Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Youth and Beauty Brigade
Topic Started: Sep 14 2010, 06:22 PM (4,589 Views)
Brackie
Member Avatar
personification of adhd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It turned out that Jacob was right in his suspicions. They weren't really suspicions more than pieces of knowledge that required some correct application, but it was...a feeling that he couldn't really describe to get some confirmation that the people he was now sharing residence with weren't hardened killers, nor conspirators who rightfully set out to decieve Jacob. It was just an accident. It couldn't have been as clear cut as that in reality, obviously, since he knew that people weren't as simple as books made them out to be. Tony had motivation. Colin had motivation. Tim also shared the same motivation as Colin, and...this was the same motivation that saved him from killing himself all that time ago. How long was it ago, really?

But Tim was right. There was no point focusing on the 'if's'. It was all about the here and now, and the situation, here and now, was that Jacob was being silent in a time which desperately required a voice.

"..."

Jacob really tried to come up with something on his first try, but all that came up was a cough, a wheeze. Second time was the charm though.

"...if that's what happened, Colin...then I can't see any reason why it's your fault. If...you couldn't have known what was going to happen, then I don't see how you can blame yours-"

...damn, Colin was good.

Paige was dead. Acceptance was the first stage to recovery. And it was the last stage of grief, he'd rocketed through those the moment the bang registered in his eardrums. If he could get past the grief, and just remain a mourner until God sorted them all out, as the saying went, then...he could survive here, really.

It would be an existance, a survival. But a life? He'd have to work on that from the bottom up.

Managing a weak smile at Colin, he stood up, the familiar twang still twanging away.

"...you guys are all I have now. My friend's out there somewhere, and if I know him, I know he's not dead. I haven't died, so he knows the same for me. If we can find him, find our group of friends..." Jacob started, before trying his best to forget that Reiko was still technically his friend, killer/murderer or not "And then...and then I suppose we can work it out from there, however it goes, I s'pose."

The waves weren't registering as a sound anymore, but they were becoming part of him, part of his ears. This was something he had to resolve.

"I dunno how long you guys have been here, but I reckon this beach's seen enough of my ugly mug for the last day or whatever. I...I dunno if it's still there, but I left my bag in the town. My stuff's probably gone, but...well, I don't think you'd wanna share your stuff with me for the next week or so, I'm a big eater. So you've got maps, don't you? You lead, and I'll follow."

Trying his best to work up his signature cocky smile, he picked up his cap from the sand, adjusted it so it faced forward on his head, and dropped a little something from his pocked into a small hole he'd been drilling with his foot, backwards and forwards.

"That sounds like the word, doesn't it?" Colin directed towards Tim. His words didn't accurately reflect the tone of his voice, still trying to find its way up through his throat like a worm trying to burry it's way out of the ground. He meant to try and put on a show of confidence, but what came up instead was a show of mild fake enthusiasm, as transparent as a glass of water.

Still, at least they'd know he was okay. Mourning, but okay.
Edited by Brackie, Dec 12 2010, 07:19 AM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The moments felt like minutes as he waited through the silence after telling his tale of woe and misery. His head hung in the air, his ears about literally perking up as he heard Jacob's breath, and then his voice.

"...if that's what happened, Colin...then I can't see any reason why it's your fault. If...you couldn't have known what was going to happen, then I don't see how you can blame yours-"

And then he suddenly stopped. Jacob may have thought that Colin had done what he had done intentionally, the pause honestly just serving to confuse the boy. His head turned as he looked up at their new companion, as he sat, looking contemplative. Was he second guessing his original statement? Please no.

"I'm ready to go whenever you guys are. Just say the word."

The break in the tension was welcome, to say the least. Colin offered a quick, single nod, standing and grabbing beginning to gather his things in silence, just wondering what was going through Jacob's head. Thankfully, that question would be answered relatively quickly. No longer did it take Jacob to speak up again than it had taken him to begin pulling his clothing from the night before off the makeshift drier that they had created from the embers and the coals.

"...you guys are all I have now. My friend's out there somewhere, and if I know him, I know he's not dead. I haven't died, so he knows the same for me. If we can find him, find our group of friends... and then... and then I suppose we can work it out from there, however it goes, I s'pose."

He smiled. I guess that means he didn't change his mind. A validation from someone who he didn't think just might feel obligated to make him feel better. As much as he valued Tim and his friendship, the pair had been close friends for the better part of a year now. His words had been extremely comforting, but somewhere in the back of Colin's mind, there was a thought that Tim may just want to make him feel better. That he did blame Colin. Having told his story to someone who had no ties, and their confirmation all but washed away guilt within him.

Damn, the world had to move on fast on this island. Sorrows and feelings that anywhere else would take months, or years even to move past and forget were flashing by in a matter of hours. Not that the feelings were any less real, but it almost seemed as if the island had detached itself from true time. Relationships that lasted years and decades dissolving in days. Killing, accidents... So much happening so fast. It was more than anyone could handle.

"I dunno how long you guys have been here, but I reckon this beach's seen enough of my ugly mug for the last day or whatever. I...I dunno if it's still there, but I left my bag in the town. My stuff's probably gone, but...well, I don't think you'd wanna share your stuff with me for the next week or so, I'm a big eater. So you've got maps, don't you? You lead, and I'll follow."

At least that was a plan. Some direction, some purpose. They had been here for two days after all. And frankly, Colin was starving. There was very little bread left in his own backpack. Just one question remained on his mind.

"Jacob... Are you sure you can make it that far on that leg?" He shook his head, pulling out the map and running a finger over it. It would be a little while yet until the danger zones were announced, and honestly, he figured it would be best to cover as much ground as possible before that speaker crackled to life again.

"Sounds good. If we head this way..." His finger on the map raised to point in a direction, about the way from which Jacob came. "...we can avoid most of the places that likely have people. I say we start now, make a pit stop here..." Back to the map with his finger. "...at the warehouses, and then double back around to the residential district." The last thing Colin wanted was to encounter anyone.

No more chance of killing. He wouldn't make that same mistake twice.

Slowly finishing up packing the few belongings that he still had, he nodded. "Alright, let's do this. Everyone ready?"

((Colin Falcone continued in Stay Frosty.))
Edited by T-Fox, Jan 9 2011, 04:49 AM.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Spoiler: click to toggle

ZombiexCreame
Member Avatar
it was a graveyard smash
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tim was relieved that Jacob didn't react harshly to Colin's incident with Tony. He figured that it would be pretty easy to grow paranoid over someone else's kill. Other than what that Mr. Danya said over the daily announcements, it was no telling what had really happened. Had it been an accident at all? Did something completely different happen? The only person that knew the truth was Danya (and his crew, of course), and, in his high-up position, he didn't even have to tell the truth if he didn't want to. He was the king of this castle.

Regardless, Jacob didn't try to shout or back away or flail wildly. He seemed to understand. Tim was happy with that reaction -- understanding. It was better than paranoid or on-edge.

Jacob mentioned something about finding his friends, so Tim nodded with enthusiasm and managed a small smile. It was good to hear Jacob talk about someone that wasn't Paige (and therefore, wasn't dead), so he figured everything was heading in the right direction. "Alright. We can keep an eye out for any of your friends. It would be nice to have a few more allies in our group. The more the merrier, huh?"

Jacob mentioned that he no longer had his stuff, so Tim nodded. "I haven't really eaten much of my rations, so I don't mind sharing. At least until we can find.. more." He shook his head, wondering what corpse they would have to take rations from. That was the only way to secure more food, right? Taking it from a dead student? Ugh. Tim lost even more of his appetite, but his mind was whipped into another direction. Colin was speaking, asking Jacob if he could make it far on that leg. Tim didn't bother to listen to Jacob's response, as it didn't matter much if he could make it far. It wasn't like they were going to stay on this damn beach any longer, and if Jacob wanted to rest every once in awhile, it wasn't like Colin or Tim would deny him that rest. They weren't sadists.

Colin seemed to have a traveling plan as he looked at his map. Tim nodded in agreement and started walking in the direction that Colin had indicated -- the direction that Jacob had came from. "I'm ready. Let's go!"

Tim didn't bother to ask why Colin wanted to avoid people. How would they form a nice, safe group if they were avoiding people? But he just figured that Colin was afraid to run into killers. As were most people, of course, but Tim thought that avoiding people would just deprive them of allies. But did they need anyone else? Did they need another person in their small group that they didn't know very well? Someone that could stab in their backs or steal their rations when they weren't looking? Tim glanced back at Colin and Jacob. Colin being his current best friend (Tim had other friends, but they were mostly younger than him, and thus, safe. And seeing as he'd most likely never see them again, Colin was now his closest friend). And then there was a Jacob. Jacob seemed like a very decent guy, he'd never hurt them. Tim trusted him even though he'd only been with the guy for a few days. But if he could trust these two, could he trust anyone else?

Tim was sure he'd figure out where his trust lied eventually.

((Timothy Questiare continued in Stay Frosty))
Edited by ZombiexCreame, Dec 24 2010, 01:08 AM.
Posted Image

Dawson Demarke: School Cafeteria♥
♥Soon to come: Francis Scodelaris♥

Brackie
Member Avatar
personification of adhd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Colin and Tim's worries were the most welcoming part of the whole experience. He was finally getting back on his feet again, after...after everything. He made a plan, he simply put it out there for both of them to hear, and now he had hope, promise, something to look forward to.

As the group started heading off in the general direction of the warehouses, or wherever they seemed to need to go, Jacob stopped. There was one more thing he needed to do.

Turning around in the sand, he walked back to the exact spot he was sitting, when he let it all out. Underneath his foot, or where his foot stood, was a hole in the ground. A small hole, dug by a human foot mindlessly drilling away beneath him. A hole which now held a remnant, a little reminder, of the things he'd never get back again.

His love.

His marriage.

His happiness, his true happiness, to be precise.

With his hands, these were buried beneath a few layers of sediment, and his eyes shut again. Jacob leaned forward and pressed his head to the sand.

Everything he remembered thinking was coming back now.

Fuck his dad. He never cared about Paige anyway, thought she was a waste of time.

Fuck other people. They were gonna bring him down. If they weren't on first-name basis, they were nothing.

Fuck the view. It was that view and that view along which tugged him back into his harsh reality, and if he didn't need it, he didn't need it.

Fuck the island. He could look forever, and he'd probably never find Paige again. The island had swallowed her up, taken her from his grasp.

Fuck his friends. Fuck, his friends, they were all the reason he had left now. If he tried to stay on his own, or tried to find something else, he wouldn't make it past the next day.

Fuck everyone around him. The people around him were the reason he was now short a life. It wasn't Danya, it was them. Unless Danya squeezed his fat, ugly hands around their throats, then he wasn't responsible for ending their lives, it was the people he used to think of as a safe haven.

Fuck the game. Fuck this whole thing, the only thing in his life he couldn't win. Any game he partook in was easy pickings, since he was a huge hulking motherfucker who didn't even have the brainpower to know when to quit. But this game was taking everything away from him, not just his life, but his ability to think properly about what he needed to do.

Fuck the ocean. A wall of water, trapping them all. It was a prison, it was something he never wanted to see, a wall of water. It wasn't a literal wall, that would be dangerous, but it was the same in theory as well as practice. A wall. Water. It...Maybe if he was literally as close to dying as he was last time, he could come back here. Just to scream to the ocean one last time.

Fuck Danya. No matter what, he had to get whatever the hell was coming to him. Jacob would never be able to do it, but somebody had to. If someone could just end him, or even get near him just fast enough to break his neck, make him hurt...

Fuck everything in the whole world. Everything in the world was not what was waiting for Jacob Charles after these precious few moments. This island, this fucking island, was all that was waiting for him.

Paige was gone.

But a new existence spread out in front of him. An existence that relied on making sure that somebody who deserved to live, someone who had everything to live for, made it out of here.

He lifted his head from the sand, and opened his eyes.

"Goodbye Paige."

Lifting himself from the sand, he started off fast after the two boys, probably wondering what he was up to.

I love you Paige, and I always will. You'll be in my heart for the rest of my life.

Rest in peace.

((Jacob Charles continued in Stay Frosty))

[[THREAD CONCLUDED]]

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The Beach: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply