Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What She Came For
Topic Started: Aug 26 2010, 01:21 AM (1,580 Views)
I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jamie Li continued from the Final Countdown))

Well, this was different.

It had been one thing to wander about some dark tunnels for a few hours and lose all sense of bearing or direction, but it was another to exit those tunnels in a completely different locale than you'd been at before. When she'd entered the dank underbelly of the island at the beginning of her stay, Jamie had noticed the mountain being a lot closer than it currently lay - in fact, she found it difficult to believe that she'd actually come THAT far across the island in the time that she had. Nonetheless, when she'd thrown open the door and seen a large house with a brilliantly green tennis court in front of it, a part of her felt the need to wander over to the courts and explore.

Who cares that you're in a fight to the death with your classmates? There's always time to check out the TENNIS COURTS!

It wasn't that her reality hadn't yet sunk into Jamie Li's mind, it was more that she was trying desperately to ignore it. She'd almost melted down in the tunnels when she'd seen that her sole method of salvation was to be a pool noodle, an object that oddly enough, she continued to hold onto, whacking random objects as she passed by them. Her investigation into the large tennis courts went exactly as she'd assumed it to go. They were tennis courts, made of clay, and had obviously cost a great deal to make and maintain. The island had obviously been evacuated hastily, though, as the weeds were beginning to occasionally sprout up through the path stones, indicating that the grounds hadn't been tended to in some time. Everything seemed ordinary, and that in itself was almost terrifying. After a thorough examination of the tennis courts revealed no information that could be of any use to her at all, Jamie and her pool noodle exited the courts, beginning to wander along the outside of the fenced-in area.

All of that left Jamie at about the same place she'd started out; scared, tired, and freaked right out, at this point trying pretty much anything to keep her mind from actually thinking about her potentially hopeless situation. Unfortunately, the pool noodle made for a poor conversationalist, and reality took that moment to butt its way through.

So here it is, Jamie. The moment of truth. What the fuck are you thinking? You're running around with nothing to defend yourself but a plastic floatation device, and a ton of explosives strapped to your neck?! Have you lost your mind? Why not just pack it in, roll over and play dead?

For a moment, she chewed on her lip, and casually brushed a stray hair out of her eyes.

Why DIDN'T she just pack it in? It was a really good question. At mere inches over five feet tall, there was vitrually nobody in her entire graduating class that she'd physically be able to match up against and win. It wasn't like she had anything to threaten anyone with.

Look out, here comes vicious Jamie Li, looking to kill a bitch with the POOL NOODLE OF DOOM! Ugh. So what now? Is it really worth fighting against? Fuck the police, fight the power? Really? Why should I even bother? The odds are utterly astronomical that I even manage to last a week; let alone a day, and even then...the only possible physical advantage that I have over anyone disappears the more fatigued I get. Come on, Jamie? Why bother? You're in a no-win situation, here.

There was a lot of sense being made in her internal thought processes, but...something...

...something caught her, in the back of her mind.

Mom and Dad. The old "I'm not mad, Jamie, but I'm very disappointed". Gets 'ya every time. So how would they feel if their daughter didn't go out fighting? Didn't go out kicking and screaming, bitching and complaining? They'd be disappointed. Lay on the Asian parent guilt. Fuck, I don't want to deal with the Asian parent guilt eating at my eternal soul! The hell with that!

Wandering around the one side of the courts, Jamie knelt down to pick at some weeds.

So it that it? I fight so that my parents aren't disappointed in me?

She laughed out loud.

"How can I be such a downer?"

Of course she would fight. The fact that she'd doubted it, well, it just made it all the more hilarious. Getting into mischief, mayhem, and trouble was something that Jamie Li had a habit of, mainly because of her propensity to stand up for what she believed in, and to follow her own path in life. She'd aspired to become a professional wrestler, to entertain crowds for a living instead of going to a top medical school or earn a business degree. Why? It was her plan. She'd fought with her parents over it, and she'd stood up for herself. How was this any different?

Truth was, it wasn't.

Jamie knew that it wasn't. A smile crept across her face. The facts were brutal, horrific. She was media-conscious, she knew all about the horrors that had gone on during Survival of the Fittest. She'd heard of the rapes, the murders that went on. People like that Adam Dodd character who'd come back a shell of themselves. She'd watched him speak on television once. The man was a hollowed-out shell. Sure, he had charisma, but his eyes were dead. Jamie remembered thinking that, recalling how dead his eyes had looked when he'd spoken. There was someone who'd essentially died in 'Survival of the Fittest'. His body had survived, but his soul had died.

"The hell if I'm going to come out like that. I'm gonna walk out the goddamn front door with a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye. Yeah!"

Right then, Jamie Li knew that she was not going to be a wrestler anymore. Maybe in a past life, perhaps. She had a new set of goals; a new career aspiration.

She was going to be a survivor.

"Yeah...a survivor. Fuck right!"

Hope had been restored. Mission accomplished. At least ...for now.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The noisy arrival of figures from the bushes near to the tennis courts had surprised Jamie, and for a few moments, she seriously contemplated taking off in the other direction. It would have been the smart move, and probably would have ensured her safety from any knife-wielding assailants. Naturally though, Jamie didn't like doing things the safe way. A little danger spiced things up a little, and if a potential player wandered out of the bushes packing a pistol, odds were that she'd be done anyways by the time that she realized what was going on.

It was a pleasant surprise, then, that the two figures who wandered out of the forest didn't seem to be the "player" types; one of whom was immediately recognizable to her, the other was yet another faceless Bayview student. The one girl, Lily Ainsworth, was a unique one, that much was true. They'd had a few classes here and there, and since both Lily and Jamie tended to socialize outside of the "popular" circles, they'd crossed paths outside of school a few times. She was a nice girl - a little flighty, perhaps, but Jamie'd never known her to be anything but pleasant. As far as the other boy went, well...Jamie vaguely recalled seeing him at school, but no information immediately came to mind.

Neither of them seem the dangerous type, but...guess it doesn't hurt to keep my guard up.

Seeing the smile directed her way, Jamie returned it, holding back a little bit still due to the pressure of their situation.

"Hi, Lily. How're you holding up?"

Her companion stepped forward and introduced them both. Obviously, she already knew Lily, but Rekka, the boy...the name still didn't really ring any bells with her. Nonetheless, he seemed polite, and obviously a bit worried as he immediately urged the group to take shelter in a more secluded area. His attention then turned to her pool noodle, which he questioned with a sense of confused awe.

Really? He's never seen a pool noodle before? Oh, come on!

Smirking, Jamie took the pool noodle in her hands and lightly tapped him on the head with it. "It's a pool noodle...like a little floaty thing, for the water? Not a whole heck of a lot of good for fighting with, but I'm A-okay if we find ourselves trapped in a swimming pool!"

Glancing back at Lily, she gestured to the tennis courts.

"There's nobody on the courts, so we can head over that way if you guys really want to..." She paused. "I know maybe it's a little late to say, but can you believe that this is actually fucking happening!? I-I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. They really expect us to KILL everyone? I mean, I know they've taken other classes, but...I just can't see...killing?"

Her shoulders slumped. Jamie was lucky. As yet, she'd not been forced to experience any potential horrors; hell, she didn't even know if her classmates had begun to murder each other at all. But a feeling in the pit of her stomach...told her that it was a belief that was foolish and naive.

God only knew how long it would take for her to learn the truth.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((I appreciate the fact that some of us are busy and such, but I'd really like to get it moving, and as such, will be getting her moving :P))

Jamie grimaced at the girl's last thought. Dying was something that was supposed to have been so very far off, and now...well, she didn't like the idea of dying very much. There was so many different things that she'd wanted to do before checking out; have kids, start a family, travel the world...unfortunately, her chances of living out the week varied from "slim" to "none".

Even I'd have trouble dealing with those odds...but when have I ever been one to bet with the house? The hell with that, I'd rather make up my own odds...

As far as Jamie went - she'd always told people that her personal motto was that she "was going to live forever". Why change that line of thinking now? She recalled a line from a movie that she'd seen years ago - she could barely remember the movie, or where it was from, but the quote had always stuck with her, and to have it come to mind now...she had to get out of here. She didn't like the way that this one boy was eyeing her up and down, and the air seemed uncomfortable. Lily was a good sort, but staying in one place too long probably wasn't the smartest idea in the world. She didn't know how everyone else was thinking, but if the area was devoid of death and destruction, then who knew how long it was going to stay like that? Drumming her fingers on the pool noodle, she looked at Lily and smiled.

"I can appreciate the need for rest, but I've been here at these courts a little long, myself. You're right - they want us all to die, but..." She stretched out the last syllable and smirked. "...I don't think that I'm going to oblige them. I'd prefer to keep moving. I'm going to head towards the outskirts of the island...I think it's safer than wandering around inside of it, you never know who you're going to run into in such an enclosed space. You two are welcome to follow along, but...if not, I guess I hope we meet up sooner or later."

Jamie smiled, genuinely hoping the best for Lily. She hadn't ever been a close friend or anything, but the girl had a good heart.

"Good luck, Lily. I'll be off...thataway!"

As she grasped her pool noodle and took off into the forest, her mind stretched out to that movie quote. For the life of her, she still couldn't remember what the film was, but that it was a conversation between two men.

I take it that the odds are against us, and the situation is grim? Sounds like fun!

Like fun, indeed. This promised to be a flat-out fucking ball; of that she was certain.

((Jamie Li continued elsewhere))
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · The Greens · Next Topic »
Add Reply