Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The Dilemma; [G102] Start!
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 10:53 PM (3,794 Views)
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Light.

Heat.

Dirt.

Dry.

Silence....

[G102] Janet Binachi - START!

Janet rolled over and opened her eyes. Immediately, she regretted it. The sun was harsh up above, in a clear blue sky. Not a cloud anywhere in her field of view. She closed her eyes again and tried to think. It was hard- her head was pounding and her mouth tasted of dryness. The smell of dirt and grass was all around her. The only sound was the occasional rustling wind. She felt a shiver of fear go down her spine. Wherever she was, it felt huge. She wasn't usually Agoraphobic, but this place felt even bigger than it was because of the silence. She had heard (and laughed) at the phrase "deafening silence," but this place embodied it.

'Think. What happened?'

She remembered the bus. Getting on the bus. It had been hot then, so hot she had fallen asleep. She remembered the Math teacher giving the speech... but that was before she slept. There was something trying to enter her thoughts. An auditorium. With a jolt, Janet opened her eyes again, gasping to herself. The auditorium, the movie, the voice... that awful voice.... Red. She remembered the red the most, the red that burst from the teachers when they were... were.... She gagged slightly, the memory burning itself permanently into her neural pathways. The sound of the gunfire. It was so loud, even in her memory. She had been sitting near the front. She looked down at herself and nearly threw up. There was... red on her pants, her socks, her shoes. Red all around. She turned away, gagging again. She... she really was....

She had seen the show before, of course. Nearly everybody had. Survival Of The Fittest. She had wrote a report on the psychology involved just a year before. She didn't watch it religiously like some other people did. She had assumed that it was staged. But there was no denying that voice. The voice of the host. The voice of... Danya.... The red, as well. She couldn't forget it. It was ubiquitous on the show, as nearly everyone was bathed in red. She reached a hand to her throat and hesitated. There was still one chance. One last hope that this was a horrible dream. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and placed her hand firmly on the collar.

"N-no.... No. This can't be happening to me, this isn't supposed to happen to me oh god oh god why?" she said, the words coming out before she could get a hold of herself. It was true. She was on the show. Oh god.... What would her parents say? What would they do? Would her Dad call Grampa Louie? Of course he would. What did she think Grampa Louie could do? Even at the height of the Mafia's strength, they wouldn't have been able to touch Danya. If the government had failed for three years, why did she think her Grampa would succeed? Rescue... would not be coming.

So... what did that leave her? She counted three options. One, try and escape. That would almost certainly not work. Two, kill herself or let someone kill her. That was also not an option. That would be giving up, and the Binachi family did not give up. Thus.... Only one option. She had to survive. She would have to be the Fittest. With strengthened resolve, Janet stood up and looked around.

Immediately, the scale of the place she was in struck her. She could see, in the far distance, a forest. All around her was brambles, with clumps of grass poking up. She had woken up near a stump. She could see the tree that had once occupied the stump lying about twenty feet away. The sun was unbearable, beating down on her like a huge bonfire at her back. She felt the feeling of isolation again, staring into the vast emptiness of the area. The lack of sound pushed against her ears, which filled the silence with a slight buzzing. A fly disturbed the silence slightly as it went about doing whatever it was flies did. It's pathetic buzzing seemed to be swallowed up by the huge silence surrounding her. She took a deep breath and began looking around. She had been promised a daypack and a weapon.

It wasn't too hard to find. Whoever had placed her here had a sense of humor, it seemed. Her weapon had been securely driven into the ground, and her daypack had been hung on the... blade? She walked over to it and pulled the bag off the hockey stick. It was a little heavy, but nowhere near heavy enough to be containing enough food. She opened it and looked in, sifting through things with a heavy heart. Her choker hadn't been around her neck, and her searching indicated that it wasn't in here. Then she remembered.

She had left it at home to avoid losing it. It was important to her. Precious. Her grandfather had given it to her as a birthday present on her sixth birthday. She had worn it everyday since, proud to have it. Of course, when she was six it had been very loose. Her mother had had to shorten it with temporary fabric glue. It had nearly started to fade by now, and would probably be dark gray by the time Janet was considering marriage. She felt herself choke up and forced the emotion away. Plenty of time to be upset later. For now, she needed to move. The extra clothes were nice, but not necessary. While it was gross, she could get by just wearing what she was now. There would be places to wash her clothes somewhere on the island, rivers or something. She would, of course, change her panties every day. To do otherwise would just be gross. Her change of clothes would be saved for possible utilization as cast material and bandages.

With everything set and organized in her mind, Janet grabbed the hockey stick and yanked. She completely failed to pull it out of the ground with one hand. Grumbling, she turned and pulled again, falling over when it came out of the ground this time. She looked to the sky and screamed, "I hate this stupid island!"

Whoops. Bad idea.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet nearly jumped out of her skin as she heard the voice behind her. She spun onto her knees and stood up, hockey stick held across her body as protection. She found herself staring at one of the basketball players. Some name that started with R. Ryan? No.... Robert. Not the gimp one, obviously. Her heart sank as she looked up into his eyes. The boy was huge. She spun the hockey stick in her hands and took a cautious step back.

"No problem. No issue at all," Janet said cautiously, moving back again. She felt her leg hit the stump and she stopped, keeping her breath level. The ankles would be a good target if the man should make a move. Or the neck. She wasn't certain as to the strength of the wood in the hockey stick, but she did know that it would be able to get one or two good strikes in.

"Do you have a... problem?"
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet felt her heart sink. Robert definitely knew more about fighting than she did, which wasn't hard considering she knew very little more than what she had observed while observing a fight between two jocks, which would be extraordinarily unhelpful here. Time for a different plan.

She allowed fear to slide into her voice as she took what she hoped was a surreptitious step to the side and asked, "W-what do you want from me?"

She hated that sound in her voice. Fear was not an emotion becoming a Binachi. If (and it was a big if) she lived through it, she would never be able to look her granddad in the eye again. She let her grip on the stick loosen slightly. She knew what he was after. It was the reason he was bulkier and the reason he was threatening her with fists. It was also the reason he wouldn't be able to catch her when she ran. He hadn't gotten a weapon. It seemed, to her untrained eye, that he had gotten something like a bullet proof vest. Which was mostly useless against anything that wasn't bullets, but she doubted Robert knew that.

She swallowed and said, "P-please don't hurt me...."
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet looked down at her weapon, keeping up the frightened girl act. Obviously, giving it to him didn't feature strongly on her list of plans. It was her weapon, and she wouldn't get another one unless she made it herself. And she had really sucked at arts and crafts. She looked back up at Robert, fear still showing in her eyes.

"M-my weapon? B-but... I need it," she said, backing up slightly.

She needed to goad him into moving before she could do anything. She really didn't want to strike at him, but he was likely to be able to keep up with her if she just took off. She was fast and she could go for a while, but he was an athlete. He was almost certainly in better shape than she was, and he would almost certainly be able to catch her in this plain. If she made it to the forest, the story was different. Her build was more slim than his, so she could more easily avoid getting caught up on trees. Her best option would be to strike at him, in the ankle or the knee or the head, so that he would be slowed down slightly.

"I-I'm not going to give it to you," she said, stepping back in a more obvious way.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet nearly laughed at that. It made so little sense. She stopped acting like a frightened child to get haughty, a favorite pastime.

"If you were just going to give up when I ran, what was the point of trying to intimidate me into giving you it? Of course I'm not going to fight you, you're nearly twice my weight and definitely stronger than me. Even with the Hockey Stick to amplify my strength, you're more likely to beat me than I am to beat you," she said, straightening her back so she no longer looked like she was cowering. The time to act was over. Now was the time to act! ... Wait. That wasn't right.

She pushed that distraction out of her mind and moved back another foot. Now she judged that she was out of Robert's lunging range, which put her at a slight advantage.

"If you're not going to commit, you should leave. You will not be able to take this from me by force."
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Mild GMing approved by Yossarian.))

Janet was more than a little surprised when Robert charged her. She felt herself move, though she wasn't sure who had told her to do that as she settled her weight back slightly and held the hockey stick out, bracing it against her hip with the blade. Robert ran into the other end, which caught him in the stomach. The stick bent impressively, pushing against Janet and placing her on her rump for the second time in minutes. This time, the air was knocked out of her as the stick pushed into her diaphragm.

Janet sat on the ground, stunned. She felt her breath returning quickly, although her vision was mildly blurry from the hit. Unsurprisingly, 250 pounds of muscle hurts when it hits you, even if the weight is sent through a hockey stick.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet's attention was redirected from being stunned when Robert's hand closed on her leg. It felt like it was in a vice, but she still managed to keep the hockey stick out of the way of his grasp. She snarled slightly, twisting in his grasp.

"Let go of me!" she screamed, kicking her free leg toward Robert's shoulder. She wasn't going to kick him in the face, as it would cause too much damage. An attacker or not, hurting people was not something Janet enjoyed doing.

And then a new variable entered the equation. Tobias, who had managed to avoid most of Janet's attentions concerning psychology. He seemed to her to be a rather straight forward individual, who had just threatened to ram a gun up Robert's ass sideways. A part of her wondered if he realized what they were actually knee deep in. He obviously wasn't a game player, or he would have just taken a shot at Robert. It wouldn't have mattered who was hit, after all. But the nearly comical threat revealed another part of the boy's psychology. It revealed that he didn't take the game very seriously. She filed that away in the part of her brain dedicated to useful information.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet stared at Tobias. He honestly believed somebody was going to come rescue them? Had he never seen the show before? How had he not come into contact with it in the three years it was running? She shook her head and stood, slinking out of the line of fire as surreptitiously as possible. Possibly, although unlikely, Robert would charge Tobias in the interest of taking his weapon instead. More likely, although still unlikely, would be Robert charging and Tobias shooting him. She had heard from her Uncle Charlie about how a vest only stopped the bullet from hitting the body and damaging organs, but force would still be transferred to the body. Presumably, Tobias would shoot him in the center of mass, which would at least slow Robert down slightly.

The most likely option was Robert and Tobias just facing off until one of them left. This was the option Janet liked the least. She knew that both of them would need to be eliminated eventually, but she would prefer not to get her hands dirty. That being said, she wasn't planning to stick around after whichever course of action took place. She primed herself to bolt. The hockey stick would slow her down slightly, especially once she hit the forest, but that hardly mattered.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Janet was... a little surprised that this was the course of action taken. Tobias seemed to be a more trusting fellow than she had anticipated. She knew that, even if she didn't know SOTF was real, she would be suspicious of somebody who was just accosting a supposedly defenseless female. Even if the guy was twice her size, the gun would be quite the force multiplier.

A part of her, a really big part of her, wanted to run. Run now, run fast, and get away before the temporary peace was broken. Get to the forest, set up an ambush or something. The only way to live was to play the game. And playing the game meant... killing her classmates. Unbidden, faces flashed in her mind. She... didn't have a lot of friends, but among them she counted Jay Holland, Alexander Campbell, and maybe even Hayley Kelly, although she wasn't sure about her boyfriend. He seemed like the sort of person who crushed beer cans against his forehead. The point was... she wasn't certain she would be able to just... kill them. Especially not Jay. She liked Jay.

Still, she ignored that part of her that said run for just a little longer. It would serve her purposes well if Robert did what she almost expected him to and tried to snatch the gun. Somebody would get shot, hopefully not Tobias. Guilt would probably drive him to run, which would give her a chance to loot Robert and take his vest. The vest was key to winning here, at least until she got a gun of her own. It evened the playing field that little bit that would give the ruthless and intelligent a better chance of survival. The Fittest isn't always the strongest. Sometimes the fittest happens to be the person who knows how best to use what she has.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
And that was her cue. Without even glancing back for a moment, Janet bolted for the forest in the distance. She didn't watch the outcome of the fight, nor did she care. She hoped somebody got shot, and the part of her that wanted to survive the most said that it hoped the one who got shot would be Robert instead of Tobias. If it was Robert who was shot, and he wasn't shot in the center of mass, the bullet proof vest would be a useful prize, if she could get back here and get it before someone else took it.

She glanced back only once, when she was cresting a hill a distance away. She could see them still scrabbling on the ground, probably for the gun. She slowed down slightly, pacing herself as she continued to the forest.

((Girl 102 continued elsewhere.))
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Locked Topic