Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Only Way Is Up; TOPIC CLOSED
Topic Started: Aug 21 2010, 11:56 AM (9,517 Views)
Fanatic
Member Avatar
A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Jason Harris continued from Flowerhead))

The group of boys had been hiking for quite some time now. Originally the plan had been to head to town, hole up and see what they could do from there, once a base of operations was established. However after some consultation between the boys the fact that the town could, and most likely would be a cluster fuck made that idea a little less appealing. From the quick inventory the group had made Jason was unsure whether every student had been assigned a gun or not. The four of them certainly had and if this was the case he strongly suspected that the town would be a prime example of a paint ball match gone terribly wrong although in this case the mental image included less paint and more bullets whizzing through the streets. So instead they had opted to head towards the mountain, hopefully get to the radio tower and secure that location instead.

The reasoning behind this was twofold. Firstly they strongly doubted many of the students would bother with the long hike associated with reaching the structure and secondly it was remote enough and probably well built enough to work as a good primary rally point. Plus the mountain was a excellent landmark. The trip itself had been relatively uneventful, from time to time they had spotted figures possibly moving in the distance and had made a wide berth around the smoking ruins of the sawmill, despite protests from some of the group members to investigate. Although from time to time conversation perked up most of the trip was relatively sullen and sombre with little said over long periods of time. They had briefly toyed with the idea of moving all the gear in to one pack and storing any excess in a hidden cache if needed elsewhere but Jason had deferred to Nathan in this instance and instead opted to scout ahead of the group as they reached the mountainous area ahead.

He never strayed too far from the group but had handed his bag over to the trio following in order to make himself a little lighter on his feet. It wasn't too long before the loud, demanding voice of Jeremy Franco reached his ears. Motioning for the group to hold up Jason scrambled up the rocky surface to try and gain a good view of the potential enemies, or allies ahead. Peeking over the rock formation Jason watched as Jeremy finished his sales pitch.

Turning back to the group who waited a little below he signalled. First pointing to his eyes and then holding up four fingers, mouthing the words "I see four people" He thought for a second on how to convey the lack of guns and that two were male and two were female before frowning.

Probably should of thought that out before hand, hell we had enough time.

He glanced back at the group on the small plateau before motioning for them to move up.

If we get around them we probably can control the situation, hopefully Nathan will make a call. Once again probably should of thought this through

Having second thoughts Jason started to move again, deciding the best cause of action would be to regroup and then discuss what to do. It just so happened that his foot slipped ever so slightly, causing a few rocks and pebbles to careen down the side of the outcrop of where he was standing. The Australian froze mid climb, his left hand on his gun while the other pulled out to steady his balance. He definitely didn't want to cause any kind of rock slide and he hoped that none of the people he watched had heard him.

He watched with baited breath as one of the pebbles bounced and rolled its way across the ground before finally resting at Cody's foot.

Well fuck.
Sickness: Partially suicidal... very slightly because of my report, but mostly because Jason is dead. All of my personal issues stem from the fact that Jason Harris did not win SotF v4

William 'Woozie' Wu - "Hey Pheebs, you're amazing babe."

V4
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fanatic
Member Avatar
A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jason didn't hate Jimmy. Hate was a strong word. Sure Jimmy was annoying and Jason tended to avoid him since there was just something about the kid that screamed out 'punch me in the face' but he certainly didn't hate him. As Jeremy began to move towards him Jason's mind ticked over.

Play smart, if he gets close enough there's a chance that he might attack, if he's far away there's little chance of him doing anything given he's wielding that cane around. If we keep the advantage hopefully we can get away with no one getting hurt. Although... the smartest thing to do would be to just shoot them.

Jason couldn't though, even as he thought it the action dredged up memories of when he had to put his dog down the year before. The gut wrenching heartbreak as he watched the light dimmed from the dog's eyes was not something he could face again, especially if it was from another person; even someone as abrasive as Jeremy Franco. Pulling his gun up with both hands Jason yelled out "Stop right there criminal scum!" He paused for a second as he realised what he just said; force of habit more than anything. "...I mean Jeremy! Don't get any closer." He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but he knew enough to minimize the risk to himself and his friends which meant taking control of the situation.

Jason felt rather than saw the presence of Maf appear at his side. The Fijian projected an aura around him, he was noticeable despite his quiet nature. There was something oddly comforting about a huge footballer standing at your side when you knew that had your back. A certain kind of surety fell over Jason that no matter what if Maf was around things would be alright. With his ally at his back he risked a brief glance behind him at Nathan and Brook and motioned for them to come up to the ledge before turning back to the four classmates in front of him.

"Right you all should..." Jason hesitated once more. Once again he didn't exactly know what to do from here, he had leaped in to a situation before thinking it through despite his reassurances to himself that he would be playing smart. He couldn't just shoot them, but then again he really couldn't let them just run off either. In a situation like this that is how people got themselves killed. Someone gets overlooked or is dismissed as not being a threat then BAM you're dead. Still even though Jason had decided to protect his friends and make sure they were the last ones remaining he just couldn't off the people standing in front of him without remorse. Additionally the impact it would have with his current group might cause problems in the future.

"you all should just... stay there." Take inventory Jason thought. Information is power, plus giving people things to do would give Jason time to think. "What weapons did you guys get? I want them all laid out on the floor." He tried to be steely in his tone but his voice cracked as he spoke, revealing the tension and stress that was coursing through his body.

This wasn't how things were supposed to go. The group was supposed to gather resources and a home base. Defend against those who attacked them and then decide who would be the last out of the four. They couldn't pick up any more people, maybe Jen if Maf wanted but certainly not anyone else. Jason furtively hoped they wouldn't run in to Tiffany, it would be awkward to say the least, with Brook still in... not the best frame of mind things could go south very quickly. Speaking of girls, he looked at Leila. There was something quite attractive about the girl in this situation, her clothes dirtied and her hair tussled. An almost primal desire sparked in Jason's mind, but he quickly swept it away with cold logic. Thinking like that made people make mistakes. One of his greatest assets at the moment was he had his friends with him already and he had no romantic interests on the island: Erin was safely at home.

Either way, they had to deal with the four students in front of them. He certainly couldn't kill them; especially not Leila, she was a girl, but they couldn't take them with them; Jeremy or Jimmy would just be a hindrance, or let them go; Cody was a conspiracy nut, he would return and hunt them down, just to be sure. That would be stupid. He hoped Brook, Maf or Nathan would have an idea. Because at this moment Jason was stumped.

Sickness: Partially suicidal... very slightly because of my report, but mostly because Jason is dead. All of my personal issues stem from the fact that Jason Harris did not win SotF v4

V4

Fanatic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Like Jonny, avoiding inactivity, and as such apologises in advance for crappiness))

The sheer audacity of Cody making his speech and then calmly strolling off in to the sunset like he wasn't even phased by multiple guns pointed at him was the only thing that made Jason not yell at him to stay where he was. Instead he stood semi-slack jawed as Cody simply disappeared around a ridge without saying a thing. This, however, was only the beginning of the inanity which was to following in the next few minutes as each of the group the Flowerheads had ambushed began speaking up, putting forward their business deals almost all at once. Way too much for Jason to process while he had a gun pointed at them.

He was relieved when Nathan stepped up to the plate. The guy certainly knew how to take charge and Jason was extremely relieved when he started talking. It stemmed some of the nerves that he had when Brook had scrambled up behind him and started issuing demands. His voice was too wavy and Jason was worried what Brook might do in his unstable state. He had thought the long walk from the felled forest had brought his mate back to reality a little but he could see that placed in this situation Brook was quickly losing his composure. Right then and there Jason made a mental note. Keep Brook away from the action. There was no use protecting the guy if he lost he before the end of the game. He felt the tension drop by several levels as Nathan spoke up.

Yo yo? Didn't Nathan have a gun? Jason thought to himself as Nathan concluded his speech. Oh wait... I see what you did there. Nathan had always been smarter than he gave himself credit for and the guy had a natural charisma that Jason could not quite seem to attain no matter how much he tried. Sure Jason was willing to try and motivate people, but more often than not it met with reluctant agreement rather than any kind of enthusiasm. Jimmy really was asking for it, the balls he had simply to tell Jason to stay where he was was unbelievable and if Nathan hadn't piped up then and there Jason knew he would of done something stupid.

The first thought that had crossed his mind was We need to ensure they know we're in control otherwise they'll walk all over us and he had contemplated shooting Jimmy, firing in to the air, pistol whipping the kid and putting his gun down all within seconds and had immediately discarded each notion as infeasible. He hoped that after Nathan's carefully worded entry, and the fact that the four boys all stood together on high ground would be enough to make Jimmy stop in his tracks.

As Nathan finished Jason turned his attention to Leila. Once again his baser instincts perked up as he surveyed the girl and it certainly didn't help that Leila basically handed him the mental image of her being pounded from behind. He honestly contemplated it for a few seconds. She probably didn't mean for it to come of that way and really just wanted protection but Leila had a reputation for being a flirt and not really the smartest tool in the kit. Plus, Jason reminded himself, his goal was to protect his friends, not score a little nookie. Dying a virgin though was not something he had planned on doing.

Before Jeremy began his sales pitch Jason spoke in a metered tone to Leila. "It's getting late, so we'll probably set up camp somewhere round here. You can stay with us for the night, but don't try anything stupid." He glanced quickly at his companions, looking for agreement from his friends on the plan before confirming anything for sure.

He was a little more relaxed now so when Jeremy placed his cane down Jason listened fully intending to consider the boy's proposal. As the words tumbled out of Jeremy's mouth Jason began to widen his eyes in disbelief, even more so than when Cody simply strode off in to the distance. As he finished Jason turned to Brook his face serious. "I dunno man, seems like a pretty good idea. I mean we really don't know what we're doing and..."

He trailed off and slowly turned back to Jeremy with a cocky smile. "Seriously Jeremy that has got to be the worst pitch I have ever heard in my entire life. We've got this covered." Jason was completely disarmed he knew he should be thinking about removing all threats and letting people live was counter-intuitive to the cold logical plan of how to ensure at least one of his friends made it out alive but the ridiculousness of Jeremy's pitch had somewhat changed his current outlook. He could, Jason reasoned to himself, always reassess later, no need to do anything rash. Jeremy's sincerity on the sell reminded Jason about the time the young entrepreneur tried to sell him a Nintendo DS. It had taken the boy 2 weeks to get Jason to buy the thing but in the end he had succeeded. "Look, it's getting late and I don't think we're going to make it to the phone tower tonight, so like Leila, you're welcome to stay with us if you want for the night."

He didn't extend the invitation to Jimmy. The kid was a firecracker waiting to go off.

He wasn't so sure of himself but he hoped Nathan would take control of the situation proper and work out the details. Before he moved Jason turned to his friends and spoke softly. "If we just watch each other's backs we should be ok. But we should at least think about what we're going to do with these guys. We can't keep them around with us, they'll just slow us down." He nodded to the trio behind him and hoped they understood the ramifications of what he was implying. Trekking down the ridge slightly Jason looked around for a good place to spend the night. "Well come on guys? What are we waiting for. I'll even take first watch."

V4

Fanatic
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jason hadn't found any convenient sleeping places in the short time that Greg and Jeremy had had their conversation and was half grateful when Nathan started to move onwards along the trail. He hadn't really wanted to stop here, but what with running in to the trio of what seemed to Jason the most ridiculous of students his original plan was thrown somewhat out of shape. Once again Nathan had come to the rescue despite not knowing he needed to.

As Jeremy bounded off Jason did sigh inwardly a little. This was going to be difficult. They couldn't just kill off people they came across. He didn't think any of them would have the guts to do so, even though he knew it was the smart play. They were armed, athletic and a mobile group, but if they couldn't pull they trigger they weren't coming out the other side. There was a deep certainty that resounded down to the very core of Jason as he thought this process through. He didn't think that anyone they had yet met was a real threat but next time they might not be so lucky.

As Nathan and Leila moved off Jason moved back up to Brook and Maf, putting his hands on their shoulders. The action may of looked a little comical to anyone watching as Jason was by far the smallest of the three but anyone could tell the sentiment was there.

"Like my awesome commando signals? Probably should of gone through that before I ran off though. Suppose we see this through, hopefully we can get to the Radio Tower before we pass out from exhaustion. I'm pretty glad Nath's taken the lead for now, gives me some time to rest and to catch up on all the gossip that's been happening back here hey?"

Keep moral up for now. When the time came he needed to make sure that someone was willing to save the group. Brook, there was no chance of him ever hurting anyone, but any of the others might. Maf would take a lot of convincing, but in the right situation... he might just pull the trigger. Nathan, just a few nudges and he might be willing to listen as long as he understood why. Jason himself. Well he hoped he would be enough of a man to step up when the time came.

Unfortunately for him it would be sooner than he thought.

((Jason Harris continued elsewhere...))

V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Add Reply