Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mirror Mirror; Topic Closed
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 06:06 AM (5,957 Views)
Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
[D-Day --> Steve]

With the glare of the sun giving him a headache, both from it's brightness causing him to squint and it's heat on his brow, Steve was barely sure where he was going. He'd just barely snapped himself out of a nihilistic breakdown a few minutes beforehand, the gravity of his situation was just about done sinking in, and for fuck's sake if his hair got stuck in front of his face by sweat one more damn time...

With a vigourous shake, the troubled boy cleared his field of vision for the umpteenth time, though this time there was actually something interesting in it. Interesting as in not potentially life-threatening, like the unstable-looking situation he'd hastened past back at the leisure green. What he saw now seemed to be some kind of small house, with two floors one main entrance. What he didn't see was the powered-down sign above the door, indicating that it was no ordinary house. Under normal conditions, he'd have decided to steer clear of the potential mind-fuck of a hall of mirrors, but his still-recovering mind told him the building would be a fine place to hole up and rest in.

And so, still creeping more than walking, Steve approached the doors. He pushed one ajar, and peered inside. The interior was illuminated by sunlight streaming through the open door, but as soon as he closed that entrance, the maze would be a nightmare to navigate. By now, he'd told himself "So it's a mirror house, might as well stay here anyway now you're here. Besides, maybe it'll put other people off?"

The thought process seemed sound enough, so he found the flashlight in his daypack and turned it on, closed the door, and made his way inside. The first thing he saw; a fellow student, Scott something - or his reflection. Odd kind of kid, Steve had seen him around the art rooms pretty frequently, keeping himself to himself and drawing impressive but unusual art. Steve had never made a concerted effort to get to know him, having realised early on that the guy seemed to prefer being by himself. Heck, he couldn't even remember his surname, other than it was one of those Mc or O' ones.

Despite his demeanour back at Bayview, Steve had never found Scott to be very threatening, and seeing him here, alone, enjoying some bread, he was quite sure he'd found someone who'd managed to keep calm. Someone he could talk to, calm himself down with, and just generally relax until the inevitable arrival of someone less pleasant. The last part of that plan was hardly pleasant, but on the whole, it was more appealing than running around at random. Steve crossed the room to where Scott sat, and attempted a casual-sounding greeting. It came out a lot more strained, cautious, untrusting. Hard to blame him really.

"Eh... Scott, right?"
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh great. Show up in an obscure place to try and lay low, great. Meet someone you sort of know, and know well enough to feel they're not dangerous, great. And then someone else shows up, takes you by surprise with a torce to the eyes and demands your identity. Sarcastic-great.

Either way, the newcomer needed a response. "I'm Steve, this guy is Scott. We're n--", he began, cut off halfway by Scott dumping his daypack across the floor. He'd been meaning to say "We're not dangerous.", but now he was having second thoughts. Did Scott have a gun or something? Was he going to start attacking out of shock and frustration, as Kris had?

Again, Steve was cut off, this time mid-trail of thought, rather than mid-sentence. "Look, my weapon was headache medication. I'm not winning any fight with that, so I'm just waiting for the end, I guess. You got a better idea?"

Well, at least Scott was definately Scott, and he was just as deadly as Steve himself was. Headache medication and false moustaches, heck yeah, together they could start a troupe of travelling clown-medics. It'd make about as much sense as all the other insanity going on that day. Well, maybe not, that would be pretty stupid as well as crazy. Instead, Steve decided it would be better to figure out who was questioning them. He never had time to.

For the third time in quick succession, this time stopping him before he could even start to say anything, Steve was interrupted. Not by someone else speaking, though, but by the sound of shattering glass. One question came to mind. He asked it. "What the!?"
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"You want one?"

Finally, someone with a concept of hospitality. Sharing drinks rather than exchanging gunfire. Hadn't it been established some two thousand years ago that working together and being nice always yielded better results than treachary? Apparently not everyone had caught on to that one. Steve nodded, "Yeah, thanks, I could use something stronger than water..."

If only he hadn't left his personal bag back on the beach. Still, he'd wanted to get out of that mad place as soon as he could, sacrificing a few changes of clothes and some personal effects had been preferable to sticking around after what had happened. Unfortunately, he never had the chance to take a can, as a third newcomer arrived. Or at least, Steve assumed she'd only just got there.

"Hm. Lost?"

A girl's voice. In the darkness, Steve could just about make out the silhouette of the girl, holding a long stick or staff of some kind, and something in her other hand, probably a notepad or something. The voice sounded sort of familiar too. Was that... Meredith? That oddball he'd talked to occasionally back in school? Or was her name something else? He couldn't remember, really. Something beginning with ~*~P, though. Either way, he felt he should respond, if nobody else was going to.

"Nope, just resting. Wanna join us?"

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
(Sorry for taking so long with this, had many, many things to be busy with. Anyways...)

A notebook to write final letters to friends and family, eh? Sort of a touching sentiment, and had he been watching the show just then, rather than starring in it, Steve would most certainly have wanted in on it. Of course, if he'd been watching, he'd still be doubting whether or not it were real, and thinking the whole scene was a sort-of-cheesy cross between uplifting niceness and ironic tear-jerkery.

But the whole thing was academic, really. Short of holding a letter up to a camera for a few minutes, there wasn't much he could achieve by writing one except perhaps some catharsis. And sitting there in a pitch-black house of mirrors, lit only by jittery flashlights, nursing a jagged and still-bleeding wound on his arm, Steve didn't need much thinking time to decide it'd just be a waste of time.

Just one day it took to turn that optimistic, relaxed young man into this jaded individual. Goes to show the power of danger to warp one's psychology. He looked up to Meredith, shrugging. "I'll pass."

Doubtful that anybody noticed. Meredith was too busy having an argument with Jonathan... over note paper. Something that petty was capable of bringing people to such degrees of anger, just because of the omnipresent danger of death. It truly sickened Steve to consider that this was no natural setting, that some sociopath thought it would pass as entertainment... that it actually did.

And then a mirror was smashed, smashing Steve's concentration. Probably for the best, it would've only served to sap him of what little optimism he had left. He got to his feet, complaining aloud "What is it with you and mirrors, really? I'm not superstitious, but it's like you want to give us all bad luck!"

The Past

Chib
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"Hey Steve, you wanna get out of this chick's way? I'm off to find a better place to wait for the end."

Certainly sounded like a plan to Steve. Getting away from the nihilistic-sounding weirdo that couldn't stop breaking things sounded like a very good idea indeed. But all things considered, the fiasco at the beach in particular, he was more inclined to leave and go his own way. Never again did he want to feel responsible for failing to help someone that had been shot, or wounded any other way. He knew he was better off by himself, he'd attract less attention that way, and wouldn't put anyone else in danger. After all, he was quite sure it had been his fault Kimberly was shot in the first place.

"Yeah... but I'm gonna go by myself, okay?"

Not really a question, since he was doing it whether Scott was okay with it or not. Steve had already had quite enough of the stupid, dark, mirror-filled hell-hole and it's inhabitants. Going in there at all had been a mistake. So he too gathered up his stuff, and made for the exit. Off to pastures new, hopefully ones where he could just wait patiently for a sign of what to do next.

[Steve --> Break Up and Break Down]

The Past

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply