Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No News is Good News; G097
Topic Started: Aug 28 2010, 02:31 PM (3,905 Views)
JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
((Miranda Merchant continued from Extinguishing the Light of the Future))
((OoC: This post has been edited to retain continuity))

Miranda was pissed.

It had been a very long time since separating from Garry and the others, in fact night had long since fallen and dawn had once again broke during her travels, but she was no less bitter about the way they'd split up. It had been a stupid plan, in her opinion, and what had annoyed her the most was that the others couldn't see it but her. Garry and Saul were more than content to trail along after Cyrille, and would inevitably end up as fodder when the French girl did something reckless again.

And when the first announcement was broadcast over the island some hours back, Miranda couldn't help but feel a little bit vindicated when Cyrille's name was read out, although she was still terribly saddened that she and all the others had died and all. Garry and Saul's names were not given out, so she assumed they'd managed to get away from Reiko ('never thought she'd be the killing type,' Miranda had thought), the apparent little psycho who'd somehow killed two people in one go.

'Yeah, I made the right decision to leave them behind... I'm sure I did... didn't I?'

Despite feeling extra confident in her decision, the element of doubt still plagued Miranda as she walked through the tree stumps and passed the occasional stack of logs. By splitting off and going her own way, Miranda had possibly put herself in as much, maybe even more danger than Cyrille had done. She was all by herself now, and she had nobody else to rely on or protect her. 'Garry had that massive sword... thingy. What do I have? A length of wire and a rotting branch.'

She held the stick up in front of her. As if solely to taunt her, the branch suddenly broke in two where a particularly mouldy piece of bark finally gave way under gravity. 'Oh, come on, that's just perfect,' Miranda bitterly thought, throwing the remains of the branch onto the grass around her and continuing to walk to destinations unknown.

Miranda's aimless wandering was brought to an abrupt end when she saw a girl sitting against a tree stump in the near distance, holding a compass in her hand with her bag slung over her shoulder.

'Oh no, it's Lily,' Miranda thought, instantly recognising the brunette ahead of her. She'd seen her several times before in and around school, believing her to be always sticking her nose in where it didn't belong, just to get a story for the school newspaper. All-in-all, Miranda thought she was just a big nuisance. 'No way am I hanging around with her. Let's just turn around and pretend I didn't see her-'

"ACK!"

Things didn't go quite to plan. Miranda had gone to turn around and walk away from the amateur journalist, but as she turned, her foot painfully collided against a tree stump next to her. "Oww!" she cried out, tripping right over the stump and collapsing onto her front, scrapping her shins against the stump as she fell.

'Way to look where you're going, idiot,' Miranda mentally cursed, hissing as the front of her legs throbbed in pain.
Edited by JamesRenard, Sep 21 2010, 03:52 AM.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)
Thread chain: O | O=O=O | O=O=

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
Thread chain: O | O=O
The Future: Character Concept(s) (Subject to change, info may be added or deleted)

The Past: V4 Characters

Stuff from Chat

Cards Remaining (V5) - HERO: 1 /// SWAP: 0
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
Miranda spat out some dirt and grass that had somehow made their way into her mouth as she fell. She rolled onto her front and sat up, inspecting the damage done to her shins. They weren't bleeding, luckily, but some of the top layer of skin had been peeled off by scraping against the wood and bark. And it still stung like hell.

And then, if to make things worse, she heard Lily call out to her. 'Aw hell, she saw me, she thought, looking round to face the journalist as she asked if she was alright. 'No, I'm not alright. I've tripped over a stump, hurt my legs and now you've probably come to gawk at me and turn it into a news story just to humiliate me,' Miranda harshly thought, though she wouldn't say that out loud. No telling how Lily would react to hearing that.

Miranda just watched as Lily knelt down in front of her, and then she started to pick off the loose bits of skin that were peeling off her legs. Then came the second, more important question.

'What? No, I'm not playing the game,' Miranda thought, having to hold back from rolling her eyes. 'Wait a minute... you don't know that...' Miranda inwardly grinned as the cogs in her brain turned and came up with a plan. Lily didn't know that if she was playing or not, she didn't have to know either. And if Miranda could convince her that she was playing, maybe she would leave her alone.

"Yes, yes I am playing," Miranda eventually replied, putting on a smirk at the girl kneeling ahead of her. 'Now to see if she freaks the fuck out, runs away and leaves me in peace.' Miranda had however overlooked one detail when formulating her plan; she didn't take into account what Lily's weapon was and if she would use it to defend herself from the 'player'.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
The Future: Character Concept(s) (Subject to change, info may be added or deleted)

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
Miranda's smile grew ever so slightly when Lily stepped backwards. 'That's it, go away... keep going... no, keep going! Damn it, girl, why have you stopped?!' Already, Miranda was getting frustrated with the girl's apparent stubborness. 'I just said I'm playing, why haven't you run in fear of your life yet?!' If Miranda's legs weren't hurting so much, she'd just get up and run away as quick as possible, leaving Lily in the dust.

And then Lily threw that fastball at Miranda by asking her how many people she'd killed. 'Oh crap, how the hell do I answer that?' she quickly thought. If she said none, then she wouldn't sound like much of a threat. If she said an absurd number of kills, while she sounded much more dangerous, there was a chance that Lily wouldn't believe her. Each second that passed as she tried to think of an answer was adding up and going to make it more obvious that she was bullshitting. 'Crap, crap... what to do, what to do, gotta decide quick-oh fuck.'

Miranda had been watching Lily carefully while determining her next course of action, seeing if she was going to resume the retreat. Instead, she'd got her bag and reached inside it. 'The weapons! I forgot about her weapon and what she might have!' Miranda's frustration all but evaporated, ice-cold terror taking its place as she began to worry that Lily's weapon was a gun, and that she was going to be on the receiving end of it. And then Miranda's plan would (quite literally) backfire with deadly consequences. She could feel the sweat starting to pour out of her skin, but she was determined not to let Lily show how scared she really was.

She remembered that she hadn't answered her question yet, but the turn of events had only complicated matters. 'Tell her I've killed someone and risk being blown away. Tell her I haven't and she'll probably stick around.' As much as she didn't want Lily around, she didn't want to be killed by her either, and that finally helped her to make her mind up.

"I-I haven't killed anyone..." she miserably spoke.
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
'Stupid, stupid, you're smarter than that,' Miranda mentally kicked herself as she saw Lily remove her hand from her bag. 'You got lucky that time. If she was serious you'd be lying dead on the ground right about now.'

Miranda kept her eyes locked on Lily's daypack as she asked her a further question that knocked her for a loop. Why she'd lied to her. Okay, it wasn't like she didn't have an answer, but it was an answer that Lily wouldn't like to hear. And if she got mad, there was every likelihood of her grabbing her (as of yet unidentified) weapon again and slaughtering Miranda with it. 'Gotta be careful here,' she thought, thinking of an acceptable answer to give. 'Got it. Here goes,'

"It's because I didn't want to sound like a weakling," she spoke. It wasn't exactly the truth per se, but it wasn't a full blown lie either; she hated appearing weak and helpless in front of others. "I didn't know if you had a powerful weapon or not, but I thought I could bluff my way to stop you from attacking me. Yeah, I know now that it could have backfired and got me killed anyway."

Miranda looked down at her legs and rubbed her hand over the shins, removing any remaining shreds of peeled-off skin. They still hurt a little, but nowhere near as much as when she'd first tripped over. 'Good, maybe I can start heading away from here soon,' she thought.

Unfortunately, the arrival of a third girl wrecked that idea for the moment. Miranda looked round to face the newcomer, a look of annoyance on her face as she was faced with the prospect of more company. That expression changed to horror when she actually saw the girl who was approaching them for the first time. It was Sarah Atwell, the girl who went around school with that camera of hers. And her clothes were splattered with dried blood.

"Oh my God!!"

Miranda shrieked and instantly leapt to her feet, ignoring the pain coming from her legs (and trying to ignore the sudden pain that came from her ear), and stared at the girl. 'Holy shit, holy shit, it's Sarah and she's covered in blood. Did she kill someone, is she injured? No, she doesn't seem injured-holy shit, Eve is dead?!'

While she didn't know Eve personally or talked to her all that often, she had heard about her pregnancy and childbirth. So to hear that she was dead, and that her baby was now going to grow up without a mother, that shocked her to the core. 'Look at the blood on her, whoever killed Eve must've, oh God, I don't want to think about what happened to her.'

"W-who did it?" Miranda asked, glancing up and down her clothes that were stained with red-brown marks. "Did you see w-who k-killed her? I want to know who did it so I can avoid them." Miranda suddenly felt lightheaded and her legs began to shake, prompting her to sit on top of the tree stump that she'd tripped over previously.
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
"Well... t-that's not going to work then," Miranda spoke, continuing to sit on the tree stump as the dizziness started to fade away. "I... I suppose we'll have to wait for the next announcement to find out who-who killed her." Miranda didn't have the foggiest how long that was going to take. Looking up to the clear blue sky and seeing the sun hanging high up, she hazarded a guess that it was currently late-morning or early-afternoon. 'So that makes it arooouuund... 18 hours until the next one, give or take a few,' she calculated. 'Damn, that long? Whoever killed Eve could go on to kill even more people in that space of time! They could even find us! What if they were nearby when they murdered her?!'

The thoughts started to send shivers down the swimmer's spine, and knowing that a murderer could be lurking in the vicinity, possibly standing just yards behind her and Lily and waiting for an opportunity to strike, to say that it scared Miranda was a massive understatement. "S-Sarah, where... where did you find Eve?" Miranda asked, praying it was nowhere nearby. She knew she was in the northern part of the island, possibly close to the coast, so somewhere in the south would alleviate her fears. If only slightly.

"Look, we're not going to harm you, okay?" Miranda spoke and looked round to Lily, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible and trying to reassure the girl, though it was a damn lot harder knowing that a killer could very well be in the area. If that was indeed the case, she was going to get the hell away from there as fast as her legs would allow it, which was probably quite quickly. 'No way am I hanging around here if there's a killer close by,' she thought.

Completely unbeknownst to Miranda, the killer in question was slumped down right in front of her.
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
"Good point," Miranda spoke. Nineteen deaths had occured and some seriously unhinged people were seemingly running about all over the island. Reiko particularly stood out, seeing how she had been the one to kill Cyrille, possibly only hours after she had abandoned her at the tunnels. And where was Reiko, or Kris, or Alex? Miranda had no idea at all, they could be absolutely anywhere. 'Even right behind you,' her mind told her.

Miranda whipped round in a panic and glanced behind her, seeing nothing but tree stumps, felled logs and the silhouetted form of the mountain in the distance behind her. 'Brilliant, I just made myself look like a paranoid mess. And just how long have we been here anyway?'

"Uh... I first woke up over a day ago, there's already been an announcement as well. You're either a heavy sleeper or they pumped a lot of sleeping gas into you," Miranda said, peeking back over her shoulder just to be sure she hadn't missed anyone hiding. "Uh, well... n-nineteen of our class h-have been...k... k..." She trailed off, unable to bring herself to say the k-word. "And all I can remember is that R-Reiko, Kris Hartmann, Alex Rasputin and Clio have... done it twice."

Miranda would have written the names down as they were read out, but she didn't have a pen on her at the time and so had to rely on her memory, which really wasn't at its best that early in the morning. As a result, she'd forgotten a handful of the names, and recalling the announcement, knowing full well that the names rattled off belonged to killers or people who'd now passed into the great beyond, was tearing her up.

Sarah suggested that it might have been a huge guy that killed Eve. The first person who sprang to Miranda's mind was her previous companion, Garry, and with his large bladed weapon and the amount of bloodshed it could potentially cause (or already caused, if her allegations were true), it made sense, except for the fact that Garry didn't sound like a murderer at the least.

'That doesn't mean anything. I knew Janet was a bitch, but I wouldn't have thought of her as a murderer, and look what she did,' she thought, wiping some tears from her eyes. 'And Garry seemed pretty pissed when I ran off, did he take it out on Eve then? I hope not...'

Sarah then offered her suggestion, one that Miranda immediately disagreed with. Why was Sarah suggesting that only one of them split off from the group? If that one person went off to look around, there was every chance that a killer lurking nearby could easily pick them off. 'Sarah doesn't know what our weapons are, right?' Miranda surmised. 'So what good is sending someone like me with a piece of wire? I could have a bundle of cotton wool for all she knows, like THAT would be helpful against a gun. Speaking of...'

"I don't know what to do right now. By the way, Sarah, what's your weapon?" Miranda curiously asked. "I don't think you told us."
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
Miranda wholeheartedly agreed with what Lily said. Splitting up was a big no-no and was just asking for someone to get themselves killed, and Miranda was slightly relieved to hear that Sarah had also agreed with her, although their opinions would have outweighed Sarah's by two to one.

She carefully looked at Sarah's hand, watching it delve into the pocket and pull out a tiny object that turned out to be a small key. 'Good lord. That weapon's even crappier than mine!' Miranda thought, staring at the key. 'Now I really do hope Lily did have a gun, just so we're not completely screwed over.'

Sarah commented that she wasn't sure that it was her actual weapon, but Miranda wouldn't have put it past Danya, or whoever was in charge of distributing the weapons; Saul got a freaking Magic 8-Ball as his 'weapon' after all. What was the point of that? How did that give him a hope in hell of surviving, how did it give her one, or Sarah? Long answer short, it didn't. It just basically sentenced them to an early grave at the hands of the better equipped students out there, an early grave that Sarah had apparently narrowly escaped from.

"I don't know exactly what we should do now, but I think we should stick together for the moment at least," Miranda answered.

Right there and then, Miranda had just sentenced herself to sticking around Lily for so much longer. Even though she couldn't stand the girl for prying into other people's businesses, Lily had a better weapon than both her and Sarah combined. So leaving her behind was just asking for someone to come along and eliminate her.

"Although... we should probably think about moving somewhere else, we're like sitting ducks in this part of the island," she added on, looking around at the area. It was largely flat with only a few stacks of logs to hide behind. All the trees that could have supplied them with plenty of cover had been chopped down long ago.

However, something that Sarah had said earlier stuck in Miranda's mind.

"Hang on, Sarah, there's something I don't get. You say you don't want to run into someone who's killing people, but by asking us to split up and search around, you were pretty much telling us to do just that," she spoke, challenging her earlier statement.
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

JamesRenard
Member Avatar
Furry on Ice
[ *  *  * ]
"Where are we going? I don't know, anywhere where there's some sort of cover. But not the tunnels, too risky going in there," she replied, reaching her hand inside her bag, her fingers brushing past the garrotte wire until they came into contact with the piece of paper.

'Why do I feel like I've said that before?' Miranda wondered as she brought the map out and started looking at the island layout on it. Then she remembered that she had said it before, while discussing plans with Garry, Saul and the now-late Cyrille.

"The hut, greens and lighthouse are danger zones, so they're no good," Miranda stated. Her eyes wandered over the ranger station, her original destination with the other group before everything went pear-shaped. It had seemed like a good place to hide out at the time, and it did now, especially with the wooded area to the west offering even more cover. Lily did mention about finding a place with trees, so it was good news all round. "Yeah, I think we should head this direction, towards the forest," she spoke, getting to her feet and showing the map to the others, pointing to the location with a pink nail polished finger.

"I'll lead the way," she said, not even waiting for the other two to reply. She gathered up her belongings and started to walk in the direction of the forest and the station, taking her compass out the bag and glancing at it.

((Miranda Merchant continued in Hearing is Believing))
Edited by JamesRenard, Oct 12 2010, 03:21 AM.
V5 Characters

Stuff from Chat

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply