Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Accidental Acrophobia; CONCLUDED
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 06:04 PM (5,507 Views)
Ciel
Member Avatar
"Thatís not a prediction, thatís a spoiler.Ē
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
James Mulzet had received a gun. There were many kids who could use a gun. There were plenty of kids who knew that they would never use a gun. However, when James felt the cold metal of the gun in his hand, the round bullets and the dead silence that surrounded him like a heavy fog, James had no idea what to think. He had a gun. They told him to kill or be killed. If he were back home and someone asked him "Oh hey James. You think YOU could kill your best friend?", he would say no. He was sure he would say no! And now, here, on the island where that question had much relevance, he could not come up with an answer. James always prided on having all the answers, but all he had now were questions.

So James just wandered. Seemed like the last thing for a smart boy like James would do. He was the kind of boy who knew what to do at all times. He had plans, he kept with plans. James just wandered, no plan, no goal. He looked down at the gun every now and again. What was he going to do? That was a good question.

James had been awake for a half hour when he stumbled across Ricky Fortino. Apparently the boy just called to someone. It seemed very obvious but his head was in such a state that he couldn't connect two and two. The drugs still hit him hard. He didn't really know Ricky that much, just that he was on the Soccer team. He held the gun tight to his side but he didn't raise it. He just stared at Ricky, lost, almost confused.

"Hey Ricky..."

He let that hello linger. What exactly was he supposed to say? His head was still numb. He turned to look towards the tree in front of him. What the heck was that bag doing on the ground? It took him a second to recognize exactly what it was. It was one of those dufflebags that everyone received. This made James looked down at the bag. The blood was still fresh and he could make out the letters on the bag.

Clark... Winsome? Where had he heard that name befo-

Oh no. He turned around. Winnie was around? Was that blood on her bag? Oh no. No no no no. James didn't know Winnie that well, but she was a nice girl and the thought of her bleeding to death... no, no, but who could do something like this?! James head was still getting a high off of the drugs in his system and this was definitely not helping. He forgot about Ricky. He forgot about everything. He pressed his palm against his forehead, rocking back on his toes. Shit, where could she-

Wait, what the heck? A tiny drop of... something splattered on his hand. It was a very small red drop, and James's hand not been have seen it. This seemed really strange. What if...

James looked up. Winnie was a frail girl, probably had little strength in her arms and she was stuck bleeding up in a tree, holding on for dear life. It was probably the last thing James had expected to see, but it nevertheless made him gasp when the realization hit. Winnie was in danger!

"Oh no! Winnie!" He stammered, dropping his pack on the ground. "Winnie?! Are you okay?!" He looked around, hoping that he would find something, anything that could help but other than the bag on the ground.

James was not a strong guy by any definition of the word but there was something he had to do! He kicked the bag away, pushed his gun into his pocket and held out his arms. "Winnie! Here! Just let go! I-I'll catch you! Just trust me!"
Edited by Ciel, Oct 13 2010, 01:47 PM.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(GM approved by DN)

Winnie was like a cat stuck in a tree. James thought that this whole situation should be hilarious, but he didn't feel like laughing. Instead he just sighed and looked over at Ricky. That was when he noticed Raine. She was a foreign girl, german James figured. A cute girl, like teddybear cute. This illusion wasn't just a simple one, she seemed very nervous. James didn't blame her. She had a speargun pointed at the ground but James didn't think she'd ever use it on him. James smiled at her.

"Oh. Hey Raine." James only remembered Raine's first name. He didn't really know all that much about her other than that. He scratched the back of his head. "No. Winnie Clark is stuck in a tree."

He didn't mention how Winnie was bleeding, as he felt a pair of arms hug him. It was Thea! She had snuck up on him, so he jumped a bit, but he eased into the hug.

"Oh my god, Thea!" He hugged her back, smiling. "Thank god! You're-"

Winnie screamed about getting a ladder. This annoyed James. What was she expecting?! For him to fly up and save her? They were trying their best to get her down!

"Well I'm sorry Winnie," he groaned, holding his hand to his head, "but it's not like I carry a ladder everywhere, just so I can save girls stuck in trees! You've got to work with me here! I know you're scared but you have to-"

Thea pushed him forward. Wait what? She wanted him to climb up there... no... James looked back at Thea, biting his lip. For once, he actually wished Thea hadn't stepped in. James figured he would be able to get Winnie down by just calling to her. He looked over at Ricky. Maybe if Ricky went up there? No luck, Ricky decided to be the guy on the bottom. Great, just great. James grew scared. He stared up at Winnie.

It wasn't that James didn't want to help Winnie. James didn't like heights. He had never told Thea that, hell he hadn't told anyone other than his family. So being lifted up so high to catch Winnie struck a cord in his head, a bad one.

"B-But-" James looked over at Thea, then back at Ricky. "B-But why-"

He looked back at Thea one last time. His mind wandered back to the day of the Senior trip. They sat together on the bus. He could remember a few things. Thea laughing, her hands pressed in between her knees. James smiling wide, looking over at the people sitting across from them. Thea's lips against his cheek. Her butterfly kisses always tingled and made him feel things that he never thought he could. Was it passion? Was it puppy love? James was never quite sure, but he liked being with her. Thea could be a little pushy, at times, like right now, but he could easily overlook that. He liked Thea.

James sighed. "Alright, alright, I'll do it. Ricky, stay there."

Ricky nodded as he sat there, his fingers laced. James let Ricky hold his one foot, though it was clear he was still nervous. Could Ricky hold him up? Ricky struggled but he managed to boost James up far enough. James braced himself against the tree with his one hand, stretching out his other for Winnie. He was up far enough so she could get off. James begged that Winnie would at least take the bait. He wasn't sure how long he'll be able to hold this.

"Winnie!" He called, staying as still as he could. "Here I am! Just wrap your arms around me and we'll lift you down!"
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Oof!" Was the only response James Mulzet gave as Winnie collided with him. James found himself teetering back as he wrapped his arms around Winnie, managing to balance himself out. He panted, clearly scared out of his wits. For christs sake, could you blame him for holding onto her for dear life? James hesitantly looked down as he tried to hold Winnie against him. Oh jesus he wanted to get down as quickly as possible. He didn't like this, oh no not one bit. Plus, Winnie's nails were digging into the back of his neck and it made James want to cry.

"Y-Yeah Ricky!" James called to his partner. "Ricky, I've got Winnie! All you have to do is let us down!"

And now Thea was getting annoyed. What the hell was she getting all worked up about?! She wasn't the friggin one in the tree, helping down a poor helpless girl and she definitely wasn't the one who had the fear of heights here. James grit his teeth. He was feeling the back of his neck going numb now. Great, just great.

"The-Thea, calm down! We're working as fast as we-"

Raine made a comment. It clearly made what little restraint James had left snap like a twig.

"Raine, not helping." James tried to turn his head but only managed just a tiny bit. Quite honestly Raine had every reason in the world to ask Winnie a sarcastic question, but it shifted James's attention away from holding onto Winnie. James wasn't a terribly good mood and sarcastic quips like that made him even more irate. "Thea, I love you, and this is going to be really rude but could you stop talking?! You're distracting meee-EEEeeaaaHHHHHH!"

The two-man ladder went tumbling and James had no idea until it was too late. Ricky tried to keep the balance but to no avail. Everything was dropping like a building filled with TNT and James did the only rational thing that he could think to do - he screamed!

"Ricky! Don- Ricky you son of a bitch, don't drop us! Don-"

The good news was that the distance between James and the ground was very small. The bad news was that James was the kind of boy who would scream like a little girl if it came to falling. He didn't like heights, and he especially hated falling from heights. Elevators made him nervous, skyscrapers doubly so. Don't even talk to him about mountain climbing, he may faint. Those few feet, those few, INSIGNIFICANT feet felt like miles to him and time slowed down to a crawl. Falling. Falllling. Fallllling. Faaallllliiin-

James landed on the ground with a loud thump. His whole body seized up and the pain of hitting the ground made his whole body numb with sheer pain. The fall knocked the wind out of him, and he coughed violently into his dirty sleeve as he gasped for what air he could muster. Every thought, every observation seemed to blow over his head, the only thing he knew was that he was alive. Was he alive? Yeah, he was alive. Maybe. James let out a jagged sigh as realization kicked in. Yeah. He was still alive, thank god. And Winnie! Yeah, she was okay! James had cushioned the fall so she-

That was when he saw the big picture. Winnie was still wrapped around him. On top of him. Draped over him.... no, not just draped. She was laid... ontop of him. Right in front of his girlfriend. The pain in his head roared, his cheeks bright red. Holy. Crap.

"Uhm." James blinked. "Uhh... h-hi?"

James laughed nervously.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
James kissed Thea back and the pain in his body seemed to dissolve. Yes, it was alright. Everything was going to be fine. Except everything wasn't going to be fine. Everything was terrible, and having Thea by his side wasn't going to make things any better. James felt very numb. He looked away and over at Ricky, his hands hugging Thea as close as he could get her. Had James turned his head, he would have seen Winnie crumpling to the ground, fainting from the cut on her dress.

"Ricky, are you okay?" James asked the second his head was in the right place.

James remembered that Ricky had tumbled too. He looked fine, though James thought that he had to ask. James had to be polite after all. Raine had asked them to turn their heads. James already had his head turned away but he reflexively turned it as far as he could, his ear pressed down on Thea's thigh. Actually, James felt that he couldn't stay in this position forever, it was hurting his neck.

"Uhh, thanks Thea," He sat up, smiling at her. "You know, I'm really glad that you're here right now. I don't know what I would do without you."

He really meant that too. James felt his mind go right to the pistol in his pocket. Pistols killed people, guns killed people. James could kill people. James had questions, so many questions but only one stuck out at him and stung him like an angry bee. If he hadn't stumbled across Winnie like he had, just what the hell would he be doing?

What the hell was right. James sighed as Ricky pretty much read his mind. If there had to be someone who had to make a decision, he figured it had to be him. He held his hand to his head. "Well, nothing's going to change the fact that we're here for the long run. Until we know for certain there's, uhh, another way..." James made sure not to acknowledge anything close to an escape group. "I think we should all stick together. No one would try to attack us in a group. Especially if we have all of these weapons. I have a pistol, I think I saw Raine with a speargun..." He looked at Thea, his hand stroking her leg. "Thea, what do you have?"
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Sorry about the wait guys!)

James shivered as he felt Thea's hand against him though it did nothing to calm his mind down. He heard Thea whisper into his ear about how plenty of people were passing through, but James didn't really mind. He was thinking hard about everything and nothing at the same time, about the game, about Thea, about Winnie, about his parents and for some reason other people didn't seem to matter.

"You know," James spoke in a very cold tone, "I don't think we should be partaking in anything right now."

James left it at that. He didn't really see the need to push James away because he really wasn't doing anything wrong. James personally didn't like him as much as some people did. What the hell did he DO anyway? His grades were almost better than the grades James got. James didn't have a social life like Jason, with all the alcohol and partying. James never got that. There were more productive things he could be doing, other facets worth spending his time with. And yet this kid, who everyone knew, who got the same grades as James, was here. The time and energy they both spent amounted to absolutely nothing.

James didn't really show any of his internal thoughts on his face and just turned back to Thea, his head still in her lap. That was when he finally caught a glimpse of Winnie, turned away on her side. The sides of her dress were covered in blood. James held his breath.

James actually felt sad. Winnie's actions didn't seem dramatic at all - the girl really was hurt. The only reason he didn't get up right away was because he wasn't sure how Thea would feel about him getting up and going over there. He still felt guilty about what had happened. It wasn't his fault, surely not, but all the same having Winnie land on him like tha - James bit down on his tongue to flush out all the thoughts that didn't matter. This wasn't the time to be feeling guilty.

"I think we should go help her," James admitted, lifting his head off of Thea's leg. "I - I went up there to save her, I don't want her bleeding to death too."

This was of course an excuse. James was only going over there because he was worried. He just thought that if he made it an entirely selfish reason Thea would understand. He made his way over, getting down on his knees just a little ways away.

"Winnie?" James asked, noticing that she wasn't looking good at all. "Can you hear me?"

James was clueless as to why Winnie didn't seem to want any help. He couldn't see where the cut was placed exactly but he knew the general vicinity. At least he thought he did. Winnie had it covered so strategically, and James was standing so far to the side that he thought it was just along her stomach, and that for whatever reason she didn't want help.

"Winnie," James started, the lump in his throat growing tighter. "Winnie, I know that it hurts but you've got to help us help you. It's for your own good. I mean..." he hesitated. "The cut isn't that deep... I think. Uhh, I mean, I'm not sure, I can't see it..."

He nodded, almost asserting his own point. James wasn't great at talking. Writing essays were more his style, public speaking was not.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Winnie was in that tree," James explained to Jason. He pointed to the tree above. "I'm thinking that the sword cut her up. I'm not sure, I can't see."

One would think that James could just step over a few feet and get a good look at her cut, but he was telling the honest truth. Even if James stepped around Winnie had covered herself in such a way that no one could see anything. It was frustrating and James tried his best not to let it show.

James wasn't the kind of person who would just leave a girl bleeding to death to die. At least that was what he expected. It wasn't everyday that he saw a girl trapped in a tree. On the other hand, it wasn't everyday that... yeah. James shook his head. He had said "It wasn't everyday that he was trapped on an island" like five times mentally. Time to give it a rest.

He was on the verge of giving up. Winnie clearly did not want help and James wasn't the kind of guy who would push and push until he got his way. James persisted though, if only to help Winnie.

"Winnie. You don't want to die, don't you? I promise we won't laugh. This could have happened to anyone."

Winnie was determined, James... not so much. He turned his head as Jason walked over. James never pictured Raine as drinking any sort of alcohol. Guess when your life was on the line, you showed your true colors. James turned his head and noticed Ricky and Thea... all the way across from the rest of the group. Why the heck were they over there? Shouldn't they be with them? Oh, James noticed the map. Were they planning?

James looked at Ricky. Then over at Thea. "What are you guys... doing over there?"
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Tiny GM used here, all parties informed beforehand.))

Thea didn't answer James, which was rude. James knew she heard him. He pouted just as Thea gave Ricky's arm a little rub. James went cold. What was that? Was she hitting on him? No, no way. Maybe he just had a bug on his shoulder and Thea wanted to get it off. Yeah. That had to be it. James was just being irrational. He shook his head. C'mon James, just let it go. They're just talking, planning. Doing the kind of things James should be doing.

James turned his head back and saw Raine crying over Winnie. Winnie had a shirt on now. It was a relief, but James was filled with guilt all the same. Raine was shutting down. James wished he could say something to help but his mouth hung open as he struggled on what to say.

"Raine, I-"

James held his breath. Ricky screamed, and James turned to look. Ricky was running away. He couldn't much of what the boy was saying, but James thought he heard the word "psycho". Psycho. Killer. A little tune rung through his mind as his heart ached. He did the only thing he thought he could do.

James pulled his pistol out.

It felt lighter for some reason. James shifted the weight from his fingers to his palm. The tip of his index finger curled around the trigger.

"Alright," James sighed, "Psycho in the bushes. No gun, or else he would have shot Ricky dead. Stay and fight or run..."

James rapped his fingers along the top of his pistol, thinking. What was he going to do? Just run for it? Fight the psycho? James didn't want to do either. He didn't want to be the one to choose.

He knew at least one thing he was CERTAINLY not going to do.

They couldn't just leave Winnie. James knew that it would be hard tugging a wounded girl along. He didn't owe Winnie anything. It would waste time saving her. However, leaving her here where someone could just come up and strangle her... well, that just wasn't an option and it would never be an option. Not after this fiasco. So James was trapped, looking back and forth, between Winnie and Thea. His girlfriend or a random girl that he only met a few times. Somehow Winnie won out.

So there was his plan - he had to get everyone out.

"Raine," James said. "Now's not the time to cry. You can cry later."

James turned to Thea. This time he made sure to scream. "Thea! Take Raine and Jason. Get out of here, I'll catch up!"

Why did James feel so calm? Ricky said something about there being a psycho and yet James wasn't freaking out. He was screaming, but his heart wasn't pounding. Perhaps it was the gun. Yes, it had to be that. Having the gun out now was giving him strength. He felt like he was standing up straight now. Yes, maybe he could lead these guys. Him and Thea. James looked back at Thea for a second before turning his attention back to Winnie. Even though Thea's shirt covered all of the unmentionables James was unaware of, it certainly was no bandage. James had the sinking feeling that she was still bleeding like a fountain. Shit, that wasn't good. He bit his lip and he quickly grabbed ahold of her hand.

"Come on," he said, helping her up to her feet. "We can't stay here. That shirt is going to have to do for now, we can fix you later. Just follow the rest, okay?" He smiled reassuringly. "I'll be right behind you."

The smile disappeared and James turned. He pointed the gun to where he thought this psycho was. For all he knew he was pointing in the completely wrong direction, but that was a risk he was going to have to take. James was going to wait until everyone else was out of the area before he left. He was the one with the pistol. That meant he was going to have to look out for the rest of the group. The Impromptu Group. He was the soldier. Ironic, seeing how he never intended on being a soldier. A scholar, a physicist. He was good with numbers, not guns.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sorry guys that I had to split the order up. I'll be handling Winnie for Face since she's been busy, I got her permission and everything.))

James was thankful that he had stayed and listened. The gun in his hand grew heavier by the minute. He just stared at Ridley. It was true, he knew him from school. However he didn't know him well enough to just write him off as harmless. That was when Rena ran in and started jabbering, stuttering that they were fine. They weren't going to harm them.

James felt his hand shake. He clicked the safety off.

"Okay," he repeated, "Okay, I'm willing to believe you. You... You know Raine? Yeah, she's with us... Y-You two are friends of hers I'm guessing. "

He certainly did not mind them coming along , but that also raised another question he couldn't answer. Did he want the group getting too big? He wasn't the leader, Thea had that under control. What would she say about- oh right. She would hold her hands to her hips and just pout at him. That usually got him to cave in. Thea had the cutest little pout. She would puff her cheeks out, stick her lip out and give him the most hypnotic little glare in all of mankind. James smiled just thinking about it. Thea wouldn't be happy but what sge didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

"I don't know what happened over there," James admitted, "b-but you're fine. We weren't looking to kill you, at least I wasn't tryi-"

Wait. Wait just a darn second. Didn't Ricky run out of here with his tail between his legs? He told everyone that-

"That son of a bitch."

James looked down at the ground, gritting his teeth. He rarely cursed. It wasn't in his nature, but right now he wanted to curse so loud that everyone on the island couod hear him. Ricky had screamed murder for no real reason, crying about some psycho who turned out to be on the level. Why would someone do that? He might have been spooked. No, that was crazy, a guy like Ricky getting scared? That was ridiculous. So there was no other logical explanation for what he did.

Unless he wanted to break up the group so he could pick them off one-by-one.

That was insane though. Who would do such a think. Ricky would never do that. No.

... maybe. Possible. Could be the answer. Might-

"I," James started. He hesitated, giving a shake of his head. "Damn it, I don't have time for this. Not now. I have to... Winnie, she-"

James looked back hesitantly to see that Winnie wasn't there. Wait. Had she gone ahead? James hoped she went in the right direction. It didn't feel that right to let Winnie walk herself, but it was clear she wanted some space. James felt relieved that she at least listened to him.

Then he froze up when he remembered he had let the rest of the group go ahead of him. He was alone.

"I... uhh..."

James looked back at Ridley and Rena, two kids he barely knew.

"Sorry. I have to..."

James turned and ran. Frankly he didn't care if they followed him or not. He just didn't want to lose the group. James really didn't want to be left alone.

(James Mulzet continued in Sorry, Mom. Sorry, God.)
V6

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply