Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
One of Three
Topic Started: Aug 10 2010, 10:32 AM (6,680 Views)
T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Jaquard "Jackie" Broughten continued from Random Spawns are a Bitch.))

She had been walking forever. Upon finally finding her way out of the swamp (holy shit, only falling one more time! What stellar luck!), the girl had stopped for a bit of a breather. Nearby leaves had done a decent job of letting her wipe the muck off of her exposed skin, and her old shoes had been discarded in favor of the marginally cleaner pair of sneakers that she had stolen from her attacker not a half an hour before. She relished the feeling of not having muck between her toes as she tossed her other sock behind her, wiggling them in the one-size-too-large gift from the heavens. And after that much needed brake, she was off again. A lengthly examination of her map finally told her that she had happened upon the southeastern corner of the swamp, and that a couple of options were open to her from here. She could either go east, through the logging road to the sawmill... She could go south and try to hide in the woods... Or she could go south east to the ranger station and take a shower.

Yeah, there was absolutely no contest. A quick zip of her bag yielded her with nothing but her hacksaw in her hand, and on a thought of traveling light, she jammed the handle of the awkward cutting tool into one of the tiny belt loops that her jeans offered. Not exactly easily accessible on a quick draw, but if she was in that situation, she was fucked anyways.

Keeping in the correct direction wasn't that difficult. There were two different sets of woods on either side of her once she had started going in the right direction, and as such she just had to keep walking, and keep the woods on either side of her. As creepy as the scene was, the light was still filtering through the canopy. Anyone who might have seen her on this trek would think she was paranoid beyond belief the way that her head kept jumping from left to right and back again; however this really was the case. Logic said that someone had scouted out this road and was waiting for people to pass by. However luckily for the girl, the trip itself was fairly uneventful.

Upon noting the small clearing open up in front of her, Jackie's expression turned to glee. The ranger station had to be right there, assuming she went the right way. However a building meant that people would be attracted to the site. And that means that her safety had to come first; the insatiable urge to shower coming last. The hacksaw was pried from her belt loop, and she resumed the low stance that she held while wallowing through the swamp. Although convinced that her smell would give her away at 100 paces, she continued. "Make yourself as small of a target as possible. Maybe they'll think there was a skunk that ran through. As stupid as that sounded, even just in her head, it was her best option for now.

And just then, her caution paid off. There was a girl hiding behind a few trees, peering out over what she assumed was the ranger station. A threat if she was detected, a target if she wasn't. Her eyes darted about the slightly wooded path she was on, and making sure that no branches were underfoot, she made the journey towards the girl, hacksaw in hand.

If all went well, Maria would have no idea what had hit her.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Suddenly, without any real warning, Jackie's target spun around and looked directly at her. There was a momentary pause as the attacker and victim both found themselves stunned. Fear obviously racked the victim's body as noted by the shaking and her wide eyes, her stammering, her posture (even kneeling down, that much was visible). However, the sight of this girl in front of her brought up something in Jackie that she hadn't felt in years herself. Hesitation towards something that she had convinced herself was the proper course of action.

"Er...h-hi."

As much as she knew that looking into this girl's fearful eyes would make what she had (apparently improperly) resolved herself to do, she couldn't help herself. The face was so familiar. Did they have a class together freshman year? Or was this girl just another face in the crowd?

That didn't matter. It couldn't matter.

Don't talk to her. Just do it.

She raised her saw high above her head.

Just do it!

Her eyes clenched shut as her knuckles began to whiten with the hurculean grip that she placed on the handle of the weapon.

DO IT!

The saw swung down hard. Every ounce of weight in the soon to be murderer's body rushing down, the rust speckled blade of her assigned hacksaw whistling as it sliced the air directly above Maria's shoulder and neck. Everything began to flash white in her mind as if God himself were intervening.

---
And just like that, suddenly everything was white. The forest floor, the trees, and even the girl that she was attacking were all gone. There was nothing but coldness. Emptiness. Everything about her was in suspended motion. Her clothes were held in place, the ripples and distortions from the rushing air all around her suspended in time. The hacksaw was held just a hair above where Maria's head should be, and no matter how hard she tugged, she could not dislodge it from the invisible force holding it where it sat. In fact, she couldn't move a muscle. It was as if some higher power held her in her place.

"STAND."

The voice was forceful and stern, rather than angry. The voice was feminine, and the sounds of age dotted the frequency. Suddenly her body relaxed, however as she stood from her location, the saw that she stared at so intently almost seemed to become intangible, her hand more fazing through the stalwart object rather than letting it go. In fact, everything that marked her position did the same. From the long sleeved shirt that she had chosen that morning to the backpack slung on her back, everything material that once held her down now just freed her to stand. And as her clothes fell from her body, standing in their positions as if a statue, shaped by the wind itself, her hands slid to her legs. Not to cover her form, but to hide the scars that she went to such great lengths to hide every single day.

"Do you realize what you have just done?"

A soft mist seemed to wrap around the girl's form, hiding her from even herself.

"I've just done what I must to survive. Who are you? And where are you? Where am I?"

"Hah. All typical questions. You remind me of myself when I was young..."

And just then, a strong wind blew past the confused girl. The mist before her eyes cleared, revealing a woman who resembled the reflection that she saw each morning. Acne scars dotted the older woman's face, and the hair; once a deep brown now hung in various shades of gray. The test of time had obviously not fared this woman well.

"I shall not listen to pitiful arguments from my younger self. So listen."

As if commanded by the divine, her mouth found itself unable to open, her vocal cords unable to process breath.

"Do you not see the cage that stares you in the face every morning of every day? The part of yourself that you repress?"

As if on cue, the mists between the two parted. A small metallic cage, made on all six sides of iron bars typical of a prison cell, hovered about a foot off the ground. Inside was a small child. Appearing to be about four years old, her brown curls and soft freckles made the teenager's eyes go wide.

"Do you remember the last time that you felt love? Sadness? Fear? Any emotion but manufactured happiness and hatred?" The woman's hand indicated to the girl, panting and whimpering softly, a tiny arm dangling from the cage. "You were five. When you repressed your ability to love, to care, to feel. And that part of you has been slowly dying ever since."

The mists of the room themselves seemed to take the form of a droplet of water, surrounding the cage, the entire room turning a tinge of blue. Jackie's expression began to soften as she fell to her knees, unable to pull her eyes from the girl slowly dying in front of her.

"Your greatest mistake was caused because of this. And it was only a matter of time. The life of another had to be given so that you could understand... And this is the price you will pay. The burden that will hold on your shoulders for the rest of your days."

The cage shattered, however the clattering of metal to the floor never came. Instead the pieces fell beyond the surface that Jackie was held by. Down, deeper through the vast abyss until nothing could be seen anymore. The panting, dying girl began to float closer and closer. Jackie's eyes began to water as she put one hand forward, to gently touch the forehead of the true victim here. And as digit made contact with flesh, the entire room slowly began to fade. First the apparition of the future, then the mists and the world itself. Finally the girl herself faded as eyes closed. And without realizing what had happened, her eyes re-opened, her body back in the position it originally lay, the hacksaw gripped firmly in her hands. Tears rolled down her cheeks as the real world slowly began to fade back into focus.

---

The human mind is a wondrous thing. While Jackie's mental breakdown felt as if it were to be counted in minutes, to anyone else watching, Jackie just began to cry while swinging the axe. The mental processes that govern thought had sped themselves up to a speed comparable to that found in REM sleep, just long enough for the girl to have an epiphany in naught but microseconds.

And as time began to return, as reality came back into focus, Jackie was able to force a single thought before the rusted blade, the harbinger of death made it's one and only contact with Maria's jugular.

Oh shit... No... No, What have I done?
Edited by T-Fox, Sep 7 2010, 04:09 PM.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jackie was essentially dead to the outside world. For the first time in her life, she was unable to restrain her emotions in favor of logic. Not a minute ago, she was convinced that killing this girl would bring her one step closer to getting off this island. That no one life was more important than another, so it really didn't matter in the grand scheme who got to leave and who didn't.

But now, here crouched in the leaves, bloody saw in hand, her mind had finally unlocked something which she had hidden away for years.

Her ability... no, her willingness to feel.

The breeze blew around her, picking up her hair and tossing it to and fro. Her mind and her body became two separate entities as she tried to grapple with what had just occurred. A warm stream of tears made their way from her cheek on their journey to the ground. How long had those been there? She couldn't even recall beginning to show her sorrows.

And the worst part was, she didn't still even understand why she was in so much pain.

"Blood..." she croaked out, her voice dry and hoarse with regret. "on my hands..."

"...The life of another had to be given so that you could understand... And this is the price you will pay... The burden that will hold on your shoulders for the rest of your days..."

That voice. That woman. The scene came rushing back. A sob escaped her lips as she remembered the hallucination that was just a moment too late.

A small wretch.

Why does this hurt so much... Why?!

Her hands fell to the ground, breathing heavily through the sobs, raising herself to her knees.

Another wretch.

Why is this happening?

This newly dubbed killer's guts erupted as they had a reaction of their own. Everything that remained in her came back out of her mouth, as each and every different part; system in her body slowly began to shut down for the time being.

A sharp breath, and a gasp.

I'm a murderer...

I'm a killer...

On her hands and knees, she pulled herself to the nearest tree a few feet away. She could not stand to see that poor girl lying there like that. Curling up against the strong, stalwart trunk, she let the tears silently fall as she slipped into a coma of depression, the murder weapon still lying next to the fallen Angel's form.

Maria was the one going to heaven. Jackie was the one going to hell.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
As much as she didn't want to move, she knew she had to.

As much as she didn't want to face her actions, there was nothing she could do. She knew she would have to live with what she had done and move on. That didn't mean that she had to repeat the same mistakes again. She didn't even know her victims name, but it's something that she couldn't let get to her.

If she felt sorry for herself, she was going to die. But her arms wouldn't respond to her mind. As emotion and understanding began to mix with fear, she wanted to run and hide. That's exactly what she would do. Hide from everyone else. She couldn't bring herself to kill ever again, but she did not want to die. She couldn't die. Not here, not on this island. Maybe if she could make it to the last two she could bring herself to fight for her life. But not this. She realized now that this wasn't right. That wasn't fair to anyone involved. And she had been the one who had done it.

She couldn't face anyone else. At least not right now.

After a small eternity, her head finally raised and surveyed the scene which she had just wrought. The crimson stained earth, surrounding the body of the angel which she had just sent home. The trees and bushes, leave straining in the breeze... and the bile which sat on the ground not feet away from her. The strange smell that the bile and the death combined to assault her nose. The feeling of the dirt, grass, and tears caked to her body. Her head swiveled, just in time to catalog the steel tip of a shotgun disappearing behind a bush.

And her strained voice forced words. However, to anyone who knew her, she sounded absolutely nothing like before. The harsh, cold feeling you got when she spoke in the real world was replaced with a softness. A compassion. An understanding that she had never had before.

"I... I see you back there." Her throat was dry and constricted, and her nose stuffed. But even through the sounds of sick, she still sounded a world different than she ever had before. "I'm not... not armed. Anymore..." She trailed off for a second, still unable and unwilling to move. "If you shot me where I sit, I would honestly understand. I kind of deserve it. But... Let me teach you something I just had to learn the hard way. You'll have to live with that kill for the rest of your life. It will change you. And whether or not you think it will... It will hurt."

She sighed, the pain of what she was about to say actually surfacing in her throat and her chest. "She didn't deserve this. Life wasted... I just wish I had realized sooner. I'm so sorry..." No longer was she staring at the bush behind which her potential assailant sat. No, her eyes had wandered back to Maria's body. She needed to say her apologies to Maria. "You'll go to heaven..." Yet another tear forged down her cheek. She pushed herself to her knees, not bothering to fix her hoodie, it haphazardly wrapping itself around her form.

"I'm sorry."
Edited by T-Fox, Sep 27 2010, 09:35 AM.

Memories of those past:

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jackie hadn't expected a warm welcome from these apparent friends of the person she had slain in cold blood. Hell, she had even expected a chest or face full of buckshot from that shotgun that was pointed so unceremoniously at her. Two of them spun and fled in pure terror. However, one of them stood their ground. For a moment. His face looked familiar somehow.

"Something quick... You just need to suffer."

Her mind began to shut out the words that just rended her soul asunder.

"You have any sense - you'll stay here or fuck off in that direction or something..."

"I just want to forget..."

The tears began to fall. She didn't hear them all spin on their heels and run away from her, fearful that she would attack them as well. She didn't notice the others leave from the ranger station not a tenth of a mile away. The crash of the window, the sound of leaves and branches breaking underfoot her peers, her classmates.

She was alone with the body of a fallen, broken angel.

Maria Santiago.

She couldn't stay here. She had to go somewhere that people wouldn't recognize her. She had to go somewhere that she could be alone for a while. Her mind was racing with so many feelings that she had never felt with such intensity before. Anger, fear, regret, sadness, depression... She needed to clear her mind.

She knew she regretted killing Maria. She knew that she could never do that again. Beyond that, she had no idea what to do. She didn't have a plan, and couldn't think to create one. She didn't have a soul anymore, that had spilled into the earth with Maria's blood.

She didn't know who she was anymore. And so she turned. And she began walking, in a straight line. The farther she could get away from this place, the better.

It was time for her to finally learn for the first time in her life how to truly be a good person. How to feel, how to care, how to love.

((Jaquard "Jackie" Broughten" continued in Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows....))
Edited by T-Fox, Oct 6 2010, 07:28 PM.

Memories of those past:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Ranger Station · Next Topic »
Add Reply