Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The start of something truly absurd; Since nobody else is here...
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 04:13 PM (5,440 Views)
Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
[G045 - Ema Ryan] - Start

Ema Ryan. Physics-nerd, girl-gamer, archetypical geek and surprisingly lacking in common sense and spatial awareness. And in spite of all of these things, she could still be considered really rather intelligent and sharp. So that's why, as she came to - for the second time in quick succession - it didn't take her long to flit from "Okay where the hell am I!?" through "Wait, is this wood?" and on to the inevitable conclusion "Oh God, that auditorium was real."

Wishful thinking. That's what it had come down to at the time, as she'd sat there, drowsy from the considerable dose of sedative she'd inhaled, clearly measured for the largest person on the bus and not her puny frame, she'd not tried to struggle. She simply took in all that was happening with a sort of vague interest, happily assuming she'd fallen asleep on the bus and was experiencing a surprisingly lucid dream. A rather unimaginative dream, at that; the faces of the people she didn't know were covered, and the setting was lifted from that TV show she occasionally watched. All a terrible dream, she'd chosen to believe.

So, lying face-down on the moist wood of an aged and poorly maintained pier was quite a shock, but not really a surprise, given time to mull it over. The bus driver had been in league with that Danya guy, the weird black hat must have been a gasmask like in the big hall, and Ema herself was certainly not at the campground she'd anticipated.

"No time like the present.." Ema muttered to herself, and rose to a kneeling position, then stood, looking about to get an idea of her surroundings. 'If I'm supposed to survive here, better get my bearings..' she reasoned.

The area was quite unspectacular, just an old wooden dock, no buildings in sight, surrounded on one side by water (duh) and the other by swampland, the two bordered by a thin stretch of pale yellow sand. All in all, it looked like the perfect set for a horror movie finale... now that was a discomforting thought.

The only part that really interested Ema - causing her heart to quicken with hope for a few seconds - was the sailboat moored at the far end of her pier. But alas, even to layman's eyes, it was clear to see that the vessel wasn't even close to sailable, what with all the seawater weighing it down, and the reef piercing it's hull in a few places.

Eventually, the girl's eyes fell upon a small duffle bag, that had evaded her notice for the first few seconds by virtue of being small, on the floor, a fairly similar colour to the woodwork, and of course, Ema's own weak observation skills - besides, she was looking at the environment, not for stuff... that was her excuse and she was sticking to it.

The little of Survival of the Fittest that Ema had seen quickly told her that this bag was her "daypack", filled with some limited rations, first aid equipment and a random weapon of some kind. "Now," she caught herself hoping, unzipping the bag and rummaging through the essentials "As long as there's some kinda rifle or pistol in there that I can handle...", that wishful train of thought was quickly cut short as she finally closed her hand around the one out-of-place item within. Her response could likely be heard for quite some distance: "Okay, what the fuck am I meant to do with this!?". Yup, she'd been assigned a joke weapon, a useless piece of junk she couldn't even use for a non-combat purpose, a bit of Harry Potter merchandise - a replica time-turner, the sort of thing that can't even be used properly as an hourglass.

With the grim revelation "I am so bloody dead." ringing inside her mind, Ema wandered along to the very end of the pier, sat down with her legs dangling over the edge, and tried to think of some kind of plan, some possible way of surviving an island of desperate teenagers, all better armed and most more fit than she. "This," she said aloud, but under her breath, "Is going to take a fucking miracle."
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
No sooner had the word "miracle." left Ema's mouth, did fortune decide to give her a small one. Free from an unchallengeable position or a free ticket home, but considerably better than a sneaky bastard killing her from behind, so all in all Ema felt quite grateful for the non-hostile, if a little unsettling, voice she heard.

"Don't fire. I'm friendly."
'Well halle-frickin-lujah." was the very first thing that went through the young girl's mind. She drew her legs back up onto the dock and climbed to her feet, careful not to let her legendary clumsiness turn into poor balance, as the shallow water certainly didn't look friendly, if it had done that sort of damage to a sailboat.

She turned around, her left hand hanging loosely at her side, whilst her right had taken hold of her daypack whilst getting up. The girl approaching her certainly looked friendly, a few inches taller than her, kind of sad-looking, and with an awesome blue streak in her hair. Ema was pretty sure she'd seen this person before, but couldn't quite figure out why, other than the obvious. So, assuming she could take Eve at her word, Ema decided to try and break the ice, maybe even put a smile on the other girl's face - there was something about that empty expression that unnerved her, and she'd seen more than a few killers in fiction that shared it. "So," she began, just about keeping a straight face as she asked an incredibly stupid question, "You come here often? Can't say it's the best resort, really." Ema let out a cautious laugh, hoping she hadn't accidentally made herself seem too calm in such a situation.
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"Nah. First time. Nothing like the ads on TV.". A positive response, and a smile... well, almost a smile, at least she'd tried to. Ema could hardly blame the girl, what with the situation they were in, and it was painfully evident that she herself would probably run out of optimism-adrenaline soon enough, and be in just the same vacant state - or worse.

"The name's Eve. Dancer, mother of one."

Ema was just about to reply with her own name, and try to come up with some profession that sounded remotely good, when she registered the last three words Eve had said. Mother of one. Mother. An amendment to that introduction was in order. "Ema Ryan, eh, geek. So, you're a mum... guess that means you don't have any excuse not to win this thing. What'd you get?". Ema gave a meaningful glance towards Eve's bag, hoping she'd drawn something that could defend the both of them, meanwhile extending her hand to accept the shake. "I got a cheap piece of cr--"

"There's someone watching us."

She froze, hand steady as the dead in mid-air. The dead, exactly what Ema had no intention of becoming, but the surprise had given her away. Stopping mid sentence, face ashen, amiable smile dropped in an instant; whoever was watching would know full well that they were detected. Lucky for her it was academic, then.

Ema's hand dropped, and for some reason, her eyes followed it's progress. For that lapse in concentration, she was rewarded with a glimpse of something hanging from the side of the pier - her own bag. But it was hardly a good time to be worrying about personal belongings, more a time for action and quick thinking. In a hoarse whisper, Ema noted "Alright mumsie, you'd better have something good...", and hoped against hope that the newcomer was friendly, and just as afraid of Eve and herself as they were of him.

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"I'm coming out!"

Well score one for clever deception. Ema grinned, giving Eve an appreciative pat on the shoulder. The ruse had worked fine; neither of them knew what Eve actually had for a weapon, but at least the one that had been watching them was revealed. Ema let out an audible sigh of relief at the sight of him, too. The boy may well have been armed with a gun, but he looked no more dangerous than she herself would - short-ish, average kinda build, and the most unthreatening face she'd seen in quite a while, complete with nervous expression and nerd glasses. All in all, Ema was actually surprised she couldn't recall his name, as he looked oddly familiar, and seemed like the sort she'd get on with, in normal circumstances.

"Let's talk."

Double score, he sounded just as unsure as Ema felt, so he was probably just as scared of her and Eve as she had been of him before. So talk Ema did. With a confident-looking smile and a small wave, she greeted the approaching young man.

"Hi! Don't worry, we're not dangerous either. I'm Ema, this is Eve. Wanna chill?"

Oddly enough, in her mind, Ema found herself wondering just why she hadn't lost her cool yet. Here she was, on an island she'd probably die on, in the company of a girl and a boy she'd just met, both of them probably armed, all three wearing collars that'd explode if they did something wrong. And yet she was coasting along on a feeling of comfortable optimism, with her gut telling her things would be fine, even as her mind pointed out the obvious. So as much as the girl realised she was probably doomed, she was quite easily capable of maintaining a calm, amiable air. Perhaps, had the circumstances of her awakening been different, if she'd been in dangerous company, she'd be feeling like she had for the few seconds between Eve hearing Ridley, and him coming into the open.

No, time enough to contemplate whether or not she should be terrified later on. For now, she was lucky, safer than she would've dared hope, and with what seemed like friendly company. So she'd stay smiling, and enjoy the feeling of security while it lasted. Because as her rational mind kept telling that blissful dreamer within her; it wouldn't last long.

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ridley looked unsure. Ema could hardly blame him. For the last however long she'd been awake, the rational part of her had been wondering just why the hell she herself wasn't quaking in her metaphorical boots. Oh well, it was a conundrum for another time.

"I'm okay. Relaxing is the last thing I want to do right now."

She'd thought as much. "Yeah, can't say I didn't see that coming, what with all the imminent death. I kinda scare me, to be honest." An odd response, to be sure, but it hardly mattered. And yet, in the moments before Eve spoke up, she could've sworn despair wasn't the only thing on the boy's mind, in fact... was he checking the two of them out? Well, it was probably his last chance.

"What's your name, and why the fuck do you deserve to survive?"
"My name's Ridley. Or Rid, or whatever you want to call me. At this point, we're all just walking targets. Why should I survive, though? Because I don't want to die, that's why." He paused. "Heh. I guess that already puts the three of us at odds, doesn't it?"

Yeah, back to seriousness. So he was called Ridley. Sounded familiar, just like he looked familiar, but Ema still wasn't sure why. Meanwhile, he seemed to be assessing their state of arms. He'd clearly realised she had nothing visible, and probably that Eve was bluffing about having a gun. But instead of calling her out, he was more interested - understandably - in what they did have.

"Okay, you two know what I have for a weapon, so what do you two have? If either of you are useful, then I'll stick around."

Ema was just about to reply, but Ridley got that unsure expression again, and looked behind him. She craned her neck to take a look too. She saw nothing, but asked anyway, "Someone back there, Rid?", already using the nickname he'd offered. Whether it was her stupid optimistic side trying to be friendly, or her horribly paranoid one hoping to make Ridley himself friendly, it was hard to say. Maybe both. Either way, engendering goodwill was in the interests of both points of view.

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ema's eyes widened at the sight of what Eve had produced. She recognised it, but couldn't quite put a name to it, for in her many hours trawling through random subjects on Wikipedia, she'd come to decide that Mamelukes had very awesome swords. What Eve had wasn't quite the same thing, longer and more curved, but the general aesthetic was much the same, and the sword was certainly quite awesome. All she had to say on the matter was "You lucky..."

And then the second - or from Ema's perspective, third - newcomer approached, hands high in the air, a gesture of peace, despite the crowbar clenched in one of them. She was an odd looking one, mainly because pretty much everything about her was obscured by caked-on mud, which the redhead presumed was for camoflague in the swamp. What she could make out was pretty average, generic height and build at least.

“Looks like we’ve found our next contestant on ‘The Price is Right.’”

That had Ema stifling a laugh, just at the sheer randomness of the choice of phrase. She'd watched it a few times, weird show, not really her thing, but Brucie's classy catchphrases really were memorable. She managed to resist the urge to tell Michelle to "Come on down!", too, instead staying silent as the girl introduced herself.

"Alright I'm not sure if you guys have notice me but... I come in peace for now. Temporary truce. Whatever you like to call it. My name is Michelle O'Cain."

Didn't sound familiar. But... temporary truce? Which is to say, I'll not attack you for as long as it's convenient, then when you're useless, I'll kill you all? Way to be obvious, lady.

"I uhhh... I would also like to know if there was anything I could trade for that sword of yours miss... What's your name... I'll be willing to give up my crowbar and other supplies for it."

Had Ema thought the 'temporary truce' goof was obvious? She corrected herself. Offering to trade a handy tool - and being thick metal, good blocking implement - for a deadly deadly sword, that's the obvious part. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Michelle was just trying to get as much as she could out of the three of them, whether or not she planned to off them all afterwards. The revelation of that hit Ema pretty hard. Already, here was someone camoflaguing herself, trying to optimise her equipment for killing, making convenient 'temporary truces'. Already playing along. Already preparing to hunt and kill her friends and peers.

Only a few hours in, and this was already happening. For those few hours, Ema herself had been subconsciously convincing herself that everything was fine. She'd chose to ignore it when her conscious mind had brought up the gravity of the situation. She hadn't wanted to know what she was getting into. Having what she'd tried to hard to ignore thrust straight into her face was a crippling blow. As if physically struck by the thought, Ema released a breath she hadn't realised she was holding in.

Almost three hundred students. She didn't know many of them. She wouldn't have the chance. For all but one of them were going to die.

Ema held her tongue. She didn't know what to say. She didn't know what to do any more.

Her smile turned to a neutral expression. Neutral, and hollow. Empty.

She didn't want to die.

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ema was still dwelling on just what she'd been thrown into for the majority of Eve and Michelle's conversation, and most of it went straight over her head. She started to hear clearly again around the point Michelle was offering to bury a candy bar with Eve... what an odd thing to say, why would she want to be buried with food? Wait, buried? Was she going to kill Eve or something? She'd already made her intentions to "win" pretty clear, but Michelle certainly didn't look like she was about to attack, nor did Eve look particularly worried. In fact, Michelle was asking her name. She seemed to be averting her eyes from Ema herself.

Part-way through berating herself for spacing out at the worst times, Ema caught the last part of Ridley's own condition. Typical, if she wasn't missing things because she was too busy letting her mind wander, she was missing them because she was talking to herself, inwardly or otherwise.

"We'll throw it into the ocean."

What, the candy bar? Or something else? Everyone's attention seemed to be on the shamshir and the crowbar, so perhaps he wanted them to dump the riskier, more brutal weapons? Made sense to her, they'd look a lot less suspect if they just had a gun and a crowbar between them, just self-defense and utility. Then again, just having a sword available could come in handy, and it was a particularly beautifully made one. Why was Rid even asking her, anyway?

Ema really didn't know what to say. She'd already apparently unnerved Michelle, so she was nervous to speak up, in case she managed to accidentally make some dangerous enemies. Crowbar, sword, gun... none of them things she wanted to go against bare-handed. So instead, she knelt down at the edge of the pier, reaching for the bag she'd brought for the campsite, and lifted it up onto the planks. It was considerably lighter than before, as Danya's people had removed her laptop and (surprisingly helpfully) it's heavy charging lead. But that wasn't what she was looking for. She rifled through the smaller inside pockets, coming to her stash of snacks. She spoke up, timid caution pretty clear in her voice.

"Eh, I don't know about that... but did someone mention wanting some chocolate?"

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
(Hopefully normal order can be restored now, so... from what I can tell, we should be Chib -> Dropbear -> Sky -> Palle. Anyways, to the postan.)

Things seemed to be looking up, for the moment at least. Eve still seemed a little skittish, but the offer of chocolate had apparently calmed her down, and Ema was now "cool" for having it to hand. Seemed that they agreed on strategy too, keep themselves to themselves and hope for the best. Sure, if she thought about it too much, it was obviously a stupid idea and wouldn't achieve anything. So Ema didn't think about it at all. She just thought about how it meant she wouldn't have to kill people out of choice, how it meant she'd have some friends to hole up with, at least for a while. Ironic, really, that it took being dumped on an island and told to kill all her peers to get Ema making friends.

And then everything went to hell. First, Ridley decided to flip out over the sharing of chocolate, acting as though he thought nobody else realised what was going on. Yeah, simple pleasures are great, especially when they're all that's standing between you and breaking down from complete culture-shock. Ema would've said something to that effect, but decided against it. No need to antagonise him when he was already slightly unstable, it certainly wouldn't help matters any.

But clearly Michelle didn't see it that way, and decided to drive things even further south. At first, she seemed to be trying to calm Ridley down, to comfort him. But there was an odd look to her eye, an unsettling tone to her voice. Ordinarily, it would've been imperceptible, and probably entirely innocent too, but quite understandably, Ema's suspicions were on overdrive. Something was wrong.

"We need a way to fix that so let's work together on it alright?"

Before anyone could possibly react, Ridley received a crowbar to the midriff. Ema had no idea what she was actually after, and instantly assumed the worst. She backed up, rifling through her daypack for something useful, only to remember she'd been assigned a useless piece of junk, and nothing else in there was going to be dangerous. Maybe she could try to defend herself with the bag itself? Desperate times, desperate measures and all that...

Luckily for her, she didn't have to. Apparently Michelle had only been trying to steal the boy's gun. She hadn't succeeded. Ema wasn't sure if that was good or bad news; Ridley didn't seem exactly stable, but he'd clearly been reluctant to use it, whilst Michelle had been decidedly aggressive and opportunistic from the word go, but at least she seemed to be thinking straight the whole time.

By the time Ema had finished thinking about that, the situation seemed to have started to resolve itself anyway. Ridley had kept hold of his gun, yelled at Michelle for a bit, then started running away after a few tense moments. Relief flooded the small girl's body. She didn't want to think about what would've happened if a real fight had broken out. It probably wouldn't have been pretty. That much, she was capable of communicating to the others, in no uncertain terms.

"What the fuck were you thinking!?"

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ema didn't actually have a weapon to lay down, unless anyone was terrified of movie merchandise, so she just sat down feeling like the odd one out. Heh, odd one out, as if it was any sort of time to care about fitting in. Though, it was less caring about it, more noting how, despite everything, it just placed her right back in a state of normality.

It had certainly been an interesting first day, no doubt about it. Even though she'd missed most of it, thanks to the massive dose of tranquiliser she'd inhaled, serious crap had started happening almost the moment she'd woken up. Meeting a bunch of new people and witnessing what could have almost been a fatal argument, to just name the most obvious. But it was more than that. Over those last few minutes leading up to dusk, Ema had quite probably experienced more shifts in emotion and world-view than she had in the rest of her life combined. Then again, she had never been particularly level-headed, and the reality of her situation could certainly be blamed for adding to the lapse in stability.

The other two girls talked for a short while, and again, Ema felt almost comfortable in the normality of being left out, whatever it would mean for her in the future. Michelle still seemed wary of her, probably for a good reason she herself hadn't figured out yet, and was quite clearly avoiding having to address her. Finally, the girl with the crowbar gave a short speech, summing up her feelings on the 'game', which seemed to Ema to amount to "Play to win and hope you get lucky." She would've said something, maybe agreed on how being alive was indeed better than being dead, but decided against it. Instead, she just held her tongue, wondering what Eve would have to say in return.

"Ema, it's been a pleasure knowing you."

Oh, that was pretty nice of her to say. Most people seemed to fi-- oh. Eve was legging it for the swamp and the forest beyond, before Ema or Michelle could manage to speak up, let alone stand and follow her. She probably hadn't even meant it, she'd probably only said it to placate Ema, make her feel a little less alone and doomed. In that case, Ema decided, maybe it was still a nice gesture, but running away straight after kind of cancelled it out.

Ema never noticed the arrow that had been drawn in the sand, she was too busy single-mindedly running after the fleeing girl. With the split-second she'd had to decide what to do, she'd decided Eve was probably the best hope she had for companionship, possibly even a true friend, on the godforsaken island, and that she wasn't going to let that escape. She almost fell over her own feet as she hastened to stand up, losing balance as she tried to get up and brush stray hairs out of her eyes simultaneously. Each second she wasted let Eve get further way, so she regained her footing and collected up her own belongings as quickly as she possibly could, already a little out breath before she even started running. Desperately, as Eve disappeared out of sight, the frantic girl called out "Don't go! Wait for me!".

Doubtful it was heard by who it was meant for. But it didn't stop Ema running about as fast as her weedy legs could manage, despite having no idea which direction to go after she hit the swamp.

[Ema Ryan --> It's hard to walk tall when you're small]

The Past

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Key · Next Topic »
Add Reply