Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Under The Sea Is Where No One Wants To Be; THREAD CLOSED
Topic Started: Aug 10 2010, 07:10 PM (3,702 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Simon Grey continued from Two Roads Diverged in a Dark Hellhole)

He was out.

He breathed a sweet sigh of relief, rubbing one hand along his forehead. He had not pulled out his flashlight the entire way--had been too afraid of giving away his position. Out in the light it was different; out here, even if he were seen, he was a known quantity, as was his enemy. They would be recognizable to each other, regardless of what was going through their heads.

In there, though...in there they would have been faceless enigmas, people who could have killed him (or he them) easily. He would rather avoid that. But it had made for slow and treacherous going, and the air was thick in there--thicker than even the darkest parts of his conversation with Raidon.

Ray...

But no, save that for later, save that for a time when he could effectually breakdown. For now, he had to be on guard. He had not had time, in the struggle to control his panic, to contemplate his next move. Now that he was free, now that he had returned to sunlight, he could start to think.

He made his way out into the dawning light, eyes closed as a cool sea breeze wrapped around him, filled his lungs with a suffusion of oxygen. Soon enough he felt the shifting of sand (albeit rocky sand--he could feel it jabbing him through his boots) beneath his feet. Here was a place for him to cool his heels, get his shit in order. Here was a place-

Someone yelled. He opened his eyes and froze.

Almost immediately in front of him were two girls, one helping the other. He didn't see the guy who'd yelled--he sounded relatively close by, close enough to be heard over the lulling breath of the ocean--but the girls were considerably closer--no more than twenty, thirty feet away.

...Oh, Christ, I've been walking with my eyes closed. They'll think I'm a creeper. A stalker. A player.

Say something.

SAY SOMETHING.

Simon's lips refused to move.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Space.

Who were these girls? He felt their names like raindrops slipping through the lines of his hand. Carol, maybe? And what was the other, always reminded him of that show he'd watched when he was a kid, with the world made of data and the little monsters that everyone claimed ripped off Pokemon. What had it...

Space.

"Sorry," Simon mumbled, taking a few steps back from the other girl. "I didn't mean to intrude." He took a few more steps back, until he was about twenty feet away, then sat in the sand, crossed his legs, and stared at the ground. He wasn't sure what to do, and the words had sounded so absurd coming out of his mouth. Didn't mean to intrude? They'd been kidnapped by crazed terrorists, threatened with death, and compelled in no uncertain terms to kill each other. Why the fuck was he bothering with niceties?

Habit. Force of habit. Habit keep a person functioning, even...

Even in the most bizarre circumstances, habit remains.

"Heh," he breathed, still looking down. He glanced towards the German guy (no idea what his name was). "You okay?" he asked, in lieu of anything else to say.
Edited by Grim Wolf, Aug 16 2010, 02:16 PM.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As soon as the boy spoke--German, Simon remembered, he was the German one--Simon felt his eyes arch. "Really?" he said. "You, uh...can you really..." But no, there was no good way to pose his question. Either this other man was deluded beyond reason or he was more noble than Simon could believe. "I hope you find her, then."

The girl--the one whose name he wasn't sure of--spoke. Asked them if they were bad people. Simon's lips almost quirked--if he were evil, he would have known better than to answer that question honestly--but then she asked him if his name was Simon.

"Y-yeah," he managed, raking his brain for her name. "And you're..." He trailed off, unable to come up with a name. "Sorry," he said weakly. "I, uh...I don't have much of a head for names." He scratched at the back of his skull, mouth set in a line.

The German spoke once more--said something about wanting to help as many people as he could before he died. Was it all lipservice? Simon wanted to think of himself as a good person, but he didn't know if had such confidence in the others. Well-armed as this pair was--shotgun and an SMG, damned if that wasn't a combo to be feared--there were two hundred students on the island, and how many of those were just...just...

He closed his eyes, the darkness only aiding his recall. The teachers were being gunned down, and in the echo of those bullets he saw a door swing open, saw his father pitch to the floor. He charged forwards, someone hit him, and the teachers were gushing blood and his head was reeling and his sister was on the ground and-

I'm not him.

"If you ladies want to leave, I understand," Simon said, keeping his eyes closed and staying seated as he was, not reaching for the gun in his pocket. "I'd...I'd be glad to help, but the pair of you looks armed enough to be safe."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They didn't seem to mind him coming along. Simon cleared his throat and got to his feet. "Good to...good to find you, Carol," he said, still feeling a little off-kilter. What kind of habits and manners applies to a situation like this? How did you respond to friends who were armed and trapped? How did you respond to people when a ticking time bomb was wrapped around your neck, waiting for the moment when enough people chose peace?

Damned if you do
Damned if you don't
Damned if you will
What if you won't?

Simon got to his feet, followed them as Kari and Carol moved off. No one else seemed to do know what to make of the German--Rein, he thought, having already heard his name, his name was Rein and Simon would have to keep that in mind--though they were all taken aback by his frankness. Honesty. Huh. He was close enough to hear Kari ask where they should go.

"I just left the tunnels, and I wouldn't recommend'em," Simon started, setting his gun and bag down. He unzipped the duffel and pulled out, first, Danya's instruction manual. Without a second thought he tossed it over one shoulder, searching through his stuff. He found the map, and took to examining it. "If we want to use our guns, I'd avoid the forests and all..." he muttered, thinking of hunting trips and the difficult of hitting deer. "But other people would find it harder to hit us too, so there's that..." He was frowning.

"I think there's a warehouse about here," he said, pointing to a place north of the housing. "See that big building? Maybe...I dunno, maybe that's the way to go? If someone's hiding there we can run, and if there's no one there we can take it for ourselves. We watch the entrances..." He was thinking about it in his mind--three guns, all pretty good models. "We watch'em, we'll be pretty safe." He shrugged. "Your call, I guess."

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[Seems fair. Sorry about all the skipping, man. Should we continue this in the Church?]

Simon nodded slowly as Rein spoke. A long move like the one they were planning would leave them exposed frequently; a stop in the church might be a good chance to catch their breath and also deal with anyone who wasn't...wanted...on their little expedition.

Expedition. It struck Simon as odd, all at once; how quickly he'd fallen in with this small group. He didn't know any of them, but then...

Then, he didn't know very many people at this school. Up until this point he'd almost ignored them--gone on a hunting trip with one or two of them, seen a few more at the various volunteering projects he pursued, but in general he'd done his own thing and so had they.

They were now being forced to deal with each other. Maybe that was what Danya was counting on.

People aren't like that.

Right. "Good plan," Simon said too Rein. "We'll have to be careful moving, anyways, and the church seems like a good stopping place." He folded his map back up and put in his bag as Carol talked, seeming a little nervous. Not a fan of big bodies of water, that much Simon had picked up on. He let her vent as she went to grab her stuff, taking time to drink some water--he was thirsty, and a bit hungry, but there wasn't time for that just yet, not with as little food as he had.

"If, uh..." Simon started, not wanting to seem to imposing. "If you'll let me, I'll take point. Kari, you and Carol should probably move together--you've got the most firepower, so..." He glanced towards Rein. "You're, uh...you're not exactly well-armed, man, so I think you should hang back. We encounter trouble, we can at least defend ourselves."

He tossed his water back into the bag, pulled out one of the bags of Skittles he'd brought with him, slipping it into his pocket. He drew his gun, looked back at the others.

He didn't know any of them. Could he help keep them safe? Did he want to help keep them safe?

His eyes darted to his gun, and without a thought he flicked the safety off. "Let's go."

And he began to walk slowly from the beach.

(Simon Grey continued in Missing Those Lost)

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll start us off as soon as the Parish opens up, just so as y'know.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Beach: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply