Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Watch Your Step; Open, Morning of Day 2
Topic Started: Sep 16 2010, 05:57 PM (4,733 Views)
BetaKnight
Member Avatar
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Roman Jackson continued from Orientation))

Roman wasn’t exactly sure how he had wound up standing in front of the Hall of Mirrors. He held the map up closer to his face, trying to hide from Acacia. This was not how this was supposed to go. He felt completely flummoxed. Normally he had an excellent sense of direction. He was the family navigator for all family trips since he had turned 11.

However, this was definitely *not* the residential area or the town center. Somehow, they had got turned around and headed almost due south of their intended target.

It must have happened last night. Or maybe at oh-dark thirty, when the light was still bad. How on earth did I not notice that we were going the wrong way? At least we’re still alive and moving. And that during that announcement, that man didn’t mention Alex’s name.

Roman shivered as contemplated the two story structure that loomed before him. The morning light illuminated only the first turn of the hall. After that, the glass dispersed the light, essentially turning any reflective surface into a mirror that reflected infinity. Trying to stare too far ahead give him a sense of vertigo.

He chewed on his bottom lip, trying to reach a decision. Staying out here left them exposed to anyone who wandered past. Going inside gave them shelter, but they couldn’t really see if anyone was already inside, waiting for them. Indecision ate at him. To stay or to go. What to do, what to do….

Turning back to Acacia, Roman had to confess his mistake. “So, umm, yeah,” he began as he folded up his map to highlight the area they were currently occupying. “Obviously, this is not where we meant to wind up. I meant for us to go to the residential area, but I must have gotten us completely turned around because here we are.” He stabbed the Hall of Mirrors on the map with his finger. “I mean, right? This is where we’re at? Because it logically couldn’t be anything else. Unless a lot of the buildings on this place looks like fun houses.”

He realized he was rambling now. Taking a deep breath, he regrouped himself. “However we got to be here, this is where we’re at. I think. So I guess my question to you is, do you want to go inside and try to find a safe place to rest for awhile or do we want to try and hit a different spot?”
Version 5
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was trite. It was practically cliché. It was a scene out of every B horror movie ever made. Two unassuming teenagers standing in front of a rundown building in a decaying fun fair, pausing to debate the safety the hall of mirrors offered from the monsters they were running from.

Roman nearly giggled as the thought ricocheted around in his head. Whenever he was overly tired, strange ideas randomly appeared in his mind. And of course, the more inappropriate, the funnier they were. ‘We’re really being held captive so that can someone can indulge their childhood dream of making a terrible, terrible horror movie. This thing will be MST3K quality. But Acacia and I, we're gonna be okay because we’re not making out. We should be fine as long as nobody says…”

His eyes widened as Acacia uttered the fateful statement.

"Shall we look around, see if anyone's here?"

As if on cue, there was a scream from inside the building. It was guttural. Primal. Tortured. Roman wasn’t even sure it was entirely human. Something heavy clattered around inside as the howl echoed and died away.

“Why on earth did you say that?” he hissed at Acacia as he dropped the map and desperately clawed through his bag, looking for his assigned weapon. “You just tempted fate and there’s something in there and if we go inside, it’s going to claw us to death and wear our skin for hats!”

His fingers settled around the bottom of the sun baton and he gripped it with an intensity that left his knuckles white. He could just *see* the hideous, snarling mutant beast come bursting out at them, salvia flying everywhere as it charged. Roman whimpered as he pictured it tearing the two of them limb from limb.
Version 5

BetaKnight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Things were happening way too fast for Roman’s liking. New people were popping out of the woodwork, and none of the latest additions looked terribly friendly. And some of them didn’t appear to be terribly bright. ‘How do you miss the building?’ he wondered as he studied Simon in completely bafflement. ‘I mean, it’s a big ass building AND it’s right in front of you. It didn’t jump out in front of you or anything.’

Completely ignoring the arrival of the cheerleaders and Ricky Fortino, Roman left Simon in Acacia’s capable hands when a familiar voice call out to him. His spirits soared as Jason Clarke appeared. ‘If Jason is here, maybe…’

Craning his neck to try and peer in the direction Jason had arrived from, Roman desperately hoped to see Alex following in her prom date’s wake. When it became obvious that Alex was not there, Roman fought down the irrational urge to leap at Jason and punch him in the face.

‘It’s not Jason’s fault that Alex isn’t with him. You can’t attack him now. If you couldn’t take him at prom, it’s probably not a good idea to try now. You have no idea what kind of weapon he got, and the last thing you need is for him to steal yours from you,
’ his brain ruthlessly pointed out to him.

Just as he had managed to calm himself, three more people showed up, bringing their conflict with them. That was not good. So not good.

“There are entirely too many people here,” Roman muttered, hoping Acacia was paying attention to him. “Large groups of people attract attention. And attention here equals death. We’ve got to get out of here.”

Slowly backing up and hoping everyone else was too busy watching the drama, Roman began what he hoped was a strategic retreat. He jerkily twitched his head at Acacia, motioning for her to follow him. He needed to leave this drama behind and find his sister.

((Roman Jackson continued elsewhere))
Version 5

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply