Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Everybody's Changing; B091 Start - THREAD CLOSED
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 07:29 AM (3,566 Views)
Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Tiffany Baker continued from The Worst Gun in the Game))

Trees everywhere. Whichever way Tiffany looked, there were always more trees. She could not understand how some people could find spending time out in place full of trees to be fun. This was worse than the only time Peter brought her along on one of his hiking trips. At least then there were other people there to talk to while hiking. The silence of the woods had kept Tiffany on edge, as she looked for other people.

Suddenly, the surrounding trees gave way to fallen logs and large tree stumps. At least it's a change of scenery, Tiffany thought to herself as she stepped over a particularly large log. She walked a bit farther, before deciding to take a break on a tree stump. A water bottle was procured from the daypack and she took a few gulps of water from one of the bottles of water. Not that she needed the refreshment, but at least she was doing something besides walking.

Then she heard the voices. She couldn't see who it came from, but she definitely heard it. Packing up her things, she tried to pick out the direction from which it was coming from. About a hundred or so yards away, she could make out a short stocky boy standing by a mess of stumps. At the distance, she couldn't tell who it was though. She needed to get closer, to figure who that was and whether or not she could trust him. Maybe he could help her find Peter.

She tried to make her step light as she weaved between tree stumps, taking care to keep her head down so as to not get noticed. Along the way, she passed a few stumps that had some stickers on them although she didn't pay them much mind.

It wasn't until she had gotten closer that she saw the wicked looking claws that the boy was holding. The last thing Tiffany wanted was any sort of conflict, and weapons were a good lead-in to conflict. She stopped and started to slowly back away so she could observe for a little while longer. With all her focus spent on the boy in front of her, she missed the fallen branches behind her.

The loud snap of a breaking branch under her feet threw Tiffany into a state of panic. She had found it funny before how those sounds were so loud in movies. It wasn't funny now. She dropped her bag and ran behind the nearest stump and curled up behind it to hide. Maybe nobody heard. Hopefully nobody heard.
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tiffany thought she could be brave, like Angelina Jolie in that Tomb Raider movie. Well, minus the shooting guns and beating up people part. But now that she was seeing what could really be a student murdering another, well cold feet would be an understatement to what she was feeling.

She wanted to stand up and tell them to stop fighting. She wanted to tell them that what they were doing was wrong, and that they should work together. She wanted to be brave.

There was a voice calling out to her. She recognized the voice to belong to Dominic Stratford. He was a nice and gentle guy. She remembered him talking about the times he had volunteered at the animal shelter. A nice guy like him didn't deserve to die. Someone needed to stop this.

But she was alone and afraid. There was someone here threatening to hurt Dominic. If she stood up, she'd be killed too. She didn't want to die. She just wanted to find her friends.

Tiffany curled up in the shadow of the tree trunk. If she didn't move or say anything, maybe the boy with the claws would just leave her alone.

And Dominic would be dead.

Merciful God. I'm sorry I couldn't be strong for him.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tiffany took a few long slow breaths to calm down. Silence surrounded her, threatening her calm. Are they looking for me? What happened to Dominic? There wasn't any way to find that out, not from where she was sitting. She'd need to take a look.

A few more deep breaths to steel herself for what she was going to do next. Then, she turned and slowly poked her head over the top of the tree stump to take a peek at what was happening. What unfolded made her throat seize up in horror. From her vantage point, she could see the shorter boy with the claw shove the larger one down behind another tree stump.

Then he raised the claws and swiped down.

Tiffany couldn't watch. She dropped back down behind the cover of the tree stump and closed her eyes. I just watched someone murder a good person, and I didn't even try to stop him. Tears started to well up in her eyes as her memories of Dominic flooded out. Dominic bringing in a cat from the animal shelter to middle school. Dominic putting up posters for the sophomore play. She was ashamed to not remember anytime she actually spoke to him directly. But now he was dead and the world had lost another good person to this sick game.

God, please have mercy on him.

Tiffany sat there for a few moments, wiping away the stray tears that rolled down her cheek. She couldn't cry. The other boy might still be around to find her. As she wiped them away, she caught sight of another boy emerging from nearby. He was moving quickly and nimbly over the logs and between the stumps. He seemed to be moving with a purpose.

And he was holding a gun.

The paralyzing fear gave way into primal terror. Tiffany screamed for her life.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

Offline Profile Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh God, I'm going to die.

There was a gun. Just like the one she'd thrown away. Maybe it was that gun, come back from where she'd tossed it to take revenge for being abandoned. Or maybe it was one of Danya's creeps, come to kill her for not trying to kill people.

Tiffany couldn't think straight. She kept imagining the vividly painful ways in which she would be dying on the island. Shot in the heart. Shot multiple times. Sliced up by knives or claws. With each thought she curled up more, trying to hide herself from the horrors her mind was bringing up. Maybe if she curled up enough, they'd ignore the fact that she'd screamed loud enough to be heard a mile away.

A voice pierced through her panicked thoughts. She recognized it from somewhere. Tiffany had a knack for knowing people's voices, something that she could put to good use now. It took only a moment to identify the source: William Hearst. He was a good friend of Peter's, and they went on hiking trips occasionally. She didn't know William very well personally, but she trusted Peter to not be friends with bad people.

She slowly raised her head up and saw William, holding the gun and much closer than where she had first seen him. Relief washed through Tiffany, unclenching her muscles from the tightly curled position she had taken. William wasn't going to hurt her, even if he did have a gun. He probably didn't want to kill anyone either. She was safe.

"William," she called out, "I'm ok-" A large shambling form lumbered up from beside her. Her gaze darted over to it and panic took over again. Dominic Stratford stood there, holding a large stick in a threatening position. But Dominic was dead. She'd seen the other boy kill him with those scary claws. Corpses didn't walk, not unless it was a....

"Zombie!" She screamed and scrambled toward William. William was safe. Dominic wasn't. Zombies were never safe. God forbid she let one bite her.
V5

V4

Rest in peace

Offline Profile Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Get away. Get away from it.

Tiffany scrambled, on hands and feet, toward William's position. Maybe he had a gun, but William wasn't a bad person. He wouldn't shoot anybody. He was a friend of Peter's, and Peter didn't make friends with bad people. William would help her find Peter and then everything would be okay. William-

-was now pointing his gun at her.

Panic again flooded through her mind. No. No. Please God, no. This sick game had already gotten to William, and she was going to die because he had to kill her to keep living. It was so unfair. Why her? Why now? She hadn't even found Peter yet. She hadn't told him anything. She looked past the gun barrel, into the eyes of her killer, eyes that were clouded with doubt and worry. Tiffany couldn't help but sympthize: holding that gun and preparing to shoot a defenseless person was not something she imagined anyone could do easily. His eyes seemed unfocused.

No. They weren't focused on her. He wasn't aiming at her. He was aiming past her.

There was the sound of movement behind her. The sound of a falling branch and a person falling close behind it. A voice spoke out from the blind spot, a voice filled with anguish and fear. A living voice (because zombies can't talk), begging for her own life to be spared. An offering of sacrifice, made to save lives like Christ had done before. Clarity and understanding came to Tiffany as she turned to face Dominic.

Dominic was alive.

She wanted to jump for joy and give him a great big hug. She had thought that Dominic had been killed, but she had been mistaken. He looked slightly bruised up, but mostly unhurt otherwise. Tiffany flashed a bright smile at Dominic. Maybe this game hadn't gone totally bad yet.

Except she could feel that William hadn't put the gun down yet. She turned back to look at William, to look into his eyes. They weren't eyes of a killer; they were eyes of a frightened teenaged boy. "William..." her voice was weak, unsure. But she needed to get through. "Don't do this. Don't... don't shoot." With a gust of will, she pushed herself up to her feet and took a slow step toward him. "It'll be... it'll just... hurt people. It's not worth it."

The seconds stretched and time seemed to stand still. She didn't know how long it was until William finally dropped his arm, letting the gun hang limply at his side. Tiffany breathed out sigh of relief. William collapsed to the ground, looking quite shaken. She looked back at Dominic, giving him a reassuring nod, before walking up to Willim and taking hold of his free hand. "It's okay now. Nobody got hurt," she said softly to him in an attempt to stave off any more apologies. "We're all okay."

He relaxed a little with her words. His focus switched to the weapon he carried, seemingly deep in contemplation. He gave voice to his insecurity and indecision, as if the gun could tell him what he should do. "We'll find friends," Tiffany assured him, "we'll find our friends and everything will be okay." The words seemed to give William strength and resolve. He looked back up at her, and then at Dominic.

Getting away from the forest. It was what William suggested, and it would be needed to be able to find more friendly faces. Friendly faces that had hopefully not been consumed by the game yet. Tiffany nodded in approval and helped William back up to his feet. "I saw a building earlier, when I was coming through the woods." She pointed in the direction she remembered seeing it, trying to take into account all the moving around she had done recently. "There might be people there. Maybe Peter will be there."

As she turned to start walking, William apologized again. God, please forgive his sins and show him the path to You. Tiffany turned to look at William again. "It's okay. We're okay now. Everything's going to be alright."

The words echoed in her head as she headed off toward where she thought that building was. It felt so strange to be saying it to somebody else. People had always been saying it to her before.

((Tiffany Baker continued in Morning Comes Slowly))
V5

V4

Rest in peace

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The Felled Forest: North · Next Topic »
Locked Topic