Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Some Fantastic
Topic Started: Sep 12 2010, 12:02 PM (3,151 Views)
Yossarian
Member Avatar
evolved into EPIC Yossarian
[ *  *  * ]
((Maxwell Crowe continued from Extinguishing the Light of the Future))

Despite it's claustrophobic environment, Max actually liked the tunnels. Or at least he liked it when someone was there. Lots of footsteps, grunting or even shouting voices - it all created a powerful echo which was like a music to Maxwell's ear. Well, music substitute would be more appropriate, but since it was doing it's job, Max didn't complain. He took extra special care with every little step through the tunnel, to be sure they created a steady rhythm while the rest of the sounds were supposed to create a melody. It worked... Kinda. It was a cacophony, but, not of a major kind. He heard a lot worse sounds from some bands that tried to be professional. It was definitely enough to make this hellish trip through tight tunnels a bit more pleasant.

Actually, as he and Peter finally found the exit, Max looked at the new environment and decided that he liked the tunnel more. Sure, his back tried to force a completely different opinion on that subject, and some fresh air was definitely nice, but the place was like a football pitch 2 hours after a concert - empty, deserted and what was worse - completely quiet. Just him, Peter suggesting taking a rest, and several square miles of testimony of human's greed. Not that he really cared about the trees, but the view was really... Unsettling, especially after dark.

"Sure thing, Peter." Max replied to they boy. Unsettled or not, he could really use some good rest. "If you have tools and skills, then go ahead with the camp. I think I'll take a look around this place."

Max spotted the tallest tree stump around and climbed on it to have a better view (he would rather not stand on those small pyramids made from logs. Those things could be extremely unstable). Firstly, he looked at the direction they just came from.

"Still no sign of Kaitlin..." He told to himself, but loud enough for Peter to hear that. Maxwell's eyes, after spending some time in the tunnels, were already adjusted to the dark, so he had only slight problems with spotting things from a distance. Flat area without many obstacles blocking the view also helped.

"And on the other side... Wait."

Some silhouette... Yeah definitely some human shape moving then stopping. That's about all he could see from his stump. Maxwell jumped down back to Peter.

"We're not alone. I don't know who, but I'm pretty sure there's someone over there. Should I check it out?"

Max raised his hand wielding a gun. He had no intention of using it, but it certainly boosted his confidence enough to propose something he would normally avoid, especially in current circumstances.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:
B019 - Maxwell Crowe (In Transit) - Weapon: Auto Mag 180 (.44)
B068 - Michał 'Mike' Maszer (The Key) - Weapon: Cyanide Pill
B075 - Robert 'Rob' Jenkins (In Transit) - Weapon: Kevlar Bulletproof Vest, M15 General Officers (.45 ACP)
B078 - Gareth 'Gary Griffith (The Warehouse) - Weapon: Nightstick

V4 Dead: None (Yay!)

V5 (Hopefully): No ideas yet ;]

This is not a song, IT'S A SANDWICH!!!

Mah achievements:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Only as Peter told him to watch out with his weapon, Max realized how careless he was before. He basically paraded with his gun almost all of the time, and that COULD be the signal of hostility for someone. And if that certain someone is armed as well - tragedy could've happened.

"Yeah, sorry for that."

Max lowered the gun down, and took the binoculars from Peter. He didn't know Peter before (while being in friendly contact with every people he met in school so far, Max never really socialized much with people outside of his closest group of friends, apart from some occasional discussions about music on some completely random occasion), so he was quite amazed of crazy level of preparation for the trip, almost as he knew something bad will happen. Tent, binoculars, plenty of various tools (and probably there was even more of them in the first place, as the terrorists most likely took away any sharp object from their things). Maxwell couldn't hide his amazement.

"Wow, dude... You planned to spend the entire trip in the woods?" But before he could hear the answer, Max reminded himself, why did he took that binoculars from Peter in the first way. "Oh right, that's not important right now..."

Once again, Maxwell climbed the same tree stump and started looking at the silhouette in the distance... Only now it wasn't silhouette, but a normal human being, thanks to the binoculars. As he observed the surrounding, he spoke aloud about everything he noticed, so Peter could get the insight as well.

"Ok, there's a guy... And a girl now. One of them must've come here just a second ago, because I could swear there was only one person before." Max tried to recognize the two students in the distance but without luck, even though he was pretty sure he passed them a few times on the school corridor, especially the girl. "No idea who are they. I know that the girl appeared around everywhere in the school, but I don't know her name. As for the guy... No idea as well, but... Oh." Max spotted something important and potentially dangerous. "He's armed. Some kind of a rifle I think."

Maxwell went silent for a few seconds and observed the couple. Then, he spoke again.

"Ok, they're talking, I guess. Possible they argue, because they just turned their backs on each oth-" Before he could finish his sentence, Max noticed the true purpose of their action. Not really looking forward to watching another guy naked, Max put away the binoculars and got back to the ground. "Ooookay, I stand corrected... Apparently the guy's changing his clothes." Max gave the binoculars back to his owner before asking the obvious question.

"So... What now? They don't look very hostile... At least I think so... Should we approach them?"
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:
B075 - Robert 'Rob' Jenkins (In Transit) - Weapon: Kevlar Bulletproof Vest, M15 General Officers (.45 ACP)

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Max remained silent, as Peter made his speech and began preparing the white flag. He wasn't really someone who would go by the 'Code of Honor' or anything like that, but the symbol they were going to show, filled him with doubt.

White flag? Doesn't that mean 'we surrender'?

Then again, if those other two were hostile, they would probably kill them on sight. If they weren't, they wouldn't take them as the hostages or anything, so the flag was pretty harmless... Probably. It's better to show the symbol of peace (or cowardice, for zealous people), rather than create a terrible misunderstanding, anyway.

Speaking of terrible misunderstandings and things that could trigger them, Max looked at his gun again. If He and Peter were going to confront the others with the flag, flashing a gun right before their eyes had a decent chance of ruining everything. Max decided it would be in their best interest to hide the gun for a bit, until they'll be recognized as a non-threat.

"You ready to do this Max?" Asked Peter, as he prepared everything on his side before the confrontation.

"Just a minute, Peter." Max replied. "I need to hide this pistol before we'll meet them. Pistol and a white flag are not a good combination, I think. Now, since It may be needed in worst case scenario, I think, I'll just... Wait."

At first, Max tried to hide the gun in his pocket, but then he reminded himself of all those funny Darwin Award stories about people who did the same and shot their balls off. Since Max didn't really want to say goodbye to his family jewels, he had to find an alternate way.

"No, that won't do..."

Maxwell opened his daypack and took out the Auto Mag 180 weapon manual. He didn't know anything about guns (except from Guns N' Roses, that is), but he watched a few movies, where some super action hero like Steven Seagal, sucker punched his enemy by telling him his gun still had his safety switch pulled on. And that meant that his pistol could also have one as well.

"Okay, I think I got it." Max said to himself but loud enough for Peter to hear it. "If I'll just pull this thing right over the barrel, the safety switch should be on, and then... We.. Will be... Good to... Go... Damn it."

As Max spoke those last few words, he tried to pull the switch several times, but it just didn't want to move. Maybe he was too weak to do that, or maybe some dirt and water got inside it as he wandered through the cave and it jammed the mechanism. Perhaps even both of those things. Nonetheless, he kept trying.

During the struggle with his Auto Mag, Max learned another, very important thing about handling weapons - On the contrary of what you see on the TV - Never hold your finger on the trigger unless you're about to shoot.

BANG!

Loud noise from the firearm let Max feel like on a concert for a while, as the loud screech invaded his ears, almost deafening him in the process. He stared dumbfounded for a few seconds at an empty shell of his gun, which landed just inches to the left of a small hole in the ground he just created. Luckily for everyone, no one got hurt, as Max had at least a bit of common sense, and he pointed the gun to the ground beforehand.

"FUCK!" He shouted out way louder than he thought he did, as his ears were still damaged. "SORRY! I DIDN'T WANT TO!"
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As Peter shown his more impulsive side after the accident, Max tried to calm him down, although since he was far away from being calm himself, his explanation hardly worked.

"MAX, FUCK! How many times have I told you to put it the fuck away?!?"

"Hey, I was trying to do just that. I just wanted to pull that safety switch on. Were you even listening to me? Okay, I screwed up, I understand, and I'm sorry, but our lives weren't in danger. I pointed that thing to the ground, chill out."

Max could hardly blame Peter for that outburst. Even though it was an accident, Max was perfectly aware that it could be easily avoided, if he would be smart enough to keep his finger away from the trigger. As a person, who usually just goes with the flow, and doesn't mind the past mistakes as long as he'll learn to avoid them in the future, Max wanted to finish talking about the gun already, and move along. He was already stressed enough, to the point, he noticed his hands were shaking a bit. He needed to listen to some music right now, and not excuse to Peter for the billionth time, so he was glad to hear and execute any order to repent for his 'sin'.

"Give me the god damn gun."

Except from that one.

"WHAT?"

Max noticed Peter saying something after the order, but since Max brutally interrupted him he didn't know what exactly. But did that matter? He wanted him to GIVE AWAY his only form of defense on this island? Why would he want that? After all, Max wasn't stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. He wouldn't even touch that trigger on his Auto Mag ever again, unless it was completely necessary. So why? There was no reason to do so, unless...

Silence. Complete silence which started to scare him. He just made a huge noise. He should have heard the rustling sound of animals running away or whatever. But there was none of that. Max looked nervously around. Movement near the caves. Kaitlin? Or maybe someone else. Or maybe even Kaitlin, but not the one he expected. After all, he barely knew her. Guy with the rifle and the girl back in the distance were gone now. Or were they? They probably just sat behind the cover, waiting for the moment he would be defenseless. Waiting for the signal. The signal being...

Max looked at his shaky hands, then again at Peter, his angry face, and his open palm demanding the gun. HIS gun.

That's it. That's exactly what he wanted. Max's gun. He just waited for the perfect occasion. Maybe even HE was the one to jam the locking mechanism in his handgun, you never know.

"So... That's your plan, huh?" Max looked at Peter with eyes full of fear. Open field, lots of hiding spots. And silence. The god damn silence. A perfect setting for a trap.

"You think, you got me huh? You think you can play me like a guitar, MANIPULATE me into giving away my only protection, and then DISPOSE OF ME like a waste, huh?" Max pointed his handgun at Peter with his trembling hands. His whisper filled the air once again. "I saw right through you. You won't fool me."

Max's index finer started to look for the trigger, when he realized something. Someone in the cave. Two people 'Missing'. Of course. He was outnumbered. The moment he would pull the trigger, the others would change him into a swiss cheese.

No, he couldn't do that. Not now. But if he won't, they'll kill him anyway. Silence. the god damn silence.

Instantly, Max lowered his hand, turned himself toward the forest line and made a mad dash in it's direction. He wasn't sure, but that was probably the fastest sprint in his entire life. Even when he reached the forest, he still didn't slow down, only dodged an occasional tree before him. He wanted to be as far away from the trap as possible. He was not going to die. Not on that day. Not anytime soon.

And silence. The god damn silence was finally gone, as his feet touched the ground second after second.

((Max Crowe continued in The Mercenary))
Edited by Yossarian, Nov 2 2010, 05:37 AM.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply