Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Watch Your Step; Open, Morning of Day 2
Topic Started: Sep 16 2010, 05:57 PM (4,875 Views)
KingKamor
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
(Ridley Landon, continued from Accidental Acrophobia)

The night had brought more frustration to Ridley than any other time of day in the past 48 hours. Low tree branches scraped against his arms, bushes caught his shoes and made him nearly trip several times, and the complete lack of light had left him blinds for the most part. Even being online at all hours of the night for the past two or three years had not prepared him in the least for an island without any artificial lights at all. While the stars and moonlight covered everything with a silvery hue, nothing had any particular shape or definition to it, leading to his troubles.

As the sun began to rise above the horizon that he couldn't see, his only wish was that Rena had lead him in the right direction. Then again, he couldn't imagine that the guy who took Raine away would have been able to navigate through the night any better than they could.

CRSSHHHKKK-- "Do you kids know what makes Uncle Danya happy?"

Ridley's face went from merely annoyed straight on to pissed the fuck off. "Great, now we have to listen to this joker again."

Dawne Jiang

Rose Codreanu

Tobias Elwin

Raina Morales

So far so good. Wait, good? How is any of this good in any way at all? How fucked up can I--

"Kill number five was none other than Eva Lancaster, with R.J Lowe showing her that it's the quiet ones that you have to watch out for... and their guns.

He froze. The name echoed between his ears even as Danya continued to list off the names of the dead. "What...?" His voice was hardly audible, barely even a whisper of it escaped his lips. Eyes widening and staring ahead at nothing, he continued, "No, no fucking way, she's stronger than that. I would know. I had loved that girl. I wouldn't go out with someone who would just up and die, so why...?"

He began to feel a dampness on his cheeks, and his eyesight began to blur. His teeth clenched, and his brow furrowed as he crashed to his knees. "Ah... Eva... Eva! Fuck!!" Each breath he drew in was ragged, and each exhalation was nothing but a sob. "FUCK!"

"Wait. Don't go yet. We don't know who she's with. We have to think, okay?"

It was Rena, but he couldn't see her with his hands covering his face as if in shame. Then, his eyes opened up wide, and his hands began to search through his pockets for something. "Where is it?" He uttered under his breath. "Get out of the way!" He yelled as he took his gun out of his pocket and threw it to the side so that he could look through that pocket as well. "Damn, it did they take it? I haven't checked everywhere, though, so-- There!"

He held in his hand a tiny mp3 player, no larger than a USB stick. Immediately, he stuck the ear buds into his ears and turned it on, selecting a song from a short list of favorites. As the song filled his ears a nearly maximum volume, he sat on his knees with his eyes closed and his hands over his ears, a long, shallow sigh filtered out of his lungs. To him, it was a familiar song from a game that he had played. There was no meaning to him in listening to it, but it was loud enough to block out everything. Escaping from the world was a thing he often did in school to distract himself from his lowering grades and troubles with bullies. The only solace he had on hand was the tiny little music player. Nothing else mattered-- he only had to get away.

Nothing else matters...

Nevertheless, the tears would not stop.
G###: Lark "Birdie" Finley
(Pending Approval)

B###: _____ ______
(Profile In Progress)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KingKamor
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
The violin solo cut between Ridley's ears as if the sound itself cut his thoughts in two. With a shout and a touch from the outside world, he became dangerously close to acknowledging his situation. When he chose the song, he chose it based on how "thick" the sound was, rather than the meaning, but the words from outside made him turn his thoughts towards the meaning of the song's lyrics. They may have been in a made-up language, but the internet had kindly provided him translations in the past.

Was au ga whai pauwel ferda enter whou na nedle sor,
Why does power dwell in those who are unselfish?

What about those who are selfish? They clearly have enough power to kill people.

en whai pauwel gaunji yasra whou na cenjue sor tou zuieg.
Why does power torment kind people who wish not for dispute?

That's what I want to know!

Ridley remembered that in the video game's story, the hymn was sung by a character in order to seal away the villain.

en nedle eterne falfa,/ slepir tes pauwel en hyzik
If you seek eternal peace/ Then let your power and flesh fall asleep together

The singer was telling the evil to be sealed away. Ridley did not believe signs that much, but his thoughts began to wander. What if this is a sign that I need to go after these people-- the ones who are killing everyone? It went against his very morals to kill people, but leaving such atrocities to be committed by teenagers such as himself did was even worse than that. As the song ended, it was followed by a soft tone that did not go with the song at all.

The battery was dead.

Ridley's moist eyes snapped open to find his face up against a girl's chest. Though embarrassed, a look up at the girl's face told him that he did not have be be. After what felt like an eternity of being sealed off from everyone outside, he wrapped his arms around Raine's waist. He took in a breath and let it out in a hard huff. "I'm glad you're okay... Thanks, Raine." Despite his words, he could not fake smile to save his life. His gun sat propped up against a tree, no doubt jostled from when he tossed it aside before. A twinge of fear manifested in his gut when he could not decide between going to retrieve the gun or to stay in Raine's embrace.
(Pending Approval)

(Profile In Progress)

KingKamor
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Taking the kiss to his forehead as a cue, Ridley tapped Raine's arms, motioning to her that he was better than before. Once out of her embrace, he looked at the mp3 player in his hand. It tended to have a habit of coming back to life after a time of inactivity, so he stuffed it in his pocket.

"I know there's still hope. You've just gotta believe me, okay? It's small, and it's hiding, and it's fading, but it's still here, somewhere. We can't let go of it yet. Because once we let go...the game wins. And you can't let that happen, understand? You can't. Because we...Raine and I need you. We can't do this by ourselves. You're her boyfriend and...you're my friend, Ridley. You can't give up. Not now."

He raised an eyebrow at her and burst out laughing. "Oh, man, what the hell's up with the corny lines, you two? Ha ha!" He wiped what was left of the tears from earlier and walked over to the spot where he threw his gun. Picking it up and sliding it back into his pocket, he added, "All of what you two said goes without saying, but come on, we're not trying to write a dime novel here."

Walking up to Raine, he hugged her tightly around the shoulders and said, "But I guess we need corny lines from time to time. I'm glad we found you, Raine." He drew in a deep breath through his nose, as if to cement her scent into his mind, and let go. "But there are people out there who want us dead, and I'll tell you two right now; it's gonna be a bitch and a half to survive this. I know that you two are hopped up on 'hope' right now, but the fact is that... someone I knew died." He paused for a moment and grabbed his bag. "Are you ready to go?"
(Pending Approval)

(Profile In Progress)

KingKamor
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
"I don't know what we're gonna do." She looked at Raine and Ridley. "So...uh, any ideas?"

Ridley let out a sigh as he looked at the map and grasped Raine's hand. He wasn't about to lose her again. "We just need to keep moving. We just have to stay out of the danger zones, right? Then we should just pick a direction and stick with it."

Looking over the map, he decided that they needed to have a more concrete direction, and his stupid advice wasn't helping. "Okay, new plan. Let's go for the tunnels. We might be able to hunker down in there for awhile if we're lucky. Until it becomes a danger zone, anyway." The thought of what would happen to them if they entered a danger zone gave him a rather graphic image of his head detaching from his shoulders. Adjusting his collar, he said, "Hoo. Okay, let's get going."

He looked back at the spot where he had crashed to the ground in despair, and felt his eyes begin to well up slightly. Shaking his head to get it out of his mind, he couldn't help but think about how Eva died, and where she was when it happened. R.J. Lowe... he thought to himself. I'll have to remember that. He felt at the gun at his side and put on a neutral face as he began to walk northeast.

(Ridley Landon, continued in It Knows Nothing of Whim)
(Pending Approval)

(Profile In Progress)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply