the path her feet were on, as she dimly wondered what would happen when they actually found Raine. What if Raine didn't want Rena around? What if Ridley had tired of Rena? What if they didn't get along? Rena couldn't stomach the thought that the person she'd tried so hard to find would alienate her and leave her completely alone in this game. What would happen if she was alone?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sickening crackle. What the-?

"Ladies and gentlemen of Bayview secondary school. You are making me a very happy man indeed. Not content with your fantastic showing across day one, you decided to not only match but exceed yourselves! The second day of our little competition saw twenty-one students bite the dust, buy the farm and shuffle off their mortal coils! Kids... my hat is off to you."

The first thought that hit her was that she had lived to see another day. Her heart leaped up, and she could practically feel the smile spread across her lips. She'd see another morning.

Then the smile came crashing down when the rest of the speech hit her. 21. 21 dead. 21 students who wouldn't see another morning. Her stomach flipped, her heart skipped, and her mind stopped. 19 the first day, 21 the second...40 students gone in two days. How was it possible? How could life just end like that? How could people be here one day and gone the next? It didn't make sense. How? How?

The first few names flew by, people who Rena only sort-of knew the names of, and people who had never even existed inside her world. Until now...

One name hit her. "Kill number five was none other than Eva Lancaster, with R.J Lowe showing her that it's the quiet ones that you have to watch out for... and their guns." Eva Lancaster? Why did that sound familiar? Eva Lancaster... Wait. Hadn't Ridley mentioned an Eva? Was it this one? She was going to turn to look at him, to ask him, but the names didn't stop.

Eve Walker-Luther? Her heart dropped into her stomach. The girl with the baby. A baby was going to be motherless because some monster thought it would be funny to play this game. Was this really the world she lived in? Was this the world she was going to die in?

The killer sounded familiar too. Sarah Atwell. The girl who did the end of the year video. She was a killer now? Rena hadn't known her too well, as they'd only talked for a few minutes, but...wasn't she in one of Rena's classes? Why couldn't she remember? It had only been a few days since these victims and killers had sat in classes with her, ate lunch next to her, said "hi" in the hallways to her...but it felt like years ago. Her life had become this game, and only this game. Survival of the Fittest was all that was left. Her stomach somersaulted.

Danger Zones. The Infirmary, the Mansion, the Key. Where were they? Rena fished out her map, suddenly wishing that she had paid better attention to where they were going. "Ridley, I don't know where we are, I think-"

"So, does anyone here have an idea of what to do?" Who was that? It wasn't anyone who'd been in the Woods with them. Had she followed strangers?

"Jason! Ridley! Ridley!" Now that was a recognizable voice. Raine. Ridley's Raine. They'd found her.

But who was she with? Were they friendly? Was someone going to scream psycho and run like last time? Life or death. Take no chances.

Rena turned to face Ridley, hoping to catch him before he did something stupid.

"Wait. Don't go yet. We don't know who she's with. We have to think, okay?"

Rena had made a promise. She was going to keep it. Even if it killed her.

But that didn't mean she wanted it to kill her.
It's hard to get ahead when half your friends are dead!

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Rena turned to face Ridley, understanding that his sudden cries meant that yes, the Eva on the announcement had been his friend. Guilt crept through her system; no one she cared deeply for was dead yet. She hadn't lost anyone. He had. How was she supposed to deal with this? She wasn't good at the whole comforting thing; usually others were comforting her. Find Raine. She'll know what to do. Find her! Rena's eyes shot up and scanned the rapidly dispersing group of people in front of her. She was mostly tuning them out, but she caught onto little pieces of the conversations they were having. The voice of Thea Kairos rang through the air. Apparently being trapped on a deserted island didn't stop her from being the most important person in the world. But as quickly as the voice came it was gone, and so was Thea, along with a group of other people she didn't recognize. Rena was clinging onto the hope that Raine hadn't gone with them.

A girl walked towards them, seemingly unfazed by all that had been going on. Or at least Rena thought that until she saw the tears streaming from the girls eyes. She bent down next to Ridley, who seemed to have a music player in his ears, and stroked his hair. "I'm here."

Raine. It had to be. This had to be her. She was here. She was here! Rena nearly started dancing right then and there. They'd found her. It had taken an entire day, but they'd found her, and she was alive, and somehow everything was going to be okay. This girl, whoever she was, was the only thing that had kept Rena going this past day, and now she was here. This game wasn't cruel enough to snatch her away from Ridley. The very idea elated Rena.

But that didn't stop the fact that she was fighting for her life. Or that this crowd was falling apart. She was sure that they needed to go, but could she just drag them out of this emotional moment? What would Clara say?

Clara said nothing. Jake's voice broke through Rena's thoughts instead. No one would care that much about you... Why was it that her brother was always around when she never needed him? She groaned outwardly. They had to move.

"So then...you must be Raine." Rena smiled weakly, her face flushing. This was so awkward. "I'm Rena. I'm sorry about...Eva, Ridley, but..." She took a deep breath. "We should get moving. Find a place to rest and reorganize...and get to know each other. We can have a memorial for your friend there, if you want."

Maybe that sounded stupid, but she felt like the girl, who's family would never get to bury her or see her one more time, deserved some sort of respect.

"I just think we need to go. I'm sorry. Really."

She'd found Raine for him, but somehow it wasn't enough. She couldn't save his friend. She couldn't even comfort him when he needed it. So much for being the person he deserved. She sighed. A girl was dead and she couldn't even find tears for her. How horrible. This game had made her cold to others death's. All that mattered was her life, and the life of her friends.

God Damn this game.
Edited by Casey the Undead, Oct 20 2010, 07:59 PM.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As Rena stood, helplessly watching Raine and Ridley sit in their sorrow, a thought popped into her head. Where exactly would they go from here? It was luck that even lead them to Raine in the first place, when Ridley was leading, and they'd followed Raine here. But neither of them seemed to be up to trailblazing right now, which left Rena at the head.

Panic struck her. She'd never been a leader before! She was a terrible leader! They'd just get lost and be forced to wander aimlessly. And who knows who they'd stumble upon next. She'd run blindly into four different groups of people, and only one had turned out perfectly. The rest either disbanded or turned hostile quickly. How long would she survive emptily running around an island until someone just decided to make her a quick kill?

"Rena...Thank you...I owe you for this. I'm in your debt."

A voice pulled Rena away from her thoughts and back towards the people she was with. Raine was looking up at her, and Rena was struck with the scene she was watching. Here was a boy she barely knew, and yet somehow still trusted with her life, sitting on the ground, weak, defenseless, and crying, his only comfort coming from his girlfriend, who he'd just spent an entire day looking for. And what was Rena thinking about? Herself. About how long she would live. She shoved the thoughts away. This wasn't about her. Not now.

Raine was thanking her? I don't deserve to be thanked. What had Rena done? She'd gotten shot because of her own stupidity and then imposed upon a stranger's hospitality. Finding Raine was the least she could do, and yet Raine was the one who felt that she owed a debt?

"No." Rena looked Raine in the eye. "Don't thank me. It's...it's the least I could've done. I owe Ridley more than this, probably." She paused before turning to face Ridley, even though she was unsure if he was even listening. "As soon as you're ready, we'll go, okay? I don't know about you guys, but I haven't actually slept since waking up here. I think I might be seeing things." She laughed weakly. This might not have been an appropriate time for humor, but she was in desperate need of laughter, so maybe Ridley and Raine could use a bit too. "I know that this isn't easy but..."

Everything's going to be okay? How? Rena bit her lip, hesitating on her next words.

"But we found Raine. We did it! And if we could find her, then maybe...maybe there's still hope."

Rena extended her hand towards Ridley, ready to help him when he needed it.

"I know there's still hope. You've just gotta believe me, okay? It's small, and it's hiding, and it's fading, but it's still here, somewhere. We can't let go of it yet. Because once we let go...the game wins. And you can't let that happen, understand? You can't. Because we...Raine and I need you. We can't do this by ourselves. You're her boyfriend and...you're my friend, Ridley. You can't give up. Not now."

The pessimistic side of Rena, which always seemed to speak in her brother's voice, chimed in. But you'll give up eventually, won't you? She shook her head. She wasn't going to give up. She wasn't going to let Ridley or Raine down.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"Oh, man, what the hell's up with the corny lines, you two? Ha ha!"

Well, she made him laugh. It wasn't exactly what she'd been intending, but it did the trick all the same. Rena smiled, relieved that things were starting to get a little less depressing.

"But there are people out there who want us dead, and I'll tell you two right now; it's gonna be a bitch and a half to survive this. I know that you two are hopped up on 'hope' right now, but the fact is that... someone I knew died. Are you ready to go?"

He was right, and Rena knew that, even if she didn't really want to believe him. She chewed slightly on her thumbnail, weighing the options in her mind. Finally, she fished her map out again, opening it wide and showing it Raine and Ridley.

"So we need to avoid dangerzones which were..." In all the madness of the past few minutes, she'd entirely forgotten where they weren't supposed to go. "Uh...somewhere. And we're..." A quick glance around and she spotted the building, finally figuring out where Raine had led them. "At the Hall of Mirrors, which is here." She pointed to the map. "So...we probably want to find somewhere a bit more peaceful, where we can avoid trouble, but there's no way to tell where everyone is, so I guess we're guessing, huh?"

Rena looked up from the map, as if staring at the area around her would somehow give her the answer she was looking for. Alas, it didn't.

"So basically we're running around a giant island with no idea of where the scary areas that blow our heads off are. Awesome. I can do this." Rena muttered under her breath.

No you can't... She gritted her teeth. Yes I freaking can!

She paused, taking a breath. But not alone, and not like this.

"I don't know what we're gonna do." It sounded bleak, but Rena knew that it was the truth. She looked at Raine and Ridley.

She swallowed slightly, fear creeping into her system.

"So...uh, any ideas?"

Edited by Casey the Undead, Nov 5 2010, 07:14 PM.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"Okay, new plan. Let's go for the tunnels. We might be able to hunker down in there for awhile if we're lucky. Until it becomes a danger zone, anyway."

Well it was certainly better than the giant hunk of nothing Rena had come up with. She nodded in agreement. "The tunnels sound good." She took out some water and took a rather large gulp.

Rena heard Raine whisper something under her breath, or at least she thought she did. Rena couldn't quite make out the words, but it didn't seem to matter as Raine began to speak out loud.

"We have you, myself and Rena. We've all rescued each other so far so maybe it is possible we can help others. We can save them from those that have already lost their minds to the game. They have weak minds for succumbing to this madness but...maybe I have a weak mind for not facing reality."

Rena blinked. There wasn't exactly a way to respond to that, was there? What was she suggesting? It seemed like she was saying they could help each other...but the whole "facing reality" thing was throwing Rena for a loop. Rena very much liked pretending that it was certain that she would get home, because deep down she knew that her chances of living through this game were slim to none. In order to win she would have to kill someone, and that just wasn't something she was ready or willing to do. What was Raine getting at? Was she admitting that she would have to succumb to the madness in order to survive? Or that they would all end up like Eva regardless of what happened? Or that people would just keep killing people, and that there was nothing they could do to keep this game from taking away all of their friends?

Rena shook her head. She wasn't going to "succumb to the madness" or "face reality". She was going to go to the tunnels, and get some sleep, and maybe have something to eat. She was going to talk to her new friends, and bury a stranger. She was going to see tomorrow. She wasn't going to kill anyone and she wasn't going to die. Ever. Simple as that.

"We won't let Eva happen again."

She can't make that promise, and she knows that. I guess that just makes her a dirty little lair, huh? The ever pessimistic side of Rena was still cackling, and still sounding too much like her older brother for comfort.

"All right then. Let's get out of here."

Rena began to head out after Ridley and Raine, Raine's words still echoing in her head. "We won't let Eva happen again."

She really hoped that Raine could keep that promise.

((Rena Peters continued in It Knows nothing of Whim))
Edited by Casey the Undead, Jan 8 2011, 08:28 PM.

V4 Characters:

V5 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply