Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
White Knight Nightmare; B004: Start
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 03:33 PM (5,468 Views)
Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
[[ Madelyn Prowers continued from We're All Guilty Anyways ]]

Madelyn was beginning to regret leaving the groundskeeper's cabin. For one thing, she hadn't really thought about how exactly they were going to find Ema in the first place. The other thing was that she hadn't realized just how big the island probably was. They had seen the mansion in the distance as they left the cabin and decided against going there, since it just lead to the same problem they had at the hut, except more rooms for people to hide in and possibly get the jump on them. Instead, they decided to go the opposite way, which ended up leading them to a particularly well kept area that made Madelyn feel like she'd just wandered into a country club.

"Heh, I feel like we should be watching out for someone yelling 'Fore!' more than kids with guns right now." Madelyn joked as Hayley lit up a cigarette and checked on her. She was fine now. She was on an adventure... at least that's what she kept telling herself. As long as she was able to stay positive, she felt like she could take on the world.

The makeshift spear (which was better than just calling it a sharp pointy stick) was nice to have, for more reasons than the obvious one. It was tall enough that she could use it as a walking stick as well, digging the blunt end into the ground to help her keep her footing. Her Chuck Taylors weren't exactly the most comfortable shoes in the world to be walking around in, but she'd forgotten to switch them out for her hiking boots back at the cabin. Ahh well, I'll just have to do that later. Right now, it's more important that we find Ema.

It wasn't long before the duo spotted a few people in the distance. At first, Madelyn didn't recognize a single person there, and Ema definitely wasn't with them, but sure enough, Hayley spotted someone she apparently knew quite well. Alex. One of the people on their short list of the Trusted. Madelyn smiled as Hayley motioned for her to follow her, breaking off into a run. Before long, the duo had joined the group... and then suddenly realized that there was a boy with a gun there as well, someone that neither of them had ever met.

The only person she had recognized was now off in the distance, heading towards a building; Peter. They had talked occasionally at school about religion and homosexuality, and how they both agreed that it shouldn't be something that the church should frown upon. Granted, they both had a vested interest in the outcome of the argument, seeing as how they were both... more sexually free than some of the more conservative members of the clergy preferred. Unfortunately, he had already begun to wander off before Hayley and her reached the group. Things were looking pretty grim so far.

"Hey, uh, I don't know who you are, but I'm not here to, like, kill you or anything. Just here to bother this asshole," she said as she motioned towards Alex. Madelyn smiled as she stood with her 'spear' at her side, hoping that everyone would be cool.

Edited by Lawther, Aug 10 2010, 02:56 PM.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

V4 Characters:
B-148 Daisuke Nagazawa - "I've got my fist, I've got my plan, I've got survivalism..." CL: Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding
Current Equipment: Jericho 941F (.45 ACP) [x2 magazines, 16 rounds left]

G-115 Madelyn Prowers - "Oh man oh man, look out! Press A! PRESS A!!!" CL: Break Up And Break Down
Current Equipment: mp3 player, 'spear' (sharpened pointy stick)

B-049 Tobias Elwin :Dead: - "Hugrubglruglbulrg... Hurgbrbggbrll..." CL: It's A New Day
Current Equipment: None.

Lovely character icons by LittleBoy. Click to see the full pictures!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
Madelyn couldn't help but laugh as Hayley introduced her to Alex. She'd never formally met the boy, per say. Of course, they'd been in a few classes together over the years at Bayview, but she couldn't really imagine saying much more about him than the stock 'he seemed like such a nice boy' if she were ever asked about him.

Well, Hayley trusted him, so that was all that mattered in Madelyn's book.

"Yep, I guess we're bestest friends now, since Hayley says so, right?" She said to him, winking ever so obviously sarcastically before offering him a genuine smile and a friendly fist bump to solidify their newfound friendship.

The others, she wasn't so sure about.

Watching them bicker and practically wave their guns around in the background made Madelyn feel as if both of them were posturing to see who had the bigger dick. Definitely not the best first impression she'd ever gotten off two people before. It was a shame that Peter had apparently just left the group; Madelyn quite liked him.

She wasn't entirely comfortable about joining forces with the apparently dysfunctional group, even if they did have guns to protect them. After all, their primary mission right now was to rescue Ema from... wherever she happened to be. It would be a miracle right now if they could even find her, let alone 'rescue' her. However, the fact that Alex apparently had a plan to get off the island was pretty jazzy. Just as she was about to ask him about it, Hayley beat her to the punch...

And then proceeded to completely shit all over it.

"Alex... kid, you know I love you and all that, but... fuck, haven't you ever watched this show? Shit, smarter kids than us have tried to escape and you know what happens? They die. They don't even have a chance. Think we can do better? Do you really? Stupid fucking question, actually, I know you, boo, you totally think we have a shot, but I don't. I don't know what your plan is and I'm still pretty damn sure it's not gonna work. No offense, kid. But, like... right now I'm prioritizing finding the people that I don't want to die. Like you. We've gotta find the others, man! Like, what about Jay? I have this mental image of him bugging out somewhere without us and are we just gonna fucking leave him so we can plan our amazing magic escape? Fuck, man. I love you, and I wanna stick with you through this shit, but like... priorities, man. Priorities."

Madelyn knew Hayley was rather pessimistic about their whole situation, and she couldn't really blame her. After all, Madelyn knew it as well as anyone else who had watched the show: No one ever escaped the game. But that didn't give Hayley the right to take a giant dump over Alex's (and indirectly, her) dreams.

Madelyn snapped.

"Hey!" she interjected, somewhat more forcefully than she'd admittedly meant to. "I still think we have a shot to get off this fucking hell-hole, thank you very much! I know it's not much, but there's always a chance. Nothing is ever a foregone conclusion, no matter how bad things may look!"

She knew she couldn't have sounded more corny than if she had ended her little motivational speech like Han Solo, shouting 'Never tell me the odds!' even when logic dictated they would have no chance. They probably didn't have one anyway, even if Madelyn was loathe to admit it, but the possibility that there was a chance was the tiniest light of hope that was keeping Madelyn's grief at bay right now. Hearing Hayley, one of her best friends, completely rip into that hope had hurt Madelyn more than Hayley probably knew.

"Come on Alex, tell us about your plan." She said sternly as she turned her attention towards him, trying to collect her wits and calm down now that she'd said her peace on the matter. She took a few deep breaths to calm down before turning to Hayley as well. "Let's at least hear what he has to say before we pass judgement on it."

V4 Characters:
B-148 Daisuke Nagazawa - "I've got my fist, I've got my plan, I've got survivalism..." CL: Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding

G-115 Madelyn Prowers - "Oh man oh man, look out! Press A! PRESS A!!!" CL: Break Up And Break Down

B-049 Tobias Elwin :Dead: - "Hugrubglruglbulrg... Hurgbrbggbrll..." CL: It's A New Day

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
Madelyn stifled a fearful squeak as Alex suddenly grabbed Hayley's hand and guided her sword to his throat.

"A simple logic problem. Can you do it? Can you cut my throat? Watch me bleed to death and shit myself on the grass in front of you during my final moments?"

Madelyn certainly didn't think she had it in her. It was hard for her to even imagine killing someone in cold blood, just because they were there, not unless that person just so happened to injure or kill anyone she loved. Then, all bets were off.

"You don't play, you die. Within Danya's rules, those are your two options. But then, killing to save your own skin? I couldn't. I couldn't live with myself. It would be like dying. Which makes this a zero sum game. No winning solution."

There was Logic in Alex's words. If they tried to play by the game's rules, the likelihood of their deaths was near 100%. Trying to find a way out of the game, the third option, was like cheating the system. This was the hope that Madelyn was looking for. If they could somehow figure out a way to bend or break the rules, they could possibly cheat their way to victory. A mischievous grin crept onto Madelyn's face as Alex continued to speak.

"That's what I figured out in the hall when we watched the video. This morning I figured out something else. See, I'm dead. I know it. The odds are so against me, I know there's no way I'm getting off this island alive." he said. "What's more, I know that everyone I care about is dead as well. This is true for all of us. All of us! Everyone here is dead. Do you know what that makes us?"

Zombies? Madelyn jokingly thought to herself. This was a game, after all, and a proper horror game should have zombies... clearly this was not the best time to think of something absurd like that, but little things like being able to joke around was what made life worth living. She'd be damned before she let the terrorists take that away too. So then, what have we learned? Funny thoughts > Terrorism... I should probably keep that to myself though

"It makes us powerful. Because we're dead and our friends are dead and our teachers are dead and we have NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE! He has nothing.. NOTHING to threaten us with."

Nothing left to lose, everything to gain. Even if they did play the game, eventually everyone they held dear would have to die before they could win. At least if they gave a crazy plan a shot and had one last hurrah, they had a better chance to survive. Plus, it gave them a chance of giving a big ol' Fuck You to Danya by cheating his system, the thought of which entertained Madelyn immensely. Alex apparently shared the sentiment as well.

"And along the way, we're going to be figuring out how to do the plan i've got in mind. I'll write it down for you once we get somewhere a bit safer, these collars have ears don't you know. Because if i'm a dead man, then i'm not missing a chance to fuck with the man who killed me."

"Damn straight!" Madelyn added in emphatically. She was beginning to like this Alex fellow, and she could see why Hayley liked him as well.

However, Hayley didn't seem to share their enthusiasm. She was still somewhat irked by Hayley's earlier comments, but she knew Hayley well enough to know that she hadn't meant them as barbed shots towards her undying optimism. However, for what she lacked in optimism, Hayley made up for it in sheer determination.

"First of all...I know. I've known since the second I've woken up. I'm dead. We're all dead. That's the fucking truth of it! I'm...shit, I can't say I'm ready for it. I'm gonna fucking fight my ass off before I let these bitches take me out. But in the end...I'm dead."

Madelyn wished she could be as strong as Hayley was right now. Her only strength seemed to be the ability to blindly hope against all odds. If the time came to fight, would she be ready? Madelyn could only hope that Hayley would be there to lend her some of her strength when the time came. Especially if Alex's plan failed.

"Whatever. I'm sticking with you for now. I'm gonna hate myself later otherwise. But...I'm looking out for us. That's me, you, and Maddy. I don't trust either of these two-" Hayley nodded towards Jon and Charlene- "far enough to fuckin' throw them. But...ugh..."

Madelyn was somewhat caught off guard by Hayley's laugh, but it was good to hear it. The fact that they were still able to laugh and joke around was comforting to her.

"I'm having both of you enshrined in the halls of the Gods of Idealism after this. Fuck, Alex, you're lucky you're so cute when you play hero or I'd be out of here."

For now, at least, Madelyn was content to sticking with the group along side of Hayley. Alex seemed like a good enough leader, and though the chick and the dude with the guns were a bit odd, they didn't seem to be players. At least they could be helpful until Hayley and her managed to find Ema.

It wasn't long before Jonathan began to ask a few questions himself. He seemed to have someone else he cared about on the island as well, at least. Maybe he wasn't that much of a jerk as his first impression made him out to be after all. She figured Alex would field his first two questions, what with him being the de-facto leader of the team and all.

"Now that my point has been made, I have one last question. Group Campbell, could any of you spare a cigarette?"

Madelyn laughed as Hayley mentioned that she was on cigarette rations. Knowing Hayley's habits, it would take almost all of her strength to make those cigs last for the time being. However, unbeknown to Jon, his question had sparked an interesting point in Madelyn's mind.

"Group Campbell, huh? We're gonna need a better team name then that!" Madelyn jokingly responded to Jon's question for a cigarette. "How about 'The Scotsman's Brogues' or something? If we're going to call ourselves something, we should at least have a good team name."

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"Alright, so. North of here we've got a wee town. Now a place like that isn't going to be safe long, but if we can get there quickly enough, we can find somewhere to hold up for a bit. It's a bit of a trek and i'm willing to bet there'll probably be people there."

Madelyn peered over Hayley's shoulder as she rolled out the map of the island, leaning gently on her slightly shorter friend to get a better look. The town Alex mentioned was on the other side of the island, with plenty of possible hot-spots on the way.

"My only issue with the town is that there's bound to be loads of people there by now. Possibly hostile people. Plus it's really far away. And it's an obvious choice. Yeah actually I've got a lot of issues with the town. Whatever. How about we check out the fun fair? I'm in the mood for a ferris wheel, don't know about you guys..."

"I really don't like the town either." Madelyn chimed in. "It's too obvious. There will probably be tons of people setting up camp by the time we make it there. It's bound to be one giant powder keg waiting to happen. I think we should slowly move north and see if we can find a few more friends on the way, maybe even hang out on the outskirts of the town for a while just to see if we can spot anyone we know."

"I'm also down with checking out the fun fair for now to see if we can find a few of the people we're all looking for." she said, sheepishly grinning before she added an addendum to the list.

"...and maybe some cotton candy."

Yes, more friends would be great. People Madelyn knew she could trust. She wasn't sure just how ready she was to put her life in the hands of the two gunslingers in their group with their constant squabbling. Hopefully their little group could last until they found a few more trustworthy allies. And firepower. That would be nice.

Unfortunately, Charlene happened to sling an underhanded insult at the boy before adding her own two cents into the name game.

"Shut up!" Jon shouted at Charlene. Her words had clearly struck a nerve in the boy. His gun rose up in his hand, pointing menacingly at Charlene.

"Whoa, no worries dude!" Madelyn quickly interjected, hoping to play peace-keeper between the two. The last thing she wanted to see happen was for everyone to start threatening each other over the slightest provocations.

"We'll totally..." Madelyn started to say, cut off as the boy let loose a parade of bullets in Charlene's direction. Just like that, any hope of their little group earning each other's trust flew out the window. Madelyn screamed as she quickly ducked her head, cowering instinctively at the sound of the gun.

Jon had already turned and ran before Madelyn even dared to look up again. Was that really all it took for someone to snap in this game; a snide comment? She quickly looked to Hayley for support as her mind raced between fight or flight responses. Yes, Hayley would know what to do. Wouldn't she?

"What the fuck, man?!" she heard Hayley shout after him. Her grip was tight on the sword in her hand, but she made no movement after Jon. What did that mean? Should they just let him go, after he had open fired on Charlene? Maybe it was just better to let him go. After all, what could they do to stop him; shake a sword and a pointy stick in his general direction?

Instead, Madelyn turned her attention towards the girl, unsure if she was still alive or dead. Thinking quickly, she dropped her spear and tore though her daypack to find the medkit that was included in her supplies before rushing over to Charlene, desperately hoping that she would be alright despite not really even knowing her.

"Please be OK. Please be OK. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease be OK!"
Edited by Lawther, Aug 24 2010, 11:26 PM.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
Madelyn was right there by the pair's side by the time Charlene had collapsed. She hadn't even realized that Alex had been shot until he rolled off of Charlene, revealing the bullet wound in his right arm and Charlene with a few gashes. She'd never dealt with fixing a real bullet wound before; her experience with medkits was limited to:

1. Find/pick up medpack
2. ????
3. Health bar refilled

Yet, she was already tearing through the medkit, putting on a pair of rubber gloves as Hayley began to take care of Alex.

She glossed over Charlene's wounds, noticing the profuse bleeding from a gash on her left calf as well as two cuts on her neck and right arm respectively.

"Hayley! How bad is he?!" Maddy asked as she pulled the scissors out of the medkit and began cutting away at Charlene's jeans to clean and dress the wound on her calf. "Once I'm finished with this... Oh God..." The blood kept oozing from Charlene's leg, droplets splashing onto Madelyn's sleeves as she worked. She hoped that the bleeding wasn't because an artery had been hit. The only thing she knew how to do was clean and dress the wound with gauze; fixing an artery wasn't even an option.

"Charlene. Are you alright?" Madelyn instinctively asked. Of course, it was a stupid question, but maybe talking to the girl would help her calm down. "You're going to be alright, kay?"

Madelyn quickly grabbed Charlene's pack and pulled out one of her water bottles to rinse off the leg wound, now that half of her pants leg had been removed to reveal the gash. She ran her hand gently along the gash as she poured water on the blood. Though it was bleeding heavily, it wasn't very deep. Good. The only problem was, she needed another set of hands to help keep the wound clean as she put on the gauze.

"Charlene!" Madelyn yelled at the girl as she still lay seemingly paralyzed by shock in front of her. "I need you to help me with this, alright?"

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" Charlene screamed in pain.

"AAAHHHHHHH!" Madelyn screamed in surprise, wincing as she quickly removed her hand from the wound on Charlene's calf. She hadn't meant to hurt Charlene, but she still felt a twinge of guilt nonetheless. OK, noooooo touchie. Definitely no touchie.

"Whuh - what the hell?" Charlene asked, shaken from the daze she was in by the pain of Madelyn's touch. Madelyn continued to pour water on the wound as Charlene's gaze became fixated on the wound.

"What happened? What did he do?" "What the fuck did he do?"

The intensity in Charlene's eyes as she demanded to know what happened made Madelyn nervous. Madelyn barely knew anything about the girl beyond her popularity and a few unproven rumors that circulated the halls of the school. Plus the fact that she was armed with a gun, and Madelyn had been unsure if she trusted her before Jon had shot her. She was already riled up from having just been shot as well; what if she suddenly turned violent? Madelyn hoped it wouldn't come to that.

"He, umm... He... He shot you, Charlene." Madelyn nervously admitted before preemptively trying to calm her down. "But Alex totally tried to save you! He dove in there like... like some kind of super-hero that takes bullet wounds for other people and got shot in the arm! He probably saved your life. Totally cool. You should remember to thank him, heh heh heh..."

Madelyn had a tendency to talk a lot when she was nervous. She couldn't help but keep spewing out words like verbal diarrhea. It was as if her mouth wanted to betray her at any given moment by blurting out something that shouldn't have been said. Luckily, she had somehow refrained from mentioning that it was partly Charlene's fault Jon had snapped in the first place. That probably wouldn't have gone over so well with the injured girl with the gun.

Unfortunately, now that she had started talking, she was having trouble shutting up.

"So, uh, now that you're up and stuff, and since I don't want to hurt you again, do you think you can help me wrap this up with gauze? If we stop the bleeding, it should heal up, right? I'll keep pouring the water to keep it clean if you want. It doesn't look too deep, so if we keep it clean and bandage it I don't think it will get infected." She continued to blurt out as she handed Charlene the open medkit beside her. "Nope, won't be too bad at all, right?"
Edited by Lawther, Aug 31 2010, 10:10 PM.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"Is ... is he okay?" Charlene asked innocently, showing concern for someone else for the first time since Madelyn had met her on the island. Her previous raged had seemingly calmed down while Madelyn sat beside her as she applied the gauze bandage to her wound.

Still, the gun clenched tightly in Charlene's hand made her a possible threat in Madelyn's book, which meant that Madelyn was still nervous. And a nervous Madelyn was a talkative Madelyn.

"I... I really... don't think so." Madelyn stuttered, stumbling over words to find the best answer. "He got hit pretty hard in the shoulder. The bullet... he might have... if we were back home..." Madelyn struggled to put her thoughts together as she talked to the gun-toting girl beside her, but her nerves were getting the best of her. Two people had just been shot in front of her very eyes. The reality of being on Survival of the Fittest was starting to sink in. Madelyn took a deep breath to try and calm down.

"If the bullet went completely through his arm, he'll have a gaping wound that probably won't heal. If we could get him to a hospital, he'd probably be right as rain in a few days, but... heh, that's not going to happen." Madelyn didn't know much about real life bullet wounds, but school had unwittingly mentioned the aftermath of such wounds several times on various occasions, either through reading material or through educational History Channel-esque documentary videos. They never mentioned it directly, of course, but an observant student could read between the lines as they tried to gloss over the subject.

"Remember in history class, how they showed us that movie that had a slideshow of Civil War injuries while they talked about the heroic valor of the chicks who worked on the frontline hospitals?" Madelyn asked Charlene. She was fairly sure that the video was a standard one for most history classes, even though some teaches had different methods of teaching their courses.

"They showed pictures of women treating bullet wounds with little more than gauze, pliers, and morphine back then. But, I remember the pictures they showed better than the voiceovers. The wounds were... gnarly. They were hideous, and often looked infected from having been dragged through the mud and blood of their comrades on the way to the tent. The only real thing they could do... was amputate the limb to keep the infection from getting worse."

We're kinda in the same situation; we're under-prepared for the kind of wounds this fucking game is going to deal us. Our med kits are a fucking joke. Madelyn thought to herself as Alex rose up and tried to make his way towards the Fun Fair. He tried to walk away like a cowboy riding off into the sunset at the end of the movie, but the pain was too much. Madelyn saw Alex crumple to the floor once again in pain. Hayley ran after him.

"See that?" Madelyn pointed towards Alex's fallen form. "He's lost a lot of blood, and that hole in his arm isn't going... isn't going to heal with just a little bit of gauze. I... I..." Madelyn choked up. A lump of grief the size of a baseball was in her throat, chocking back words that if said would cause her to burst into tears. She was trying to be strong; trying to be useful. She couldn't afford to cry now. Not now. They were still in danger. They would always be in danger.

I'm not going to cry, God damn it... she thought to herself, trying to stay calm with all of her might even as the world around her crumbled.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
((GMing of Hayley Kelly approved by Hollyquin))

No, Madelyn wouldn't cry. She could be tougher than that. She had to be if she was going to survive this ordeal. A few stray tears that trickled down her cheek were quickly wiped away as she began to regain her composure... just as a slow clap began to echo throughout the field.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Madelyn stiffened slightly as the ominous clapping gave way to an sadistically eager voice.

"Kids, I have to say that I'm truly impressed with your first day showing. Blood! Tragedy! Explosions! Mayhem! You've utterly smashed the record for first day kills; it makes an old man proud to see you all taking his instructions so thoroughly to heart! Congratulations to those of you that are still alive, because you've already outlasted 19 of your classmates."

19. 19 students. 19 dead students. Madelyn could hardly believe that so many students had already been killed... and that some of her fellow students were already willing to kill. Were they like Jon: just scared and paranoid about there very survival and just set off by the wrong thing, or were there already people resolved to play the game until the bitter end?

She listened to the announcements of her classmates demises and the grisly descriptions of their murders intently, selfishly hoping to herself that none of her closest friends' names would be called out. As fate would have it, none of her compatriots had been killed, at least for now. A small glimmer of hope that they could still be saved allowed Madelyn to breathe a sigh of relief once the list of names had finished. At least the worst of the announcements was now over.

"To keep you all on your toes, it's time for the dangerzones! Since a lot of dummies don't seem to understand this, let me put it simply: You go in zone. Collars goes boom. Got that? Okay children, listen close. As of this announcement, the Lighthouse, the Groundskeeper's Hut and Greens are now danger zones. If you're in any of those places, you'd better clear out pronto! Tick tock, folks!"

Beep.

"Son of a bitch!" Hayley screamed as their collars began beeping in unison. She helped Alex get to his feet while Charlene quickly got up and grabbed her pack and Alex's GPS. Madelyn grabbed the medkit from the ground and made a mad dash back to her pack.

Beep... beep...

Alex and Charlene were already off and hobbling as Hayley quickly gathered up the rest of their supplies and threw them into her bag just as Madelyn made it to her pack. As she quickly threw everything she could back into her bag, the beeps began to come at faster intervals. Time was running out.

Beep, beep, beep ...

Hayley was the first off the line in the race against time, making a mad dash with her sword clenched tightly in her hand towards Alex and Charlene as they forced themselves into a run further ahead of them. Madelyn struggled to throw everything she could into the bag and zip it shut before grabbing her makeshift spear and made a run for it.

Beep beep beep beep beep ...

Madelyn was not used to running much faster than what was necessary in gym class. She had never seen a point in going all out for the mile run. After all. what was the reward for being the fastest besides being the first one to get to rest? In gym, all she'd ever done was jog lightly and chat together with a few friends, only moving fast enough to avoid failure.

Beep beep beep beep beep

Madelyn urged her legs to go faster than they'd ever went before, digging deep and willing herself not to give up. There was still a chance they could make it out of the zone. She still had to find the rest of her friends. She still had to make sure they were all safe. There was still so much that needed to be done; her life could not end here.

beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep ...

"We can make it!" Madelyn yelled to herself, not yet ready to give up even as the alarm clock from hell beeped incessantly in her ears, warning her of her impending doom. She ran with all of her heart, even as everything seemed hopeless. She concentrated on Hayley in front of her, trying to focus on her friend rather than on the infernal beeping that emanated from the collar around her neck.

beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep ...

"We can make it!" Adrenalin now coursed throughout Madelyn's veins as she kicked her run into overdrive. She imagined that there was an invisible wall of fire behind her, forcing her to run an endless length for her survival, like in a video game, for a little extra motivation. Her run would have to be perfect. Once false move and it was game over.

Her lungs felt like they were on fire. Her heart felt like it was going to explode. Her legs muscles strained under the stress of their newfound use, not having been accustomed to running so hard before. Madelyn pushed herself as hard as she could possibly go. She couldn't give up now. Charlene and Alex had collapsed only a few yards ahead of her, with Hayley closing in on their position. There was the finish line. There was still a chance...

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep ... beep... beep... ... beep.

Madelyn threw herself past the point where Charlene and Alex had fallen just as the beeping got so fast it resembled the sound of a heart monitor flatlining. A wave of relief washed over her as she lay on the ground.

"We... We made it..." Madelyn managed to say as she gasped for air.

"Yeah... we made it girly." Hayley replied in between breaths, equally as exhausted. She pulled out a cigarette and lit it up, taking a much needed drag of nicotine into her system. "Now let's get the fuck outta here."

[Hayley and Madelyn continued in Break Up and Break Down]
Edited by Lawther, Sep 19 2010, 10:11 PM.

V4 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · The Greens · Next Topic »
Add Reply