Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Extinguishing the Light of the Future; B008 - Peter McCue: Start
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 06:52 PM (3,649 Views)
T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((B008 - Peter McCue: Start))

Everything hurt. That was the first and only thing that Mr. McCue felt as he slowly began to come to. His back hurt, his neck was stiff, his arms were achy, and it felt like he had a ton and a half strapped to his shoulders.

Oh wait. That last one was actually the case. Being an extremely small boy, Peter wasn't the best equipped to carry large amounts. Granted; he was an eagle scout, so it wasn't like he hadn't carried the occasional over-sized day pack in his time. However with recent finals he was out of practice, and out of shape.

Not a good thing.

He groaned, opening his eyes, rolling on to his aching arms. At least he thought he had opened his eyes. Even with the lids pulled right back, everything was black. He squinted, wondering if maybe he had somehow gone blind since he had gotten knocked out on the bus.

The boy spent no time attempting to recollect what had occurred. He knew all too well. He was on Survival of the Fittest, one of the most atrocious creations known to man. He was expected to kill his peers, his friends, his classmates. His thoughts wandered to Ridley and Luke. Were they alive? They were his only two true friends in the admittedly massive Bayview senior class. And while karmic retribution sounded nice on a level, his head shook vigorously in an attempt to waive those thoughts from his head. A low whisper emanated from his throat, as he brought a dirty fingertip to touch the metallic band on his neck. "I won't stoop to their level... I'll act for what is right." Cliche, without a doubt, and he could never fathom the hundreds who had died sticking by that promise; or lost their minds attempting to keep it so. However he was here, he was in hell, and he could do this the way he wanted.

He was getting out.

He felt the duffel on the ground right next to them. At least this Danya character had been courteous enough to leave him close enough to find his supplies, even if he did have to dump him in a tunnel.

Wait! Is my stuff still here? He reached to his pockets, finding his house keys readily available. Yes!

That was the other nice thing about being an Eagle Scout. He was always prepared, even if he didn't know the situation he was getting into. He knew he was camping, so his backpack already contained his small first aid kit, flashlight, clothes, canteen, and myriad of other things. Survival off of the land wouldn't be an issue, assuming the bag that was making it hard to sit up was his own. However for now, an examination of the duffel was in order. A small light clicked to life from the end of his key chain, a small emergency light attached. Unfortunately, the keys jingled as he adjusted them, his eyes going wide.

I'd better be alone...

Disregarding the noise as lost in the echoes of the tunnel, he flashed the light around. The walls were dank and disgusting, but there was no sign of anyone else. And most importantly, he didn't see anywhere to hide.

To anyone watching, it would appear as if the light had been drunkenly dancing to bad techno. Peter's subconscious was doing it's best to convince him that he was calm and collected, but in reality his body was shaking. His observation of the area was truly haphazard, and the light wouldn't keep still. However he did indeed do a quick check of his new bag, noticing a small watch in the very bottom, almost as if one of the terrorist had accidentally dropped it into the bag during packing time. However he shrugged it off, continuing to rifle through the bag. First things first, inventory. Then, shoot for somewhere that didn't require artificial light to see.

Sadly, that was probably a better plan than most of his classmates had.
Edited by T-Fox, Aug 13 2010, 09:33 PM.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The school's student body "Genius", the sixteen year old senior, was quite the oblivious person. A normal trait for most people that intelligent though. Stereotypically, it's lots of book smarts, no common sense, oblivious to the world. However, the soft, almost haunting wailing of a female voice reverberating through the tunnel he could hardly see made him snap his head from the new day pack that was present. Anyone who had come here to "see the sights" would assume it was a haunted tunnel. 'The souls of the dead miners who crafted this blah blah blah...' Peter was a boy of Science. Ghosts weren't real.

This had to be someone else from Bayview.

Someone scared. Lonely.

A quick zip echoed softly, although it may have just been his imagination that it was even loud enough to reach the walls. His flashlight turned towards the source, even though he still couldn't see the girl. Some straining allowed him to make out the odd word here and there.

"...you left me the teddy bear- you remember? Mr. Theodore..."

A sob choked out the rest of her sentence. Was she praying? Either way, the poor girl sounded terrified. It was almost as if she was saying her final goodbyes already. How many people were actually doing that right now? Making piece with their God, convinced that this was the end of their life?

"...you, Dad- I miss you so much. I wish you could have been there for all those years."

She was praying... to her father? Or talking to him on the Cameras? He sat and listened intently, quietly hoisting his bags to his back, clipping his own personal day pack around his waist. I don't want to interrupt her... I'd want to be left alone while I said my goodbyes too...

And so he quietly listened. He waited until the words became sobs, the sobs eventually becoming choked, the chokes eventually becoming whimpers, gently fading away through the tunnel, only to be heard by the two of them. It was then that he stood. He pocked the flash light and blinked, attempting to adjust his eyes.

And then he called out in the most sympathetic voice he could muster. He didn't want this poor girl to be afraid.

"Hello?" What would he say to her? He had never been good at talking when he was in relaxed situations, never mind this!

"I... I'm Peter. I don't know who you are... You sound scared though." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, steeling himself to make his own proposition, and awaiting the response it brought.

"I don't want to play this game. I want to go home, just like you do." His words were genuine, sincere. A tear rolled down his cheek as reality began to hit him. What if Ridley and Luke were already dead? What if someone had shot them while they were asleep?

"W...Would you like to be friends?" His words echoed, almost as if taunting him with the depravity and morbidity of the question that he asked. Friends... They were all supposed to be dead in less than two weeks time.

Supposed to was the key word though. "Let's get out of this tunnel and find somewhere a little brighter." He hoped the double entendre wasn't lost on the poor terrified girl, although even just in the literal it should seem good enough. He really just wanted to go home. And he wanted to save people along the way. Danya had said that was impossible. That "better people than you had tried."

Danya didn't know who he was messing with.
Edited by T-Fox, Aug 13 2010, 09:33 PM.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
His eyes were closed when he finished his little speech about trying to go home. He really did have every intention of getting off the island without killing anyone; and not by himself either. He just had absolutely no idea how he was going to accomplish that. He wanted nothing more than to make it home... See his mom again, no matter how much he was normally at odds with the woman... His lower lip sucked in as he tried to hold back the tears. The girl in front of him needed to see him at his strongest. Not his weakest. If there was to be any hope of escape, whether or not it were possible, he needed to be strong. And it almost appeared to be a battle he could win.

Until he felt a warm, soft pair of arms drape around him. A body press against his own frail form. He took a sharp, pained breath, his lungs filling with the dank tunnel air; his cheeks begin to turn a bright scarlet. A choked sob escaped his tightening throat as he finally lost that composure he was clinging oh so tightly to. And instead, he clung to something different. Something a little more real, something that some on the island would actually call worth clinging to. His arms wrapped themselves around her waist, interlocking over each other behind her back. Tears began to roll down his cheeks in earnest, and his head fell to her shoulder. And he wept. He wept for his parents, and what they must be going through. He wept for his friends, for his teachers. He wept for those who had passed in the previous versions of the game, and he even wept for Adam Dodd and Bryan Calvert; even though he didn't know who they were. Pure, raw emotion flowed from his visage as he sobbed. The absolute last person to cross his mind was himself. The fact that he might die on this rock, the fact he would feel pain beyond belief. And it felt like the tears would never end.

Fortunately for her though, they finally did. He looked up, his own eyes locking with her soft visage.

"Peter, I'm Kaitlin Anderheim. Thank you... thank you so much. For being so kind. And yes, lets be friends. You'll be my first friend in the school, actually."

He reluctantly let his arms part, watching her step back. His awkward grin met her genuine one, and his eyes went wide as he realized exactly what had just happened. He glanced at the floor, his feet stumbling, betraying him as he tried to follow her example and take a step back as well.

"Let's get out of here, and lets find some other good people. We'll find a way off this island, and we'll go home. We can stop at Carvel's on the way- ice cream sundaes on me."

He only nodded at first, before he realized exactly how little the lighting situation in the tunnel actually portrayed. "Yeah, that sounds good." His feet scuffed on the dirt as his fingers slid in and out of the loop of his backpack. For a moment, he had almost forgotten about the island, the pressure on him involved in talking to someone he'd never spoken to before filling his mental capacity. Again, unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and as he looked over his shoulder reality rushed back to him.

Right. Survival of the Fittest. His eyes closed as he sighed hard, gripping the daypack dangling from his fingers tight. He really couldn't think of a single thing to say to this girl without boring her, or annoying her, or sounding like a complete and total dweeb. So he went with the best option out of those available to him.

"Let's get the heck out of here."

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Breaking post order to avoid inactivity.))

"Umm..." Called out from behind a corner, the terrible lighting of this man made cavern really reaking havoc with all of his senses. "If you're searching for more people looking to get away from this rock, then you have already found one." Not a moment before, the boy was enthralled by the presence of another, someone willing to be nice to someone as awkward as he. He felt a smidge of heroism, having just made a promise to his new friend that he would save her from this abomination. Now he had just jumped about a foot back out of pants shitting terror. Thankfully for him, the less than ideal lighting concealed his contorted, fearful face.

A bright flash of light shone onto the tunnel wall opposite the pair, before whipping around the corner to blind the already distraught Senior.

"My name is Max. Maxwell Crowe. I got lost in those tunnels before hearing your voices. Sorry for eavesdropping you. I needed to know beforehand if none of you is a player. Oh, and about this...

His arm went to shield his eyes from the bright light. Through the sudden shift in brightness, Peter could barely see Max's face, nevermind whatever he happened to be indicating to. About to open his mouth to respond, he was cut off by two things, one directly after the other.

"I guess, I was the lucky one to draw a gun. I don't plan to use this anytime soon... But it's better to have one rather than not..."

And then as soon as Max's finished explaining away his randomly assigned weapon, another set of voices echoed down the cavern. His eyes went wide at both of these revelations. Not only did this new kid have a gun, there were more people on the way. There was a decision that needed to be made, right then and there. They needed to run, but could he trust Max not to shoot them in the back?

And for the second time in twenty minutes, he mentally slapped himself. No one would actually play this game for the sake of playing the game. The only people who would actually fight were those who did it out of fear, out of the tensions that this situation naturally built. The fact that Max was already calm meant that he wouldn't randomly shoot later; no one in Bayview was THAT depraved. At least he seriously hoped.

"M..Max, I'm Peter. I just... We really need to get out of here, there's more people coming. I don't wanna chance getting into a scrape." With the light still shone on him, he indicated the opposite direction. "I can't see the map at all like this, but we can take care of that once we can't hear them anymore." He let out an involuntary, nervous chuckle, looking around at his companions expectantly. "We need to really go." While he couldn't put into words why, he hoped that his friends would see the reason for the fear behind meeting this second group.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Breaking post order yet again for inactivity...))

A soft sigh eminated from the boy as he shuffled both quickly and quietly towards the site of his bags. The rations he had selected for the trip were not meager by any definition of the word, and the addition of the second backpack would make carrying everything difficult farther down the road. And while seeing to re-organize his belongings was impossible in the current setting, Peter was confident that he could re-pack everything into a single bag at some point down the road. However this was not the time to focus on ease of travel, and more the time to focus on getting away silently, and with haste.

His voice was hushed and urgent, yet the tone behind the whisper was one of genuine concern. "Max, Katlin, we have to move now." A soft zip echoed through the tunnels as he prepared his personal bag to move. A quick tug, and the hefty bag rested atop his shoulders yet again; although this time it wasn't the thing pinning him into the dust. Sliding the full flashlight from the bag he was provided by their oh so gracious hosts, he flicked it on; making a point to point the source of light away from the newcomers. "Let's go this way." The map would be utterly useless, even if they could see it. The best thing to do would be to stumble around until they saw the break of dawn filtering through a way out.

Light steps echoed through the tunnels as the boy marched cautiously in circles, slowly making his way towards his first clear, attainable goal.

He only hoped his new friends didn't get left behind.

((Peter McCue Continued in Some Fantastic.))
Edited by T-Fox, Sep 14 2010, 08:18 PM.

Memories of those past:

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · The Tunnels · Next Topic »
Locked Topic