Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Twists and turns; Boy 102 start, open
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 11:11 AM (5,646 Views)
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Nick LeMonde continued from Resolve))

Nick took a moment to recover once they were outside of the building. He wiped his forehead and crept silently after Teo, trying his best not to make any unfortunate mistakes that would give them away. His streak was broken however, when he reached for his flashlight, fumbled and sent it rolling around on the floor. He smiled apologetically at Teo and picked up as quickly as he could. Inside he walked carefully around the building, looking at the stacks of crates. He walked up to one of the crates and pushed it gently. It didn’t seem to contain anything.

The soft waves of echoing voices floated into the room. Nick could make out two, maybe three voices, but there was no telling how many people were deeper inside the warehouse.

"Should we go check that out? If you want to, you take the lead and I'll cover you with the crossbow, just watch your corners. Or we could get out and try and make it to town before nightfall. Either way, I've got your back."

Nick nodded and leaned in close.

“Let’s go check it out quickly. If we don’t see anything worth hanging around for or if we walk into something we’d be better off not being involved in, we’ll leave. Maybe we can make it to that town like you said. I’ll go in first since I got the…..this thing and you got the range weapon,” he said hefting up his hunga munga.

Nick clicked off his flashlight, blinked a few times trying to adjust better to the dimmer light, and walked heel to toe trying to be quiet. As he got closer, one of the voices stood out to Nick from the others.

"I think I know one of them," he whispered back at Teo.
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
More crashing and yelling swept down the hall from somewhere further inside the darkened warehouse. A figure suddenly came down the hall way; out of pure reaction Nick took a few large strides forward and swung his weapon.

"S-s-stop! Don't shoot!"

He stopped his three blades all perilously close to the boy’s chest.

“Dude, you shouldn’t run around screaming like that.”

Why was that my first reaction? Why? I almost buried a metal rod with all kinds of pointy sharpness right into him. Because that girl….it’s a game of death. People are going to go around killing each other. Maybe I don’t have a choice, or maybe that’s all I have. Live or die. I want to live. No one can blame me for that.

"Nick?"

He looked past the nervous boy and squinted at the new figure that had arrived.

“Hi Simon,” he said, now with only the slightest touch of his usual cheerful greetings.

“Uh hu, we're on wrestling together..." he said in reply to Teo.

No one would blame him for killing, it was all very understandable. Either kill or wait to be killed. It was simple. The rules were explained. The rules don't care about you and the rules say that you must kill. They had to kill, but just because they had to kill, that didn’t mean they still couldn’t be civil about it. No mutilation, no excessive pain, no taunting, respect any last request.

“Yeah. Let's take 'em out,” he croaked out through his dry throat. "We’ll take this guy first, give Simon a head start. Cause he’s a friend."
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nick swung his weapon as Simon charged at him, but the other boy went low instead of high and was on course to smash into his legs. In shock, Nick dropped the blade which went skittering several feet, finally stopping by Teo. Though the attack had caught him off guard for a few seconds, he regained his fighter’s composure and pushed his legs back a few inches before the collision of bodies. When the impact finally came he let Simon push his lower half back, falling forward onto the other wrestler and pinning him underneath. The two hit the ground with a soft “thud.” Things seemed to be moving at hyper speed. Somewhere in the middle of it all a voice had been speaking the whole time, but the man’s speech was a buzz in the back of Nick’s mind. Fragmented pieces managed to fight their way through the din to his consciousness.

19 killed….

Nick landed on Simon and scrambled to get a hold of him. The blood was rushing through his body, his heart was beating faster.

Remove his collar….

He was struggling beneath him. He took his arms and managed to entwine them into Simon’s legs, or leg as it were. The prosthetic was pierced by a crow bow bolt.

Our femme fatales, Clio Gabriella….

Clio?

He looked back, searching for his fallen weapon and saw….

Clio.

A beautiful face broke out from the darkness; she was scared and holding her bag up to her stomach. It was almost as if the act of saying her name was what made her appear.

The pair had dated for a few months at the beginning of 11th grade. He had always been fond of her, but it sometimes seemed like there was something between them that he could never overcome, a wall he could never climb over to get to her. After a while she had simply drifted away. She stopped talking to him. She ran through his fingers like sand. It had hurt him to some degree. It wasn’t that he was so deeply in love with her, but what bothered him like a splinter in his mind was "why"? Why had she done it? He never did anything that he could think of to upset her. He got over it fairly quickly and moved on to others, but the question had always nagged and looking up at her, he wondered.

Is it really her? Did I go crazy? Am I just imagining her because the voice said her name? She killed two people, but she’s just as pretty as I remember.

Nick stopped moving and gaped at her, trying to figure out if she was real.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Ciel deserves a whole pie for helping me with this. ))

Nick let Simon squirm away from under him and run out, paying almost no attention to him as he fled. He pushed his palms against the cold concrete and got to his feet, never taking his eyes off of Clio.

He shuffled towards her, trying to get a better look. The fact that Teo seemed to be looking at her as well proved to him that she was in fact more than a hallucination of his own creation.

“Gabby,” he called out to her. Uttering the little nick name gave him an odd heavy feeling in his chest. He swallowed the feeling down.

“You shouldn’t talk to her like that,” he warned Teo.

She’s a lot of things and she’s certainly beautiful but I don’t know if cute is one of those things.

“You can’t say that she wouldn’t hurt us. You can’t even say that she doesn’t want to hurt us. You don’t know that.” He bit his lip and stared steadily at her. His face and tone were unusually serious.

“I don’t know about you, but she never let me know her enough to make that sortta call, not to say I didn’t try my best to find out what sort she is.”

He reached down to pick up his discarded weapon but was stopped by her scream. Nick stopped and stood back up.

She pointed the gun at him. He raised his hands, palms open and facing her, but his eyes never left her face.

“You can’t shoot us both, Gabby. The second you pull that trigger whoever’s left standing is gonna to take you down.”

Looking at her now he didn’t feel the same as he had when he’d looked at her in the past. After they had broken up they didn’t see each other around much. She might have been his only ex that he did stay friends with after. Whenever he did managed to catch a glance of her at school he usually felt a sharp sense of regret, but in the past month or so he’d hardly thought of her and now that she was in front of him now, that blade was much duller. She wasn’t everything that he wanted. Clio was beautiful and smart and mysterious, yes but she was missing something. What he wanted was-

-----------------------------------

“Mmm, something sweet!”

Nick looked down at the pie the waitress had brought him. The little shop was bustling with people but he, Jessica, Josie and Alex had managed to find a booth right next to the window. While they waited he had been watching Jessica from across the booth as she looked outside at the first few summer fire flies. The waitress put down the single slices for Josie and Alex and put the pie between Jessica and Nick. She went ahead and put one plate in front of Jessica and was about to put down the other in front of Nick when he stopped her.

“No thanks. One’s good.”

“You sure?” she asked incredulously.

Nick took a slice out of the pie, slapped it on Jessica’s plate and went to town on the rest of the pie left in the tin. The waitress stared wide-eyed for a moment before walking away.

Jessica cut a small piece with her fork and tried it. A cautious smile pulled at her lips.

“ ‘S good?” he asked, mouth full of pie.

“Y-you, um, you’ve got,” she pointed to her nose. “A little pie… here, “she said, giggling.

He picked up a spoon looked at his warped reflection trying to clear his face. Once he was clean he laughed and picked up his fork again.

“Thanks. That happens a lot. One time I walked around for part of the day with toothpaste on my eyebrow. I’m not even really sure how I did that. Am I okay now?”

“It’s fine now. W-what about me? I don’t have stuff on my face, do I?” she asked, her hand going up to her cheek.

“No,” he said warmly. “You’re perfect.”
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He squeezed his hand around the weapon, it hurt. The little cuts stung as they pushed back into his skin against the handle.

Inside he was breaking, looking at the girl. The strangest things ran through his mind, things that didn’t seem that important or connected to anything at all. Then he realized they were things of home. The time at the pie shop, the liquor store where he’d go buy soda after school sometimes where the woman knew him by face but not by name, the local skate rink where his sister would always show him up. Those little things and memories that seemed so inconsequential before were suddenly everything and he’d do anything to have them back and be in them again.

His chest tightened and his eye lids fluttered a mile a minute.

“I just….I wanna go home,” he said in barley above a whisper.

Clio, she was a killer and she relished in her kills. Letting her go would be a mistake; she’d only come back to repay them with the kindness found in the barrel of a gun. She and the rest of the senior class were keeping him from home.

It’s not my fault. I have to. I have to. I have to.

“Waste her.”
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sorry for the delay))

Nick only watched as Teo squeezed the life from Clio. Then just as quickly as he had started, he let her go, told her to run. She picked up her things and flew down the dark hallway, with only the pitter patter of her steps remaining when she was too far-gone into the shadows to be seen anymore.

Nick picked up the flashlight he had dropped during his altercation with Simon and shined it down after her. The light didn’t illuminate much, just a beam sucked into the black space. He shifted and shined the light at Teo as he explained his reasoning. The boy stood still, trying to figure out why Teo had done what he’d done. He didn’t believe his reason, but he couldn’t read him well enough to know what the real reason was.

“BS, Teo. You could have killed her. She’s already on the island’s most wanted for killing two people before us. No one would have said a thing if we said we killed her in self defense. She doesn’t even care. She killed the violin player and she doesn’t even care. You heard her. She was the one who killed Chris….” he said, remembering the other girl he had almost strangled in a rage. She had been telling the truth. “The goth girl was a sick thing to cut off his head, but Clio…..she was…proud. There’s no one on this island who would have blamed us for cutting her down.”

His fingers ran up and down the wooden handle of the hunga munga. The rough feeling of the wood blended in his mind with the memory of Clio. His fingers cut back and forth between the grainy, cold present and the smooth, warm, past. The straight lines jumped to curves, then back again.

Push her out. She’ll kill you the first chance she gets.

No more past. Just Teo and Nick standing in the dark. He moved the flashlight away from Teo and sat on a container.

“Teo,” he said, breaking the silence. “It’s not supposed to be easy. If it was, well…but it’ll get easier. Everything gets easier the more you do it. Even this.”

He took a deep breath. “But I guess you’ve got some point. Maybe it’s best if we don’t get famous for a little while. ”

All around the hallways were empty and dark, with only the thinnest bit of natural light seeping through occasionally. They looked to him like the type of place something frightening might hide. Were the scary things in the dark worried about other scary things in the dark? The thought had never occurred to him. Scary kids, scaring kids.

He leaned back to put his hand behind him, but overestimated how far back the container went, leaned into nothing and fell backwards over the other side.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nick picked himself up off the floor and brushed the dust from the front of his shirt. It seemed they had more company and more female company at that.

Teo lit up the dark with his smooth smile and started talking to her.

Well he seems to have cheered up real fast.

Nick made sure he still had a hold on his weapon and then looked closer at the girl. Despite his aim to know the entire senior class, he couldn’t quite remember her name. He recognized her by look, but he couldn’t place her in any sports or clubs.

“Wainright,” he said after his mind finally retrieved the file on her.

The offer to snuggle drifted by him mostly unnoticed as her words were drowned out by the momentary revival of his excitable nature brought about by the thing she was holding.

“Oh neat!”

He leaned in close to look at the gun. His eyes scanned as best they could, trying to pick up details.

“It’s a Mosin-Nagant bolt action rifle! It’s Russian, they’ve been using them since like, the start of the 20th century. I wonder how old this one is. Looks newish. The 7.62x54 cartridges were originally designed for the Mosin and in fact, it’s the oldest cartridge still in regular combat use. They’re great for accuracy. They use ‘em a lot as sniper rifles and outside of the military for hunting, it’s not that heavy and the recoil isn’t too bad. The only problem is that since it’s a bolt action it takes a little while to fire sometimes,” he spouted off.

“Lucky,” he sighed.

He was called back to Earth by Teo’s suggestion of sleep. He nodded.

“Yeah. S’late. Guess we better hit the hay for a little while.”

((Nick LeMonde continued in The Various Downsides of Being "Paranoid as Balls" ))
things

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Warehouse · Next Topic »
Add Reply