Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Break Up And Break Down; Start of (the end of) G010
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 10:47 AM (9,571 Views)
armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh god my stomach why does it hurt so bad ohhhhh. What the hell is this?

[B127]- START!

Kyle opened his eyes and gritted his teeth against pain which ran through his body. His stomach was screaming in pain. He could feel bile rising in his throat. Had he eaten something bad? He couldn't remember. Oh.... He curled up and bit his lip as his stomach shot a warning message to him. Suddenly, the blank spots in his memory filled in. The Auditorium. That voice, the voice he had listened to with mild elation. Survival Of The Fittest. That show.... He hadn't been big on the merchandise, but the show had been one he liked to turn on while he was doing homework. He had, at the time, thought that Danya's voice sounded so awesomely sinister. The irony twisted his stomach again. The pain was similar to the time he had had a Dentist's appointment for a tooth drilling. He had taken his medicine before, and the anesthetic had reacted with his medicine. That time he had....

The bile rose in his throat again as Kyle rolled over quickly. He pulled his head up and away from the ground as his stomach roiled and pushed out its contents. He gagged twice more, not pushing anything out with the heaves. He dropped to the side and panted before another realization came to light. His glasses. Where the fuck were his glasses? He looked around, his vision incredibly blurry. He patted himself down and felt something in his pocket. Relief flooded his body as he pulled out his glasses and put them on.

"Not cracked. Good," he muttered to himself. He looked around himself again and spotted the daypack. He crawled over to it, not trusting his legs to hold him up, and began rummaging through it.

"FUCK!" he exclaimed, pulling his hand out rapidly. He was bleeding heavily out of a long, but shallow gash. Cursing to himself, for both his exclamation and his sliced hand, he dumped the contents of his daypack out. A medkit, foodstuffs, other general items, and the knife. It was short and curved, a style Kyle hadn't had much dealing with. He did recognize it as a Gurka knife, used by Turkish Police Forces. He briefly wondered if Danya and his organization were Middle Eastern in origin.

Kyle opened the medkit and pulled out the bandages. He carefully poured a small amount of water over his hand before placing a gauze pad on the gash and wrapping it with the bandages. It was crude, but it would work. He went ahead and wrapped his other hand too. He would probably use his fists as much as his knife in this game, so protecting them was important. It struck him then. He was already thinking of his classmates as... nothing. Not his friends. Hayley... she would live. Until the very end, if it had to be that way. But everyone else... they were already non-entities to him. It was a chilling prospect and, if he had more time to consider it, probably said a lot about him. It shook him, knocked him uncertain. It was never a good place to be, uncertain in yourself.

Carefully, Kyle pulled himself to his feet. His knees wobbled slightly, but not enough to knock him down. Still, he sat down again quickly, making the excuse to himself that he needed to repack his stuff. His duffle was sitting next to him, passing unnoticed at the time. Inside, he found his work-out clothing, brought because he planned to work out occasionally. He also found a change of clothes. What he failed to find was his pills. This was bad. Very bad.

"Shit. I'm going to be flipping the fuck out in a couple hours...," he muttered to himself.
V5 Character(s)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kyle heard the voices, but it seemed they hadn't heard him. He thanked whatever deities may exist that they hadn't. The three... no, four, one was hiding behind a small fairway game, girls hadn't noticed him as he stealthily stepped around to the back of Nancy. She preferred to go by Gracie, but half of fighting was psychology, and it was the half Kyle was especially good at. As he stepped forward, he noticed a red backpack sitting near a defunct game. Kyle recalled hearing Anna asking for it. It looked like she wasn't wearing her glasses, which would probably be why.

He smoothly slid the knife into his hand as he stepped up behind Gracie. Anna was looking frightened and slightly bewildered, and Kitty was holding some sort of canister. Kyle barely got a glimpse of the label. "M18 Yel...," that was all he managed to read. It looked like some sort of... grenade. Now was a bad time to approach, and yet here he was doing it. He stepped just to the edge of his arm's reach, and said, "Hey! Nancy!"

Right after he said it, he threw a punch toward the back of Gracie's head. He hoped by the time it connected, it would be the front of Gracie's head.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Apologies for screwing up the already changed post order, but Mimi said I should post a response to Gracie. So I will.))

Kyle was happily surprised that plan had worked so well. When Gracie was still conscious, the happy surprise turned to astonishment. He hadn't expected that to be the case. With bemusement on his face, he watched the girl crawl rapidly away, before she grabbed Anna. He wasn't surprised by the opportunistic action. It was precisely what he would have done in that situation. If he thought the attacker cared. Which she apparently did.

He briefly considered the knife in his hand. The thought made his stomach turn. Despite his personal bravado earlier, killing his classmates was something he would have to work his way up to. His ears poked him in the brain, letting him know that Gracie had said something.

"Hit you now? Wouldn't be difficult. What would you do, shoot her? Why should I care about that? You were the target because you had the most threatening weapon, not because you were a specific target, or for some noble purpose. Frankly, I didn't expect you to stand up again, at least not so quickly," Kyle said, nonchalantly spinning the knife in his hand. 'Don't let them know you won't kill them. Make them think you're dangerous. Best idea.... What if she decides to shoot me...?'

And now the other girl... Cat, was telling him off. Barely, Kyle's eye twitched. This was why he felt nothing for these people. All so stupid....

"Oh, because dropping a canister of smoke was so much better an idea? The only person getting hurt here is Anna. Oh, and Gracie. But that hardly matters," he said, not taking his eyes off of Gracie. Fallen Grace. He laughed to himself at that. He would have to tell that one to... Hayley. Crap. Where was she? He fervently hoped she wasn't in trouble, but already the anxiety was settling into his stomach. 'Crap. CRAP! They shouldn't have worn off already! I should have had more time than this!'

Carefully, so as to not call attention to it, Kyle began tapping the side of his leg in a pattern of threes. One... two three. One two... three. One two three one two three focus on the repetition, not the anxiety onetwothree.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Robert Lerger continued from Shelter From The Storm))

The road stretched still further on, passing on the outskirts of the faire. These things always seemed to be larger on the outside than they were on the inside, and this seemed no exception. As Robert approached the side entrance, he focused on the Ferris Wheel in order to keep his bearings. It didn't help much; his arm's constant pain and the feeling of the chainsaw's chain digging into the flesh of his shoulder kept him just distracted enough to walk past the entrance twice. Finally, he found his way in and immediately noticed the sound of a kerfuffle. A very loud kerfuffle.

Robert pushed his way through decimated and dissolving mini-games, taking no small pleasure in knocking over the stack of milk bottles set up for one of those ball throwing games. To his chagrin, of course, they didn't fall over. Stupid cheating gamesmiths. After this mild digression, Robert emerged from the forest of Mini-games to see a rather disturbing scene. There was smoke in the air, colored yellow. It was probably some sort of smoke bomb or something. From what he could see, which was admittedly not a lot, some dumb jock had just bodily thrown a girl into a booth. And that shit did not fly.

"Hey!"

Robert stepped forward, revving the chainsaw in a menacing manner, not that there is any other manner to rev a chainsaw in. "I don't care why you're doing it. But step away from the girl or there will be... consequences," he said, dropping his voice to a menacing low.

It was about then that his brain caught up with his body. 'SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING? This guy is, like, twice my size sitting down, I've got a gimp arm and I don't even know the girl! Run you stupid bastard run!'

The more brave and less smart part of him kept it's grip, mentally berating the cowardly part of him for it's cowardice. 'Consider this a stand made. I will not allow people to become animals just because we're in a cage. Be the best of humanity, not the worst!'

The mental arguments were rather distracting, but Robert kept his gaze focused on the jock. He revved the chainsaw again, just to punctuate his point.

-------------
(Edited to keep Kyle from being inactive.)

Kyle kept his gaze on Nancy as she led Anna away. He didn't really care either way what happened to her. A part of him doubted Nancy would kill Anna in cold blood. Take away her only means of survival, certainly. Kill her? Probably not. It made his heart shiver with joy as he saw the fear on Nancy's face. Power was a nice thing to have, to be certain. That was what would make people into players here. That feeling of power.

Kitty was saying something. Something annoying. Kyle tuned her out. She wasn't important. He barely noticed when she walked away. He started to space out slightly, trying to keep his mind busy. Math helped a lot, surprisingly, and kept him from creating scenes and increasing his anxiety. Scenes like Hayley getting.... NO! He shook his head violently, pressing his palms to his temples. He took deep breaths, trying to keep his cool. Hayley was fine. She was strong, she was smart, she would be fine. She was fine. The sound of dirt crunching to his left made him spin, half-expecting it to be Nancy coming back for revenge already.

Instead, it was Anna Chase, who was walking forward slowly. Probably to avoid tripping over anything. Pity welled up in Kyle's heart. It felt odd. He glanced around quickly and noticed a red backpack not too far away from where the dufflebag Nancy had taken had been. He stored the information away, but didn't say anything yet. He really didn't want a weak hangers on with no weapons, and he was loathe to give up his in the event of his conscience overpowering his brain on the matter of grouping up. He doubted Anna would be willing or able to hurt him, even after the callousness of what he had said, but better safe than sorry, right?
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
The girl hadn't yet stirred in the wreckage, Robert noted. This was a slight problem, as it meant he would probably have to do more than just chase this jerkwad away. Out of the side of his ear, he listened to the larger boy talk about making threats and blah blah blah.

Robert stepped forward, raising the chainsaw over his shoulder. "Listen, buddy," he said, expressing distaste with the word. "If I wasn't willing to use this thing, I wouldn't be threatening you with it. I don't want to use it; Lord knows it would be a real pain in the ass to clean it off. But if you don't make like a tree and leave, I'm gonna make you like a tree, and cut you down. Capiche, buddy?"

He glanced at the girl again. "I neither know nor care what beef you have with her. Attacking a defenseless girl? How low can you get? When people start acting like animals, that's when the problem begins. You are the problem. And I think I have a solution," Robert said, tweaking the choke on the chainsaw slightly so it revved again. He nearly flooded the engine, although he had no idea.

"I'll give you to the count of two. One...."
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Robert's focus on Alex was shattered by the feeling of cold steel sliding into the back of his neck. He gasped, twitching slightly as blood poured down the front of his body. Slowly, he looked down to see the tip of the knife sticking out of what he could only assume was his jugular vein. Somehow, his hands still held the chainsaw tightly. Not tightly enough. Alex's foot struck the saw, knocking it out of Robert's hands and, incidentally, breaking his hand from the force. The chainsaw bounced when it hit the ground, spinning slightly. Robert watched, unable to do anything as Alex picked up the chainsaw and revved it a few times. He knew what was going to happen, and he didn't care. It was easy to stop caring when you were already dead. Introspection wasn't in Robert's nature. He just... closed his eyes and gurgled a farewell to his mother.

"I'm sorry, Mom."

The chainsaw ripped through his fragile diaphragm, ripping through his stomach and splattering his guts all over the ground. Although he couldn't feel it (his blood pressure dropping so fast that death was nearly instantaneous), without the support of his diaphragm, his lungs sagged, causing him to breathe in. The last thing the chainsaw hit, his spine, caused the blade to twist and drop slightly, tearing the tissue of his back apart. While all this was happening, the spinning chain threw blood and organ pieces and bone pieces and other viscera everywhere. Robert's lifeless body slumped to the side, forcing his left kidney through the literal organ grinder and out of his body, where it made a pathetic strike from beyond by splattering on Alex's left shoe.

Alas, Robert was not able to appreciate this pathetic gesture. For he is now

[DECEASED-ROBERT LERGER B120]
Edited by armeggedonCounselor, Sep 5 2010, 12:03 AM.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Double-posting to keep Kyle active, at the urging of KV.))

Kyle was having a hard time focusing, what with the very difficult to ignore sound of a chainsaw. Stubbornness and a desire to avoid getting into another scuffle kept him from investigating. Plus, well... chainsaw. The metal of his knife might be able to break the chain, but that required getting his hands too close to spinning death. And that was not a place he wanted to be.

((Short Post is Short. Don't want to involve Kyle in Robert's gore. It's two great tastes that taste bloody terrible together.))
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kyle watched Anna walk by him, apparently far more blind than he was without glasses. When she reached the end of the row, she cowered down as the chainsaw revved. Kyle sighed and stepped quietly over to the red backpack. He picked it up and walked over near Anna and gently tossed it so it landed near her. Then he hightailed it out of sight. His good Samaritanism would go unrewarded, as was better.

Because in this game, the reward for Good Samaritanism was usually a sharp knife in the ribs instead of a dull one. Not much better a choice, really.

Kyle walked along the rows of decrepit games, briefly glancing at decimated toys that were once the prizes for these games. Without anything to occupy it, his mind wandered to Hayley. She was safe, she had to be. He still had so much time to spend with her, so much to do, and, frankly, they hadn't done it yet. He smiled to himself, allowing a slight snort of laughter. He wondered, briefly, if she was likely to end up here. It didn't strike him as likely, but he knew that her sense of sick irony would eventually bring the idea to her mind. Maybe if she was already nearby.... Kyle nodded to himself. He would stick around here until the next morning, unless it got declared a Danger Zone in the intervening time, and then set out for the mountains.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((I am taking mild artistic liberty due to issues of Time Fuckery. Also, mild GMing of Hayley Kelly approved by Holly.))

Kyle's mind wandered slowly as time passed. Suddenly, his ears were raped by a screech of old speakers starting up. As they warmed up, he heard the sound of clapping. Then the voice sounded out. Danya. And he was announcing the deaths. 19 people dead. 19 people. Kyle's heart was beating faster as he listened carefully, ignoring the chainsaw that was still running nearby. No names he knew well.... And Hayley was not among them. He sighed and relaxed. She was alive, for now. Thank god.

With the announcement done and over with, Kyle sat under a dilapidated minigame and spun his knife, watching the predawn light play on the blade. It occurred to him that he had no idea where the night had gone. It didn't seem to have happened. Perhaps he had passed out at some point? He was digressing. Movement off to his left broke his concentration. He stood, sliding the knife into his pocket. He could see multiple people coming into the area, at least two. He moved closer; it was obvious the lead figure hadn't seen him, as he was facing the direction the chainsaw had been in earlier. The other figure....

"Hayley?!"

Kyle rushed forward, not thinking about getting shot or killed. Hayley was safe, she was here. She was safe.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Breaking Post Order in order to move the death happening in here along.))

Kyle was hit by 102 lbs of the person he wanted to see the most. He stepped back to avoid falling over, wrapping his arms tight around her. She was safe. She was alive. She... smelled of sweat and blood, but that was alright. More importantly, she was here. His knees felt weak from relief. She said that she had been so worried. Kyle nodded, not trusting himself to speak. He didn't know how long he clung to Hayley, barely able to keep from weeping in relief. Finally, when he felt composed, he released her and stepped back slightly, sliding his hands to hers.

"Hayley.... Thank God you're alright...," he said, smiling with relief and then freezing. Was she alright? He couldn't tell. She had blood on her, but she didn't seem to be in pain. "Y-you are alright, right?" he asked, squeezing her hands a little too tight. He realized that he had squeezed too tight almost instantly, and quickly let go of her hands and looked away.

"Sorry.... I'm... I'm having a little trouble.... They took my medicine, and I threw up when I woke up, so... yeah. My OCD is acting up...," he said, laughing slightly at the end of the sentence. He looked back at Hayley, and managed a slight smile.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Bluh. This post is being a pain in the ass. Excuse the relative shortness compared to all o' y'alls.))
((Also, because of mild WTS, this post starts before the decapitation.))

Kyle listened just enough to Hayley to hear her confirm she was alright. He was more focused on her companions, to be honest. He recognized Alexander Seymour, who was, apparently, injured. He didn't recognize the girl, the one who had a gun. Unconsciously, Kyle's hand strayed toward his knife. He caught himself in time, but kept an eye on the girl with the gun. The third companion was a little more recognizable to him, but he couldn't think of the girl's name. One of Hayley's friends.

Suddenly, Hayley seemed to be freaking out, even more than Kyle thought was necessary. She looked frightened by something Kyle couldn't see, located off to his right, her left. Probably someone dead, or something. It shocked him that he could think a thought like that one without much shock value. Hayley backed up, not turning away from him to pick up her weapon. Kyle felt a slight twinge of discomfort that Hayley was more comfortable with a weapon in her hand than near him, although he forced the thought from his mind. Who cared what she was more comfortable with? As long as she was safe and felt safe, that's what mattered.

And then the shit hit the fan. Hayley, in her freaked out state, noticed somebody approaching. She challenged him. He tried to talk calmly. She didn't buy any of it. Kyle saw what she was thinking before she moved, but he couldn't stop her. He called out to her as she charged the boy, who didn't raise a weapon, barely flinched. Kyle watched, mildly dumbfounded, as the distance closed and Hayley's sword bit into and through the neck of the boy. He watched the head fall to the ground, with an almost comical blood spray. In a movie, it would have been comical. In reality? Kyle felt his stomach turn. He pushed the nausea down. Hayley needed him. He focused on her, watched her collapse. She fell backward in an almost comical manner, falling straight onto her back. That wasn't good: that kind of fall could cause brain damage, especially to the visual cortex and the brain stem. He was already running toward Hayley when the rest of the bystanders exploded into oaths and movement. He knelt beside her, noticing her chest moving. She was breathing, thank god.

Kyle heard, but did not register, Alex say something about the less important victim. It struck him again the callous way he was thinking about his classmates. The guy was just some faceless(ha!) body in a crowd to him. Hayley was far more important. He had to protect her. He looked up, eyes a little wild. The girl with the gun was approaching rapidly, hand tight on the gun. Kyle halfstood, holding his hand out.

"Stop there, please. Don't crowd Hayley, give her room."

His voice was calmer than he expected it to be. Hardly a waver in it, belying the unsettling fear he felt.
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kyle turned away from Charlene as she threw up, allowing her some dignity. Instead, he turned to Hayley, who had sat up, eaten something, and nonchalantly asked what she had missed. He could only assume she was in shock. He placed his hand on her shoulder, glancing at Charlene, who, having finished her upchuck, was now staring, almost glaring, at Hayley with her gun in her hand. Madelyn had asked a very pressing question, but one that didn't really matter to Kyle.

"Hayley, are you okay?" he asked, quietly. He was ashamed to admit it, but he tensed his muscles slightly, just in case he surprised her and she reacted violently. "Physically, I mean." He didn't add what he thought of her mental state. It wasn't very nice, but it was honest.

He was aware that everyone else was on the verge of panic, except Alex. Kyle like Alex well enough, although it was pretty obvious that Alex like Hayley as more than a friend. And, as Kyle suspected, Alex was looking pretty haunted and torn up. Mentally. He had looked like that Physically before the... event.

((Bluh short post is short. Writers block etc.))
V5 Character(s)

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
Kyle didn't look at the other people when Hayley was giving her explanation of why. He didn't particularly care what they thought of her explanation. What mattered was what he could see in her face. What he saw didn't scare him, didn't make him panic. It was as she said, and it fit in with her nervous manner slightly before the... incident. It was only when she was done that Kyle glanced at the others. Alex... he wasn't happy with it. Neither was Charlene. It seemed like Madelyn was alright with the explanation, or she was far better at hiding her disapproval. Then the next thing Hayley had to say shattered that thought. Hayley's suggestion that she and Kyle should go somewhere else seemed to hurt Madelyn, although Charlene seemed to relish the thought and Alex seemed to think it was for the best as well.

Kyle nodded his agreement to Hayley and stood, pulling the map from his bag and examining it briefly. "Alright. We'll meet at the Groundkeeper's Hut tomorrow, or the mansion. We are all in agreement for that?" Kyle said, staring intensely at the back of Charlene's head. She was the worrying one, the one who seemed to want to cry bullshit toward Hayley's reasons. She was also the one who had a gun.

With a more tender expression, Kyle turned back to Hayley and offered his hand to help her up. "We should go somewhere to get you cleaned up," he said quietly.

((In the interest of getting Kyle and Hayley outta there, I'm gonna give Harlequin permission to GM Kyle since she's probably going to take Hayley out of the topic with her next post.))
V5 Character(s)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Fun Fair · Next Topic »
Add Reply