Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pearl and Destiny; Open Thread
Topic Started: Aug 31 2010, 01:42 PM (4,860 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Jasper-Declan MacDermott continued from Come & See]]

It was a rather uninteresting journey.

If such a thing could ever be said of any journey. Let alone one that had a high likelihood of ending in your own demise.

Anyway- Jasper-Declan was surprised by the lack of activity he spotted on his way from the beach. Admittedly he hadn't walked all that far, but even so- he knew there were more than 200 students on this trip, maybe even close to 300, and he assumed that the island was fairly small. And so, the likelihood of me encountering another student would be quite high. But even so... Even so, there'd been no one. He passed by a building- a church, by the look of it?- but he had not stopped. He had no desire to be cornered and killed in a church of all things. He kept moving- there were, presumably, other places to see.

Indeed- he found his way to another building. This one was far larger- it appeared to be some kind of warehouse. I wonder what kind of things were once stored here? What was this island like before it became a killing ground for high school students? What sort of business was conducted here? It was a topic of immense and morbid fascination to him. I wonder what became of the original residents. Are they watching this program, watching the remnants of their previous lives become splattered with blood? Or perhaps they've all been killed themselves.

That was sobering. He stopped for a moment to consider the warehouse.

It's...certainly large. Jasper-Declan considered it for a moment. The smart thing would be to pass it by, as he had the church. He could easily be cornered inside, not to mention that it was dark. But when he saw a light come from within- a fleeting light, most likely someone's flashlight- his curiosity got the better of him. There was something happening inside. Given that there were no gunshots, and that he himself had a gun, he felt safe enough to enter the warehouse, though not so safe that he didn't first retrieve his own flashlight from his bag and turn it on.

"...Hello?" He soon spotted two others. Male and female- he was unsure of their names off the top of his head. Neither looked particularly dangerous to him. He walked towards them, slowly, hoping not to cause alarm, though he knew from his last encounter that the gun in his hand was enough to make people panic.

"...I promise I mean you no harm."
Edited by Hollyquin, Sep 16 2010, 08:09 PM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper-Declan couldn't say he was entirely surprised when the girl- he racked his brain to think of her name, something with an M? Maria, maybe? something of the sort- maneuvered herself behind the boy (who looked extremely familiar at this point- Jasper-Declan was sure he'd seen him in the pool during free time, though he definitely wasn't on the team).

Does the possession of a gun automatically make them perceive me as a threat? Does nothing else matter? Could this gun be attached to any other person and elicit the same response? ...Or perhaps it is just me who is threatening to them. He wrinkled his nose at this. I do wonder if they have any idea who I am. I certainly do not know them.

"Okay, but I'm confused. If you aren't gonna hurt us, why are you pointing-"

Jasper-Declan was ready with a response- he had meant to simply point out the truth, which was that at this moment he wasn't pointing the gun at them and in fact it was loose in the grasp of his right hand, swinging by his side. But he didn't have time before two things interrupted him.

A loudspeaker out of sight crackled to life. And someone screamed.

He did not move. He hadn't heard any sound that indicated to him that anyone had been attacked, so logically the scream was caused by the sound of the speakers. Most likely someone had been startled. It was the voice coming from the speakers that interested him.

"Kids, I have to say that I'm truly impressed with your first day showing. . ."

He paid close attention. He noticed that the girl- Marion was her name, he finally remembered- was taking notes, which seemed a logical course of action to him, though of course he had no notebook or pencil. The number of deaths surprised him slightly- Nineteen...so many. It seems strange that so many of my classmates would resort to violence so quickly. Though I suppose in a stressful enough situation, all things are possible...- but he shook that away and continued listening.

The names were largely unfamilar. The main name he was looking for- that of Alex Campbell- was absent, and no other name that he would have recognized was spoken. It was easy for him to put the matter out of his mind and refocus on the matter at hand.

The boy seemed to have located someone else. A girl, whose face he recognized from the halls but who he otherwise had no knowledge of. She looked...bad seemed like an inadequate description. Carly, he said her name was? And his name was George. He stored those names in his mind and took a few steps forward- he had no intention of dropping his weapon in the name of making his new acquaintances feel comfortable, but if he could gain their trust without doing so...I do believe that having allies is important in this game, but I require allies who are...reliable, I suppose, is the word.

...And perhaps...ones that don't dislike me...would be welcome.


He felt a sudden wave of melancholy. He tried to suppress it, but it tinged his voice as he spoke.

"Ah...Carly, is it? I...apologize for my sudden intrusion. I am not looking to cause anyone harm. I am only looking for allies...if you wish for me to depart, simply say the word, and I shall. Again, I do not wish to be any trouble."
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"No, no, it's OK. I, uh, I don't mind if you stay."

Jasper-Declan felt an unreasonable wave of relief at this statement. He did want allies, yes, but he would be perfectly fine going back off on his own, he was quite sure- he'd been fine so far, and he had a gun to protect himself. Even so, he realized, he didn't want to be alone anymore. It is quite odd. I have spent the majority of my life alone, or at least close enough to alone as a human can be whilst surrounded by one's family in a city like Minneapolis...and yet, suddenly, my needs seem to have changed. I wonder what has brought this on? Perhaps...perhaps it is because my own death is swiftly approaching. Perhaps I simply...

He stopped there. I should not overthink this.

He looked around at his new...his mind paused on the word friends and replaced it with allies.

Carly. She does not appear to be armed...or particularly dangerous. She seems exceptionally frightened. Apparently she is quite trusting, given as she chose to trust me with absolutely no reason to do so beyond my own words...perhaps she wants protection. She does seem to be the type who would need it.

George. He and Carly are clearly connected in some way...Friends? Or perhaps they are dating. No matter. He seems strong enough...he also lacks a weapon, however. I do wonder why Danya chose to leave me with a weapon while he left so many others defenseless...


"Y-yeah, I don't mind you being here, either. Sorry, I...ahem, I haven't had too many good experiences with people on this island so far, so I was a little suspicious. But you seem okay."

Jasper-Declan started, having been distracted by his own thoughts, and then realized that George was talking to him. He gave a formal nod in his direction as recognition of his words. Perhaps...he chose to trust me because Carly did so? It is strange, how the opinions of people can be determined by the opinions of others...

Marion. Again, she seems to lack a weapon...though she does seem to be taking very careful notice of her surroundings. Taking notes of the contents of the announcement is a very logical choice of action...She seems intelligent.

We are not a particularly strong group. I am the only one among us with a weapon...though I suppose one of them could possess something that they are not currently holding. Perhaps it will fall to me to protect them.

Perhaps that is what this gun is for.


"Hey, guys where'd you come from?"

This time Jasper-Declan was reasonably ready to be spoken to, and his facial expression did not change as he looked at Marion.

"I'm assuming that since you entered the warehouse after me, you had to have been somewhere else on the island first. I was in the tunnels with Aston and Bennett. I never did figure out her first name. Although they both kind of disappeared on me while I was writing stuff down. There super creepy, so I climbed out and wandered for a bit before coming here."

The names meant nothing to him. He wondered for a moment if she had meant that the tunnels or the students she had mentioned were- in her words- super creepy, but he decided that that was irrelevant. Instead he went back in time for a moment- as much as he didn't particularly want to remember his time on the beach. Except for the beauty of the water, the sunlight playing off the waves...he shook his head slightly. That wasn't the information Marion was looking for.

"I awoke on the beach. I sat by the water with no aim in mind and was happened upon by two boys...Erik and Mike. We were joined by two other boys, one named Max and one whose name I do not believe I learned. Not one of them was armed. They began to make escape plans, and they became agitated when I reminded them that escape is an impossibility. I chose to leave...I do not wish to stay where I am not wanted."

"First off, I'm George Leidman. I had a talk with a few people before I got here. I think that most of the kids aren't playing. I didn't recognize a couple of them, but I know that the green-haired guy-Cisco, I think-isn't going to play the game. I think I might have identified a possible player though. Any of you guys know a guy by the name of Sebastian?"

Jasper-Declan shook his head. "No, I'm afraid I do not." Then, he frowned slightly. I ought to have this matter cleared up. "Do any of you have weapons, by any chance? I am aware that many people did not receive real weapons- the boys on the beach had received a variety of oddities- but it strikes me as quite odd that I am the only person of those that I have met to have any true means of defending themselves..."
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: It's far too close to 14 days for my liking. Sorry for the skip in post order! And sorry for the short post. Writer's block and such, I might fix it up a bit tomorrow.]]

Jasper-Declan listened patiently to the nervous girl, Carly, as she spoke, taking mental note of the things she said as Marion took the physical notes.

Jimmy Brennan...I believe I have heard that name before, but I cannot immediately place it. Many vulgar words seem to come to mind, though. I wonder why. And Marty Lovett...no, I do not believe I know him.

He frowned at her violent reaction to the Sebastian that George had mentioned previously. Another name I do not know. But if the name alone has elicited a visceral reaction from Carly...though she does seem to be the type to have a visceral reaction to nothing in particular. Perhaps this is simply an overreaction... His brow creased, just a tad. Yes, well, she did have an absolute conniption in response to the static from the speakers...for the moment I do not think this is something worth becoming concerned with. If we do come across this Sebastian in our travels...that will be a time for further inquiry. For now...

"Weapons? All I got was a vase or something, I didn't get an actual weapon, I don't know why, I don't know anything about this stupid thing."

His brow creased further.

I truly have been entrusted with something special. I shall always wonder why it was myself and not this girl, or any of the other unlucky individuals I have met in my past travels, to receive this gift. It is quite unfortunate that I will never have the opportunity to be given an answer...What answer is there to give? I am not privy to the weapon selection process the...organization who runs this game goes through. Perhaps it is all chosen at random.

Is there such thing as random? Can anything human ever truly be considered random?

Perhaps there was a method to the madness, as it were.


"Um, this is embarrassing. But did any of you see if there was like.... a washroom around here?"

Jasper-Declan blinked, his eyes opening in surprise. Surprise was a very funny look on the normally expressionless boy.

"Er...no, I cannot say that I have."

And then, shouting.

His exceptional hearing picked out most of the words shouted outside the warehouse. Not that hearing those words told him much- it was mostly just the name "Sarah", repeated by two different voices, one male and one female, along with various phrases of the 'stop' and 'where are you' and 'come back' variety. This meant nothing to Jasper-Declan, who was not close to anyone named Sarah.

“Wonder what that’s all about."

He did not respond. What was there to say?
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[OOC: Apologies for the delays and for the crappy post. Writers block. ><]]

Jasper-Declan was not an argumentative person. Though no one would argue that the things he did say were dishonest, he generally saw no reason to speak his mind when doing so would likely provoke people. And so he saw no reason to argue with his newfound allies as they exited the warehouse.

Mentally, though...

It is strange, how people will go out of their way to pursue a chaotic situation. Even when the most likely outcome is an increased danger to themselves. I wonder what drives them to choose this path...? Why do humans have such a terrible sense of self-preservation? Is it not most logical to remain inside, where there is no danger yet present? What is likely to await us outside? This is Survival of the Fittest, after all. Horrible things are lurking everywhere...

At any rate, I should accompany them. If there is danger outside, they shall need my protection.


So he quietly followed the others outside, remembering again that exactly what the weight in his hand represented.

He did not look at the people. At least, not right away. First he found himself again taking in his surroundings, and especially taking in the air as it cooled.

Like the fresh breezes of autumn...indeed, this may be my last cool breeze. Everything that occurs here may well be my last.

He shrugged that off and turned his attention to the new people. Two girls. A boy. The boy was injured, bleeding from the leg. One of the girls seemed to be attempting some sort of first aid. He was unsure. He was also not particularly interested. Mainly, he was here to make sure the newcomers were not violent, and they didn't seem to be. In that respect he was lucky. They were all lucky.

And then, announcements.

Announcements?

He listened, again, without much interest. Only one name would have struck him had he heard it, and he did not. The name Hayley sounded mildly familiar- she is an acquaintance of Alex, is she not?- but his mind passed that over, her name blending with those of the other killers. He noted the names, but he knew, looking out at the three newcomers, that any one of them could have been included on the list and he wouldn't have known. He didn't know their names.

However, Jasper-Declan being Jasper-Declan, he was unafraid as he took a few steps closer.

"Is there any way I could be of assistance?"

It seemed like the right thing to say.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jasper-Declan frowned an almost imperceptible frown.

He was being ignored.

Not that he wasn't used to that- Jasper-Declan had spent essentially his entire life (outside of his home) either ignored, mocked or resented, and as he was basically a harmless oddball the first was by far the most common. But even after the short time he'd spent with George and Marion and Carly, he'd grown a bit...Spoiled, is that the word? Perhaps spoiled. Spoiled enough to believe I do not deserve contempt or to be ignored. Perhaps to others that is normal but to me...spoiled.

This was a selfish action, was it not? To come here and attempt to help people I do not know? At possible expense to myself...they could have been armed. Could have harmed me.


His frown grew slightly deeper. 'Could have harmed me' wasn't even a sentence. He obviously wasn't thinking clearly.

And yet, I am given no attention. Is it not prudent to accept assistance when it is offered? Especially when it is clear that assistance is needed. And yet...Perhaps it is simply because it is me.

He grew sad for a moment.

Then paused.

Then shook it off. His face returned to it's usual, blank expression. Neutrality at all times.

It does not matter. Others have always ignored me...George and Marion and Carly are exceptions, like Alex and Jay, not a replacement rule. The island is no different than Bayview...except, perhaps, with a bit more blood.

"I think they've got things under control. We should probably just let them be. You coming, Carly?"

Jasper-Declan blinked, having not realized that George had approached him. Carly was nearby- for a moment, Jasper-Declan thought that the invitation did not extend to him- that he was on his own again. The melancholy that this thought brought him did not have time to sink in before he realized that George, who had began to walk, was motioning towards him, too. He realized at this point that Marion was gone.

Perhaps she had her own plans...ah, well, such is life. At least I am still in good company.

"In good company?" That wasn't the kind of phrase he'd ever heard himself use. This island is doing odd things to my brain.

He followed, silently, lost in his mind.

[[Jasper-Declan continued in Late Dawns and Early Sunsets]]
Edited by Hollyquin, Nov 6 2010, 12:05 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · The Warehouse · Next Topic »
Add Reply