Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Tunnel Vision; Thread Closed
Topic Started: Aug 13 2010, 11:03 PM (2,032 Views)
T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((B018 - Colin Falcone Start))

Colin's memories were naught but a jumble. He groggily fluttered his eyes open, sighing as he attempted to see. There was some sort of bright spotlight shining directly in his face. Where the hell was he? Other than this light from the heavens however, the rest of the area appeared dark. Beneath his battered hands was nothing but stone and dirt. He didn't know where he was or why, but something in his mind told him to get the hell up. And so he did. Every muscle in his body was stiff, every bone was sore. He fumbled in the artificial light, locating a small green canvas bag with the number "B018" embroidered in large, bold letters to the front. "Wha..."

A final push and he was on his rear. He had never been an eager riser, and the 'sleep aids' had done nothing to help this particular trait. Half a minute had passed since the cogs in his mind began to whir, attempting to process what was happening. First though, he needed to see. Dark was preferred to the light shining on him. An enfeebled arm swatted up at the source, a grumble making it's way from his throat. "..Outta my face..." was all he could process as he rubbed his eyes. The dirt on the back of his hands was irritating, but it did wipe the sleep from his eyelids. "Where the hell..." He glanced up, and now that the light was out of his eyes, he noticed a familiar face slowly coming into view. "Tim? What are you doing here?"

A quick shake of his head. Something about people dying... Something about a game... Something about... Wait. That couldn't be right. That could NOT be right. His sleep and drug addled mind tried to slowly come to some conclusion other than the fact that he was a very unwilling participant on Survival of the Fittest. "Tim... Please tell me we're not where I think we are... Please dude, tell me we're camping." He held his face in his palms, reality finally beginning to set. "No... Please, no..." He let out a soft sob, his hand flying down to meet the ground. "Why us? Why us?!?"

It felt like forever as he let pure emotion lay waste to his senses. A wave of pure sadness flowing through his mind and body; heart and soul. His friends were going to die. He would never see his mom again. There was no way he would survive this... He was a calm, peaceful eighteen year old boy. He could never harm someone. He didn't want to hurt anyone.

But what about his friends? Would he kill someone to save his friends? Who else but Tim was on this God forsaken island that he remotely cared about? No one that came to mind. He held back another sob, simply sniffling the mucus that had decided to join the rest of nature back into his nose. "W..What are we going to do?" He truly had no answer. He just wanted to hear that it would all be alright, whether or not it would be. Just that reassurance... He wanted a hug. He wanted to cry on someone's shoulder. He wanted to just let it all out, and not feel alone. He didn't care what was in that bag. That could come later, when he needed it. He didn't care about his backpack, or his guitar, as expensive and beautiful as it was. He just wanted to go home. He wanted to be back in St. Paul, singing with his friends, sitting at the Cafe, sipping a cup of coffee, something calming. His eyes turned skyward as he softly whispered a set of lyrics that he felt fit. His voice wavered with every note, his back shaking with every sob that punctuated the words.

"Here on These Cliffs of Dover... So... High... You can't see over..." And yet again he broke down into sobs. He couldn't be so negative. He needed to be strong if he wanted to live...

No, he wouldn't live... He wouldn't attack anyone. The best he could hope for is a one way heart to heart with his friends and family back home from a camera. His eyes closed as he buried his face into his knees. At least he had been given his chance to say his goodbyes, even if he couldn't ever hear them in return. Was it truly weak to cry for one's mother at a time like this? The amount that the poor boy cared had dropped to zero in under ten minutes.

"Mom..." Tears continued to roll down his face like a waterfall as he looked to his only friend that was in hell with him for reassurance.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Unfortunately for Colin, Tim's reassuring words weren't quite enough. He would need time to try to come to terms with almost certain death. His mind was addled with a mess of ideas and thoughts, mostly centering on the morbid. How will I die? Will I die? How is mom holding up? What about Tim? How many of my friends will I watch slowly die here? If I survive, will I ever be the same? Will I actually kill someone?

That last thought rang on Colin's tongue for a moment. He took a deep breath, his insurmountable depression forcing the air flowing into his lungs to even waver. He for the first time observed his surroundings, attempting to find something peaceful, something serene to focus on in an attempt to calm down. Dank, dark stone walls; dank, dark dirt floor. No natural light in sight in any direction. He was in some kind of tunnel. His forehead met his palms as he closed his eyes, all of his willpower just wishing the entire island away. And there he sat, trying to rationalize.

After a short while, another single sniff punctuated the silence that the cave in which they currently sat held. He couldn't just sit there like this. They would die today if he did. He needed to stop feeling sorry for himself. Easier said than done. Internal struggle racked the poor boy. Should I get up and move? Should I stay here, tell Tim to run, and lay down to die? It would be so much easier... But then what about Tim? He shook his head. "Hey, Tim..." He attempted to keep his voice strong, a mediocre attempt at best. "W..Weren't we given rations or something?" He knew exactly what he was asking for. Tim, where's the bag we gave so I can at least see my weapon. He couldn't bring himself to say it though. Admitting he had a weapon almost felt like admitting that he would kill.

Thankfully he didn't even need to ask where it was. A small green day pack sat directly next to his beat up blue one that he brought on the camping trip. His guitar case seemed to be nowhere in sight; The terrorists probably took it. Oh well, that should really be the least of his concerns. However for some reason, the lack of seeing this familiar object in his vicinity sent another pang of pain through his chest.

Upon pressing his glasses needlessly back to the bridge of his nose, Colin rolled on his behind to reach the bags successfully without having to give the strength needed to stand up. His frail, callused hand wrapped around both handles and pulled the pair closer. "B018" adorned the side of the foreign bag. Probably some form of classification. He shook his head at the mercilessness of the game. Nothing but a number... Either way, he beckoned for the light, unzipping the new bag. He at least had an idea what would be in the other bag, and not too much of it was necessarily useful right now. The first thing he fished around for was his own flashlight, which thankfully for him appeared to be directly on top of the pile. A quick flick, and now two cones illuminated the depressing surroundings in which they sat. Rather than look at Tim (he already knew his friend probably looked as distraught as he did), instead looked through the rest of his bag. A few loaves of bread, some bottles of water, a compass, a map... The map appeared to bulge however in the strangest fashion. A quick rustle of the piece of paper revealed something metallic which shone back his beam directly into his glasses, and he recoiled from the sudden brightness. However a second, more careful search revealed a small hand Axe. This had to be his weapon, it was the only thing that didn't seem to fit.

He gingerly lifted the cutting implement by two fingers and examined it with the light in his free hand. "Do they really expect me to... use... this? I could never..." He trailed off, thinking of the implications of that statement. Even through his pained mind, what little pieces of normalcy remained were falling from his mind. He clicked off the flashlight and inserted it haphazardly into his jean pocket, turning the item carefully in both hands, observing as the glint from the polished blade created a reflection from Tim's light on the cavern wall. A mixture of shock, awe, and disgust rolled through him as he just contemplated the single, normally innocuous item that he now held, and what it now stood for.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Colin was still almost utterly focused on his weapon, barely registering what Tim had said about his own. This was just surreal. This was the epitome of surreal. There was no way this could be happening. They were seriously expected to kill. That was just something he would never get over. Well, for as long as he was on the island... As long as he was alive. Which probably wouldn't actually be long.

The meek boy's train of thought, his attempt to re-grasp reality was quickly shattered by a duffel hitting him square in the glasses, dropping him directly to the ground. An involuntary scream shot from his lungs as he fell, the physical shock of his skull bouncing on dirt and stone sending a searing pain through his head. "AAAGH!" His arms swung wide as his reaction was to brake his fall, the axe still clung to tightly by his instinct for self preservation. His entire mind was disconnecting from itself, each piece becoming more and more prominent in the boy's thought without him realizing it. His arms momentarily flailed as he struggled with the duffle sitting squarely on his face. The bag reeked of sweat and mildew, however this was the least of Colin's worrys.

There was a skitter. A slam. A thud. Light caught the corner of B018's eye as the flashlight just held by tim flew across the tunnel. A voice, one he didn't recognize. "Okay, If you guys don't do anything funny, you'll get out alright." A click.

And this is the exact moment that the thinking stopped, his mind finally detaching from itself. Time seemed to slow as Colin just felt along for the ride, his eyes dialating in almost an instant. Everything that occured after felt like a TV show, and he was sitting behind the screen, rooting the hero on. Complete detachment. Pure instinct overtook the once meek folk artist as self preservation became top priority in him. His free hand reached for the duffel, throwing it from his face, adrenaline seeming to turn the fourty pounds of sweat into naught but a feather. He rolled forward, landing on his feet. The throbbing in the back of his head washed away, leaving an almost soothing pulsation without pain, reverberating through his entire body. If his mind had been in a better state, it would have reminded him a bit about the warm shiver that generally accompanies a swig of scotch.

Not a single word emerged from his mouth. Things needed to be done. The Axe clenched firmly in his hand, Colin took a stationary swing, the sharp corner of the blade sinking into the perpetrator's shoulder blades sans a warning. A soft splash as a drop of blood fell to the earth. The sweat on the broken boy's brow. The axe felt light in his hands as he pulled it from it's stone, a downtrodden man's excalibur. A swift kick, delivered directly to his attacker's hips, and Colin watched in slow motion as the offender buckled. A finger moving for the trigger. The axe fell through the air as legs moved on their own. Flat of the axe connecting to flesh. Gun skittering to the ground. Flat of the axe connecting to Tony's face. Heavy breathing. Screaming.

Colin panted heavily under his own sudden exertion, taking a step back and placing his foot on the gun, his Axe pointed directly at the foe standing before him. He wasn't himself. He was something viscious, something carnal. Something with something to protect. Someone with something to care about.
Edited by T-Fox, Aug 24 2010, 12:48 AM.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Realization began to wash back over the boy. His senses came back to him as his conscious mind re-attached itself to it's actions. He felt a warm liquid dripping off of his face. He felt the ache of the muscles in his arm, from swinging the axe with all of his might. And as the seconds wore on, he began to feel worry. Regret. Heartache. Disbelief. Disgust with himself. Each in different measure, yet each mixing into a volatile cocktail of sorrow.

He hadn't even noticed that it had happened. He didn't remember exactly how he got to where he was standing, he just knew that he had ravaged this poor boy. A scared, lonely high school student just like himself.

"You gonna-"

Colin couldn't see a thing but the silhouette of their wounded peer. A soft 'ptoo', followed by a wet plop, and the sound of a hard object bouncing across the stone. Tony's head turned back to meet Colin's gaz- no. Tony almost seemed to look right through him, even though the damned tunnel made actually determining this literally impossible.

"I didn't... I didn't mean to hurt anyone."

Of course he didn't... How could anyone want to play the game on this Island. Didn't Colin say that naught a minute ago? Tony's voice was getting softer, and lower. Anguish oozed from the speech just like the blood that oozed from his shoulder.

"I just thought that... that gun would be... be safer if we got rid of it."

His teeth clenched as his grip around the axe tightened. He wasn't preparing for another attack. No, he was gripping to the axe as if he was gripping to his composure in kind. Despite the herculean effort, a sniffle snaked it's way from his throat. Silent tears began to fall, the only indication being the occasional wet patter emanating from Colin's side of the standoff. "T..." He took a deep, pained breath, the air itself marred with death and pain. "Then why didn't... you just come talk to us..." His composure broke as tears began to fall in earnest. The wet sobs and choked cries more and more powerful as the realization of what he had just done continued to slowly, laboriously settled into his fragile, broken super-ego.

However his wallowing in a swamp of self pity was quickly broken by a forceful, unexpected word.

"Colin."

A soft whimper, almost posed as a question involuntarily coming from Colin's mouth.

"I'm sorry but I need a favor. Finish the job."

And those vivid green eyes shot wider in shock than they ever had before. "You wa- want me to..." His attentions turned, the new tears stopped rolling as every part of his conscious mind attempted to grapple with what had just been proposed to him.

"You got me pretty good. I don't think I'll make it much longer, and it fucking hurts like you wouldn't know."

And Tony chuckled. Not a sadistic chuckle, nor a fake chuckle. But a chuckle, just like the Trio had always been good friends. Like they had known each other for their entire lives, and he was just asking his pals to borrow the keys to the car for a night or something.

"Just make it quick. I don't want to sit around with the hurting for too much longer."

Colin had to do it... Right? He had just mutilated his fellow man... It was his responsibility to end the suffering. But on that hand, he would become a murderer. No, no he wouldn't. The damage was already done. Whether Colin left him here to die or not, he was a murderer.

"I'm sorry for asking this, but please."

Not that he had to like it though. Tears fell yet again from the frail boy's cheeks as he steeled himself for what he knew he had to do.

"T-Tim..." He choked out. He had to be strong, at least for now. A deep breath drown out everything else. "I want you to leave, but wait for me. Go to the end of the tunnel. Behind us."

I can't let Tim see this...

"Please, wait for me. Please, go..."

And as he waited, he took a look down at Tony. Physically battered, broken, never to leave this spot again. Colin could only imagine the things going through the head of a man who knew for a fact that he was sitting on his final resting spot. Was he silently praying to God? Or was he just making his mental peace? So many questions he had, but the longer he waited, the more that he made this other human being suffer.

But just how long had he just been distracted for? Tim was long gone, and Colin hadn't noticed it. At least his best friend didn't have to watch this. "W-Whoever you are. I'm so... so sorry." The axe lowered for a moment as Colin sank to his knees. In true form of complete compassion, he wrapped his arms around his victim, being careful to avoid the afflicted shoulder. A soft whisper. "I'm so sorry... Is there anything you want to say or do before you go?"

And he waited for the boy to say his final words. Colin did his best to stay composed as he listened. And then he nodded. ((I'll edit this to meet Tony's death speech when it's posted.))

"Had this been another time... Another place... We could have been friends." Choked sobs were beginning to break through and his will was wavering. He had to do this fast. "I'm sorry..." And those would be the last words that Tony would ever hear. Colin's head whipped to the side to avoid watching what he was about to do. The Axe swung, and the second in between the launch of the attach and the connection was quite literally the longest second of Colin's life. It seemed to hang, the momentary transition between naive folk singer and world weary killer clinging to reality for as long as it could. But alas, one can not cherish a moment forever. The blade connected.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The deed had been done. The axe connected with poor Tony's skull, and blood spurted from the wound. Not a sound came from his fallen peer's mouth as he quickly lost his life. The act had been done, and there was no going back. Colin was a killer. Maybe not a murderer per-se, but still a killer. He had swung the axe that had ended the life of Antonio Russo.

The warm blood dripping down his face would be a feeling that would follow him for the rest of his life. Something he would carry with him like a scar.

It took Colin a full minute to be willing to even open his eyes from the deed; although he knew he wouldn't be able to see the corpse. And when he finally gathered the strength to open his eyes, the only thing he could see were masked and skewed by the white hot tears that had welled up in the corners of his eyes. And Colin had no intention of wiping them away. They were a shield to the rest of the world, to the chaotic, macabre scene that had splayed out in front of him.

*Tug Tug*

Shit.

While the disbelief of all of these events made Colin numb to what had occurred, there had been a tad more force behind that swing than he had originally thought. The Axe was stuck steadfast in Tony's skull. And the absolute last thing that Colin wanted to do was use the recently deceased as leverage for such a selfish endeavor.

But at the same time, he wanted a reminder to the reality of this island. A memory of the friend that never was, so that he would never fall to that point of being a monster. Something that he could glance at and remember who he was, what he stood for... And the price that he had to pay to continue on.

I just wonder what Tony would want.

However the longer that Colin sat and thought, the more uncomfortable he felt. How long did you have to stand there before you were defiling the body? Or... Whatever people would call it. The warm tears continually streaming down his face acted to hold him to reality as he focused heavily on the feeling.

If I want the Axe, I need to take it.

He stood for a moment.

He tugged softly one more time.

And then he dropped the weapon, the body falling with it, making a loud, flat thud on the cavern's floor. His head in his hands, he scooped back up his own bag, as well as that of Tony, and made his way after Tim.

---

The light at the end of the tunnel hosted a silhouette. And while Colin was getting the same distinct vibe that Tim had prior about the light at the end of the tunnel metaphor, he made a point to shrug it off. His friend had stayed and waited for the murderer.

"T...Tim..." He managed to choke out. "I'm so sorry..."

His eyes averted to the ground as he treaded the exit of the tunnel. What should have been regarded as sweet freedom from fear instead just now manifested itself as pure cruelty, malice, hatred. He now had to go out and face the world with the blood of another on his hands.

How can I live with myself?

He shook his head, his eyes wandering everywhere but to Tim's form.

"Let's go... Somewhere far away from here. I... I need some time to think..."

That would be the understatement of the century.

And with that, Colin's hand wandered to his arm, rubbing it softly; almost like his mother would to comfort him as a child.

A scared, lost, lonely child, who had just made an honest mistake.

Colin just wanted to go home.

((Colin Falcone continued in Youth and Beauty Brigade.))
Edited by T-Fox, Sep 14 2010, 08:17 PM.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Locked Topic