Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bats & Rats & Blind Cave Salamanders; B038 Start
Topic Started: Aug 15 2010, 02:12 AM (4,681 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
G100 - Helen Wilson - Start

Glow sticks? Glow sticks!? How the fuck was she supposed to do anything with a handful of glow sticks? Helen stomped her way along the tunnel, looking for any signs of anything. She withdrew a single glowstick from the pack and pointed it in front of her like a gun.

"Say your prayers, Bond," she said in as British an accent as she was able to muster, "pow! Pow, pow, pow," with each pow she recoiled slightly, as though her glowstick gun had gone off and was actually a useful weapon. She stopped and looked at it, "stupid piece of shit" she muttered, yet something in the back of her mind said that they might be useful later, for... something. If she'd been given a gun along with the glowsticks, well, then she would have been ecstatic to have glowsticks. But the knowledge that her peers were out there with knived and guns and bows and arrows and shit meant that she felt at a significant disadvantage. It wasn't fair, but she figured that was the 'amusing' side of it. And though it sickened her to thing of this, she'd watched previous series' and laughed as the competitors drew shit weapons. "Oh karma, what will you cast upon me next? Please use my future doctor status to allow me to not get injured, and not die. I might discover the cure for cancer some day! Surely I should survive!"

Helen shook her head and kept walking. Where was everyone? And where the hell was the exit? Waking up in the tunnels, which curved away in both directions, neither of which had any indication of sunlight, or other people, or anything, had been almost enough of a distraction for her to forget why she was there. After dithering for close on ten minutes, and scouting for about a hundred metres in either direction, she eventually chose left, for no reason other than it sloped slightly upwards, and the dampness of the cave suggested it was underground. Also, up would at worst take her out halfway up a mountain, and then she could... rock climb down or something. Damn she wished she'd been assigned a rope. But better than being trapped underground

The glowsticks might have come in useful if she'd had more than 6, like, for lighting a path so that if she did get lost she could just follow them back out again. Or back to her starting point at least. Helen kicked a stone in her path; it skittered across the floor, and bounced off the wall, losing all momentum and coming to a rest a few seconds later. She picked it up and shined her torch on it; it looked like it had a face, two small dents and an angular line underneath them, the face was smiling. Well at least SOMEONE's happy to be here. She put the stone in her pocket, figuring it made a better weapon than her assigned one did.

Just then she rounded a corner, and voices began to trickle out to her from somewhere up ahead, her eyes widened. She switched the torch off, vaguely aware that she didn't want them to know who she was before she knew who they were. Scratching her ear, she crept forward, thankful that she'd worn pumps with rubber soles that cusioned the noise of her walking, and rounded the corner when a light appeared. One of them had their torch on, ah, the element of surprise! Still, she was relieved, as she spied on them from a little way away, to see who it was. Well, she was relieved to see Charles, who she'd shared a couple of classes with and knew to be relatively harmless. And then the boy, who's face she coulsn't see (it would appear he'd come up the same path as she), stowed his gun, and she felt it was safe to make an entrance.

"Hey, Charles!" Helen said, half enthusiastically, coming up to them. "And hey..." her mind faltered, "Raidon!" she'd shared a class with him too. "Fancy seeing you guys here..." she added sarcastically. "Anyone know the way out?"
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Helen shrugged at Charles as Raidon pointed her in the correct direction, scratching nape of her neck at the same time, her eyes looking where he pointed. She shuddered briefly, the ethereal darkness was offputting, and though she trusted Raidon just about enough that she was intending to go in that direction, at any rate she had no better offers, the blackness and sound of voices around the next corner wasn't making her want to move. In actuality, she felt safe where she was.

"Well, I guess there's places to go. People to try not to see," she said, forcing herself to be more lighthearted than she really felt. Turning to go in the direction that she'd been directed, she took a few steps, then paused, and turned back arround again, dithering over what to best say next. "You can come with, if you want to I mean," she added hastily. "But don't feel pressured to."

Without looking to see if he did get up and follow (because, truth be told, she'd have been relatively crushed if he'd chosen sitting in a dank tunnel over her sparkling wit), Helen took about ten paces forwards, rounded a corner, and up a shortish passage to her right, came upon Gloria, Jessie and Quincy. Her eyes adjusted badly to the dark, and she pushed her glasses up her nose, despite them not having slipped anywhere, and were now poking into her eyeballs a little. Still she could make them out, and recognised them, though their names were a little bit fuzzy. That was the problem with a grade as large as theirs, close to three hundred students, and Helen reckoned she'd only ever spoken to about half of them.

Catching the end of what Quincy said, as he stuck out his arms to help up what looked like a very hysterical Gloria, Helen butted in, wanting to help them out. Now was too early on in the game to be making enemies with each other, though she wasn't entirely sure she liked the look of Quincy. Perhaps because he didn't seem to be panicked (though, bizzarrely, neither was she), and because he was male and she didn't know him. Males seemed more threatening in this environment.

"Apparently," Helen said conversationally, "if we keep on going up this tunnel," she used her hand to indicate the way in which they should move, "and take the next left, it'll bring us to a beach-" her voice faltered slightly, feeling very stupid all of a sudden for no specific reason. Her cheeks were growing warm and she was glad it was dark and they couldn't really see her blush. "We could, er, build sandcastles or something I guess."
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Helen jerked a thumb over her left shoulder, back in the direction she and Charles (whom she was relieved to see had followed her) had come from.

"Raidon," she said, not knowing if they knew who he was or not. "He's... well he was in my biology class one year, anyway who he is isn't important," she waved her hands in front of her as though she were wiping a slate clean. "He came from there, and told us the way out, then went off in a different direction..." she said trailing off with a shrug. It wasn't the most convincing story now that she said it out loud, and frowned, scratching the back of her neck, feeling awkward.

"But for what it's worth," she added, "I do trust him. And I don't know that we have anything to lose by-" she stopped abruptly mid sentence as Gloria started waving a gun around. Her eyes widened, which had the dual effect of making her glasses fall back onto her nose from where she had pushed them into her eyes, and immediately making them water in the dusty conditions. God, please don't let anyone think I'm crying... She watched Quincy try to reason with her, and try and get the gun off her (Naturally all for her own good Helen thought with a frown) before being distracted by another new arrival. But she still had that gun.

Ignoring Tiffany, who had always come off badly to her (though that might just have been jealousy seeing as the girl always seemed to have the latest, well, everything), Helen turned her mind back to the panicked Gloria, beginning to feel her patience ebbing away.
"For fuck's sake," she said irritably. "Put the gun down, we're trying to fucking help you! Pull yourself together, or to be quite honest, I have no qualms about leaving you here," that might have been a bit harsh, but she didn't doubt that's what everyone else wanted to say. Still she moved on quickly, turning to Jessie in the hopes that her brief outburst might be forgotten.

"I like the tearing up magazines idea, if we just use tiny bits to show where we've decided to go, it might work. Nobody would know but us what they meant," the last bit she directed at Gloria, with a thin, but honest smile, wanting the gun bearing girl back on her good side. Her mind reeled back to girl scouts when they had gone hiking and learnt woodland symbols. Turn left, turn right, straight on, given up and gone home. They'd only needed to learn four to get the badge, now she wished she'd learnt them all.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
As Jessie started to move, Helen figured it might be a good time for her to get out of the tunnels as well. The darkness was beginning to press in on her, and she wanted nothing more than to see the sky. To see clouds and stars, sun and moon, natural things. Things that the whole world could see. The same sky that somewhere in the world her parents and her sister were looking at, hoping that she was okay. She wondered if they knew, already. Had the campsite reported them missing yet? She had no idea what the time was, it could have been days, minutes, the tunnels seemed to last forever. Choking back sudden tears that were hidden by the dark, she rushed past Jessie and Quincy in her eagerness to get out of the tunnels.

That was not a place she had any intention of going back to. Bad feelings were bred in places where your senses were compromised.

"It's not fair," she found herself muttering as she walked alone along the tunnels, though the others weren't too far away, and they were all going in the same direction. "It's not fucking fair!" her voice broke into a hiccupont he last word, and she banged his fist against the wall. Hitting a rock, it smarted, then began to bleed gently. Clutching her left fist with her right, Helen stopped walking and squeezed her eyes shut for a second, before fumbling along again. "Fuckity fuck fuck fuck," she moaned as she walked along, clutching her really not bery badly injured hand. Once she was out in the open she could bandage it. And turning where Raidon had told her to, light began to appear. Sunlight. Daylight. A reddish sky, it was later than she thought it was. Her mood suddenly lifted as quickly as it had dropped, and she turned back to the others.

"Hey!" she shouted, her voice still a little sniffly from the tears. "Hey guys, we're almost out!"

Relieved to see it, she made a run for the beach, determined that things would be better now.

((Helen Wilson continued in Day of the Dove))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Add Reply