Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
White Knight Nightmare; B004: Start
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 03:33 PM (5,473 Views)
Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
"Just a few more minutes..." Peter mumbled as the light seeping through his eyelids overwhelmed the dark of sleep. Once he woke up, there'd be a new day to face. If he could just get a little longer to collect himself and plan out the day before getting up, then everything would be- wait a minute.
No, it wasn't a nightmare. Yes, it's real. Stop thinking silly thoughts. Game face on, NOW.
The bed under his body was too hard. There wasn't a warm blanket over him. He was wearing his jeans and shoes. Things just weren't adding up. Peter opened his eyes and bolted up from the ground. Green grass and blue sky surrounded him. Nearby, about two meters away, were his camping backpack and a smaller daypack, tagged "B004".

Right. Survival of the Fittest.
Is there a prize for being slow at figuring things out? I think I just won it.
Peter couldn't help but laugh. Just a few days before the trip, he had been browsing through his usual forum lurks, and happened across a thread discussing the statistics of Survival of the Fittest. Some kid had gotten all worried about an upcoming school trip, and the forum-goers had assured him that the chance of actually getting kidnapped was on the order of 0.05%. The dice clearly hadn't been on Peter's side then.

There were a lot of things to digest, like the fact that he was now in a life or death situation which would very likely result in the death of himself and everyone else in his class, or that he might have to partake in some of the killing. He remembered the little introduction demonstration Danya had put up for them. The smell of blood, the sounds of crying, the sight of death, all of those lingered in the back of his mind. But now was not the time to mull it over.
So when is? Don't run from this.
Peter went over to his backpack. He hadn't seen it earlier from where he had been dropped, but now he could see the sword that apparently was his assigned weapon. Probably better than a gun anyway, considering how bad his aim was. It had a long curved blade, but the style was not anything Peter was familiar with. Considering the kind of joke weapons he had seen in Version 3 of Survival of the Fittest, a sword was at least a passable weapon.

He put the thoughts of the sword aside and started to rummage through his backpack and the daypack. Peter hadn't brought as much of the outdoors gear as he had, like the ball of twine or the unbreakable water bottle. Not that it mattered since they had apparently taken his first aid kit, survival kit, and pocketknife. "Dammit," he muttered after a few minutes of trying to find the tools. They could've been useful, and not just for killing. At least they left his clothes and the snacks he had packed, two bags of sour cream and onion chips. Peter rummaged for a few more moments until his hands closed over a small hard object. "At least I got to keep my vodka and rum." His hiking boots were at the bottom of the backpack, so he pulled them out and swapped them with his runners. No sense carrying around extra weight and walking in sub-optimal footwear.

The daypack had a few of the useful survival tools that had been in his survival kit, so at least Peter wasn't totally lost in the woods. There was also a first-aid kit, which had far more things in it than Peter's own confiscated one had. Guess he couldn't complain too much about what they supplied. The rations and the water rounded out the supplies in the daypack. After clearing a little bit of room at the top of his backpack, he crammed the little daypack into the larger backpack. He'd packed a lot more than was necessary for a long expedition, but Peter didn't want to just leave his stuff out here in the middle of the tall grass.
I gotta stop stalling. There's a lot more to this than just hiking. Gotta put it all into perspective.
Finally, he strapped the sword onto the side of the backpack. Not the best place to put it for easy access, but nobody was nearby so there was no danger for the moment. He shouldered the large backpack, grunting at surprise over how much heavier it had gotten. At best, he could hike for about three hours with something this heavy. Hopefully, he'd find a place to rest and store unnecessary gear by then. After that, he could worry about the rest of the game.
Not later. Now, or else later is going to be when I'm staring down the barrel of a gun.
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
At least now Peter knew what it felt like when he managed to sneak behind someone and surprise them by talking. His muscles tensed up when the silence broke, and he stopped to look around to find the source. A boy, Peter identified as Alexander Campbell, rose from his hiding place in the tall grass, followed shortly by another taller boy, Jonathan Jarocki. If they had been hiding in the grass, how long had they been there? Were they planning on killing him and taking his sword?
God, could I be any more paranoid? They had plenty of time to hit me and they didn't. They should be safe.
"Fuck," Peter muttered under his breath. He had liked the whole idea of not thinking about the game, of not considering what he'd do to survive and who would be in the way of that. Too many variables. Too many possibilities. The thought of having to face it all at once scared him. And now he was forced to face it right now. This at least gave him something to curb the fear with. Now Peter could also be pissed at his own weakness, pissed at his situation, and pissed at those two idiots who forced him into this.

Slowly, Peter let his heavy backpack slide off his shoulders as he listened to Alexander talk. The two of them didn't seem like they were hostile, but if anything went wrong, he'd need to be able to move. At first, it was just the standardized glurge of "I'm not playing"s, but when Alexander said he wanted to escape, Peter's opinion of him just went out the window.
"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Seems oddly appropriate.
"Ha. Ha. Ha." Peter really could not believe that Alexander Campbell, a fairly sharp knife in the drawer, would think that an escape plan could hold any water. "There are patrols in the water. There's probably air surveillance. And then there's these fucking collars." Peter tapped the side of his own collar. "Tracking device, heartbeat monitor, microphone, and remote detonated explosives. This isn't just Danya you're trying to escape from. There's an entire organization behind it, with scientists, engineers, technicians, businessmen, and other experts. How do you plan on beating an organization with just a handful of kids?"
Maybe I should pull the punches? People are less aggravated when not crushed under a wall of cynicism.
A long time ago, when Peter had first happened across Survival of the Fittest, he had wondered about how one might escape from the island under the circumstances. His search on the internet had led him to a discussion about the lengths one would have to go to escape, which summarized that the average unprepared student would have no chance. It wasn't something Peter had wanted to accept, but the truth was in the facts. The same facts that he was now slinging at the two students eager to survive without playing. Peter didn't like the words coming out of his mouth now; he didn't like being the harbinger of bad news. But it was necessary, to keep them from trying something monumentally stupid that got innocent kids killed.
Necessary. Keep thinking that and it'll soon be necessary to kill for shits and giggles.
"Look," Peter said, trying to soften his tone of voice, "you already screwed your chances by talking about an escape plan. They're probably on to you now. Do you know what happened last time someone thought rebelling against Danya was a good idea? People died. Innocent people died." Peter stopped for a moment, trying to remember the names of the previous victims. "Neil Sinclair. You remember him right? He thought it would be a great idea to whack any camera he could see. Four girls, unrelated to him, died for that. Jazzalyn Creed, Wednesday Ryan, Trinity Sparks, and Melissa Diaz. People will die, but it shouldn't be like that."
It's great being all sentimental, but there's something a bit more important and dangerous right in your face.
Peter was observant, but he didn't process all the details at the same time. Sometimes these details were of utmost importance. It had taken a second take for Peter to realize what exactly Jonathan was holding. Maybe he shouldn't have mouthed off at them so quickly. If they wanted to gun him down for refusing, there wasn't much cover in the area to hide behind.
Why not just try to steal the gun? Preferably without killing them. The gun would be handy though.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Alexander Campbell, Peter had deduced, was one of those smart aleck kids that thought the world would bow under their feet. If he really believed he could outsmart Danya's people, then there wasn't much Peter could do to convince him otherwise. This argument was not something he was going to come out on top of, because the other was too blinded by the carrot being dangled for him to see the facts.
Hard to beat someone that has a gun, when all I have is a sword.
Fucking idiots.

Peter would've said something particularly nasty at this point if they hadn't been interrupted by the appearance of a girl rustling her way through the tall grass. Charlene Norris. Peter could recognize those tits from anywhere. She'd been flashing those things around school since the day he'd started, and that didn't get into the more ridiculous things she'd do at some of the parties he'd seen her at. She also wasn't particularly bright, from what Peter could remember. Not somebody he'd want to get involved in a discussion about escaping. He gave her a glance acknowledging her presence.
Gotta admit, she IS hot. Also stupid.
At least her interruption had given him time to rethink what he was about to say. Acting like an insufferable prick to an insufferable idiot when guns were involved was definitely not... tactful.

And then Alexander Campbell had gone on and on about how there might be a way out, presumably his inspired master plan. If he was going to just keep talking about it, Peter was just going to leave. He dug the island map out from its hiding spot in his pocket. There was a building not too far in the distance, so he was probably at the greens. He could at least store his sleeping bag and some of his heavier clothes away there, so it would be his next destination.
Also, there might be fresh meat there to carve. Guns are such a killjoy.
A piece of paper flitting in the gentle breeze drew Peter's attention back to the two guys in front of him. Well, at least he had smartened up a little and stopped using nearly as easily trackable ways of communication. He took the paper and held it up to read.
For the record, I think they were trying to keep the paper covert. Nice job breaking it.
It was still a flawed idea, but it had a better chance of working than an escape. Relatively, a 1% increase from 0 was an amazing increase in odds, but it was still objectively 1% odds. "This is a stupid plan," Peter started, but understanding hit him. These guys had already felt the fear of the game, and were trying to cling on to the one thing positive they had left: hope.
False hope. They're still going to die and it's gonna suck for them.
As long as they had that, they wouldn't play. In a way, Peter would be protecting them from some of the horrors of the game. They needed that hope, and Peter was about to just blow the whole thing up in their faces. But there was still time to recover.
Ooooh. How about ninjas? That'll keep them from gunning you down.
"I have no idea how you plan on finding the tank you need for this plan. Do you guys even know how to drive a tank? Jeez...." It wasn't the best of misinformation campaigns, but hopefully Alexander and Jonathan would get that he wasn't totally against their plan. "There might still be some cars around. Hopefully one of you guys know how to hotwire." He passed the sheet of paper back to Alexander, when Jonathan made a comment that made Peter scowl. A kid like that wasn't doing Alexander's plan any favors. Still, Peter had to give them whatever hope they could find. "Also, make good use of your maps. Make sure everyone you find studies it carefully. If there's any way off the island, your first hint will be there."
Wow. Could I be any less clear? Nobody's going to get it because nobody picks apart sentences like me.
Maybe they wouldn't understand it. Peter sometimes put way too much subtlety into his words, which were offset by the times he'd say something without thinking. If they could find somebody to recognize the map and dispatch help....

Peter shook the idea out of his head. He wasn't going to get suckered into it like some others. He needed to stay focused on what was real and in front of him.
Real: three people that are also in a kill or be killed situation. If I get lucky, I can kill all three. Starting with the gun.
He slung his backpack over his shoulder with a grunt. "Good luck with your plan. You'll need it." Peter started walking, taking large steps over the annoying tall grass. It didn't look like a particularly short walk over to the building. There'd be some time to think while he walked.
Boooooring. I hope there's someone to cut up in that building.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tall grass was not fun to hike through. You couldn't half-shuffle your feet through it since the grass would always get in the way. Instead, you had to make giant awkward steps like you were preparing to stomp with righteous fury onto an anthill. The heavy backpack on Peter's shoulders did not help; he had to take extra care to not fall over with every lurching step.

Okay, maybe that was being a bit too unfair to the grass. As he slowly tromped his way toward the building, he could at least feel some appreciation for the surroundings. The vibrant green grass brushed his knees as they reached for the sky, evidence of several months or more since the grass had last been tended. It was refreshing in a way, being able to experience nature in a pristine state. Even when he had gone hiking, much of the environment close to the trails bore evidence of the regular passage of people: fallen logs sawed apart to clear paths, steps made of embedded wood or rock, and all the conveniently cleared underbrush. What he was walking through now was more like that time he had gone on a difficult trail up in the mountains. That trail itself was extremely rugged, as only a handful of people went up every summer. Some parts of the trail were still snowed over, while others could only be passed by a little bit of rock climbing. It had been a good experience, though other people seemed to shy away from trying something like that again.
Maybe because it's stupidly hard, and I'm crazy enough to want to do it again. Can't blame other people for being sane.
Peter was so busy admiring the scenery and reminiscing that he almost didn't hear his name getting called out. He whipped his gaze around from the grass at his feet to see if it was the group he had just left behind, but they weren't making any motion which might note that they were trying to catch his attention. Peter shook his head and turned back to continue walking. Not even a day in and I'm already hearing voices.
Try looking forward, dumbass. She's right in front.
He was about to take another step when he noticed a pair of legs mixed in with the blades of grass right in front of him. At least he had avoided crashing into somebody. That could've been embarrassing. Peter looked up from the grass and was confronted with a girl's face, which seemed red and puffy from what probably was a whole lot of crying. Where the hell did she come from? Was she crying? What can I do for her?
Wow. Back to the knight in shining armor routine? Doesn't that get old?
A few realizations hit Peter almost simultaneously. First was that the girl in front of him was Eiko Haraguchi, a Japanese girl that had transferred to Bayview at the beginning of the school year. He hadn't had any classes with her, since she seemed to focus more on courses like economics or the more artsy stuff. There was that one time he had been dragged to GODspeed that she had popped in to audit the club. Rachel clearly hadn't been amused with Eiko though. Peter felt sorry for her. She had been pulled out of her home to come to America, and then just when that had started to be okay, she was thrown into this game.
She also has few friends. Few close connections that would keep her from playing. Best to keep an eye on her.
The second thing he realized was that she was the one that had called out his name a few moments ago. Now that he thought about it, the voice had been afflicted with the slight accent that was unique to Eiko. Maybe it had been harder to recognize because it lacked her usual air of formality mixed with snootiness. Or maybe it was because Peter was just bad at recognizing people by their voices; he made do by being better with visual identification.

The third thing he realized was that he had the compelling urge to step up to her and give her a comforting hug. Of course that was highly inappropriate for the occasion. He barely knew the girl, and she might assume his approach was a threat and do something rash. If she made a lot of noise, or started running, then things could get out of hand really quickly.
She also might have a weapon and attack. Don't be fooled by the tears.
Looking into Eiko's eyes, Peter gave a curt nod to acknowledge her presence. He raised his arms up to show that he was unarmed and took a slow step toward the girl. "Eiko," he said in a voice he hoped was as comforting as it sounded in his head, "are you hurt? Are you okay?" He took another slow step, doing his very best to not make the motion intimidating. He was going to make sure she felt safe. "Everything's going to be okay, Eiko. I'll..." I'll what? Hug her? Kill her? What the hell am I going to do?
I can't do anything for her. May as well just kill her now, and save her the pain of going through this game.
He looked again at Eiko. Her face was streaked with some of her makeup that had started to run from the tears. In another time and another place, he might've even thought she looked somewhat cute. But now the only thing that crossed his mind was how much he wanted to hold her close, so that she would feel safe. He wanted to protect her from this game.
I can't protect anyone. She'll die, and I'll die. It's not worth it.
I'll protect her.
So because there's a damsel, I become the knight? God this is so cliche.
"I'll protect you," Peter muttered, almost inaudibly. Saying the words gave it power. The words were a binding contract to his will. So he repeated the words, once again, with more volume and confidence. He'd protect the girl. It was what he'd always wanted to do. Be the hero and stand up against the aggressor. Fight for the sake of the people close to him. Sacrifice his own comfort and safety for those of others.

He'd protect everyone.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Peter hadn't really worked out all the possible outcomes of him trying to be all chivalrous to Eiko: a side effect of doing things impulsively instead of thinking it through logically. Not that it was easy to be all reasonable when faced with a cute crying asian girl. Now that she was hugging him, and crying on his shoulder, and being a model distressed damsel, it was even harder to think straight. This is awkward as fuck.
Take advantage of this. She's weak and an easy target.
Again, instinct took over, and Peter gently wrapped his arms around Eiko's shoulders, rocking her gently as she cried. It felt oddly natural for him. In the past, Peter might've been that shoulder to cry on for some close friends, but Eiko was just someone he knew in passing from school. If it weren't for Survival of the Fittest, he might never had spent much time with her or even talked to her. Regardless, they were together now because of the circumstances imposed by the game. Still, he didn't know her very well, and he felt limited in his options to comfort her.

Still, he didn't want to let go. It was a position that felt too right to give up. Something in his head was telling him that he needed to take a step back and look at the whole situation again. That was unimportant. What was important was that he was going to protect Eiko.

Then, as sudden as it had begun, Eiko pushed herself off him, sputtering an apology. She was back into her calm collected self that she kept up back in school. Peter couldn't blame her, it was a mask that she was comfortable with. Just as it was for him. Now that she wasn't hugging him and making him feel sort of fuzzy and non-thinky, he could tackle the situation the way he always tried to do: with a plan.
Because plans always go well. Face it, plans don't stay intact past step 1.
"I won't tell anyone," he said jokingly. Not that anyone would be surprised to see a girl break down into tears because of the game. He caught her gaze drifting past him to the people that he had left behind. "Don't go near those guys," He said as he gestured to the group with a jerk of his arm. "They've got a stupid plan that'll probably get all of them killed. Jarocki's with them and he'll probably-" Peter cut himself off before he completed the thought. Wait. Am I really thinking that?"
Honesty only works when I'm NOT filtering everything through my brain first.
"Jarocki's with them and I don't trust him," he amended. He then pointed forward toward the large mansion not too far away. "I'm heading there to drop off some of my stuff," Peter shrugged his shoulders, making the heavy backpack bob in unison with the motion, "then we'll figure out what to do from there." Stepping past her, Peter started to make his way toward the mansion.

What plan? In retrospect, Peter had no idea how he was going to protect Eiko. He couldn't just hide her in a hole or something like that; somebody could stumble on her and then he'd be nowhere nearby. So he had to bring her along with him as he looked for people that wouldn't play. But that didn't answer the question of how he was going to protect her.

Would he take a bullet for her? It seemed like a very inefficient way to protect somebody. He'd die after jumping in the way, and that would just leave her vulnerable again. Also, lots of pain was involved. Peter wasn't even sure if he could bring himself to do that for Eiko. He still barely knew her. Sacrifice wasn't something to be thrown around lightly.

Maybe help her get away if a situation went bad? He could distract an enemy while she ran away. But then they'd be separated, which would lead to other possible bad things. Also, there was no guarantee that he could come out of something like that in one piece.

He could take out anyone that was a threat. Preferably not killing them, but players would probably not stop killing just because they'd been knocked out or disarmed. Peter only had a sword, but he knew it was better than a lot of other weapons that some kids got. He didn't know how to use it beyond swinging it at random, but hopefully that'd be the most he'd need to do. Still, this option likely involved killing others. Peter wasn't sure if he could do that, not even to protect somebody else.

Peter mused on this as he continued to walk toward the mansion. There were no other plausible options: all of them boiled down to one of the scenarios he had considered. With a sigh, he pushed it out of mind again. There were too many things riding on the decision. He'd cross the bridge when he came to it. That was the only way to handle things now.
Missed an option: kill her. That'll protect her from the rest of the horrors of the game.

((Peter Siu continued in Don't go breaking my heart...))
V5

V4

Rest in peace

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · The Greens · Next Topic »
Add Reply