Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Come & See; open
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 05:20 PM (4,442 Views)
Yossarian
Member Avatar
evolved into EPIC Yossarian
[ *  *  * ]
((B068 Mike Maszer begins))

Cormorants? Or those were some other birds?

Mike wasn't really good with ornithology. What he did knew, that those screeching bastards woke him up, and for some reason, he had a terrible headache.

Where am I? And what happened? I didn't drink anything in the bus, so why the headache?

Still lying on the sand, Mike checked with his hands if everything is fine with his body.

Everything seems fine. No, wait... My hair is full of sand. Damn it...

Thanks to the headache, Mike was still oblivious to what really happened around him. Also, back in Poland he was completely not interested in games like SOTF, and in America he only briefly heard about it and dismissed it like 'Survivors' or any other Reality show, convinced that it was just as staged.

But that wasn't important. What was important was to get rid of that damn headache. Mike still didn't realize it was a random side effect he got from sleeping gas. He stood up, and in completely normal fashion, opened his daypack in search for some painkillers.

I must've packed something like that, I'm sure of it. Second long-sleeve shirt, 'Catch-22' I forgot to bring back to library, bread, crackers, water will get handy... Bingo, a first aid kit. Oh and, a pill, that must be it... But why only one and in different pocket? And outside of the kit? Huh...

Mike shook his head, and moaned a little. Bad idea. He opened the first aid kit, and found some paracetamol. He took one pill, bite it in half for quicker digestion in his body and drank a bit of a water from the bottle.

Before even the pill effect could kick in, the Placebo effect already started to ease Mike's pain. And with a relief in his temples came the sudden realization. The bus, killed staff and students, SOTF, beach and daypack with large, black letters forming the code-name 'B068'.

"...

Kurwa..."

Mike cursed his situation in his native Polish language. He couldn't believe it. That goddamn massacre show turned out to be real, and he was the lucky guy to come from Europe exactly in time to participate in it. He left Poland to get away from personal problems, but looks like they were tied to him with a rubber rope and now they hit him hundred times as hard.

Mike checked the surrounding, and spotted the human silhouette some distance away from him. After packing his stuff back, in a completely normal style for Mike, he forgot about every necessary precaution actions and behaves on the island, and approached the silhouette, soon turned out to be a boy he absolutely didn't recognize.

"Hello?"
Edited by Yossarian, Aug 8 2010, 06:27 PM.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:
B019 - Maxwell Crowe (In Transit) - Weapon: Auto Mag 180 (.44)
B068 - Michał 'Mike' Maszer (The Key) - Weapon: Cyanide Pill
B075 - Robert 'Rob' Jenkins (In Transit) - Weapon: Kevlar Bulletproof Vest, M15 General Officers (.45 ACP)
B078 - Gareth 'Gary Griffith (The Warehouse) - Weapon: Nightstick

V4 Dead: None (Yay!)

V5 (Hopefully): No ideas yet ;]

This is not a song, IT'S A SANDWICH!!!

Mah achievements:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The boy Mike spoked to stood up, and suddenly, the Pole felt like an ant staring at an elephant. He was always placed in the lower (hahah) part of the height spectrum, but usually it wasn't a problem for him. But now he had to turn his head up just to speak freely with the guy.

The other boy, despite his enormous height, looked rather friendly, like a bigger version of Mike. Long curly hair tied up in a ponytail (blonde though...), friendly face, blue jeans, black sneakers, almost like a mirror in the fun house which makes people taller.

Just as Mike stopped taxing the boys looks, he got hit with another shocker.

"M-Mike? Is that you?"

Sudden question caught the Pole of guard.

He knows me? From where? Hardly anyone knows me here...

Second later, a correction in his head came to save the day. Hardly anyone knew him PERSONALLY, but Mike was a goalie in Bayview soccer team. This was especially comical seeing as the other boy was built much more like a goalie, and if anyone would have to guess which one of the two of them is a goalkeeper, he would be wrong for sure. Trivia aside, Mike had now an idea how the guy could know him... But he still didn't knew the guy. As always in 'do I know you?' situation, he was really embarrassed.

"Uhm... Yeah, I'm Mike. And you are...? I'm sorry if I'm rude or anything, but I'm from abroad, and most people are still new for me." He replied with a friendly smile hiding embarrassment, and with an accent, which was not comically bad, but it still stood as an additional testimony of truth about his last sentence.

Since it looked like his new conversation partner won't attack him outright, Mike was still acting terribly careless for a kind of situation he found himself in.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:
B075 - Robert 'Rob' Jenkins (In Transit) - Weapon: Kevlar Bulletproof Vest, M15 General Officers (.45 ACP)

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As the tall boy introduced himself as Erik Laurin, Mike noticed his weird behavior. All those random chuckles, nervous tone of voice. It took Mike a few seconds to figure it out, but he finally realized what's going on: Erik was afraid. When Mike was still covered behind the thick barrier of obliviousness about the program which still made his head think about SOTF as some sort of a bizarre dream rather than reality, Erik, and probably many more students scattered around the island were already suffering from their first breakdowns. He still wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing for him, as it will come later to bite him in the ass for sure. No matter how he would try to toughen up already, without being a witness to all those scary things it was futile.

After apparently getting hold of himself, Erik offered teaming up. Of course, Mike was more than glad to accept it. If there was one thing he was really afraid in life (except from bees, wasps and hornets), it was the fear of being alone.

"Sure, I think it would be stupid on my part to just go in there alone..."

Suddenly, a growling sound reminded Mike that it would be awesome to eat something.

"Excuse me..." He sat down and opened his daypack and looked at his food rations. Loaf of bread and crackers. Not much. Mike was known among his friends as a guy with a giant appetite, so he could only hope he'll manage not to eat everything outright. He torn of a small chunk of bread, stuffed it in the mouth and quickly drank a sip of water to cheat his stomach that he ate more food than he did in reality. As he stuffed his rations back into daypack he once again noticed that loose pill he took out earlier when he was looking for the painkillers, as well as two pieces of paper. One of was titled 'Mr. Danya's Guide to Survival', while the other had just one simple sentence on it:

B068 Designated weapon: Cyanide Pill

Mike looked at the pill once again.

"HOLY FUCK! I almost swallowed it as a painkiller just a moment ago."

Even though it was still probably a small taste of things to come, the feeling of narrowly avoiding death (even if it would be the most stupid kind of death possible) made his heart beating faster and his body to sweat. He stuffed the pill back in the daypack as deep as possible, and stared at the ocean with a blank look.

I... nearly died...

He shook his head, gulped the saliva gathered in his mouth and looked at Erik once again.

"S-so..." He said without previous calmness. "C-can you... Help me explain all the things going on here? I'm still kinda new to the whole concept as I barely heard about it a-anyway. I have this guide... But I doubt if it will tell me if there's a way out of here, of why this madness apparently is still going on for the fourth time..."
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As Erik started explaining things, Mike began to read the survival guide.

Weapons, exploding collars, danger zones, morning announcement. As much as he still tried denying the truth in his mind, all things he saw here screamed 'This shit is real, deal with it.'

Only one will survive... Is... Is it even possible for me to... No, I couldn't... But how otherwise...?

Mike's head became one giant mess, as suddenly all his thoughts about people from outside - about his mother, sister, uncle, Mike's friends... Pauline - crashed inside his skull. Will he ever see them again? He traveled to America to rest from all of them, but he definitely didn't want to rest from them indefinitely.

As Erik started looking for something in the distance, Mike attempted to calm down his thoughts, but only thing which happened, were words leaving his mouth without Mike ordering them to -

I... I just want to go home..."

"There's someone over there." Said Erik suddenly. "You think we should...I mean...check it out?"

Not sure if the boy heard him, Mike looked in the direction Erik pointed in the distance. Yep, definitely some human shape. Thankfully, that presence of yet another human being helped Mike tightening him up, or rather letting him think about something else, at least for a while.

"Yeah... Let's check it. We should be careful though, I guess..."
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
For a while, Mike drifted away into the realm of trivia thoughts as he and Erik approached the boy.

God damn it, did I just got hit with a magical beam that made me smaller, or is Bayview a school of giants?

Even though the other guy wasn't standing, Mike could easily judge from the body build or the length of the torso and legs that he was much bigger than him as well. Usually, the Pole didn't care about his or anyone's height, but in the company of two very tall people in the game called Survival of the FITTEST, he started getting worried. Seconds later though, something else became the center of his attention.

As soon as both Erik and the other guy greeted themselves, Mike immediately joined with a simple, quiet 'Hello', as he couldn't really think of anything better to say. Usually very outgoing and talkative, the surreality of the whole situation AND a gun, possibly ready to kill, lying in front of the boy, tied up Mike's tongue completely. So he just waited for any response while observing the gun like a hypnotized. The boy didn't seem to be hostile, but it's always better be on the safer side and know when to get down if somehow their life would be in danger in a moment.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As soon, as Mike realized that Jasper's gun is not going to kill anyone in the near future, he calmed down. The initial shock finally wore down, probably until the sight of first dead body. More or less back as himself, the Pole started listening to the other guys talking.

Oh great...

The conversation really wasn't flowing, and for Mike, who is a very social person, this kind of situation made him feel really uneasy at first, and then quite irritated after a while. To the point, he desperately started looking for 'cut the crap' button or at least something interesting to talk about.

And then, Erik mentioned the collars, starting the deep train of thoughts inside Mike's head. Sure, he noticed it before on Erik's and Jasper's necks, he felt his own one, and he read about them in the Danya's guide, but he really didn't pay attention to them before. Now, Mike's brain used them as a symbol of being trapped here, which was powering his mind as he asked himself a question: How do we get out of here?

That's right, he wasn't going to kill anyone. And he sure as hell didn't want to be killed or even wait those hellish days in hope somehow everyone will kill each other and he will go back alone. No, he doubted he would survive it physically or mentally. He had to find way out of the island... But how?

He already began opening his mouth to tell Erik and Jasper to help him find the escape route, but before that he heard yet another voice which in current circumstances could lead to even more pointless talk:

"Oi, You dudes all right?"

"GAAAH!" Mike reacted with a disapproving onomatopoeia. The guy who looked like a typical 'couch potato, teenager version' started approaching them. That's cool, as long as he didn't want to kill them all, but if his question would lead to another 5 minutes of 'Hi, how are you, thank you I'm fine' Mike would probably explode, maybe even literally if he would try to pull out his collar in the process of trying to escape the conversation.

"YES! We are all right, thanks for asking, I do hope you are fine as well..."

After this short outburst, Mike quickly calmed himself down. They won't go anywhere as well, if his tone will lead to some heated arguments.

"Guys, we need to cut the small talk. We're a lucky bunch that so far none of us has any murderous intent. But it's only a matter of time before we'll meet someone who was just as lucky as... What's your name anyway?" Mike paused his monologue as he realized he doesn't know the name of the guy with a gun, as well as the newcomer's. "Never mind, we'll get to that later. Anyway, if we'll meet someone wielding a gun who will decide to stay alive by killing us all, we'll be screwed. We NEED to get out of here as soon as possible."

Easier said than done...

Mike looked at everyone else gathered on the beach. "You guys probably know more about this Survival of the Fittest thingy, I barely heard about it before, so I completely don't know what happened here last 3 times. I bet someone tried to escape as well. What did they try? Did it work?"
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Fucking fantastic... No one's listening, and even if, they are almost as clueless as me... Also, we're probably not getting out of here...

As the stream of determination, which prompted Mike to seek the way to get out, wore off, the Pole sat on the sand yet again. He felt like every second on this miserable place drained an ounce of his strength. He desperately tried to find a purpose to go on the island (other than 'kill everyone else' of course'). He wanted to go back... But how? How in the nine rings of hell he's suppose to survive over 200 students, probably half of them better fit or equipped for the task?

In the meantime, Erik and the guy apparently called 'Max', looked like they were trying to behave as nothing happened, while the fat guy started complaining about Jasper drawing... Shotgun?

No, that wasn't right. Living in Poland as a friend of several gun-nuts, having an uncle working on a shooting range, AND shooting at the range himself, Mike could easily recognize Jasper's gun, and quickly spot the mistake in Timothy's last sentence.

"Uhm... It's not really a shotgun." He said to Tim with a casual tone of voice. "Shotguns are bigger, two handed usually and made specifically for the close range. This a handgun. A pistol of bolt-action variety as you can see from the handle. It's a Remington, I think. XP-100, though I don't know which type specifically. It was created to be probably the best pistol at long range. Those shells are incredibly fast and they can hit something from about 200 meters away."

Mike looked at everyone else and realized something.

"Wow... That was... A whole lot of pointless trivia, wasn't it?" He said with a faint smile on his face.

Well, at least it was fun and helped the Pole to forget about his crappy situation for a few seconds. Now, Mike was forced to go back to the real world.

"Damn, is there really no way out of here?" He whispered silently under his nose...
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Apparently, Mike didn't control his tone of voice and what was supposed to be a silent whisper turned out to be loud enough for anyone to hear.

Jasper's answer, which came only seconds after Mike's question, was the most devastating one.

"...No. I do not believe there is."

And even though both Erik and Codename: Fat Guy (he still didn't introduce himself) were thinking otherwise (or at least still hoped they can get out of there), Jasper's words were stuck in Pole's head.

No. I do not believe there is...

That pissed Mike off. How the hell he can be so calm about it? Is he a stoner or something?

Mike clenched his fists. It won't end like that. He had way too much to do back in Poland and there was way too many people he cared about to be just another victim of some sick game created by some sick terrorists.

"No..." Mike shook his head and stood up. "No, Jasper. I refuse to believe that. I don't know how you can be so calm about the situation, but I don't care. There must be a way out of here."

But where was that way? They were on the island, so they would need at least a big raft. Of course, probably the water line was patrolled by Danya's people, and even if not, they still had those collars which would blow them up if they would go too far... Or if they would try to remove them.

Damn, the situation looked really grim.

"Okay... So maybe there is no way out here for us..." The Pole was ready to give up, when suddenly a new idea entered his mind giving him another burst of inspiration and vigor. "BUT! Maybe there is a way for third party to get here, right?"

He looked at the rest of people gathered at the beach. "You know what I mean. We are kidnapped by the terrorist, aren't we? That means, the US government must be seeking us right now, right?"

Of course they did. But somehow they failed to last time. But why?

Yeah... Why?

"Guys, tell me if you know - Why did the US Force failed to save the students in the previous... Tournament?"

That last word hardly managed to sneak past Mike's throat as the whole idea made him sick, but he had to be strong. He felt like he was on the right track again and nothing should stop him now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mike was beginning to suspect, that Jasper had to be a huge party pooper back in States. You just simply don't go away when someone is so enthusiastic about an escape plan. Then, the answer he actually expected to hear came from the Fatty.

"Look dude, you wanna know why they didn't find the other dudes the past three years? The damn government couldn't even FIND our island! We're on like some no name island that probably has like 10 vowels in it hell maybe it has a couple of X's just to spice things up!"

That's what I thought... But why they can't find the...

*click*

And what if...

The Pole got lost in his train of thoughts so much, he barely heard Max talking about moving out...

"Mike's right, but we can't just stand around while we wait for the US military to storm down the island. Jasper had the right idea, we've gotta keep moving. There's a lighthouse..."

Of course... There are cameras anywhere, but they are probably showing precisely what terrorist want people to see, not what the government wants. And that means...

...As well as Erik mentioning his boyfriend...

"Look, this is a lot to ask, I know, but can we maybe keep an eye out for Brendan? Brendan Wallace? About...you know, yea high, good looking, uh...my boyfriend? And..."

...No sense in destroying cameras, that gives us nothing, but maybe if we would change their location to show something which would...

...And finally, Fatty giving the signal to go.

"Yeah you know what dudes? I like that idea a hell of a lot more than just sitting here waiting for that fat ass in a control booth pushing a button that explodes my body! So ya know what lets move ass already!"

"I GET IT!"

Mike slammed his fist into the open palm of the second hand as he finally glued his plan into one.

"Guys, you need to listen to me. I think I got it." Over the next few minutes, Mike's hands almost flew in the air, as the Pole had a habit of heavy gesticulation whenever he tried to explain something.

"Of course, that... Ehrmm, What's your name?" He asked the Fatty while pointing a finger at him. "Never mind, you're right. The US cannot find the island by themselves. I bet that the terrorists invested some cash into satellite jamming devices or whatever, as well as some bogus islands prepared as a decoy. Not to mention the existence of at least two hundreds of other nearly identical island. Impossible to find. BUT! That doesn't mean, WE cannot help them doing it. I'll show you what I mean."

Mike turned to the guy wielding the golf club. "Max, right? Can you show me that map for a while?" And without even waiting for the answer, he took a few steps toward the boy and quickly glanced over the locations on the map he was holding.

"Look, there's a mine here for example. All cameras are probably set to show bugger all of the environment, so someone outside of the island cannot make anything of that. WE CAN. If we can go there and find out that, let's say hypothetically, it's a gold mine... Then we can both point the cameras toward our findings to help, as well as spread the word by ourselves. I bet we have microphones planted, so anyone observing us on the Internet or the TV can hear that the gold was mined on this island. Some guy from the CIA or whatever will hear it and cross out every island without gold mines on it."

Mike looked at the map again.

"Next stop, destroyed cell phone tower. If it's here, that means a certain phone company had to build it. If we can learn which, we can spread the word again... And more crossed out islands for America. The mansion. Maybe we can learn who built it, or at least who lived there. That's also an useful info... And now, I need to drink something, excuse me..." The Pole stopped for a while, as his dried throat demanded some liquid. He opened his daypack and took a few sips of water before continuing. "I bet we can find even more info in other places. Those are the little things, but if we'll manage to do it, I bet, at some point, someone will finally find this island and rescue us. And now, as you said before, we need to move. This is just an ordinary beach. We probably won't find anything interesting here."

Mike packed his water back, tightened the laces on his shoes, and finally made sure that his hair were properly tied before his first trek through the island. He was now ready to go. He turned to Max again.

"Going back to your question - I am with you, Max. And I hope you are with me."
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

Yossarian
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
((breaking the post order as well. Mike's close to inactivity, AND we really need to wrap up this thread...))

Mike really hoped the rest of the guys will agree with his plan, but he never expected them to be even more enthusiastic about it than the Pole himself. The fat guy was maybe even too enthusiastic, considering his behavior just a minute before, but Mike quickly dismissed his doubts. After all, who wouldn't be happy if he would actually believe he found the way to escape the island. Not a perfect way, as terrorists probably managed to hide great amount of things, but certainly the best one they had. So they had to try.

"Thanks guys!" He replied to Max and Fatty. "I really appreciate your words. And now..." Mike looked at the map and the compass he took off his daypack just a few seconds ago. "Lighthouse right? So we need to go... East. Let's go, we don't have much more time to lose."

And with those words, Mike started walking in eastern direction, toward the lighthouse.

Fuck you, Danya, or whatever your name is. I'm not going to die here.

((Mike Maszer continued in Searching For Clues))
Edited by Yossarian, Oct 10 2010, 05:13 PM.
Posted ImagePosted Image

V4 Alive:

Mah achievements:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Beach: North · Next Topic »
Add Reply