Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Orientation; B106: Start (THREAD CLOSED)
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 12:28 PM (4,448 Views)
xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
G018 - Acacia Salinger - Start

Acacia awoke with a start. Her eyes blinked open, seeing nothing but open sky and feeling damp earth underneath her. For two glorious seconds she had no idea where she was, then it all came back to her in a sudden rush. The coach journey, the sudden sleepiness, finding it hilarious that everyone sitting around her also felt sleepy, being tied to a chair, the introduction, then... Then she was here. She felt strangely okay with everything though, removed from the situation, and sat up slowly, her head spinning. Acacia drew her knees up to her chest and hugged them, looking at her surroundings. Which was trees. Or rather, what looked like used to be trees, there were endless stumps, with the odd straggly tree that had survived the cull. Next to her was her duffel bag and a supplementary bag with her name and "G018" printed on it. So that was her number, huh? She'd watched the odd episode of the programme, enough to know that she really was in deep shit.

Reaching over for the bags, she drew them closer to her, and looked from one to the other with a frown, thinking about how impractical it was to carry quite so much stuff around anyway. There was no way she'd be able to run, or use her weapon... Hang on, a weapon! Acacia looked between the bags, and decided on the one she'd been issued, it seemed like the more likely choice. Barely a moment of looking drew her eyes to the most gunnish looking gun she'd ever seen. A brown handle with a black barrel, a pistol, a revolver, she had no idea. What was the difference anyway She knew nothing about guns, and looking at her weapon felt herself beginning to succumb to tears. Her hands shook as she looked at the gun and the separate... other bit... that she somehow had to fit in to it. Why couldn't the gun have come fully loaded? Surely that was what usually happened, or was this some kind of additional trauma. The blonde bimbo who didn't know how to use a gun. Feeling self conscious suddenly she looked around for a camera, and spied one about ten metres away, affixed to a tree. Pointing directly at her. She stared at it, her eyes watering with tears, vaguely aware that anything she said now might be broadcast to her family back home.

"Fuck you," she said softly, so softly she wasn't sure if the camera could hear her. Were the microphones on the camera or were they separate? Like, in the grass? She had no idea. Could they hear her breathing, which had gradually been getting heavier and heavier as the real weight of it set in. Her mind reeled, going through all these thoughts. Why hadn't she ever planned for this? She'd always considered herself immune from bad stuff happening. What with moving twice (and not just piddly around the corner moving, like, 1000 miles each time), her aunt dying, her brother being shipped off to die in Iraq (God, we can't both die, that'd just be too unfair). She took an inventory of the bag that she'd brought with her on the trip. Clothes were all still there, cellphone gone, insulin. Insulin!

There was a sudden sinking feeling in her stomach. Weren't potential weapons confiscated from bags? Potential weapons, potentially including needles? She rifled through, cursing herself for packing so badly, before unearthing the black zipped case and opening it with a practiced swoop. Two pens, test machine, testing strip, lancets, a pack of glucose tablets and additional pack of tastier jelly beans. Her medic alert bracelet, which she picked up and turned over, reading the text inscribed on the back. ACACIA SALINGER / DOB: 6/12/1992 / TYPE I DIABETIC / INSULIN DEPENDANT / ICE: K. SALINGER 777-0892-3345. She felt the tears welling up again at her mother's cellphone number. Odds she would ever ring that again? Close to zero. Maybe even actually zero, unless she could figure out how to work the damn gun. Picking up her backs, the daybag on her back and her duffel bag over one shoulder, she picked up the gun last, and started walking aimlessly. She pointed the empty pistol into the jungle, and pulled the trigger.

At the sme time there was an explosion from somewhere behind her.

Acacia started, staring at the gun in her hand for a few seconds before dropping it as though it was boiling hot. It clattered to the ground and disappeared under some ground level dust. She crouched down to recover it, then turned and began to head towards the noise. After all, noise meant people, probably, and people meant help. She didn't want to be going alone at this point. Not this early on. As she reached the scene she saw one decapitated body and a few people that she recognised. One was called, Darren, she wasn't sure of his surname. Alice Blake, she knew of her mainly because of her height even if she didn't know her especially well as a person. Still, better than nothing, at least she knew her surname. The third person she thought was called Roman, or Troy, or something like that. Still, where was the harm in saying hi? If things got tricky she had a gun to wave at them, none of them looked like especially gun savvy people, perhaps they wouldn't notice it was loaded?

"Hi!" she said in her sunniest voice, trying to hold back the tears and panic. She gave a little wave, starting it with the gun hand but then realising that might cause panic or something (and God knew she needed friends at that point) switched to the other. She stopped short as she got near the body, looking guiltily at Roman/Troy/something whom she had just sort of cut across, and nodded at him directly. She knew who he was talking about, Victoria Jackson, purple hair. But she hadn't seen her. In fact she hadn't seen anyone. "Sorry," she said to Roman, "but you're the first people I've seen."
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Acacia let out a short laugh as Roman commented on her waving around of the gun. If it had been loaded, she was sure that she'd have been more wary of it, but right now it felt as useful as a toy, or an empty water gun. She looked at it, and shool her head, briefly following Roman's gaze towards Alice's retreating back. She turned back to him, and turned the gun to one side, showing him that it was empty. Then she fished the rounds out of her pocket, shrugging, holding them separate from the gun, clutching both of them hard enough that they couldn't be just grabbed, hopefully, not that she didn't didn't trust Roman (she'd never had any reason to mistrust him after all), but you never knew. This kind of situation changed people, she knew that much.

"It didn't come loaded," she said, looking almost pleadingly at Roman, "and I'll be honest, I don't even know where to start," her voice took on a hysterical edge towards the end, as she became gradually more certain of her own hopelessness and how little she knew about, well, anything. In all her life, Acacia had always strived to put herself into comfortable situations; high school she could do, tennis courts were her second home, she sat at the same table in the canteen every day. Familiarity; that was the thing. And the reason she didn't know how to use a gun was because she had no intention of ever needing to use a gun.

"What did you get?" Acacia asked, somewhat glumly.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Acacia regarded the sun beam with vague curiousity. She'd seen police baton's before, but not one like this, it was somehow more lethal looking, but with guns (loaded ones that is) wielded couldn't see how it could really be useful except in the hands of a strong person. Perhaps someone from the wrestling club (was there a wrestling club? She'd never thought to ask). Then her eyes widened.

Instruction manual! She hadn't even thought of that, and immediately dropped to the floor to begin rooting through her bag, again. Clothes, diabetes kit (shit, what was the time? She had no idea what her glucose levels were like, probably too high since, unless the... people, whoever they were, had injected her with insulin while she was unconscious, something she seriously doubted, she wouldn't have had any for... hours. Generally she was on a pretty loose regimen, injecting as much as she needed with regards to how much she was about to eat or exercise, important in her life, and that would be important now), a small notebook and pen, half a pack of chewing gum, anything useful taken away, and no instruction manual.

"Damn," she muttered, sitting back on her heels, "of course, that would be too easy," she said, surprised at finding her voice shaking on the verge of tears, She sniffed and wiped her eye with her left forearm, before leaning forwards to close the bag again, defeated. Her fingers lingered over the kit, debating whether to test her glucose levels now and reveal her weakness, to risk it and do it later. She chose to risk it, if she were to suddenly faint she hoped Roman would see her bracelet and know how to act. How good was he at biology? Acacia had no idea. She zipped the bag up, leaving the kit inside, for now.

"I think they just wanted to see the dumb blonde struggle with a gun," she said irritably, while she weighed up Roman's offer of opening the 'breach', whatever that might be, so that she might be able to load it. The gun was entirely useless to her while she couldn't load it, other than some intimidation purposes as had apparently worked before. And it was useless to Roman if she gave it to him to open, seeing as she would still be holding the rounds. After a pause, looking both at the gun, then at Roman, she held it tentatively towards him to take.

"Thanks," she said, her voice a little more steady. "I promise not to shoot you," she added with a shaky laugh, though meaning what she said. Actually, she didn't have any intention of shooting anyone, the thought of doing that terrified her.
Edited by xylophonefairy, Sep 4 2010, 07:22 PM.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Offline Profile Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Acacia accepted the gun back from Roman with a shaking hand, and hesitantly loaded it; following some vague instinct that might have been from an old movie as she closed the cylinder and looked critically at the gun. It felt heavier now, and any sense of uselessness was gone. She felt... powerful. And scared; how was she supposed to point this at someone and pull the trigger, and kill them? Also, she couldn't figure out how nobody had noticed the gaping hole in the side of the gun when it was empty, looking at it loaded, it's prior state seemed so obvious now. Still, people had other things on their minds, she reflected, even a gun with a hole in it was dangerous here. That was something interesting to note, if she ever ran out of bullets (which she didn't intend to do as she had no intention of shooting the gun), she could still use it as a threat. And if she were to live that long, she hopefully would have aquired some other weapon... Her thoughts were running away with her.

"Thanks" she said again in a relieved to Roman, holding the gun loosely, focussing on not accidentally pointing it towards him and scaring him off, seeing as he was the nicest person she'd encountered so far. She scratched her neck distractedly, not knowing really where to go from here. She felt that she'd like to set herself little missions of sorts; if she had something to focus on then she might be able to forget that eventually, she or Roman, or probably both, was going to die, and in the next two weeks.

"Anything else I can help you with?”

"I feel like I should repay you for your kindness," Acacia said, as warmly as she could muster under such cold circumstances, attempting to stow the gun away in the pocket of her jeans. Upon realising that it wouldn't fit (as much as she liked fashion, pockets that didn't actually work very well as pockets annoyed her, especially now) she continued to hold it in several awkward positions, eventually figuring that gripping it around the handle, with her right index finger resting on the trigger guard was most comfortable. "So, if you don't mind my company, I'll help you find your sister," she said, tentatively, not wanting to intrude if he didn't want her around, but also not wanting to be left alone in a forest where evrything was dead, even the boy who lay decapitated a short distance away and whom she had almost forgotten about. "This worked quite well at scaring most people off before," she added with a shrug.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Offline Profile Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Acacia smiled properly for the first time that day, shouldering her bag. She adjusted her dual layer of vest tops so that they looked good, an unconscious gesture, though she realised as she was doing it that she probably looked like she was playing up for the cameras. Still, no harm in playing up a little now, Acacia suspected that it meant that she was less likely to be blown to bits for making a mistake earlier on. Flicking her hair (was that too much?) she nodded to Roman.

"Yeah, sure," she said with a helpless shrug. Every direction looked pretty much the same to her, though she noted with some relief that they were going a different way to that which scary looking Alice had gone in, which could only be a good thing. "Why not, it's not like we have anything to lose!" she added, giving a slightly forceful laugh that reflected no humour, even if the statement was slightly ironic. As Roman starting walking, she hung back for a moment and muttered under her breath.

"Nothing to lose... except our lives."

She jogged slightly then, to catch up with him, her bag bouncing uncomfortable against her hips. Seriously, this was why she'd never owned a satchel. She'd gone from a rucksack when living in Indiana and Long Island straight to a fashionable oversized handbag ever since she'd moved to Minnesota and redeveloped her image.

"Hey I'm coming!" Acacia said as she caught up to him.

((Acacia Salinger continued in Watch Your Step

Also, end of thread, everyone's left now.))
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: South · Next Topic »
Locked Topic