Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Break Up And Break Down; Start of (the end of) G010
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 10:47 AM (9,573 Views)
Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
[[Madelyn Prowers continued from White Knight Nightmare]]

Madelyn had splintered off from the group for the time being as she acquainted herself with Alex's GPS. With Alex and Charlene wounded and Hayley taking care of Alex, Charlene had passed her the GPS unit for her to navigate towards another group of people in the fun fair. Alex had given her a little bit of instructions, but besides knowing where people were, the thing didn't really say much else. It would have been nice if the readout was in actual names instead of numbers, but at least if they ever got separated they could find each other now that they knew their assigned codes.

After the panic from nearly having her head explosively popped off had worn off, she decided she needed some time to herself to take a breather. While the others made their way towards the croup up ahead, Madelyn wandered around the fair to take some private time for herself and calm down.

She'd been through a lot over the course of a day, far more than she had ever expected to in her entire life. In one day, her life had been flipped turned upside-down. She needed time to refocus herself, and in order for that, she needed prayer.

As she walked alone throughout the small fair, she was in commune with the Lord, praying for the strength to carry on even as she walked through the literal valley of the shadow of death that was Survival of the Fittest. For the time being, her faith was sustaining her. The first day hadn't broken her, and now she could look forward to a possible escape once they settled down and really started planning.

As Madelyn was finishing her walk and prayers, she heard a loud clamor coming from where her group had headed. She finished things up quickly from there and ran off to see what all the commotion was about.

She caught up with the rest of the group just as everything had gone quiet. Everyone seemed to be alright; there was Alex, Charlene, and... Kyle! They'd found Kyle! Yesssssssss... She thought to herself as she excitedly pumped her fist into the air. Hayley was probably relieved as hell that she had found her boyfriend. Actually, where was Hayley?

There was just something... off to Madelyn about the whole scene. She had heard what had sounded like an argument brewing a few moments ago, but now everything was calm... No.

Everyone was silent. Eerily silent.

"Hey umm... guys, what'cha looking at?" She asked innocently enough as she approached the group. It wasn't long before she saw what had captured their attention.

It was a head.

A human head, severed from its neck as the blood poured forth from the body that it had been unceremoniously removed from.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaauuuugggghhhhhhh!" Madelyn screamed in panic and disgust as she surveyed the scene. Someone's body now lay headless on the ground. Another body was off a short distance away, its body disemboweled in a gory mess. Her best friend was down, sprawled on the ground with a bloodied sword laying next to her.

So much blood.

Two dead people.

Hayley's bloodied sword.

Was Hayley alright? What had happened?

"What the fuck?!?!" Madelyn screamed, chucking the GPS to the ground before she started to nearly pull out her hair in disbelief at the scene.

"What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck?!" She exclaimed multiple times as she ran towards Hayley's side as a million terrible thoughts clouded her mind. How did two dead bodies get here? How was Hayley involved? Was everyone alright? Had Hayley... Had Hayley actually murdered someone?

No, that wasn't right. Hayley wouldn't... couldn't do something like that. Not without good reason. Maybe they were attacked?

Maybe...

Maybe...

"What the fuck happened?!" Madelyn cried out, desperate to deny the possibility that her best friend was a murderer.
Edited by Lawther, Oct 1 2010, 11:32 AM.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

V4 Characters:
B-148 Daisuke Nagazawa - "I've got my fist, I've got my plan, I've got survivalism..." CL: Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding
Current Equipment: Jericho 941F (.45 ACP) [x2 magazines, 16 rounds left]

G-115 Madelyn Prowers - "Oh man oh man, look out! Press A! PRESS A!!!" CL: Break Up And Break Down
Current Equipment: mp3 player, 'spear' (sharpened pointy stick)

B-049 Tobias Elwin :Dead: - "Hugrubglruglbulrg... Hurgbrbggbrll..." CL: It's A New Day
Current Equipment: None.

Lovely character icons by LittleBoy. Click to see the full pictures!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
[My apologies for this being done two days later than I meant to do it. Working 16 hour shifts 2 days in a row makes it hard to want to do much of anything other than sleep D:]

"Stop there, please. Don't crowd Hayley, give her room." Kyle said calmly as nearly everyone else seemed to be freaking out. Madelyn complied and backed away from Hayley before throwing her heavy bag to the ground in anger. She clutched the 'spear' in her hands tightly as she anxiously watched everyone around her. She wanted answers. Answers that Alex bitterly provided.

"Steve Barnes. I played guitar with him a couple of times. Good kid. Religious. Wouldn't hurt a fly."

Alex's soliloquy was like a punch to the gut to Madelyn's panicking state. She slumped down to the ground, resting her chin on her knees as chills ran down her spine. Her best friend had killed someone while she was off gallivanting around the fair. Could she have stopped her? Could anyone have stopped her? Did anyone even try? She felt guilty for not having been there as she wondered if somehow her presence could have even changed anything.

Charlene was vomiting now, sickened to the core by what she had seen. Alex looked like he had just seen a ghost as he leaned against a stand, contemplatively smoking a cigarette. Hayley, hayley was passed out on the ground and covered from head to toe with the blood of the headless boy... No, that wasn't right... It was Steve's blood. He was dead. Hayley had killed him.

Hayley was just beginning to stir again. She looked dazed and confused as she rummaged through her bag, pulling out some water and some crackers. Madelyn slowly got up from the ground and picked up her spear to lean on as her weak knees carried her forward towards her friend. It wasn't long before Hayley finally realized that people were around her.

"H-hey, guys...I miss anything important? Heh..." she said. Madelyn wasn't sure if she was joking, or just in shock. She wasn't sure about anything anymore. Part of her wondered if it was even worth knowing why Hayley had killed Steve in the first place. What if it wasn't an accident?

I need to know, Hayley. She thought to herself as she bitterly contemplated what the answers to the questions that plagued her mind would mean. Though there were many specific things Madelyn wondered about the events that had unfolded, there was only one thing that she truly desired to know.

"Why?"

V4 Characters:
B-148 Daisuke Nagazawa - "I've got my fist, I've got my plan, I've got survivalism..." CL: Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding

G-115 Madelyn Prowers - "Oh man oh man, look out! Press A! PRESS A!!!" CL: Break Up And Break Down

B-049 Tobias Elwin :Dead: - "Hugrubglruglbulrg... Hurgbrbggbrll..." CL: It's A New Day

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"I... I panicked. I saw...I saw the body, and I heard someone coming, and...I assumed it was gonna be whoever killed that kid, you know? I was just...scared. Scared someone was gonna come up here and try to do that to one of you. And I was never, ever gonna let that happen."

"So I attacked. Had to make sure whoever it was was gone before they could hurt you. Or me," she added as an afterthought. "So, um...I dunno if it was the best move, all things considered, but, heh, I'm not exactly the king of good fucking decisions, here." she said before a slight giggle escaped her lips.

Hayley's knee-jerk reaction almost seemed justifiable. Perhaps if the boy really had been attacking her, Madelyn would have accepted the answer wholeheartedly. However Madelyn was unsure what the attack said about Hayley's nature. She had hoped that the group would be able to get by without having to resort to violence, just like Alex had planned. There was no need for blood on their hands. Yet Hayley seemed all too ready to make the first move.

And yet, Madelyn could live with that. Deep down inside, she was happy to have a friend who was so willing to protect everyone that she would throw herself into the line of fire to try to take their assailant out.

"Um...Kyle?" Hayley said softly, beckoning him to come closer. She spoke to him, re-assuring him personally that she was alright. It stung a little, seeing Hayley so comfortable with him when she was so wary of the rest of the group right now. They spoke softly for a while before Hayley made her next announcement.

"Is it okay with everyone if I go off on my own for a bit? I sort of need to... recover, I guess is the right word. We could figure out somewhere for us to meet up in the morning."

Madelyn felt like she'd just been slapped in the face. Clearly it wouldn't be 'just her'. She intended to have Kyle come with her. Why else would she have had her little 'Rainbow Rumpus Pow-Wow' time with him. Was she just going to leave them?

We... we still need to rescue Ema, Hayley... Madelyn thought to herself as Hayley watched their reaction. Madelyn felt hurt that she was being left behind, even if it might have been just for the short run. Hayley had been her rock since she woke up on the island. Without her around...
Who's gonna protect me?

"OK." was all that she could bring herself to say. This was what Hayley wanted, as much as she was loathe to abide by the request. Hayley just wanted to be alone with Kyle for now. Probably just to fuck. Madelyn bitterly thought to herself, even though deep down she knew that wasn't the case. It was just her resentment talking, she told herself. It was a cheep shot, surely, but it was an outlet for the pain she subconsciously felt at being rejected by one of her friends.

She couldn't look at Hayley any more. Madelyn turned around and walked to the spot where she had dropped the GPS. The others could make the plans if they wanted to. Madelyn couldn't look at Hayley right now without getting choked up. She felt abandoned. Rejected. Maybe Hayley wanted some time to herself, but all Madelyn wanted was to be with her friend.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
Madelyn hadn't heard much of what was said after she left the conversation. Not much more needed to be said at this point. It wasn't long before Alex finished the conversation and came to her side.

"Hey, you found it." he said. It caught Madelyn by surprise. She instinctively pressed the GPS against her chest, as if to hide it from prying eyes, even though it was Alex's 'weapon' in the first place. She didn't know why she was so eager to keep it from him. It felt like the device was precious to her; it was her only way to keep track of Hayley, after all.

"I think I dropped it after Jon..." his voice trailed off uncomfortably at the memory of the moment when everything had suddenly gone horribly wrong.

"Charlene found it. I just held on to it." She said, quickly trying to move the conversation away from the horrible memory of Jon opening fire on them for Alex's sake. She unclutched the device from her chest and offered it to Alex like a child being forced to share it's favorite toy. "You can have it back... unless you'd like me to hold on to it for you since... well, you know."

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"Alright man. You can hold on to it while we stick together. It's probably more useful than the spear."

For the first time in a long time, Madelyn smiled. The simple act of Alex allowing her to hold on to the GPS for the time being was enough to restore a glimmer of happiness back into her life. He was trying to be brave, she could tell, trying so hard to keep them together and safe against all odds. He was a good man.

"Alright, so, here's the plan." he said once Charlene had joined them. She looked absolutely exhausted, but once Alex spoke up she was all ears.

"We wait here till tomorrow. We can easily hide out in one of these stalls. Two exits, one at the front with a big opening and a door at the back. Between that and this, we should be able to keep anyone from getting the drop on us."

Sleep sounded like a wonderful idea after having been up for nearly 2 days straight. Madelyn was exhausted after everything they'd been through, so tired in fact that she didn't even have time to be paranoid about falling asleep with two people that she'd really just met a day ago on an island full of possible murderers.

"That is, if you're still with me on trying to get off this damn rock. I mean, look. We're probably going to fail. In fact, I'm pretty much certain of it. If you want to go off on your own, try and make you peace, hell, maybe even play, I'll understand. I can't. I won't ... and I need you. Both of you. One guy on his own crying for peace is a lunatic. Two people, naive optimists. But three? I reckon we just might have a chance with three."

The fact that Alex still had hope for an escape even after having been shot was comforting to Madelyn. In fact, it was downright noble of him. If there were more people like Alex on the island, maybe their crazy plan could actually work. If there was anything she learned from being in the activist club, it was that sometimes a small yet determined vocal minority could often bring about a change in the way people thought. Perhaps if they banded together, they could appeal to the masses. It was a longshot, but the thought still gave Madelyn some hope for her fellow students. It was a worthy cause in Madelyn's book.

"Yeah. Sounds like a good idea. We can finally get some sleep." Charlene said.

"I... I'd like to help too." Madelyn managed to chime in, picking up her bag and her spear so she would be ready to move when everyone else was.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
"Hey, Madelyn. It's your turn." Charlene said as she shook Madelyn awake. Madelyn groggily accepted the device before Charlene plopped back down onto her personal bag to claim what little sleep that could still be gathered. Madelyn was still tired, but begrudgingly made her way out into the night air with GPS and spear in hand.

Most of the night was uneventful. No more than 3 dots ever flashed in their little area of the island. Movement seemed to be scarce for the most part throughout the early hours of the morning. What little activity there was on the GPS stemmed from a few dots that traveled slowly across the screen; people traveling under the safety of darkness. Madelyn passed the time making up stories for the little dots she didn't know and checking up on Hayley and Kyle's dots from time to time. The fact that they were still showing up on the screen was comforting to Madelyn, although she couldn't help but wonder who the third dot that had joined up with them was. Hopefully they would all find out later today. Hopefully it was a friend.

It wasn't long before the first rays of light pierced the night sky. Dawn was approaching. The light of the sun was gently beginning to peek out over the horizon. It was just enough light that she could see without needing her flashlight or the GPS anymore. An idea flashed in her mind: Get a message out while you have the chance. There were no signs of anyone else in the area on the GPS. Now might be the only chance she'd get to leave one final message to the outside world.

With any luck, she would be the only person doing anything of interest right now. The odds that most people in the early morning would be sleeping (like her compatriots, for example) were in her favor in her mind. She found the nearest camera nestled above one of the rigged game stalls of the fair and waved, trying to catch it's and whoever was behind the scenes watching's attention. Hopefully, her message would find it's way home.

"<My name is Madelyn Prowers, and this is a message for Sayumi Shimizu.> She said, straining to remember the bits and pieces of Japanese Sayumi had taught her over the years. It was a broken mix of formal Japanese and English, but it would be enough to get her intentions across. However, the simple act of looking into the camera and addressing her lover made her feel as if she had established a connection with her right then and there, like they were just talking on Skype like any normal morning or evening. It made what Madelyn intended to do next feel that much more difficult.

"If you know her," she continued in English, unsure of how to phrase her request. "please relay this message to her and nothing more. I ask that both for her sake and my own. I could not bear the thought of her watching me on this show. <Please Sayumi, if you are watching, please don't watch anymore after this.>"

"<Sayumi, you know you are my closest friend.>" Madelyn started, desperately wishing that she could just come out and declare her love in the open here and now, but knowing full well that it would do more harm than good. She knew Sayumi hadn't told her parents about her beyond them just 'being good friends.' They didn't know about their love, about how much joy they brought into each others lives. Sayumi was too scared to tell her father. She knew he would not approve. So they planned to keep it a secret from him until she was out of the house and in college. It wasn't the perfect plan, but it was all they had. If they knew about their real relationship, Mr. Shimizu would have never allowed Madelyn to stay in their home with his daughter during her planned trip to Japan in the summer... a trip that now would never take place.

"You know how much you mean to me. You know how much I care for you. Please, don't watch the rest of this show. I... I don't want you to have to watch me..." She paused as a twinge of pain shot into her chest. She knew that her death was an inevitability, but couldn't bring herself to admit it. The part of her that still clinged to the chance at rescue or survival wouldn't let her admit defeat just yet.

"<We will try to escape.> I don't know how we will, but we'll try." She tried to reassure both herself and Sayumi as she imagined she was watching before switching back to Japanese to hopefully sneak a quick glimpse of the truth out into the world. "<We've been captured. This show is real.>" Hopefully someone out there would hear those words. With any luck, it would get past the censor by virtue of them thinking it was just part of the goodbye message. Madelyn hoped it would plant the seeds of doubt in some of the international viewers minds. Maybe it would be enough to get someone, anyone, to rescue them.

"I don't even know if you'll even get this message, but I've got to try. Please Sayumi, if I don't make it back..."

"Do you kids know what makes Uncle Danya happy?"

The ominously laid back voice of Danya echoed throughout the island, interrupting Madelyn's message just as she was about to ask Sayumi to do the hardest thing she could possibly bring herself to ask: To forget about her and just move on with her life as if she had never existed. Madelyn felt selfish for even thinking of asking Sayumi to do that, but part of her felt that her request was a noble sacrifice to ensure that Sayumi could possibly live a normal life without having to be scarred for life after watching her lover die on live TV. In her mind, the thought of Sayumi moving on with her life with no regrets was the happiest possible future she could think of.

Madelyn stared dejectedly at the camera for a few more seconds as Danya rattled off his morning announcement before growling and walking off in a fit of frustration. Danya's timely interruption for the daily death tolls could not be ignored. If anything, the cameras would now be looking elsewhere as hundreds of students now rose to meet the new morning and learn of their friends demises. Her connection to Sayumi had been cut once again, the latest casualty in her life on the island.

However, there was no time to dwell on her possible failure now. People were going to start becoming much more active soon, and the relative calm of the early morning would soon be broken once again by murder and mayhem. Madelyn knew she would need to have her wits about her now. She quickly went back to the coconut stall to check up on her allies.

"Hey, you guys up?" She asked as she poked her head into the back of the stall as Danya's announcement continued in the background.

Edited by Lawther, Oct 20 2010, 01:49 PM.

V4 Characters:

Lawther
Member Avatar
Glub Glub Glub
[ *  * ]
(short post to close the thread go!)

"Jesus fuck!" Madelyn blurted out as Alex removed his jacket and screamed, revealing his now gangrenous arm. The wound was now festering on the bone and rotting. His screaming echoed throughout the entire fun fair for about a minute as Madelyn stood by, paralyzed through her fixation on the green and grey flesh that still clung to Alex's arm.

Then, Alex just stopped screaming and began to cry bitterly. Madelyn didn't know what to do. What could she do at that point? Say she was sorry? Ask him if he was alright? Anything 'normal' that she thought of seemed useless, even condescending in this situation.

The announcements played in the background, but Madelyn paid no attention to them. Between Alex's muffled weeping and Charlene's sudden introduction to Alex's dying arm there was too much going on to focus on the terrible reality of over 20 more students losing their lives on the previous day. Charlene's interruption snapped Madelyn out of her trance immediately, just in time to hear Alex's solution.

"We need to find Hayley ... I need her to chop my arm off with that damn sword."

Charlene quickly ran back inside the stall and collected hers and Alex's things while Madelyn looked at the GPS to figure out where Hayley was. The two dots that represented Hayley and Kyle along with the third unknown were still due east at the beach, probably just waking up. Being abandoned the previous night was still a sore subject to Maddy, though she still wasn't willing to admit her animosity to the others. Right now though, the only thing that mattered was getting Alex to her. Necessity of the moment carried Madelyn quickly ran into the stall as Charlene came out to gather her things before racing to catch up with her companions.

[[ Madelyn Prowers Continued in Cleanliness and Lonliness ]]

V4 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · The Fun Fair · Next Topic »
Add Reply