Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Ten Shades of Gray; B067 Start --- Private Thread
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 02:05 PM (9,137 Views)
Ciel
Member Avatar
"Thatís not a prediction, thatís a spoiler.Ē
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(G030 - Jessica Pentangeli START)

The first thing that popped into Jessica Pentangeliís mind was that her cheek burned. She opened her heavy eyes slowly, almost drunkenly. She felt her cheek with the back of her palm. Blood rushed through her body as she woke up. Jessica bit down on her lip as she struggled to sit up. Her body felt so dead. She clenched her fists together as she shook herself off. Jessica thought she was still dreaming. No, she didn't think, she KNEW. Jessica rubbed her head as she zipped open the bag and fished for her bottle of Advil. She didn't found her Ipod but no bottle of Advil. She did find something that made her blood turn cold.

Jessica Pentangeli held the Pneu-Dart equipment Model 176B CO2 Powered Rifle (if it weren't for the darts, Jessica would have confused it with an actual gun!) close to her chest, her eyes half-open. As the full reality of her situation settled in, she wished she had just died while she was asleep. But it wasnít like she had a choice in the matter. She hadnít had a choice in a lot of things. The only reason she came on this stupid trip was because Alex, Josie and Meredith Hemmings. Meredith Hemmings for Christ sake. She didnít participate in anything. If she went on this trip then why couldnít Jessica? There wouldnít be any harm in it. It would be fun. Yeah right.

No. That wasn't why she came. Sure all three girls were her friends, but when she really thought about it, she came because Nick LeMonde was going.

Jessica kept her mouth shut. She didn't say anything. In the distance, she could see a figure walking around. The drugs in her system were making her trip so she couldn't tell who it was exactly.

Her thoughts went to Nick LeMonde for reasons she could not say.

Now was not the time to think about him.

Jessica looked down sadly. She didnít say anything. Jessica was just a nice quiet girl from Minnesota. To be honest she didnít like many of the kids in her school, downright hated a good few of them but that was normal right? Everyone could say that. Jessica was just a normal kid. Yeah, sure, it would be a lie to say that she had never wanted to kill anyone, but she had never said that in the literal sense. She had never wanted to take a shotgun and blow someoneís head off! Only deranged people ever actually considered doing that!

Jessicaís thoughts turned grim. Where was Nick? Oh no. Could something had happened to him?

She heard the gunshot and she sprang up suddenly. She held the rifle close as she fumbled for the darts. She loaded the dart gun as quickly as an amateur could and twisted around to look towards the figure. Apparently the two boys had not noticed her from far away and had gone about their business on their own. Jessica was deeply scared now and she held the gun as tight as she could. Her head was still groggy. She could only make an outline of one person but not much else.

"...H-Hello? What's going on?"
Edited by Ciel, Aug 9 2010, 09:52 PM.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Omar?" Jessica gasped, her vision slowly returning to her. "Omar, is that you?"

Jessica was still very confused. Where the heck was she? The blur in front of her, it looked vaguely like Omar but she wasn't all that sure. She had heard from Josie that he knew Sierra, but she didn't know all that much about him. She felt something hit her in the arm and she scrambled to grab it. A water bottle. Omar was being so nice to her but... why?

"Oh, um, thanks?" Jessica replied, scratching the side of her head with the end of the bottle. Omar told her to take care and Jessica smiled sadly at him. "Uhh, you be careful too Omar. Really."

Jessica opened the cap to the bottle Omar gave her and drank from it, her bottom lip still numb. She wiped her lips with the back of her hand. Jessica coughed into her hand, tightening the cap back on the bottle. Jessica let out a sigh as she rested on the ground, her knees digging into the dirt beneath her. Guess I'll have to get up, she concluded. Now or never...

Jessica rose to her feet and brushed the dirt off her knees. She left her daypack and the opened bottle of water on the ground, and stretched her arms out, her tanktop riding up past her bellybutton. The drugs were wearing down now, and Jessica found herself... calming down. Funny. She looked around. It looked like she was in a town somewhere. Otherwise she really couldn't tell exactly. There was this big building, with a fountain nearby containing a figure of a naked woman. And then there was - wait, what was that? Jessica squinted her eyes. She started walking over to the figure on the floor with the rifle in her hands. It looked human... but there was a huge hole in it's chest? And all the red on the -

There was a corpse on the floor. The blood was still flowing, forming a large puddle that hurt Jessica's eyes just looking at it. The pool pushed against the side of her shoe.

Jessica turned her whole body away, her hand clasped over her mouth. The bile in the back of her throat seemed endless. This was disgusting sight and she couldn't stand to look at it. Who could have done something like - wait. Didn't Omar have a gun... wait... what?

Omar had killed someone. Omar had shot someone right in front of her, and she had just realized this. What the fuck?!?

ďLook around. Danya had said. "Look at your classmates. How many of them do you truly know? How many would you trust with your life?"

Jessica wanted to scream. Jesus christ. This wasn't a game, this really happened! Jessica couldn't write this off! She couldn't just pretend that this was a dream anymore! Her breathing grew jagged though. It was almost painful to breath now. Her eyes were wide, her hands tightly wrapped around her gun. That was when she heard the voice break the silence, calling out her name. Jessica spun around on her heel and pointed her rifle at the figure in the distance. Recognition came quickly though, and Jessica lowered the rifle.

"Alex?" Jessica gasped. "Alex!"

She rushed over to her friend and with both arms outstretched she hugged Alex for dear life. She wasn't even worried about what kind of weapon Alex had or if she would ever use it. After what she had just seen, she didn't care if Alex was pointing a shotgun at her head! She gripped the sides of Alex's shirt tight, tears of fear and confusion running down her cheeks.

"Alex! Oh my god! I saw Omar Burton! I think Omar killed this guy!" It hurt Jessica to say that, but it had to be true. There wasn't anyone else around with a gun that she knew of. "No, he killed him! I'm sure of that H-He killed him Alex! Everything was so blurry but he came up to me with a gun in his hand a-a-and he told me to be careful! And he was smiling! Omar had a gun! Oh my god! Alex, what the hell is going on?! Someone like Omar, I-I heard that plenty of people didn't like him, that he avoided making friends in class but I didn't expect him to do this! How could he kill someone Alex?! Why?"

This begged the question. Why didn't Omar kill her? He had the opportunity. She had a weapon that he could have used. If he killed one kid then why the hell didn't he kill her too?! It made no sense! What did she do to deserve to live and this kid didn't? Was it because she knew Sierra and Josie? Why would he care?! She had never done anything for him! Why would he be so nice after killing someone in cold blood?! Why?!!

"Ahh..." Jessica's head was pounding. The drugs in her system were wearing down. She felt tired all of a sudden. Probably from all the yelling. She let go of Alex, stumbling away and bowing her head apologetically. "S-Sorry..."

Fiona came walking over and Jessica turned to look at her. She bit her lip, feeling a little wobbly in her legs. "Hi..." She left her mouth open, as though she were about to say something else, but she didn't say anything else. She would just let Alex do all the talking for now. She didn't feel like talking that much.

Niklas Kronwall was simply trying to be open in a very delicate situation. Jessica overreacted immensely but could you blame her? Jessica lifted her rifle off the ground, surprised by Nik's sudden appearance. She wasn't going to fire it, oh certainly not, but it almost looked like she was going to. She lowered it quickly though when she realized who it was. Nik was nice, though like most of her classmates she had never really spoken to him outside of the classroom. With one quick move she brushed the hair out of her eyes.

"Hey Nik." She said. "I'm -" She panted, holding her head. "... fine. " She looked at Nik, her hands trembling against the dart gun in her hand. She motioned to his gun with the barrel of her rifle. "I see that... you're lucky."

Jessica wanted to force a smile. She couldn't bring herself to do it. She wasn't in the mood.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alex was trying to calm Jessica down and for all intent and purposes it was working. Jessica shuddered and tried her best not to look back at the corpse that used to be Warren Brown when Fiona started talking about him. She couldn't help it though. She looked back, feeling the muscles in her throat tighten up. She was thirsty again and she looked back at the bag in the flowerbed she found herself in. She looked back at Nik, trying something, anything to focus on other than Warren.

Yet, they weren't going to understand unless she explained everything. Jessica tried to recall everything that happened previously.

"I couldn't see much," Jessica spoke earnestly. "My eyesight wasn't all that great, I-I had just woken up. I could see a body and someone hovering over it. Had to be Omar now that I think about it. He had a gun in his hand, I remember that and-" her face grew pale, almost disgusted. "What I remember most about our conversation was that he was... smiling. He killed someone in cold blood and he threw a bottle at me, told me to take care of myself and walked off. He was smiling the whole time, and I bought it! It wasn't until a minute later when I..."

Jessica took a deep breath. It wasn't going to help her case if she freaked out. Calm down, like Alex told her. Deep breaths.

"To be honest I wouldn't have a clue where he would go... He went that way." She pointed past Fiona and down the street. "And anyone he would be looking for? Well, Omar mentioned Sierra Manning. I don't know her all that well, but she's a friend of Josie Vernon. That might be why he didn't bother killing me, because I knew Sierra." She looked back at Alex. "Josie told me that she's going out with Omar, I think. If that's the truth then..." Jessica went quiet for a moment. She really didn't want to think badly of anyone. She gulped. "Then... I don't know. Maybe he's playing for her? I don't know..."

She held her head in her hands. This was too much to take in. It made Jessie's head very numb, too much information, too much bullshit to process. She kept quiet for the next minute, switching between looking at Fiona and Nik. Nik was suggesting that they get into a group. Jessie forced a smile. Yeah, that sounded like a good idea. Groups made her nervous in real life, but here they sounded... smart. Jessica could get behind Nik's reasoning. He sounded like a good leader and it was true, they had good weapons. Really good weapons. That could be a great advantage to them.

"I like it." Jessica left her thoughts at that as she looked back at Alex. "What do you think Alex?"
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessica was not a fan of crowds. In fact she downright hated them. They made her nervous. In her normal everyday life, big gatherings of people that she did not know in the exact same place made Jessica squeamish. Calling it a phobia would be pushing it. Calling it overreacting would be fair. Even Jessica knew her fear was irrational, but in this case it seemed very appropriate. Too many people meant too many risks. Too many people meant greater chances to run into someone like Omar. Too many people. Too many weapons. Too many awkward pauses. Too many glares. Just too much of everything.

Jessica didn't like the looks on Cassidy and Maria's faces, not one bit. She knew that they had to be shocked about Warren but Jessica could sense something in their faces. It didn't matter that they were pretty far away, it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they were wondering what the hell happened. Dustin's reaction seemed to solidify this - he even out-overreacted Jessica. They would definitely not jump to conclusions but at the same time -

Jessica looked over at Nik. He had a gun. They were definitely going to see him and think murderer. It was ridiculous, Jessica knew this, but Jessica was sure that had she stumbled across this scene herself she would have come to the same conclusion.

"Nng..."

The headache got worse. Jessica pressed her hand against her forehead, taking a reflexive step back. She accidentally bumped into Alex. She spun around and bowed her head apologetically.

"Sorry," Jessica said. Her face flushed and she turned away from her friend.

It was around this time where Jessica noticed her surroundings. The center of town was absolutely beautiful and it definitely didn't look run down. Jessica wouldn't lie - she had watched the last season of Survival of the Fittest. The place looked like an abandoned military base or something. The forums seemed to say that at the very least. The point she was mentally driving at was that last season the stage looked rundown. Decrepit. It didn't appear to have been in use for a long time. Now she was spinning around, looking at the center of town. It looked like it had been used very recently, and apart from the graffiti across the edge of the fountain not a single thing looked at all ruined. It was as much of a uplifting thought as it was disturbing. Were people really living here? And if they were, what the hell happened to them?

A girl wandered out of a nearby house. An asian girl with black hair and a very colorful set of clothes. It almost intimidated Jessica, though it wouldn't take much to intimidate her. The girl asked if anyone had some paint. No one answered. Jessica forced a smile, a small one where only the edges of her lips seemed to move up. She didn't really know why the girl wanted paint, but it wasn't her place to ask.

"Sorry," she said without a hint of enthusiasm. "No paint."

Jessica remembered the girl from school, but then who wouldn't recognize her? Jessica could not recall a name, but whenever the girl passed her in the hall her eyes would always catch her. She looked like she jumped straight out of one of those Japanese cartoons. Anime, yeah, that was the name. Those green eyes, the tied hair and the longcoat. She looked like she was pulled straight out of there. Jessica had never really been a fan of Anime. She could remember this one show, Cowboy Bebop. They always aired it on late at night and Jessica didn't have a vcr in her room, so she would stay up late at night and watch it. She would be tired the next morning but that never seemed to bother her. Most of the other ones she had seen were so boring that they almost put her to sleep, but Jessica could easily point out the bizarre features Mizore had. It wasn't an insult, just very distinct details caught her eye.

Jessica had memories flooding her mind. Looking at her now reminded Jessica of her home. It made Jessie smile. Jessica was in her happy place. She was calm. And then Nik had to go bringing her back down to earth.

"...what?" Jessica whispered, turning to Nik.

To be honest, Jessica had not been paying attention to the beginning Nik's speech. Until he got to the part where he said they were going to bury Warren. Ridiculous. It would be way too much trouble.

Jessica didn't want to sound, well, selfish but Jessica was not going to be digging up dirt just to drop Warren in there. What sort of burial would that be? They would have to drop Warren in the hole like a sack of potatoes where he'd be eaten by maggots and other bugs and the thought of that alone made Jessica want to disagree. Besides, was it going to make a big difference if they did something with Warren's body or not? It was grim but Jessica knew the second that she woke up that unless someone rescued them (the chances of which were slim to say the very least) that there were going to be bodies. Plenty of them. Over two-hundred of them. Burying one person was not going to make one bit of difference. If you bury one, you'd have to bury them all, killer or not.

Jessica just did not see the point. No, that wasn't why Jessica didn't want to do it. Touching a dead body seemed to cross an unseen boundary that Jessica was on the verge of crossing. Jessie was afraid to cross it, like she would become less of a person if she took one step over the line.

"I think..." Jessica started but she hung it out. She stopped and looked over at Alex. Was she all for this? Alex had been the one who asked about what they were going to do with Warren. Was she fine with this? Jessica looked over at the girl in the longcoat, her eyes pleading. She didn't say anything but it would be very easy to tell that she was asking the girl "Are you actually going to go along with this?!" with a very rushed "Please say yes." Maybe if Mizore actually agreed with her, then that would prove that Jessica wasn't crazy, that burying seemed like an extreme.

Jessica turned back. She felt a little guilty. "I-I'm sorry," Jessica gulped."but "I mean, don't you think that seems extreme?"

She looked at Cassidy and Maria. Jesus, Jessica really hoped that she wasn't talking to dead air. At the time it felt like she was right. "I-I didn't know him, Warren I mean, b-but I don't think it'll..." she wanted to say that it wasn't going to matter, but she didn't want to sound hateful. "What I mean is that, uhh, i-if we bury Warren then we have to bury everyone else we see." She gulped, shoulders straight, her heart pounding. Calm down Jessie... Be blunt, don't beat around the bush."No one really deserves to be here. It's a shame. However, I think burying Warren will just be a waste of time and just give someone with a very good weapon the opportunity to send us along with him. I feel sorry for him, really, and I really don't want to be the selfish one here but we've got to think about ourselves and not worry about people that have already lost. If we keep ourselves stuck in the past then we can never truly move forward, and if I know anything it's that the ones who are going to survive aren't the ones who kill the most. It's those who know who "

Jessica stopped. She hadn't planned on talking for so long. She looked around, finally realizing that she had grown a little more confident. She was standing up straight with her arms crossed and pressed against her chest, Her eyes met with the back of Nik's head. "I don't want to sound like the bad guy. We just have to be logical here. Acting like this is only going to get us hurt."
Edited by Ciel, Aug 31 2010, 09:05 PM.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessica watched Maria cry, every fiber of her being exposed like some sick act at a sideshow. Jessica felt shameful for watching her as long as she did, and felt nauseous for being so curious. This was no fun to watch. It didn't amuse Jessica in any way. It wasn't even like a train wreck because a train wreck has so much shock and awe that you can't turn away, not even for a second. There was no reason for Jessica to be watching Maria dig a dingy grave that didn't even look like it covered Warren at all. Jessica knew that she would be a hypocrite.

After this, she felt almost ready to bow her head and shame and mutter "yes sir, sorry sir, won't happen again sir". Jessica should have kept her mouth shut. She thought by saying her peace she would find some tiny bit of hope but all it did was make her feel pathetic. Was she wrong? No, she was sure she was right. She was thinking smart! All the people who died on this show were either too weak, too wreckless or just unlucky, so it was only natural that Jessica tried not to be wreckless. Why couldn't they see that?

Soon enough, Jessica began to notice that the other girl, Cassie, had been glaring at her for some time. Jessica didn't look back and kept her head straight down at Maria but she knew what Cassie was thinking. "How dare you talk like that about my friend!" Had Jessica the spine to go along with her words, she would have glared back and responded. "No, fuck you, he's dead, get over it." but Jessica couldn't do it. Instead, it bothered her to the point of making her want to slap herself.

Mizore agreed with her and promptly left, rather suddenly. It filled Jessica with some hope but not much. Not enough to make her feel better. Why did she feel so guilty? She had done nothing wrong! She was the right one here! Why couldn't they see that? And yet that look of hate drilled holes in her the size of paint cans.

"I-I'm sorry..." She said in a mutter, hoping Cassie would hear her.

She hoped to god her words didn't fall on deaf ears. She knew it wouldn't be heard, and it would just be brushed under the rug like most everything else she ever said. Cassie wouldn't care. No one cared if Jessica was sorry. Who the fuck cared about Jessica Pentangeli, girl #30, the plain chick with the rifle who always skipped class and hung out in a quiet corner at the library? The girl with no friends and who blended into the background? Who cared?

No one, that's who.

No one unless Jessica decided to voice her opinion and even then they would just disregard her. She was with eight people but she felt hopelessly alone. The odd one out.

Jessica was no monster though, this she was sure of. If she had been, she definitely would not feel a single shred of emotion at the sight of Warren's body. Jessica thought that the burial was a waste of time but it wasn't like she didn't feel bad. So was it wrong to think for herself, or to put the safety of the living above the mourning of the dead?

Nik was leaving. Wait, what? When did they decide this? Jessica stared at Nik as he left. Things were moving so fast and she was having trouble keeping up. She was at a crossroads. She didn't know Fiona, barely knew Nik. Would she be safer with them? She looked back at Alex anxiously and grabbed her by the hand.

"Are we going with them?" Jessica asked, tugging on her hand. She looked like a scared puppy. "I-I mean... I don't... C'mon, let's go."

She wanted to add, hastily, nervously that she didn't want to be alone, please stay with her, please don't leave her, but she stilled her tongue. For the moment. She had spoken enough. Now it was time for her to blend into the crowd.

(Jessica continued in Mad World)
Edited by Ciel, Sep 8 2010, 05:14 PM.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Zach Jamis continued from A Pit Stop of Sorts)

"Waste of time."

Zach just grimaced. He had just broken into five different houses and not a single thing. No food, no clothes, a ratty old bed MAYBE. Not even makeshift weapons. All that was left were the creaky wood panels that made up the floors, and Zach sure as hell had no crowbar to get at those. Everything had been empty. They had just passed a pub but Zach was into that. Breaking into a pub? If there weren't going to be anything in the houses then there sure wasn't going to be shit in the pub. What was the point?

"I should have expected them to have emptied the houses out but for shit's sake, why the hell couldn't they have left SOMETHING there?"

Zach wasn't really angry about not finding any supplies. He just hated wasting his time. Every second was precious, and while you could make an argument that Zach wasn't playing the game smart (then again he wasn't exactly playing it at all at this stage), you can sure as hell say that he was making every second on this island count. Zach grit his teeth before taking a drag on his almost finished cigarette.

They were almost at the end of the road. How long had they been walking? Had to be like a hour or so. He hadn't expected this town to be so big. This island was turning out to have more surprises than he really wanted to know. This was like learning terrible things about his parents. It left a bad taste in his mouth. Didn't mix well with the cigarette.

There was something in the distance. Zach squinted his eyes.

"Sam," Zach started as he flicked the butt of his now-finished cigarette onto the ground. He didn't stop walking. "What is that?"

IT was a naked chick. Granted, she was stone and she was worse for the wear with graffiti lined all over it, but damn. What would the children think? Zach almost chuckled, almost, before reaching for another cigarette reflexively. He was going to make each one last though. No Zach. Put the fucking lighter down. As he finally got him to stop, he finally realized the

Dustin fuckin' Royal, captain of the SS douchebag, was coughing a lung up like the puss that he was. Jesus. Zach had just walked away from vomit, he didn't want to start walking in it again. Shit. And there was Aquafina, the chick in his one English class. One of those writers that always read their shit in front of the class. Zach had always thought Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening was about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening. Making it represent things that it does not won't help solve world hunger, that was for damn sure. Aquafina was looking down at something...

A patch of dirt. Looked like it was dug up and then replaced. A pitiful grave that was so pitiful that Zach couldn't even figure out what it was for. Zach furrowed his brow and told Royal and Aquafina just what he was thinking.

"Just what in the fucking hell is going on?!"

He really needed another cigarette.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The second Dustin cooed "M'lady," someone started laughing. Loudly. It wasn't Samya, she looked like she just ate something really sour. Not Cassie - she was too busy staring at something. Simon? No, he wasn't the kind of kid who would laugh like that. Then who was left? There was...

Zach Jamis was... laughing?

Zach Jamis was laughing. No, not just laughing. He was bellowing, at the top of his lungs. Laughing at Dustin.

"Royal," he snrked, "you're a sad fuck y'know that?"

He wiped a tear out of his eye. Dustin Royal was hitting on Ash? SERIOUSLY? Zach had to admit, Ash wasn't hard on the eyes, but it wasn't like she was the only girl around! Holy shit! That was a laugh and a half! What the hell was wrong with this asshole? Zach couldn't stop laughing. His stomach was on fire and he couldn't stop laughing! Dustin wasn't joking. He wasn't joking! He really wanted to sex it up! Right now! Right here! What a creep! He didn't think Royal was that desperate.

Zach stopped after a minute. He was out of breath.

"Haha... go fuck yourself. Really. No one likes you."

Okay, back to outright ignoring Dustin. Zach's face went blank again, almost instantaneously. Back to being Zach Jamis.

Jesus he needed a smoke.

He turned to Doc and Aquafina. They were talking about someone, Warren Brown. Name was familiar. Zach didn't care. His problem was the grave. What the hell was this shit? It looked like a five-year old dug this up with a shovel and pail. Jesus christ. Zach was about to start laughing again.

"You mean to tell me this is a grave? Just looks like you filled in a pothole." Zach scratched his head. "Put a stick in there or somethin'. A tombstone, y'know? Jesus, I would hate to step over that thing and have it cave in. At least make a mark-"

The announcements screeched. It made Zach sick to his stomach. Nineteen people dead. Over ten people actually wanted to play this shit. Zach tried to force himself to stand still. Didn't work. The cigarette was in his mouth before he could stop himself.

Flick. Light. Click. Inhale. Exhale.

"It's gonna be one loooong week."

Zach pocketed the lighter and held his cigarette between his fingers.

"Alright, alright." Zach growled, rubbing the back of his head. "I don't like talking so this is going to be short. We have a group together. Four people, with you two it makes six. Six people is alot. Whatever. You want in, that's cool. If you don't, then that's cool too. I, like, don't care."
Edited by Ciel, Sep 15 2010, 10:01 PM.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Zach had this huge speech planned. It was going to blow the pants off of the jerk-off named Dustin FUCKING Royal, but that really depended on the guy actually disagreeing with him. Hell, Zach was so sure that Dustin would be an egotistical asshole and say "No, no way man, lemme go sit over here and drool Dauurggghhh!" No, he had to be a dismissive little bitch, leaving Zach biting his tongue. He was holding himself back. Zach really wanted to beat the shit out of this little bitch so hard.

No, he was a leader. Maybe bossing people around wasn't be as fun as he thought it would be. Bah. Then, thankfully, Aquafina spoke up and chewed Royal out. Zach grinned. Huh. Aquafina wasn't so bad after all. She said all he needed to say. The grin didn't last long, and it was replaced with his cigarette.

Zach just focused on the hole. Lame hole. Zach could have dug something much better with his bare hands. Yeah, damn well knew that. Heh. Bugs must be eating Warren now. Bad image. Zach closed his eyes tight. This cig wasn't helping him calm down. He was shaking again. God damn it.

That was when he came back to reality. He turned and noticed Maria.

The fuck was Raggedy Ann's problem? She looked like shit.

...Raggedy Ann? Jesus, she didn't even have red hair. You're losing it Zach. He shook his head, holding his palm to his forehead. He didn't say anything. This was rare but Zach thought it would be best to stay silent. Zach knew this wasn't good. They had a girl that was out of it, beaten to a bloody pulp. They were out in the open, slash that, they HAVE been out in the open for hours on end. Now Ash was asking what they should do and the last thing they should do is stay out here. Zach knew what they had to do. Seemed like the only good idea.

"Alright." Zach said. "This isn't a great place to discuss plans. We need to find a safe haven, some place to crash, whatever. There's a rec room not that far away, didn't check the place out but it looks completely empty. It's better than just staying out here. And with her around," he motioned to Maria, "it's important that we find a place that ain't so open. You got me? Only option we have, what with all seven of... uh, us?"

Zach just stared. Samya was in his line of view but he could make someone out. Jesus christ. Samya wasn't, uhh, fat, that wasn't what he meant at all. The thing he was trying to look at though was so far away. Wait, shit, that was somebody. Zach wasn't sure who. Fuck, he wasn't sure of the names of half of his group but at least he's seen their faces. Never seen this guy around. Ever. Frankly it was frustraiting. He had enough people to deal, what with a giggling girl, the Doc, Samya and Dustin fucking Royal. Kid raising his hands in the air. Hell was he doing?

"... Hey" Zach pointed to the boy. He turned to Samya. "You see that guy over there? What's he doing?" Zach shouted. "Hey. The shit are you doing man?"

Fuck peace. All Zach cared about was understanding what the hell was going on.
Edited by Ciel, Sep 26 2010, 10:28 PM.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Biggest GM of all time approved by all parties. I'm pretttyyy sure we're all in agreement here but if you guys want to make an individual post you're welcome to do so, just give a shout.)

Everyone was talking. Why the fuck was everyone talking? Did he need to hear what everyone else thought? Samya made a strong point but Zach brushed it aside.

"Just because it doesn't look like he has a gun don't mean he's clean, Sam."

Zach exhaled. This was just one big clusterfuck. Before he could keep track of everyone but now it was becoming a difficult task. A task Zach didn't want to fuck with. Doc and Ash were asking him shit. What the fuck was he supposed to do, just nod and say yes to make them happy? Zach never had to deal with this shit before. What was worse was that Dustin fucking Royal got snippy with him. It made him really want to grab the small-dicked fuck by the colar, lift him off his feat and scream.

"Royal, you're -this- close from earning a lifetime supply of knuckle sandwiches. Savy motherfucker?"

Course he didn't say that. He just fumed.

Doc seemed worried about food and water. More specifically, the lack thereof. Zach never ate much so the lack of food wasn't much of a change. He wanted a chicken, a roasted chicken with herbal spices and that shit, but it wasn't like he was worried about it. Not now. If he was hungry, he would eat. If he was thirsty, he would drink water. Simple shit. He would conserve his shit because Zach had the habit of always conserving his shit so it was only a problem of taste more than anything. Bread and water wasn't listed as the house special at the The Varsity but this shit was better than nothing.

That reminded Zach of the soup that The Varsity always served. With like cheese and crumpets or some shit. French Onion?

Zach... pushed that thought out of his mind and went back to Alfalfa. The dude was talking but there were five voices talking at once. Zach put a hand up.

"Ash, Doc, shut the fuck up. The man's talking. You deaf or somethin'?"

Alfalfa elaborated on how he was just proving how safe he was. Had the air of sarcasm around him. Zach didn't like it, and he bit the boy just as quickly as he reached his hand out.

"I can see that you ain't got no gun," Zach growled. "I ain't stupid. Don't have one in your hand at least. Could have one in your bag. Could have one in your backpocket. Could have one shoved up your ass for all I know. Waving your hands around ain't doing shit and it definitely ain't making me trust you any more."

Zach pulled apart the kids logic like any asshole would to a scared kid. Fuck this "I'm innocent, here, let me prove it" nonsense. Zach didn't give his trust lightly and frankly doing what Alfalfa did would make Zach even more suspicious. It was like Alfalfa had someone holding him up at gun point, and decided to just hide behind him until the right time presented itself. That was certainly fuckin' possible, what with Alfalfa being built like a goddamn tree.

Alfalfa went on to talk about how he had so-called saved Raggedy Ann. Zach didn't buy into any of that crap. Anyone who did a good deed for the sake of telling others was not being selfless. Zach did find it unbelievable that so much time had passed.

"Yesterday evening?" Zach held his head. "The sun set like a fuckin' hour ago. 'Least, it felt like it. My biological clock is like ten hours early or something."

Time flies when you're waiting to be killed, huh Zach?

He kept listening to the boy, giving a tiny sagely nod with every passing moment. It wasn't that he was growing to trust Alfalfa. He just listened, and he was still listening around the time Alfalfa lowered his arms and dropped the bombshell.

Zach knew that Raggedy Ann got fucked up. He didn't know by who though. Fuck.

"Phil Ward did that shit?"

Zach looked down at Raggedy Ann. Girl was a bruised pear. Zach felt... upset about this, for the girl or for himself he wasn't sure.

"Phil Ward?"

Zach had assumed that there were only fifteen people actually fighting. He had been stupid enough to assume the number of good guys outweighed the bad guys. Zach knew Phil Ward. The guy was a knobgobbler but hearing about him doing this shit blew Zach's mind. The guy was a complete pushover. He never SPOKE to anyone. He could see Kensrue ripping a kid to shreds but Ward?

"... didn't think the pussy had it in him."

Zach sat on this. He ignored Alfalfa's last question. He went to inhale again. The cigarette was down to the filter.

"... you gotta be fucking kidding."

Zach took it out of his mouth. He went quiet. Zach let the filter dangle from his fingers for just a second. It fell, bouncing on the ground, the orange strings of ash floating from the impact. His mind went back to what Alfalfa had said. Half the fuckin' forest? Smokey Bear must be bawling like a baby right about now. Zach crushed it with his toe and closed his eyes. He thought.

Well Zach. Look what you got yourself into. You're the leader of a group of kids. You don't know them, you don't want to know them, and all of them are looking at you like you've got answers. They could be playing you for a fool, like a sheep and you wouldn't know it. Up 'til now you thought they were just blind sheep. Now any of them could be wolves that bought sheep clothes from the Save'N'Mart. And you ain't got it in you to kill any one of them.

Nothing you can't handle though. You're the shit Zach, remember? You don't know shit about Da Vinci, you're IQ don't have three digits and school was never your bag. But you're fucking Zach Jamis. You see shit that's beyond everyone else. You don't read between the lines, you pull the lines out of the equation with your bare hands. You got logic. Shit Zach, if you can't turn this negative into a positive then no one can. Now whatchu gonna do Zach?

What 'you gonna do?

And Zach opened his eyes.

"You."

Aquafina looked up, a little surprised. "Me?"

"What's your name?"

Aquafina had a tiny little pout that Zach registered as a sneer. She opened her mouth, in order to complain Zach figured, but he quickly put up a hand up to stop her.

" 'Less you want me calling you Aquafina the rest of the day, I'm gonna need your name."

Aquafina stared at him. She stayed quiet for a moment. "Cassie."

"Cassie," Zach repeated. "Zach Jamis. Not good with names. If I forget, just remind me."

Zach turned to Dustin Royal. Dustin fuckin' Royal, the only guy he wished weren't in the equation at all.

"Royal, you go help Cassie, grab the kid up and carry her." Zach's face softened, just a tad. "Rec Cent' ain't far and Raggedy Ann don't look like she has a muffintop anyway."

Zach felt the urge to grab another smoke creep out but he pacified it. Not now. Not fucking now.

"Alfalfa," he pointed to the new boy. "You stay with them. If they need help you jump in, but otherwise you cover them and make sure no one's lurking on that side."

Zach turned to Ash. "You stay in the back. Need someone to scream bloody murder if someone's creeping up from behind. Think you can handle that?"

He didn't waste time and quickly laid his attention on Doc. "You're the only one with any experience with first aid." Zach wiped his nose. "Then again, you'd be an expert if all you know is how to slap a band-aid on a scrape. We're going to keep you in the middle, keep you safe. You stay alert though, keep your eyes peeled on our blind spot. If you see any shit happening, you let me know."

Zach finally arrived at Sam. Only real friend he had. Only friend with the gun at least. "Sam. Rec Center ain't that far but keep that pea shooter out. I'm putting you up here with me. You're the only one with a gun and if any fuckers try to start shit we need some insurance."

Zach turned away from Sam and looked out at the others. It felt like he had to give a motivational speech. This was a cheesy 80's college movie and he was the energetic newcomer who manages to encourage the rest of the gang to victory. Except Zach was a fucking negative nancy, and positivity (even thinking of that word left a bad taste in his mouth) wasn't this strong point. He was going to have to try though.

"Get your shit together kiddies. We get to the Town Center and we turn it into our hub. I ain't been in there. I don't know if anyone else IS in there. I can't tell you until we're inside. We'll figure out a plan then and if it turns out someone's crashing there... I'll figure something out. Don't worry."

Zach picked up his bag and flung it over his shoulder. "Till then, all you guys need to worry about is not wandering off. If you want to make it to the end of the day, you stick together and you stay alert. If anyone, and I mean anyone tries any funny shit, you say something. Scream, whisper, wave your hands, I don't care, just let us know. Got it?"

Zach hand tugged on his shoulder strap. His voice grew serious. He wasn't good with words. What he was good at was cutting the bullshit. Before they went ahead, he needed to cut some shit out.

"I feel the need to remind you that this isn't high school. Some of you might have caught onto this. Those of you who haven't need to learn. I don't know this show, never fuckin' liked it, made me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. The one thing that I do know is that here, in this hellhole, your friends from school can be your enemies. Yesterday's nerd can be today's Hannibal Lecter. It's unbelievable, sure, but remember the announcement. Think about that. So many dead in one day. Try to spin it all you like, but there has to be at least one person going out of their way to snap some necks. 'An with the amount of kids that went on this trip, I bet there are plenty more that just haven't gotten a chance to shed some blood. I put my life on that.

"So yeah, I'm a hypocrite. Asking you to trust a guy you don't even know. What's an asshole like me doing, telling you what to do? And to that, I ask another question. Why am I putting my trust in you. How do you know that? If I didn't trust you, I wouldn't be fucking leading you. Believe me, my trust costs more than a fucking Lincoln. So I ask again, why the hell am I putting so much trust in you?"

Zach simmered. "Cuz. I just am. I don't have a weapon out. Any one of you could have clocked me, just walk up and bust my head open. None of you did. So yeah, I trust you all without any fuckin' better reason other than 'I ain't dead yet'. I keep telling myself I'm an idiot for thinking this but I think I'm lucky for finding others who are 'bout as sane as me. So I'm putting that out there in the hopes that you'll do the same for the rest, just like I am. That's the only way we're going to get through this shit. We trust each other."

Zach stayed quiet for a moment, just looking at his companions. His group.

Buncha ugly mugs huh?

For the first time all day he gave a genuine smile.

"Got it? Alright. Let's rock and roll."

(The Rat Pack continued in The Moon is Laughing at You)
Edited by Ciel, Oct 10 2010, 05:54 PM.
V6

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Town Center · Next Topic »
Locked Topic