Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
If That Looking Glass Gets Broke; open
Topic Started: Sep 8 2010, 10:34 PM (3,235 Views)
Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
Eldritch Consumer, Requiem Agent
[ * ]
((Alexander Seymour continued from Droplets))

Alexander wandered about aimlessly. He had failed to obtain an actual weapon, in a brilliantly stupid way. He kept enough sense to stay off obvious roads, trying to keep hidden. There was no need to be careless after all.

For what seemed like hours he wandered. He had to keep moving, no matter how he felt. He had to find someone, anyone who might have something better than his crappy box of pills. Not that it was useless, caffiene could help keep him awake during the nights, but he was defenseless for crying out loud.

Have to find something. Anything. Please, whatever cruel god put me in this damn place, at least give me a weapon.

He came across a tree. A large tree. Had to be quite old to have gotten that big. "Well, that is one way to find a landmark." He said, at first not noticing the boy sitting next to it.

A second or so later, he did notice him. He froze. How could he have just exposed himself that easily. He was sure he'd be killed. There was nowhere to run or hide, not from this position. If only he had stayed hidden he wouldn't be in—

Wait. This guy isn't armed. He looks like he's, dying.

He went over to the boy, cautiously but not too cautiously. He felt that there wasn't much the guy could do in his condition.

"Hey, are you still alive?" He asked. Really, he didn't much care. If he wasn't alive, he'd just search him for something that might be considered a weapon. If he was, then all he had to do was wait. It didn't seem like he'd have to wait long.

He wasn't sure if he should do this, but he decided it couldn't hurt. "The name is Alexander Seymour. Yours?" For some reason, Alex could not do anything but simply wait there for a response. Something about this place, this time, this feeling, made all his survival instincts take a back seat to this moment of interaction.
Proud Member of the Trans-Dimensional/Temporal Police Department... or a fugitive from justice evading them. Take your pick.

Fanning the flames of war since two topics ago. And loving every minute of it. *EVIL SMILE*

The Present
Spoiler: click to toggle

The Past

The Future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Why do I feel at ease here? This place is death but I feel almost peaceful.

"I..." he started his response. He really wasn't sure. His immediate need was to find a weapon. But that was only to meet his greater need. That being survival. But somehow, he felt that wouldn't be an adequate explanation.

"I'm lost. I suppose I'm trying to find my way. Out of what, I'm not sure. Nor am I sure where I'm going." He felt himself loosening up. The tension from before, that survival instinct that kept him constantly surveying what was going on around him was almost silent now.

"Why are you keeping your arms like that. You should conserve your strength. You don't look like you'll last much longer anyway." Alex said, strangely sounding as if he cared.

Why do I care? This doesn't concern me. But I can't just leave...

He sat down a few feet away from Dominic. "Do you mind if I sit here with you?" He felt like he had to see this through, to stay with this boy no matter what happened. Almost as if, almost as if it was necessary. Like his own life depended on it.

This is strange. So very strange.

He took out the pills, twirling the box over in his hands. Rest. He couldn't recall when he'd last stopped to rest. Here seemed like a good spot. Just rest, for a while.
Proud Member of the Trans-Dimensional/Temporal Police Department... or a fugitive from justice evading them. Take your pick.

Fanning the flames of war since two topics ago. And loving every minute of it. *EVIL SMILE*

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
He had to put a stop to this. As much as he cared about his own survival, he wouldn't just turn a blind eye to someone else's distress.

But survival of the fittest is the law of the world. We're nothing but animals, and animals survive by any means.

Despite his brain giving every rationalization he could think of for why he should just leave, citing everything he'd ever observed about human nature and the way the world is, he couldn't bring himself to actually do it. He wasn't exactly a good person. He didn't get along that well. But he wasn't cruel. To someone who had done nothing to him, someone who was just fading away on their own, he couldn't abandon them.

To do so would be to become lower than anything he could possibly think of. All his aggressiveness and reckless behavior, all his anger and frustration, all that was merely fuel to keep him alive. But right now he wasn't thinking about himself, not anymore, at least not for the moment.

"We have to get out of here." He started to get up. This place was peaceful, but that peace wouldn't last. There were other people in this place too, and he knew they all had one thing in mind: survive. Survival in this place meant removing as many threats as possible. And everyone was a threat.

The animal kingdom may operate on survival of the fittest, but to be human is more than simply living. We differentiated ourselves from animals. That's why we're on top. And if we go back to acting like animals, then we don't deserve to be on top.

He'd made up his mind. No matter what, he'd make sure that he'd survive... along with Dominic. Neither of them were dying, not today. One thing was for sure, if they were going to make it he'd have to snap Dom out of whatever hallucination he was having.

"Get up Dom. Let's move. We're not lost anymore. I know what I'm living for now. We're going to make it, but if we're going to do that I need your help." He walked over to the boy and held out his hand.

"Whatever it is you're seeing and feeling, it isn't real. That isn't what's happening. This is. What's happening now is a nightmare. But I intend to see us through that nightmare. I swear it. So please, get up."

This was a bad situation. He knew he couldn't leave Dom behind, not now. But he didn't seem like he was in any condition to make it. He was humming nursery rhymes for god's sake. But like it or not, they had to go. NOW.

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Alex had little idea of where to go. They certainly couldn't stay here. It was too open, too many places to be ambushed from. No telling who or what might come in here at any time. But where to go?

Think Alex, think. There has to be somewhere safe close by.

He looked around for any indication of a safe haven. "Dammit." He didn't remember which direction he had come in from, nor did he have any idea of which way to go.

Okay. Try to think things out. That announcement said something about danger. I can't really recall. I wasn't paying attention. From what I can recall, we're not in those zones mentioned. So for now, we're safe. BUT, people are gonna be moving from the danger zones. And they might end up coming here. We can't be here when that happens.

He thought for a moment of how to decide where to go. Nothing came to mind. He sighed. "Well, no sense waiting around. Let's go." He motioned for Dom to follow him, going off in the direction he was looking. From the look in his eyes, it seemed like he wanted to go there.

"I'll lead, okay? Let's find someplace safe."

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
What the hell was the holdup now? They couldn't afford to waste any more time here. And Dom didn't seem to get that whatever he was seeing wasn't real, and it certainly wasn't helping him at all. He said a name, Abby or something like that, and that was all Alex needed to know. He'd either have to convince Dom that this 'Abby' wasn't really there, or he'd just have to knock him out for his own good.

Funny that I may have to resort to violence in order to protect us from violence. Alex frowned, trying to decide what to do.

"Look, we don't have time. Someone could walk in here at any moment. I'm sure I stumbled upon you for a reason. And I'm not quite sure what that reason is, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just leave you to get killed." Alex folded his arms and sighed. "I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to dispel your illusion."

He took a deep breath before continuing. As frustrating as it was to see Dom still act as though he was somewhere else rather than this hellhole, he couldn't afford to come off as agitated. Who knows what Dom would do if he felt threatened?

"Whoever this 'Abby' person is, I guarantee you that person is not real. You are IMAGINING them. I don't know why, I don't know what for, but it is true. Now please, stop messing around and come with me. You want to live don't you?"

Alex looked around for anything that might help 'pacify' Dom, just in case. He was already tired from walking who knows how long or far, and he didn't want to make this last longer than it needed. If Dominic cooperated then, hey, that's good. If he didn't, Alex wanted to be prepared.

Nothing. Great. I'll just have to go with my bare hands then. Wonderful.

Alex felt this situation was a little bit ironic. Here he was determined to help keep both himself and Dom alive, and he was contemplating hurting Dom. For his own good of course. It was logical, rational. It was the right thing to do, right?

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Alex couldn't believe what was going through his head right now. A moment ago he'd had a 'revelation' that in order to not just be another casualty, in order to truly stay human no matter what, he had to protect someone else besides himself. Now, now he was seriously contemplating doing everything but that.

Dom was crazy, he was having a complete mental breakdown. And Alex knew, oh he knew that meant Dom could do anything now. Sure he may look like he was frail and weak, emotionally exhausted, but that could all be an elaborate act. Humans are capable of such things, he was sure of it.

Or am I reading too much into it? Am I being paranoid because I don't have a weapon and I don't want to die?

"Hey Dom, you're okay right? Not having any suicidal," He spoke the next two words under his breath, "or homicidal, thoughts are you?" He took a step backwards, just in case. Or was that the wrong move? Should he have taken a step forward? Is intimidation more useful than caution in this situation?

He studied Dom very closely. If it came to it, he was sure that a good blow to the head would incapacitate him, perhaps even permanently.

But what about taking care of him?

No, that kind of thinking was crazy. Taking care of someone else? This was survival of the fittest. There was only oneself, always. Everyone else was a foe, a dangerous enemy. And enemies had to be killed in order to ensure one's survival. But he couldn't just become a murderer like that. Just like that.

No, he had made up his mind. He was leaving. And if Dom followed him... he'd have to kill him. It was the only way to be sure.

"Sorry about this. I really am. But I can't risk staying with you. I just can't."

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
(Posting to stave off inactivity.)

"I'm sorry." Alex began backing off slowly from the site. He didn't want to startle Dom. He hadn't completely made up his mind about whether to kill him or not. And he didn't want to have to make that decision on a moment's notice.

Alex kept shifting his focus from Dom to the area around them. He was searching for something, anything with which to defend himself. Nothing but a couple of small rocks. Not even so much as a tree branch. So then if he had to fight it'd be with his bare hands.

"Don't follow me. I don't want to have to hurt you. Just don't" He kept backing off slowly. He wouldn't run until he was sure that he wouldn't be followed. He couldn't risk that. He couldn't.

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
As soon as Dom took that second step Alex knew what he had to do. What he must do to survive. Survival of the Fittest. The name of the game and the law of the world. It was nothing personal. Nothing personal at all.

Alex would run. He'd run as fast as he could, no matter how tired he was. Or wasn't. He had caffeine pills. That should help. All he had to do was take a dose after he beat the ever loving crap out of Dom.

But before he got to running for his life, he had to make absolutely sure there was no chance of him being followed. That meant killing the only person around who could follow him.

But to kill just like that. I can't do that. I can't. But I must. I have to. If I don't, I'll die. And I don't want to die out here.

"I told you to stay away." Alexander said, his anger rising taking a step towards Dominic. "Get the hell away from me." He took a swing. And with that conscious decision, all other options flew out the window. It didn't matter if that first swing hit or not, he'd make sure that Dom wouldn't ever get up again.

The Present

The Past

The Future

Lord_Shadow
Member Avatar
[ * ]
(GMing approved by faceinabook. Also, apologies for dragging this thing on so long. My part in this ends with this post.)

There was no way he could back down now. No way he could simply walk away. He had struck first, and now Dom was coming after him.

"I said get away from me!" He took a swing at Dom's midsection, and another, and another. Alex threw punch after punch, not wiling to stop for anything. He made another heavy swing to Dom's head, bringing the boy down. And once he was down he began to kick him with everything he had.

Rage, frustration, anger, and confusion were all channeled into each hit. Alex beat Dom as hard as he could possibly muster, but didn't kill him.

No, instead he'd leave him to die.

"Survival of the fittest. That's the name of the game and the law of the world. And so I will survive, and you will not. Bye, thanks for helping me realize that." Alex left him, tuning out anything the boy may have said. He didn't want to hear it. He wasn't going to hear it. Survival was all that mattered to him now. And no one nor anything would stop him from surviving. He popped a caffeine pill. He couldn't afford to be tired, not now.

(Alexander Seymour continued in Still Going Strong)
Edited by Lord_Shadow, Jul 10 2011, 01:04 AM.

The Present

The Past

The Future

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply