Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
When the Bite Just Isn't Sharp Enough
Topic Started: Aug 28 2010, 02:54 PM (3,556 Views)
Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
[Girl #101 - Sofia Martelli. Start.]

Merry go round and around and around

Her head was spinning, still reeling from the shock of what had just happened just a short while earlier. She saw everything that happened, screamed when her teachers were cut down before her in a hail of lead rain, cried her eyes out and couldn't believe any of it was really happening. She remembered one thing very vividly, the strongest memory she had of the final moments before everything slipped from sight and sound, sliding into darkness as she was no doubt drugged once again; She had prayed. With all her might and with the last conscious breath in her body, she prayed loud and long, calling out to the god that her parents insisted on worshiping. She hadn't prayed like that in years, not since her great-grandmother died in the nursing home or her great-uncle succumbed to cancer; She wasn't religious, she didn't pray day in and day out for good things to happen or fortune to befall her.

It was such a silly thing before...

But despite all her beliefs, her skepticism and cynicism, all those remarks she had made when discussing the subject with her sisters; Despite all of that, she had broken down and prayed to something she so vehemently denied believing in. It was such a silly, small little thing before, nothing that really came to mind nor bothered her; It was just one of those things everyone goes through, deciding what your faith would be, if any. But now, after everything that had happened, after being taken from all that was familiar and safe and secure and just plain happy, after being put into this game with nothing to look forward to besides pain and death and sorrow and the metallic taste of blood. And to make it worse, they expected her to participate, to fight for her survival with the weapon they had provided her, to bring down her own special brand of lead death upon her classmates; She had one answer to that.

"Fuck you."

She spat the words at the nearest camera, pointing the thick hollow tube of lead at the mechanical device. But those were far from the last words she would speak to the cameras, far from the last she had to say about the people behind this and what they expected of her. Daddy's little girl was pissed, that much was certain; The sorrow and sadness of what they had been forced into, the feelings of dread and fear, the sickness in her gut, and most of all, the infuriating point of feeling sorry for herself, it had all passed. All that was left in its wake was anger, rage, and a furious little girl with a thick metal rod and something to say.

"Fuck you, Danya. I swear, right here, right now, that if I make it out of this, I'm going to personally drive my caddy as far up your ass I can get it. And then? I'm going to make you eat this gift you gave me. Got it? Good."

Oh, she was far from finished, but everything she had left to say could just as easily be said while she was walking. With an eye locked on that camera, she grabbed her bags, slung them unto her back and decided upon a direction to start walking, with a little help from the compass that she quickly returned to the bag. Before she set off, she searched her path, looking for another camera; If they wanted a show, she'd give them one, spotting her goal and setting out on her chosen route. She had a sudden desire to break down again, just as she had in the auditorium, to close her eyes and pray as hard as she could; But why should she do that if she didn't believe her own words with a clear mind. What good would it do now anyways, when there was nothing she could do to stay the hand of god if he wished to strike her down like this. Why should she fall to her knees and pray, and wait for something to happen to save her from this fate?

Why should I wait for nothing to wait for?

"Y'know, I've been thinking, sitting there for as long as I had been. And I've come to a realization that no one is going to save me, not my family, or my friends, or even the lord almighty. I choose the way to go, but the road won't set me free; No, if I want to get out of this, I have to make the way myself, don't I?"

If I get out of this.

The words played through her mind again, the words she chose as the first ones to utter in her tenure on this god forsaken island. It may have been a mistake, choosing those words, now that she thought back; It conjured up thoughts of failure, of not being able to achieve what she sets out to do, of not surviving this challenge set before her. She didn't want to think about it, and didn't want those thoughts to be any where near the forefront of her mind, pushing them aside and forcing them back. She didn't want anything else to come back to her, not sorrow or fear or panic; She wanted to keep this anger, this fueling rage, for as long as she could. She knew it would be the only thing that would help her stay alive, that if she gave in again, if she let go and cried until her eyes were bloodshot and sore, it would all be over; If she didn't stay strong enough to cut her own path, someone else would, and theirs may end up going right through her.

As she walked, without even realizing it, she had moved her hand up to her hair and begun to caress the pin that held her hair in the state it was; The feel of the old chrome, the twisted and bent pieces of metal long since set in their form and function, it was comforting to escape with it, to think of where it came from. She'd give everything she had to be back home now, to sit in the seat of her car once again and just relax into a new leather seat. She closed her eyes, clutching the ornament in her hand as she breathed deeply, reliving the moments long passed; The feel of the wheel in her hands, the caress of the seat behind her, the deep satisfaction as she turned the key and listened to the engine roar to life. Opening her eyes and letting her hand fall back to her side, she stopped; Looking at the camera, the serious, stern look upon her face melted away, leaving a smile that lasted little more than a moment in its wake.

"Are you watching, Dad? Keep it safe for me. I'll come back. I promise."

And as fast as it came, the smile was gone from her face as if it had never been there, a biting glare and a thin lipped snarl replacing it.

"And Danya..."

She wanted to spit out another comment, to throw another venomous dose towards the ever present eye of the man in charge, but no words came to mind, nothing filled her throat, and try as she might, she couldn't force it. So she turned away from the camera, silently flipping it off, and continued down her chosen road; She didn't know where she would end up, or what would happen when she got there, but it was her path by choice, and she wouldn't let anyone keep her from it. Not Danya, not his people, not the trees or the cameras upon them nor the people that the nearing voices belonged to. She heard them, barely making them out enough to tell who they belonged to. But they were in the way of her path; She would need to make a choice soon, as the silhouettes came ever closer, as her legged carried her ever further into the darkness.

"Fuck fear."

"Fuck worry."

"Fuck panic."

"Fuck prayer."

"And most of all, Fuck Danya!"
Edited by Dr. Nic, Sep 2 2010, 03:13 AM.
Boy #??? - Joshua Edwards
Hanging out somewhere, playing his heart out.
Writer and local retail slave at the comic book store.

Girl #??? - Viktoriya "Vika" Starikova
Floating in the void, unfinished and half-formed.
Hot headed member of the soft ball team, secretly wishing she could fly.

Those who were
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
♪ The enemy's approaching from surrounding sides. ♫

Sofia had gotten lost in her own world of seething anger and hatred for everything that lead to her current situation, cursing and spitting and lashing out at every thought that came to mind with the rage that filled her veins and bled into her mind; She paid very little to where she was going by this point, or how far she had gotten from where she started, but she snapped out of it as another voice slipped into her mind. Someone was there, someone was nearby, closer than she had been comfortable with and a lot closer than the silhouettes she'd spotted earlier; With a tightening grip upon the metal pipe in her hands, she snapped to attention, swinging around to face the source of the last thing she wanted to hear.

♪ Awaiting the first strike...

All her anger, all her rage and seething hatred, all the things she didn't want to think about and all the things she didn't want to worry about, all came rushing to the forefront of her mind; Her heart climbed into her throat, the increasing speed of the once steady thrumming becoming the loudest thing she could hear, a quickening sound of thunder in her head, cutting through the noise of the forest and the once deafening silence she'd awoken to. Panic seeped into her thoughts, tightened her grip upon the weapon in her hands, weakened the resolve of her legs to hold her up under the sudden pressure and weight of the situation as it bore down upon her; With all her might, she wished to scream, to use all the strength she could muster and all the air in her lungs to convey the sudden wave of fear that had struck her.

But nothing came out.

...As catapults are drawn. ♫

It took all she had just to hold the weapon in front of her, to hold that white knuckle grip upon the heavy piece of lead; She knew exactly what would happen if she let go of it, if she ever left herself without a weapon, without a means to protect herself. Despite this, she couldn't summon the strength to do anything but stand there, fear holding her legs in place and a wavering will the only thing keeping her standing; In that moment, she wanted nothing more than for someone to reveal themselves, for a guardian angel to come forth, for all of this to suddenly disappear and for everything to be alright again. But that wasn't going to happen, nobody was going to suddenly appear to save her, not her parents or her siblings, not her friends and not even... not even Tony. She didn't know why everything started to blur at first, or why her eyes stung and her cheeks were wet, but it didn't take long for her to realize that she had started to cry again.

Why now?

This was the last thing she wanted now, the last thing she needed to worry about and definitely the last thing she wanted to think about. But as she finally regained control of her legs, enough to take those first slow steps backwards, everything started to slip from the deeper places she had stashed them; All her worries of not going home, of not seeing her family again, of not being able to see Tony again. Especially after what had happened at prom, after everything she was wrestling with, after conflicting feelings and memories and what she wanted and what he wanted; But if she wanted to make it back, to see Tony again, to have the time to figure out what she wanted, she would have to fight for it and make her own path.

♪ I hold the key to what lies beyond. ♫

The path was set before her, just as it always had been, and the only thing that could change it, the only thing that could determine which way she went, was her choices; With her heart in her throat and a death grip upon her assigned weapon, she had to make a choice now, she had to choose how to deal with the situation in front of her and worry about the rest later. She was the only one who could decide what would happen, and was the only one who was capable of forging that path; If she wanted to make it out, to see Tony, to feel his arms wrap around her and to feel safer than she ever did since waking up in this hell, she would have to make the right choices. This 'game' and these choices had a price.

♪ A price paid in blood. ♫

Slowly, her grip upon the pipe loosened, her arms lowering the weapon from its previous position; Her muscles had strained to keep it steady, and now they strained to obey her commands, to loosen and relax. She struggled to regain her composure, to keep breathing normally, to force her heart out of her throat so she could speak and respond; She didn't know how much time had passed, how long she had stared at the boy with tear soaked eyes and weapon bared, but she knew that she had to make a choice. She could fight, pay the price of this 'game' and that choice with the blood of others, or she could avoid that; She could talk, try to avoid the worst until she had no choice, and hope that she wouldn't regret that decision.

"I... sorry. You kind of surprised me."

An apology for the bared weapon, as she took a hand from the lead pipe she'd been assigned and wiped the tears from her eyes, hoping he hadn't seen, that no one would have to see that; She'd made her decision early not to cry, not to break down and give in to everything that was weighing upon her, and she had to stick to that decision. With cleared vision and her choice made, she stepped forward, regaining the space she'd ceded in her panic just moments earlier; It was dark, but not too dark that she couldn't make out the person before her, though it took a little longer than she had hoped. She couldn't help but smile, almost laugh, when she remembered the name that matched the face and the first thing that came to mind when she heard that name.

"Raynor, right? Like the guy from that computer game?"

She didn't know why that was the first thing that came to mind or why she had blurted it out, but it was too late to try and prevent the slip of her tongue; She just hoped that anything she said, everything she said, didn't come 'round to bite her in the ass later on. But she kept the smile on her face, trying to seem as friendly as she could with tear stained eyes and a pipe in her hand, on a island that might as well be part of hell, a missing level from Dante's tale. She hoped she wouldn't regret her choices, her decision so far to lower her guard, to try and diffuse what was already a terrible situation for everyone involved. But she had made her choice, and every choice had a price of blood in this place.

♪ Just pray that blood is not yours. ♫

"Are you the only one out here? I thought... Nevermind."

I could have sworn there were two people here...

Those who were

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
With a soft smile and her mind at ease, at least more so than it had been, Sofia relaxed and let the tension in her muscles drain away; She couldn't shake the feeling of uneasiness, of the idea that she should never drop her guard completely, but for now, with the thought that he wasn't going to suddenly attack her, she relaxed. She even laughed, however slightly, at his response to her comment, enjoying that moment of peace and enjoying that it made her feel as if everything was going to be alright, that nothing had really changed; As if they had never really left school, with the pop culture humor and the awkward moments, with the bad jokes and teenagers just being teenagers. It was nice, no matter how long or short it lasted.

They spoke for a moment, trading brief suspicions of who could be around, if there indeed was someone else around; She knew she saw silhouettes when she was still a fair distance away, but now she was starting to doubt her once adamant assumptions. They could have been trees or bushes or even the shadows playing tricks on her mind, on her eyes; After all, she hadn't seen or heard anyone run away, hadn't noticed any quickly darting silhouettes behind the trees and near the bushes she could make out. It really could have just been the shadows playing a trick, with the light from above peeking through the canopy of branches and leaves.

"So, do you know wh-"

In the middle of her sentence, in the middle of asking Micheal a question, there was movement a short distance away; A voice and someone standing up suddenly, something Sofia hadn't expected. She had been right before, she shouldn't have assumed she was wrong when she hadn't seen anybody when she got closer, but now it was too late and she was... she was... falling. Tripping, to be precise, in her frantic attempt to back away from and turn towards the suddenly appearing girl; She'd had time enough to point the lead pipe out at the girl before she hit the detritus covered ground.

"Holy crap!"

Not the best way to approach a new presence, falling on her butt and shouting as she did, but there was little she could do about that now; She had to act fast, she had to recover from her short drop and sudden stop. Scrambling to her feet, she backed up, holding the weapon out in front of her with both her hands, her white knuckle grip returning as she stared at the girl, listened as she spoke; Her name was Jackie, not that introductions were completely necessary. She wanted them to be friendly, which was understandable... and then she made a threat, making herself appear non-so-friendly; While at first fearful, Sofia was just slightly confused now, especially since the girl didn't appear to have any weapon to speak of and she was threatening Sofia, an admittedly tomboyish girl with a lead pipe.

And then, the second voice chimed in with a threat of... a rock.

"....You're kidding, right?"

She was supposed to the scared of that? Of a girl with nothing, of another with a rock, hiding behind an old log; Sofia realized then that she was probably going to be much more intimidating than either of them, that the boy nearby was probably more intimidating than both of the girls. She didn't need to be scared, didn't need to be fearful of everyone she met; She wasn't the only one who was afraid, who was fearing for her life. Everyone was. No one really wanted to hurt their friends, they were all just scared and alone and just like her.

"Come out from there. We're not going to hurt you. And I doubt you'll hurt us."

Sofia let her arms drop back to her sides as she shook off her doubt and made her decision.

She smiled.

"It's okay. Everything will be alright."

Those who were

Dr. Nic
Member Avatar
How cute.
[ *  * ]
She had been smiling, she had been nice, she'd tried to appear as non-threatening as possible while Micheal spoke; Of course, as she listened to Micheal speak, it probably would have been better to shut him up as fast as possible. Maybe stomp on his foot or put a hand over his mouth, or even just interrupt him before he ended up swallowing his foot; But she hadn't done anything to stop him, hadn't done anything to interrupt his well meaning if awkward little speech. There wouldn't be much point to it, she thought, since is was quite obvious he was just putting hit foot in his mouth; He couldn't come off as threatening the moment he opened his mouth, even to these girls... right?

And then he finished.

Perhaps she should have stopped him from talking, kept him from continuing his awkward fumbling, kept him from ever mentioning the thought of killing them or saying the absolute dumbest things; Instead of appearing non-threatening and kind, appearing normal and offering no signs of participating in this 'game', they came off as more than a little disturbed and apparently looked like potential threats. Sofia couldn't help but turn to Micheal with a questioning look, tempted to do something to smack a little sense into the boy beside her, but before she could do anything Jackie shouted and screamed with all her might; Something that surprised Sofia more than their sudden appearance, sending a chill down her spine as soon as it happened.

It all went wrong.

It all fell down around them.

"We weren't--"

She was set back by another shout from Jackie, another shrill scream coming from the small girl in front of her, only snapping back when she saw Jackie grab her things and begin running as fast as she could in the other direction; She wanted to stop her, to call out to her, to apologize and prove she wasn't going to do anything, but all she could do was stand and watch as the other girl stood up and followed after Jackie. The parting gift of a rude gesture only made things worse as Sofia stood in disbelief, cursing herself and her futile efforts, beating herself up for just standing there and doing nothing; Should couldn't help but doubt her decision to relax and let her guard down, looking to Micheal and doubting her decision to stay there, to stay near him. She should have just run when she had the chance, done what Jackie and Allie had done and put as much distance as she could between herself and the source of potential danger.

"Damn it..."

She lowered herself back down to the ground, sitting down and running her hand over the length of the lead pipe that she held; As long as she had this, she could defend herself, but she would always appear as a threat to people who weren't as well armed or people who were filled with even more fear than she was. She tried being angry and keeping all that rage she had earlier, but failed. She tried being kind, smiling and extending a hand when she could, but that failed. She was starting to doubt if she could do anything right, but she pushed aside her doubts and brought a hand up to the hairpin holding back her hair; She had promised to get back home, so that's what she had to do. She wanted to find Tony and that is what she was going to do.

She still had a road to follow.

"I'm going to try and find Tony..."

She looked up at Micheal with glassy, tear filled eyes and a weak smile; Despite this, however, her voice wasn't weak or soft. She knew what she had to do and had long since made her decision to follow the path she'd chosen; This had been an obstacle, but she had to push beyond it. She had to. She wasn't going to let anything get in her way, she wasn't going to let anyone keep her from her goals. She had to get home, to see Tony again, to have the time to figure out what it was she really wanted, to life her life as she wanted to. She might need help, she might run into problems, but she would push past all of them as long as she could; She had to keep her promise.

"You going to go after them, see if they might need help?"

She stood up.

"You could always come with me, so long as you don't put your foot in your mouth again."

She touched the hairpin once again.

"But I've got a promise to keep."

Turning, she started to walk away.

Her path was chosen.

Nothing would stand in her way.

"Oh yeah... fuck Danya."

[Girl #101 - Sofia Martelli. Continued in Cleanliness and Loneliness.]
Edited by Dr. Nic, Oct 19 2010, 12:08 AM.

Those who were

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply