Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The 8-Ball Knows
Topic Started: Aug 9 2010, 02:59 AM (1,991 Views)
Unknown Kadath
Member Avatar
I'm a wizard and that looks fucked up.
[ *  * ]
Saul. Saul! Get off the couch and sleep in your room! And turn off the TV, too! You'll rot your brain staying up to watch that tripe!

"Yeah... yeah... you stupid bi-"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy 141: Fetteralf, Saul - START

Saul's eyes darted open. Before him stood the base of a fairly large sized mountain. He then squinted, the early morning light peeking over the mountainside. He closed his lids, the darkness soothing his eyesight. He felt the rough bark of the tree he was leaning against digging into his back.

A tree? Why am I outside? Weren't we on the bus to...

His eyes shot open, the memories seeping back. He was on the bus, when suddenly...

The dam in his mind collapsed, the memories flooding back in a torrent. He stood up quickly, intending to get a move on and cover some ground before anyone came.

"SHIT!" he yelped as his sudden action send the top of his head crashing into a low hanging branch. He sunk to his knees, reaching his right hand to his head and leaning forward on his left. But, his left hand landed on the corner of a fabric bag, slipping at a weird angle. He looked, seeing a pack where his hand was.

He narrowed his lids, shooting the bag a mean glare. They said there's a weapon in there. A weapon I have to use... to kill my friends?

He hit the bag aside, moving it about a foot and a half. He removed his toque, the black, familiar stitching almost comforting. He clenched his hand around it. I won't be going home. Not unless I... kill everyone...

The thought disgusted him to no end. Saul was by no means a pacifist, but the thought of taking another life appalled him. Surely, everyone must be thinking the same. He knew it. Unless...

Unless they're willing to kill me, too.

He mulled over the concept. This WAS Survival of the Fittest. And maybe some of the... less desirable types would take advantage over youth of today's avoidance of violence. Only the fittest survive. Only the ones with the will to live. Only...

"The predators."

He thought back to his science classes. In the animal kingdom, the carnivores usually hunted the weaker, more peaceful herbivores. But some herbivores have defense mechanisms. The gazelle's speed, the turtles shell, and the butterfly's wings.

I'm not a predator, but I'm sure as fuck not going to be a fucking defenseless herbivore.

He looked to the bag to his left. He clenched his teeth, taking a hold of the strap and pulling it towards himself.

Let's see my defense mechanism.

Digging past the food, map, and other contents, he finally wrapped his hand around a solid, circular object.

A baseball? What kind of...

Then, he noticed a flat point in the otherwise flawless sphere. He gulped, "Don't tell me..." he muttered as he pulled his hand out.

He found himself holding an 8-ball. Not any 8-ball, but one of the novelty fortune-telling 8-balls you find in joke shops. "Fuck me sideways." he grumbled, his resolve damaged severely.

He turned it over, peering into the opaque purple fluid on the inside. He saw the corner of the most important piece pressing against the small plastic window. Suddenly, he began shaking it. "Magic 8-ball. Am I fucked?"

He stopped and peered back into the depths of the sphere. Soon, the middle bit slid into place, the words becoming clear.

SIGNS POINT TO YES

His eye twitched. He stood up, holding the ball in his shaking hand. Then, he gripped it mightily, and flung it to the ground, sending it to the earth with a THUMP! He clenched his now empty hands into a fist, as tears began to slowly cloud his vision.

"F-f-ffffuuuck..."

DrRoy: UPDATE THAT SPREADSHEET LIKE A RED HEADED STEPCHILD

(9:08:15 PM) Acidic: I vomited on my cat when he pissed me off once

Little Boy: THE MOST INTERGALACTIC OF TERRORBONERS.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unknown Kadath
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Not long after throwing his 'weapon' to the ground, Saul heard a familiar voice. He quickly wiped his eyes with his sleeves before looking towards the source of the voice. I can't show weakness. If it's a predator, the will surely take advantage of me.

His dampened eyes shifting, his gaze moved towards a form he recognized. A smile was raised from his lips, his arms dropping from his face. "Garry!" he said, fully turning his body towards his friend. Thank God, he thought, if he had been a player, I would have been dog food.

After a few minutes of conversation one would think would come up in the situation ('You okay?', 'Yeah, I'm scared too.', etc.), he heard another voice to his side. He snapped his head to the source of the voice, having not expected it. Oh shit! I didn't even see them come close!

His gaze on her, he recognized the new person, who had introduced herself as Cyrille. He gave a small smile, trying to reassure the small, scared-looking girl. "I... don't see why not," he said , choosing his words with caution, "You can join us until you find whoever you're looking for."

His mind flicked through it's contents, searching for any information he had heard about her. Soon, he remembered hearing about a girl, Violetta Lindsberg, that was dating another girl named Cyrille. It wasn't much, but he knew she must be looking for her girlfriend. That'll be the first thing, he thought, lovers will try to find each other. Even in the situation, they can find solace in the arms of the people they love.

After an awkward moment of silence, he turned to Garry, "What do you think, Gar?"

Offline Profile Goto Top

Unknown Kadath
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Saul jumped to the sound of the snapping branch. Quickly scooping up the 8-ball and clenching it in his hand, knuckles whitening. It may be a ball of plastic, but it's hard enough to at least daze someone, he thought.

His grip lessened as he saw a young girl, naming herself Miranda, step from the treeline. He sighed in relief, glad that it wasn't someone who would attack them... for now. He slipped the 8-ball into the pocket of his hoodie and replaced his toque. He said nothing during the exchange, only going to his bag and digging out the map and compass. I don't have to worry about myself anymore. There are more people with me, now. The least I can do is find out where we are and maybe find a safe place for now... if there is such a thing.

He checked his compass, moving until he faced in a northern direction. Then, he looked at the map, finding the square with the mountain in it. Itching at his neck above the collar, which he had hardly noticed until now, he turned about, facing them, "Hey, lovelies. I'd hate to interrupt the meet and greet, but I think we should get a move on, at least for now. We're lucky that we've only met us, and it might be that way for a while, but when someone who is playing finds us, I don't know if any of us are up to killing a person."

Offline Profile Goto Top

Unknown Kadath
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Saul blinked, the sudden questions from the three of them catching him off-guard. Stupid, he thought, of course they'll ask you. You're the one that mentioned it.

He looked back at his map, scanning the gridded document. He spotted a few place where one could get inside. Also, he saw markings indicating mines and tunnels. He chewed his lower lip, mulling it over. He looked back up, sighing, and said, "There's lots of places we could go. While I agree with Cyrille of the dangers of being in a building, I think we would be at a bigger disadvantage in the mines or tunnels. The way I see it, it's low-lights, it'd be easier to lose one another, and it would be easy to sneak up on one of us. If we take a building, we do run the risk of finding other people, but at least we'd have a better chance of defending ourselves."

He looked back to the map, scanning the places one could go inside. "Well," he continued, "There looks to be a few places we could go." He pulled off his hat again, scratching the back of his head.

"Looks like there's a ranger station close to here. For now, let's hole up there."

He raised his eyes to his newly found companions, putting on a determined face. If he couldn't be brave for himself, he could at least pretend to be, if only to give them some hope.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Unknown Kadath
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Saul half listened to Garry and Miranda, kneeling to zip up his bag. He slipped his hand into his hoodie pocket, touching the hard plastic of the ball. He decided to keep it on there, thinking that any protection is better than none. He stood back up, slinging the bag over his shoulder. He slipped his hat over his head again.

He looked around, glancing at the compass to help him find his direction. He hitched the bag up, beginning to walk there. He stopped at the closest tree, turning around and leaning against it, feeling the rough bark through his hoodie and shirt. "Let's get a move on, my dear companions. If we go now, we should be able to make good time. We're not too far off, from what I can tell."

Once they all seemed ready to head off, he turned around and began walking again, leaving the start of his time on the island behind.

((Saul Fetteralf continued in Extinguishing the Light of the Future))
Edited by Unknown Kadath, Aug 19 2010, 12:49 AM.

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Mountain · Next Topic »
Locked Topic