Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Some Fantastic
Topic Started: Sep 12 2010, 12:02 PM (3,226 Views)
T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Peter McCue continued from Extinguishing the Light of the Future.))

Peter hurt. Again. The pack that he was lugging around was heavy beyond beleif, and by the time that he and Max had found their ways from the tunnels, his back might as well have been on fire. His brow was drenched in sweat, and between the hiking pack he lugged and the daypack he held in his hand, the 130 pound boy had to have been carrying around 75 pounds of stuff. Stuff that while it would be nice, he really, really didn't need.

However, the sight of the light at the end of the tunnel sent joy through the tired and battered boy's body. Freedom from that absolute bullshit! Finally! Maybe I can sit down, go through my stuff... Hey, the stuff I leave behind will make someone else's final days that much more comfortable.

However what he surveyed upon exiting the cavern set him with rage. No, it wasn't the clear cut lumber site; however on any ofther day that would have blown the environmentalist in him into sheer mirth. Nor was it even the hilly landscape, which normally would have given him a small shudder at the recolection of his legs ache at the High Adventure.

No, it was the fact that he just walked out of the darkness. Into the darkness. His blood boiled as he entertained the prospect of never seeing the light again; the prospect of dying tonight. Little did Peter know that he had awoken at dusk, and wandered those tunnels for nine hours, combined between the stops, breaks, and naps. And the whole being lost thing. Yeah, can't forget about that.

Fuck that.

Either way, Peter needed yet another break. Carrying this God Forsaken backpack had worn him to the ends of his endurance multiple times. It was only supposed to be a camping trip. He should have only needed to lug the fucking thing five feet from the bus to the campsite, and then not move it again. A fifty pound pack should have been fine.

Then again, no one had expected to be kidnapped by damned terrorists.

"Hey, Max! Katlin! Let's rest here for a while. Maybe even set up camp for a nap?" Even though it was still dark, and he was still infuriated, it was still probably not the worst idea to re-energize a bit. And go through his crap at the same time. The tent can go, the sleeping bag could go, the extra clothes could go... Yeah, that one would suck later on. But the clothes probably made up a quarted of the weight of his pack.

"Hey, you guys coming?!"
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sorry about how long this post took. Things have been kinda busy.))

"Sure thing, Peter. If you have tools and skills, then go ahead with the camp. I think I'll take a look around this place."

He chuckled. Apparently his reputation as a bit of a camping nut hadn't quite preceded him around the school. "Max, you don't know the half of it. I got this."

"Still no sign of Katlin..."

Peter had already knelt and dumped his pack, undoing the top clasp and letting the top of the canvas bag flip open, the sleeping pad he had jammed in-between the main pack and the cover almost springing out all on it's own. His mind lost in thought, all he could utter in response was an affirmative "Mmm."

Funny. I thought I'd packed better than that...

And in fact he did. Danya's henchmen hadn't done quite that good of a job re-packing the hiking pack of an experienced Eagle Scout after rummaging through his belongings. A bungee cord forgotten here, things layered wrong there... Peter over the eight years of scouts had packing down to an exact science. But before he had the chance to undo the tie holding the bottom section of his bag together, he heard Max's voice again; something a bit more fearful than just the earlier banter not a few moments ago.

"And on the other side... Wait."

His head turned from the bag back up to his new companion. "What's up Max?"

"We're not alone. I don't know who, but I'm pretty sure there's someone over there. Should I check it out?"

The boy's eyes went wide as he quickly processed the situation. If there hadn't been a noise, odds were that the others hadn't noticed them yet. That means that if the others would be hostile, they could flee. If the others were friendly, they could still know ahead of time.

"I've got a pair of binoculars here. Hang on a second..." He laid the pack flat out, rummaging through a couple of the front compartments, before extracting a small black zipper bag containing a pair of collapsible binoculars, handing the bag to Max as-is. "Use these." As he turned to hand the bag to Max, he noticed the gun, reactively startling a bit. "Dude, be careful with that thing. We really don't want to spook anybody."

He quickly shook his head, indicating for Max to put the gun away until they at least knew the other's intentions.

"Well, what do you see?" His hand hovered over the sleeping pad, ready to pack it back up and run if need absolutely dictated it so.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Peter sat silently, listening to what Max had to say about the scene. He made a point to keep his head down, his hand hovering between the sleeping pad and the half open backpack, nodding as he tensed, waiting to hear the bad news he so inevitably expected.

"He's armed. Some kind of a rifle I think."

Damn it... That's not a good thing... His eyes closed as he took a deep breath, trying to decide what to do if the other pair indeed were hostile. They could always just retreat into the tunnels. But that might mean they would lose Katlin more than they already had. They could try and fight... No. He was better than that, he refused to fight against and kill his classmates. That's just what Danya wanted them to do.

"Ok, they're talking, I guess. Possible they argue, because they just turned their backs on each oth-"'

A quick, deep exhalation, he prepared to back and turn, tail between his legs.

And then the tension broke in a single instant.

"Ooookay, I stand corrected... Apparently the guy's changing his clothes."

The way that Max's fearful and cautious voice broke into embarrassment and awkwardness almost made the boy fall into a small fit of laughter. Oh, the luxuries he would rarely be afforded again in his short life.

Max's next question however stunned Peter. He had just asked if they should approach the other pair. If they weren't hostile, then obviously they should! He and his companion held high ground, so there was no sense in not unpacking here either way. However, there was also just as little sense in not going towards the two sitting down on the log in the middle of the sea of stumps. "Max, if they aren't hostile, why should we leave them there to die?" As naive as the statement was, it made 100% sense him. His hands danced over the pack, quickly tossing out a couple of supplies. The sleeping bag was rolled over closer to Max, and a pair of flashlights were removed from the bag. Now the only question that stood was whether to flag the pair down, or just head down there themselves?

"On the off chance they do end up being hostile, bring the Pistol anyways. Just don't use it if you don't have to." He continued to rummage in the pack for a moment, before pulling out a white T-Shirt and stretching it out. Reaching behind him, he grabbed a branch, presumably left behind after one of the mighty trees that once made up this plot's residence was felled, and tying the arms off to it. "Just so they know we're friendly too." Yelling was a terrible idea, as it was more likely for more than just their intended targets to hear the noise. A white flag against this backdrop was significantly less likely to be offhandedly spotted by the nearest player on the other hand. The flag slowly rose as he spoke, poking over the rocks behind which they hid.

"You ready to do this Max?" He pushed himself off the dirt patch as he asked, prepared to start walking down and find out just who these two were.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
They were finally ready for this. Everthing was going according to plan. They would just wave the white flag, convey intentions, and then try and come up with a plan. Katlin had just yelled out from the tunnels, and Max was muttering something about that damn gun again. Seriously, will you drop it for ten minutes? You're gonna piss someone off with the thing if you keep waving it around li-

BANG

The boy almost jumped out of his skin, the ground pad in his hand falling to the ground and rolling down the hill. His hands instinctively raced over his body, searching for holes in the skin. And as soon as he realized that he was fine, he began to get pissed. His head turned to the other two they were approaching not a minute ago were diving behind a log... Yep, that was a rifle. God damn it. He took a deep breath and looked back to Katlin. Just as she had emerged, she sunk back in to the darkness.

"MAX, FUCK!" His voice was still a mix between shock and frustration. What person thought it would be a good idea to give this kid a gun? "How many times have I told you to put it the fuck away?!?" If Peter had been mad before in his life, it was nothing compared to this. Max was going to kill someone; make a mistake he couldn't take back, and then it would be on all of their hands. Admittedly having the Gun was good for intimidation and protection, but not if it was going to be handled like this.

Taking the stick in his hands and jamming it into the sand, the white flag flew- a little more appropriately now than before. The white flag signaled peace and surrender. Now surrender could actually be construed. And as soon as the flag was securely placed, the shirt flowing in the wind, he turned to Max. "Give me the god damn gun. Before you fucking kill someone!" He put his hand out, expecting to soon feel the cold steel touching his palm. There was no question, just an order.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...What?

Max had literally just broken when Peter asked for the Gun. He started spouting something about "this all being part of his plan" and "manipulated and disposed of". He sounded like a conspiracy theorist. Peter only wanted the gun because he at least had some minimal experience with a gun. Granted it was a .22 pellet rifle at scout camp, but he had a basic understanding of a safety and gun safety in general. And Max obviously didn't. If he could have truly understood society and how it works, he would know that he should have prefaced with something about his experience, and not "Give me the God Damn gun". And he would have understood just how he came off to his now Ex-Companion.

But he didn't, and he never would. As it stood, he felt a twinge of relief that the crazy kid that he had misjudged was gone and couldn't hurt him or Katlin anymore. That sprint made Peter's eyes spin, watching fear and paranoia incarnate flee into the woods, probably towards his final resting place. And Peter hurt because he couldn't prevent this. But it was probably for the better. If Max was that unstable, Katlin and Peter really were in danger.

Thoughts of the two down in the field left his mind in favor of his group's own internal struggle. Now he just thought for Katlin. Had she fled during this incident?

"KATLI-"

"Peter! Let's go!"

Oh. That answered his question. Again he was caught off guard as Katlin sprinted past him. "Shit, wait for me!" His eyes flashed between his things, half strewn on the ground. Keeping up with her was more important than this stuff. The ground pad and binoculars laid on their own on the ground as he scooped up what of the pack he could, turning on his heel and running after, her, clipping the awkward bag as he ran, hoping nothing decided to fly out of the top. Almost as an afterthought, his hand hooked through one of the straps of the day pack, making sure he didn't lose his main food and water supply; those provided rations. "Katlin, wait up!" He shouted after her as he attempted to maintain his balance, his stubby little legs moving as fast as they could carry him.

((Peter McCue continued elsewhere.))

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((I think that the fat lady has sung for this thread. Thread is closed.))
Edited by T-Fox, Nov 1 2010, 11:07 AM.

Memories of those past:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply