Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Break Up And Break Down; Start of (the end of) G010
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 10:47 AM (9,875 Views)
nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
(Alexander Campbell continues from White Knight Nightmare)

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Desperate footstep followed desperate footstep as Alex half lept and was half pulled over the line that seperated the greens from the funfair. He was still in what he could only consider shock. 19. Jesus. 19 people.

Was that a chainsaw?

He looked up at the abandoned funfair. On the opposite side, he could hear the mechanical roar of the chainsaw being revved before fading down into a burbling growl as it's owner seemed to be leaving.

He shifted his weight on the ground and immediately clutched his wounded arm, hissing in pain. He looked over at the others making sure they had gotten out.

"19 people." commented a voice in his head.

"What if you're wrong?"

He had a brief moment of despair. He knew the feeling, though this was a new depth. Like a yawning black pit was opening beneath him, full of mud to pull him down and trap him there forever.

No no no no no, brain, now is not the time to start fucking with me.

Keep your shit together.

He used his strong arm to try and lift himself up off the ground. After a few attempts he did. His eyes locked on to the smoke at the far end of the funfair. He ran his hand through his long blue hair and spoke, swallowing down the fear and despair welling within him. The hole beneath him closed, for now. 19 people. He couldn't believe it.

"Someone could be hurt over there." he said.
V4 Character

Alexander Campbell - "We can do this, if we can just keep it together"
David Matson - "Our father, who art in heaven..."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Alex didn't resist as Hayley lowered him down to the ground. He shut his eyes for a second, raising up his good hand to rub them gently. He needed a joint. Or some mushies. Or some E. Or fucking anything that could haze out this godawful reality even for a few moments. Alex had spent the last few years in what could only be described as a haze. Self medication had become a habit and the intake of drugs had definately lessened the depression he felt in his day to day life. Not today though. No friendly haze for Alex and nothing to mask the feelings he tried so hard to keep suppressed.

Hayley was telling him not to charge suicidally into things. He thought about this for a second. Suicide. The thought had occured to him more than once, in his darker moments. It was only when Hayley had pointed out how insane he was being that it had occured to him himself. In a strange moment of clarity, he realised that he didn't care if his plan worked or not.

He was distracted from his train of thought by a voice.

"Hayley?!"

He could only smile slightly as Hayley turned away, running over to Kyle.

Fuck.

He hid his emotions away again. He couldn't afford to have them even remotely near the surface. Not with him around. Alex always felt rather pent up around Kyle. He was very paranoid about betraying his true affections for Hayley around him. If there was one person on this island he hadn't wanted them to run into it was him.

Nothing to be done about it now.

He could only smile again at the thought. It was a familiar sentiment. For all his posturing, Alex always found himself empty handed. He only then noticed that someone had taken his gps. Alex laughed once. Whatever. Pointless anyway.

Charlene had arrived next to him.

"Do you know him?" she asked. He opened his eyes, forgetting his own problems for a second. "Yeah. His name's Kyle. Hayley's boyfriend." he said. "Good guy." he smiled, trying to pick himself up. "But then, I said that about Jonathan." he said. He looked over at her. "Keep an eye on him. You don't know him... And I don't think me or Hayley are capable of seeing him without bias." he said quietly.

He pulled himself up to head over to Hayley and Kyle, when suddenly Hayley caught someone lurking in the shadows.

Something bad is about to happen.

He felt it in his gut, knew it to be true with every ounce of his body. This shadow was a harbinger of some kind.

He played that back in his head. Jesus, he really was losing it out here. A harbing-

Suddenly Hayley had taken off, sword swinging. "Hayley! NO!" he said. Too late. Always too late. Blood flew through the air and a head. It landed perfectly upright, adding to the bizarre surrealism of the whole thing. He looked up at Hayley and seen her black out. He honestly didn't know how to react. He walked over to the head and looked at it.

This was a person once. Not even that long ago.

He looked over at Kyle. "Steve Barnes." he said. "I played guitar with him a couple of times." he said. He looked back towards the head. "Good kid. Religious. Wouldn't hurt a fly." he said. He sighed softly. There it was again, the black pit in his stomach. The disgusting hollow feeling. He leaned his back against one of the stands and lit a cigarette. He tried to think of a single reason to go on.
V4 Character

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Alex watched the scene silently. Kyle at Hayley's side, trying to comfort her or at least her calm her a touch. Charlene was being sick. Madelyn was looking at her friend in disbelief. He looked at Hayley.

Is this it?

Is this how it starts?

He looked at the girl, seeing her nervousness. Scared that we'll turn on her? Scared that we'll do it before she turns on us? It had all been so black and white a few seconds ago. So easy. He slumped down against the wall, resting his back against it.

Madelyn asked the most pertinent question and he listened. But all of a sudden, they all seemed very far away. He felt a shiver of cold pass through him. His eyes flicked between all of them. Suddenly their strength, which he had been so confident in, seemed weak, held by a mere thread. He was suddenly rather scared. He didn't know these people. He didn't know any of them where it truly mattered.

Hayley was his closest friend here, without a shadow of a doubt. He knew her. He cared for her in a way that made his heart ache when Kyle was around. Looking at her like this, covered in the blood of another, he was suddenly terrified that he didn't know Hayley at all. That that primal rage he'd seen on her face as she'd attacked the boy was who his friend really was.

His arm throbbed with pain and he felt light headed for a second. He gritted his teeth and listened to Hayley explain herself.

V4 Character

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
"So I attacked. Had to make sure whoever it was was gone before they could hurt you. Or me,"

Alex shut his eyes, the effort of the last two days suddenly heavy on his shoulders. Not you. I can't be this wrong about you. If I can't even judge you right, this is never going to work.

Yeah, cause this was ever going to work.

Self doubt and self loathing crept into his heart. He opened his eyes and looked over at Hayley, looking into her eyes as though trying to see the truth of her. But he no longer knew what to think.

"Is it okay with everyone if I go off on my own for a bit? I sort of need to... recover, I guess is the right word. We could figure out somewhere for us to meet up in the morning."

He looked away from her, trying not to let his eyes belie his thoughts. What's your game, Hayley? Are you playing? Planning on getting us when our back are turned?

He shook his head. It was amazing how easy it was to fall into that path of thinking. He'd been saying it all this time, he'd barely even caught himself doing it. Madelyn acquiesced and then walked away, obviously feeling her own bitterness at the rejection. Charlene just looked ill.

"Fine." he said, not looking at her, trying to supress and control his emotions. He thought back to the map, considering it for a moment, trying to recall a landmark relatively close by. "The groundskeepers hut should be clear again tomorrow." he said. "We can meet up there at noon. If it's still a dangerzone tomorrow, we'll make it the mansion instead."

He looked down at them and they could see the barely restrained emotion on his face. His lips were tight, his posture stiff. He gave the impression of someone who had buttoned themselves into a suit that was a few sizes to tight. Only his eyes gave the indication to how he truly felt. He was angry, deeply angry at her. He felt betrayed. But most of all, he simply looked sad. He turned abruptly, no longer willing to continue to speak.

"See you tomorrow." he said.

He walked off after Madelyn and seen her crouch down to pick up the gps. "Hey, you found it." he said. "I think I dropped it after Jon..." he said before trailing off. Jesus, that felt like a long time ago. He wondered how much he would have gone through by the time it was over.
V4 Character

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Alex smiled slightly, almost to himself and nodded. "Alright man. You can hold on to it while we stick together." he said. "It's probably more useful than the spear." he said, smiling in a friendly manner. She could tell he was putting on a brave face. In truth, Alex was just barely managing to plaster on the smile. The last hour or so had really kicked the shit out of him.

It was only because Madelyn looked about as vulnerable as he felt right now. Her friend had just killed someone before her eyes, then run off to do whatever with her boyfriend. He tried to hide it, mostly he had, but that had stung. Who was trying to help people? Who was trying to get off the island? Angry depressive thoughts wanted to lash out, he choked them back. Not the best solution but they were far away from any therapists. He couldn't afford to lose his shit out here.

"Yes, because trying to rescue the crowd of bullies, misanthropes and apparently murderers is completely sane." he thought to himself. "Not fucking now." he thought back. Alex felt strange. His skin was tight as a drum, or so he felt. His nicotine craving had shot up, very suddenly. He stubbed out the cigarette he was smoking and lit another.

He leaned against the wall of one of the stalls and looked it over. "Alright, so, here's the plan." he said.

"We wait here till tomorrow. We can easily hide out in one of these stalls. Two exits, one at the front with a big opening and a door at the back." he said. He turned, wincing for a moment as his arm bumped into the coconut shy he was leaning against. For a second, he considered if it should hurt this much, but he had more pressing concerns. His arm right now was out of sight beneath his jacket and out of mind. "Between that and this." he said, pointing to the gps, "We should be able to keep anyone from getting the drop on us." he said.

He looked up at the two girls, as if the thought had just occured to him that he didn't really know either of these people. "That is, if you're still with me on trying to get off this damn rock." he said. "I mean..." he said. He looked down, then looked back up. "Look. We're probably going to fail. In fact, I'm pretty much certain of it." he said. "If you want to go off on your own, try and make you peace, hell, maybe even play, I'll understand." he said. "I can't. I won't..." he said. He slid up onto the counter of the coconut shy and sat, looking at them. "...and I need you. Both of you. One guy on his own crying for peace is a lunatic. Two people, naive optimists. But three? I reckon we just might have a chance with three." he said.

The afternoon sun was slowly setting in the sky, casting an orangish tone over the fun fair. It would be night soon. Alex's arm throbbed softly, a background pain that was not yet obvious enough to gain notice. But he hadn't noticed that it was indeed getting worse.
V4 Character

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
[GMing approved]

Alex reflected Madelyn's smile. As they each agreed to help him and go through with his plan, at least for another night. He looked over the coconut shy they were next to. "This looks like as good a place as any." he said. He walked around the back and opened the door. Inside, it was dusty and showing it's age. "Alright guys. Get a lie down. Charlene, I'll wake you in about three hours. After three hours, you wake Madelyn, alright? Madelyn's shift should end with our fat friend making another announcement. I doubt we'll be sleeping through that." he said.

He looked over at Madelyn. "Whoever's on watch will need to hold on to the gps." he said. He held his hand out, a reassuring smile hopefully telling her that she would get it back in the morning. He took it from her and took up his position. Madelyn curled up in the corner as they lay down to sleep. Alex sat with his back against the front wall of the coconut shy. From outside, it would be impossible to tell there was anyone in there at all. He sat and waited, lighting a cigarette as the two girls slept.

--------

By the end of Alex's three hours, he was really starting to feel the burn of exhaustion. It hadn't hit him as hard as the other two, Alex had had more than a few sleepless nights, but he was by now ready to embrace sleep with open and willing arms. Next to him were four extinguished cigarettes. He looked over at the two girls, sound asleep in their blankets and smiled ruefully to himself.

Any other time and he would have spent the last three hours as a barely suppressed ball of hormones. It was only at this moment he'd noticed that the two girls he was in the company of were in fact two girls. He felt a slight twitch at that thought, but quickly brushed it aside. This was definitely not the time to be thinking about romance.

Such thoughts brought him back to Hayley again. The last three hours had seen her come up in his thoughts countless times. He had no idea what he was supposed to feel about her. She was still dear to him. Even now he could feel it and his imagination tormented him with thoughts of what she and Kyle were doing. He sighed to himself. If there was one person on this island he hadn't wanted to see, it had to be him. It wasn't even like Alex could justify himself.

Kyle was a good guy. A better guy than Alex or so his poor self image told him. Alex wanted to hate him. Life would be so much easier, he could be honest about what he felt, if only he could hate Kyle. But there was nothing to hate him for. He seemed to genuinely have Hayley's best interests at heart. Alex couldn't in good conscience ask him for more than that.

He yawned for a moment then was surprised as it turned into a full on dizzy spell. He steadied himself with a hand on the floor. "Must be more tired than I thought" he said in his head. He checked the GPS. Nothing on it for the last three hours. He went over and placed his hand on Charlenes shoulder, softly shaking her awake. "Your turn." he smiled tiredly. He lay down softly on his non wounded arm and swiftly fell into a dreamless sleep.
V4 Character

nowave
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Something smelled bad. Really bad. The stench awoke Alex. He was lying on the cold dusty floor of the booth. Over the course of the night, his breathing had gotten more rapid, till he was now lying on his back, panting and hyperventilating. Sweat poured from his body. Pain swiftly greeted him. He clutched at his arm and had to stifle a scream. As though it had been waiting for him to wake up, agony grew and he desperately tried to stand.

"Hey, you guys up?"

Alex looked up at Madelyn and tried to speak. Suddenly a dizzy spell washed over him. He braced himself against the stand and placed his good hand to his forehead, trying to center himself. Suddenly a rush of nausea came over him. He turned and leaned over the counter. He retched wildly as his stomach seemed to try and turn itself inside out. There was nothing in his belly to throw up. He dryheaved agonisingly, tears now streaming from his eyes. Eventually he coughed up a few bits of burning black bile.

He turned back towards the others. He looked, well, he looked fucking awful. His eyes were bloodshot and were now crying almost constant from the physical pain and the terror that filled him. His skin was white, utterly pale. Worst of all, his right arm seemed to have swelled in his jacket. It seemed to be bulging, particularly where he'd been shot.

It was too hot in here. He had to get out. He had to be outside. With the sudden wild certainty that accompanies blind panic, he lunged forward towards the door, pushing Madelyn to the side.

He burst out into the cold morning air. The sudden rush brought on another dizzy spell and for a second he fainted. He collapsed over onto his side, lucky not to bash his head open on the rough ground. He swiftly came back around.

"Whu- What- What is this?" he said, his voice tinged with a wild fear.

Desperately he pulled off his beloved jacket. This time, he couldn't supress the scream. It was a strange sound. It was neither a sound of panic or disgust but simply one of horror.

Alex's right arm had swelled up around the wound he'd suffered. He could see a large portion of the surrounding flesh was grey and disgusting. He didn't know much about Gangrene but he knew enough. There was a piece on his body that was utterly dead, rotting and yet still attached to him.

The horrified scream went on for about a minute, his brain utterly gone somewhere beyond any rationality. All he could do was stare at it and freak out. He was so scared. He felt an animal terror, utterly beyond the mind he used normally.

After about a minute, he began to calm. For the next ten minutes, he wept bitterly. Finally, he simply reached a point at which he had nothing left in him. All the emotions he'd been controlling, all the sadness and bitterness, he cried them to himself. Finally he just felt empty. Pain of course was a constant companion. After ten minutes, he finally composed himself. He got up, found Madelyn and Charlene if they weren't with him already. "We need to find Hayley." he said.

There was something very dark building in Alex's eyes. He knew what to do. He didn't want to. But it was nessecary.

"I need her to chop my arm off with that damn sword." he said.
V4 Character

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Fun Fair · Next Topic »
Add Reply