Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bats & Rats & Blind Cave Salamanders; B038 Start
Topic Started: Aug 15 2010, 02:12 AM (4,770 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Naoko Raidon continued from Two Roads Diverged in a Dark Hellhole)

Naoko Raidon still refused to use a flashlight.

He'd been hearing things in the tunnels, little snippets of sound; voices, for the most part. A great deal of yelling, earlier; a few sobs, scattered here and there.

And then an outbreak of sobbing surprisingly close. Raidon froze, his fingers trailing across the gun. He could barely see in here, but the tunnels were surprisingly well-made; the floors were smooth, thought dusty and occasionally cluttered by pebbles, and the turns tended to be gentle, although one place where this wasn't too had resulted in him rapping himself smartly across the face with a wall.

His nose still ached, which might go a little ways to explaining how he failed to miss the light ahead of him.

He hesitated. In the dusky halo of illumination coming from the flashlight, he could make out a few scattered details. There seemed to be several entrances to this place--a juncture, of some kind?

And there was light. From a flashlight.

A person.

At once the ice in him began to whisper, reminding him of why they were here, of how successful previous players had been at escape.

I am a survivor, not a killer.

Right now, what's the difference

He lowered the gun to his side, but did not remove it. "Not that I am too inclined to help another player," he said quietly. "But using a flashlight in the tunnels is tantamount to broadcasting your position to the whole world."

The sobbing was coming from just beyond the tunnel, but the boy in front of him had not yet stirred to do a thing. Had he, perhaps, been the cause?
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Raidon's thin eyebrows went up. He wasn't sure he liked the way he felt right now; he was calm, certainly, but it was a calm that was ill-fitting with his personality and with his circumstances. He didn't like this calm, it made him feel edgy and a little mad, as though his own skin had been unfaithful to him and now reeked of another.

He didn't like this feeling. Not remotely.

"You want to die at the hands of the first person you see?" Raidon asked. The ice in his tone surprised even him; a faint tremble took his right hand, and he felt a sudden desire. Lift it, pull the trigger. The safety was off, the gun was loaded, if he hadn't been afraid of giving away his position he would have fired off a test shot to make sure he'd done it properly, but...but he was reasonably sure. And he was right, this boy was a fellow player, he was...

Crying in the tunnels, and the last time Raidon had seen violence his father had been on the receiving end.

"Seems like a stupid idea to me," Raidon said, sticking the gun in his pocket. "I'd much rather die in the sunlight, you know." He stretched. "If you've had that light on, have you had time to check your map?" He looked the boy up and down. In spite of the cool he was trying to maintain, he was impressed by his willingness to trust.

Still, Raidon couldn't think of the name.

"Naoko Raidon," he said, after a moment's thought. "BO54, according to my bag. And you are?"
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Charles," repeated Raidon. "Good, I'll..." His fingers were still on the handle of his gun; it would be a moment's work to draw it from his side, aim it, fire...

He wants to die.

He's lost. He doesn't want to die.

He wants-

He doesn't-!

Does it matter? He's an enemy, or will be. You may not kill him now, but if he makes it...

He's a fellow player.

"Charles," Raidon said one final time. "I'm sorry we're meeting like this."

She arrived. A girl who had trouble with his name. That was fine, Raidon was having an equal amount of trouble with hers. Helena? Probably Helen, not a great number of people named Helena. "Yes," Raidon said agreeably. "And you're...Helen, yes?" He waited for her answer. "Seems you had a good draw." He nodded towards the glowstick. "Get someone to bite it, maybe they'll get poisoned." He shrugged. "As for getting out, I woke up here. I, uh...the beach. It's, uh...it's that way." He nodded back the way he'd come. "Take the left at the next junction, it'll take you right out." He shifted, slung his bag over his shoulder.

It was time to go.

He didn't want to, but he would hurt these people, and he didn't think he could do that in good conscience. So.

"I can't join you," he said. "But I'll...I'll remember your names."

And then he was off, taking the juncture away from the direction in which someone had been crying, away from the people around him. Away from having to choose between what he wanted and what every instinct in his body was crying out for him to do.

He couldn't bring himself to wish them good luck.

(Naoko Raidon continued in The Quiet Lives of Baron Saturday)
Edited by Grim Wolf, Sep 12 2010, 05:25 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply