Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mirror Mirror; Topic Closed
Topic Started: Aug 8 2010, 06:06 AM (5,953 Views)
selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((G107 - Meredith Black Starto))

A loud banging noise shocked Meredith into wakefulness. Her eyes snapped open.

"GAH!" Meredith said, hearing the word echo down the chambers of the room.

The fact that she was in immediate danger did not quite occur to her until a couple of seconds later, when the scene of carnage that was the shooting of her teachers flashed before her eyes. Meredith whimpered. She'd been one of the few in the front row to watch that. Mrs Bishop, her head exploded, brains splattered over the floor.

Meredith rolled over onto her stomach and retched, only to find a long thread of drool dangle out of her mouth. She'd already vomited when she was tied up and her stomach was empty. It was a miracle that those people didn't shoot her for soiling her own clothes. They still stank, but the vomit seemed to have been cleaned off. Slid off, most likely. Vinyl didn't lend itself to being particularly absorbent.

She kept retching, trying to will the memories out of her head. She wondered vaguely if people had started shooting each other yet and if they were where she was.

Looking up, Meredith caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She looked like a wreck. Her hair was a mess, her makeup messed up. A damp patch on her clothes indicated where her vomit had landed and was wiped off. It was a look any shock rocker would be proud of.

Feeling rotten, Meredith leaned against a mirror and sobbed angrily. This wasn't goth. This was just disgusting. Her thoughts flipped back and forth, constantly focussing on the scene of carnage in front of her. Of Mrs Bishop's brains splattered on the floor.

"ARGH!" she yelled, angry and irritated.

Meredith balled her hands up into fists and hit the glass of the mirror, hard enough that the mirror shook a little, but not hard enough for it to break.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 8 2010, 07:06 AM.
Old v4 player.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
The scene of carnage played out over and over again in Meredith's mind. The teachers shot execution style. Gunned down like the dogs they were and weren't.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" Meredith pounded the glass of the mirror one more time and gave another unearthly howl of frustration.

She heard other voices, recognising only one as it ordered her to stay put and not move. Like hell she would. It seemed to her that keeping mobile would be a better survival tactic and she wasn't sure who the voice belonged to.

"A house of mirrors. A reflection of the darkness of the human soul, I suppose." Meredith murmured, "A place for killers to reflect on whether they are going to do what their disgusting souls tell them to do."

The crappy dark poetry calmed her down a bit. She stood, scrambled to her bags and picked them up, feeling around inside for her weapon and pulling it out. The weapon flopped around in her hands. She kept a firm grip on it... them? She had no idea what this was, perhaps it was some kind of triplenunchuck?

As she slung the bags over her shoulders, Meredith shoved all three sections of the weird kung-fu thing in one hand, but found that it was a little too big to fit in her fist. She hefted it a little, testing its weight, then settled for holding two sections in one hand and one in the other.

It was then that she noticed someone else in her immediate vicinity. Meredith turned to face Dave, allowing him full view of her running black mascara, her hair with bits of vomit in it (they may have wiped off her jacket but they did nothing for her hair) and the full force of her anger.

"What do you THINK I'm angry about?" she snapped at him, "You have three guesses. First two don't count. And the last one involves a fat slob."
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 9 2010, 08:51 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith let Dave walk backwards. In her odd state of mind, she couldn't decide if he was mocking her, or just trying to be funny. She simply listened to him talk for a while, a smile threatening to tug at the corner of her lips.

"Hm...." she said, "Hnahmm..."

Her unstable emotions overrode her common sense. Meredith burst out into peals of insane, uncontrollable laughter. She laughed harder and harder until she began to cry, putting her face in her hands. Meredith doubled over, sitting back down on the ground and sobbing with abandon. She rubbed her eyes with her knuckles, not caring if her makeup got more smeared and not letting go of her weapon just yet.

"This is all a huge joke." she cried, "Life sucks, and then you die? This is the worst... a fear filled... remainder of life, like prey... and then... painful death at the hands... of traitors... and... I have... vomit in ...my hair..."

Suddenly, her head snapped back up from her hands, face still tearstained. Meredith had heard the odd trumpet note echoing down the hallway, followed by the sound of running steps. The glare she gave Dave was one of absolute disgust. For the moment, right at this moment, she hated him more than anything else in the world.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 10 2010, 06:35 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((Post order changed with permission from Zetta Magnetic.))

Meredith glared at Dave for a few moments before her attention was caught up by something just behind him. She looked at Roland, her eyes flicking from the blood on his forehead to the reflection of his knife in the mirror next to him. It took her less than a second to size Roland up and react to his presence. She hadn’t even stopped to consider Roland’s motive. She had simply reacted instinctively to the presence of an unsheathed knife.

Quick as a wink, she released the side of the nunchuck she had in her left hand, gathering all three links in her right. Using her left hand to pull the bags off her shoulder, she shook herself out of her bag straps and sprang to her feet, dropping her bags onto the floor behind her.

She’d seen people use nunchucks in movies before and they’d all hurt themselves with it. She wasn’t about to. Meredith brought the weapon across her body, holding it out horizontally in front of her and compressing all the links into a single thick (but slightly unstable) baton. She’d figure out how to use the it later. For now, it was a bludgeoning tool.

Meredith ran straight towards Roland with a loud shriek of anger which reverberated off the mirrors around the trio, echoing down the corridors of the mirror maze. She tried to give Dave a rough shove towards the open corridor behind her as she passed him, rapidly closing the distance between herself and her opponent.

“GET THE HELL OUT! NOW!” Meredith snapped at Dave.

Meredith lifted her left hand to hold the other end of the weapon. Holding her makeshift baton out at chest height, she launched herself at her opponent with the intention of slamming bodily into him weapon-first, bending her elbows just slightly to allow herself some cushioning to soften the blow.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 11 2010, 04:33 AM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((Apologise, Zetta. I will give up my turn on another thread if we ever end up together again. Sorry about that.))

Meredith slammed into Roland with as much force as she could muster. There was no way she was going to get stabbed by some military freak with a knife. Unfortunately, after the first hit, she'd been grabbed by Roland, then flung back at a mirror, which was fairly unexpected. She barely even had time to register the hit and the fact that there were other people in the room watching.

The really good thing about trapeze classes is that it taught you how to fall properly from a great height. Meredith instinctively tucked her chin in to her body to prevent her head from getting hit. As she swung backwards, she pulled her arms out in front of her and tried to wrap them around her body. The grip she had on her weapon made that difficult.

The really bad thing about trapeze classes is that they also teach you to do nothing when you fall. Gravity is a bitch and fighting against it does a person no good. When you fell from the bar, you just had to get into a tucked position, hoped your teacher had a good hold on the safety rope and roll so that you land on your back. Meredith did all of these things as quickly as she could.

The only problem was that she wasn't landing in a net and she certainly wasn't falling sideways as opposed to downwards. Her body struggled to adapt. Instead of twisting so her back hit the mirror, she somehow managed to half-twist so that she ended up turning sideways.

Meredith hit the mirror hard, shoulder first. She winced, feeling all the wind get knocked out of her lungs. The chains on her makeshift baton swung upwards, hitting and bruising her hand, then hit the glass. The resounding clatter of metal on glass/plastic, made it difficult for her to make out any conversation.

"Oof!" she gasped.

She wasn't sure what the hell had just happened, but the three were talking calmly and would probably stab her to death after they were done. Best to play dead for now. She took a step backwards before sliding down the mirror into a sitting position. Once on the ground, Meredith slumped forward, pretending that the blow had knocked her out. It was not a very good act, considering that it took her a quite some time to go from stumbling about to knocked out. That, and she still had a pretty tight grip on her weapon.

She could feel bruises forming on her shoulder and back. Trying not to hiss in pain, she continued to sit there, ready to fight if they were to attack.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 12 2010, 04:13 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith's unkempt hair did a fairly good job of hiding her eyes, which was a fairly good thing since they were wide open. Her heart was beating quickly, watching the other three people in the room.

Isabel grabbed her lapel. Not wanting to get sliced open with Isabel's shiv, Meredith let the other girl do as she wanted, relaxing her body to make it slightly difficult. She let out a slight "oof" as she hit the floor.

She wasn't sure she was going to be able to take them all on, but if they took her bag, she'd definitely have to defend her stuff. Meredith's hands tightened their grip on her weapon as the other girl touched her bag, but relaxed just a tiny bit as she watched the girl with the trumpet slide the bag under her head without opening it.

Meredith listened as they sized her up, made fun of her, insulted her and then just left her behind. She watched for a as Dave waved at her, then kept watching as he took out his weapon and resheathed it in his pocket. She watched them walk away. She realised, then, that she had made no friends at Bayview and that nobody, not even her own classmates, cared whether she lived or died.

As soon as they were out of her sight, Meredith rolled over onto her stomach and pushed herself up with her arms. She was alone now, she was frightened and she didn't want to be. In the darkness, she curled up and cried until she felt like she could cry no more. When she was done with that, she pulled her own bags towards her and rifled through them.

They hadn't touched her notebook or pen, thank goodness. She opened it up to the first page. She'd bought the "Sandman: Death" notebook from the Hot Topic store a while back, but she'd never written in it. Well, she had, but her poetry was so awful that she ripped the pages out. The book still had a number of pages left. Meredith put pen to paper. She knew who she'd write to now.

"Dear Rebecca..." she began.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 13 2010, 04:20 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith’s handwriting was sloppy, but this time, she took the time to craft her letters carefully so that it was legible. Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness somewhat, so it wasn’t as difficult, though she couldn’t really make out the words she had written.

I have no idea if this is ever going to get to you. Meredith wrote, I’m stuck here and you’re over there. Don’t know how long I’ll survive this game but I’m gonna be dead long before the end anyways. I hope whoever surivives gets this over to you though, but chances are slim. Just so you know, I still think that you suck and I still hate you.

Anyway, you’re getting this so that you know how much crap it is when you know you’re probably going to be dead in a few days. Remember Mrs Bishop? You used to make fun of her hair. Well, now she has no hair. Or face. Or head. They blew it open with a gun or something. Her brains splattered all over the glass wall, Rebecca. It was disgusting and now I can’t stop thinking about it. I puked all over my clothes, it was so gross. I mean, I dreamt of torching the school before, but it was nothing like this.

I wonder if you’re watching this show. I wonder if you even care that I’m gone. I can just imagine mom and dad talking about this at one of their stupid parties. “Oh, our little Rebecca is so perfect and our little Adrian is so perfect. Oh Meredith was in Survival of the Fittest. On television! She’ll go far” and all that kinda crap.

Can you believe what a dumbass I was? I thought I’d be a hero, protect this other kid that was standing with me from some knife toting crazy, but I blew it badly and now everyone thinks I’m crazy. I guess that’s what I wanted. I mean, I spent all of highschool wasting my time outside the school and being scary and shit, right? Freaking hell, they even insulted me after that stupid military brat smashed my shoulder into a wall.

It still hurts now.

I can’t believe that I even want to go home right now. Not after spending all my time trying to not be at home and now I want to be in that stupid house with your stupid face and your stupid yelling at mom for your bullshit reasons and mom’s stupid fawning over her perfect little son.

Anyway, I’m gonna go outside in a bit. Or maybe stay here in this stupid mirror house. I dunno.

Pandora Black

PS.

Meredith thought for a while, then scribbled another two words. “I’m scared”. She wiped her eyes – she was already crying a little from just writing this.

She shut the book with a snap, then rummaged through her stuff, feeling around inside her bag for more things, trying to see what she’d been given. Most of her clothes were in the bags. They’d come in useful later, she supposed – half of it was vinyl and the other half were ripped T-shirts, denim jeans and lots of leather. The other bag contained bottled water, bread and crackers, a sizeable first aid kit, a folded up piece of paper, a compass, a torch and what seemed to be another book.

She pulled the latter out and clicked the torch open to read it for a while.

((ooc: Next post in 1 post cycle of Break up and Break Down, unless someone else enters the Mirror house))
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 17 2010, 12:08 AM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith’s hands shook as she finished reading the last word of the last page of the booklet. Furious, she threw the book down onto the ground and clicked the torch off.

She hated the book. She hated its condescending tone, as if it were mocking her and her situation. As if it were making fun of the atrocities that her classmates were going to commit just to survive. How could that... How could anyone treat this thing in such a blasé manner, as if it were something to laugh at? As if it were entertainment? She was dimly aware of her own hypocrisy in her attitude. She’d never paid attention to the games at all when she was back in Bayview. Why hadn’t she done anything about it when she was alive?

Angry with herself and with the futility of her situation, Meredith fell upon the booklet and began to destroy it. She threw it against a mirror, stepped on it, tore it into little shreds and threw the resulting confetti around. She tried to cry again, but realised that she had already long since run out of tears. She screamed angrily, then lay down in a fetal position. Exhausted with all her screaming and crying, she closed her eyes momentarily and dozed off for a minute or two.

When she awoke, she found herself still in the mirror room, surrounded by shreds of paper and her things. The notebook on the floor drew her attention. She opened it up and reread the letter she wrote.

She wondered how many other kids would die on this island without having their thoughts heard.

She opened the book and tore out the first page. There were plenty more pages behind it. Picking up her pen, she began to write, using the torch to help light up her paper.

Meredith knew what she had to do and nobody was going to stop her.

((Exit post in 1 post cycle of Break up and Break down unless someone else enters or starts in the Mirror House))
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 17 2010, 07:47 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith put her pen in her pencil box, then put the pencil box away. She stowed the book in one of her bags and then started to pack or unpack. She already knew she only needed one bag to survive. Anything that she didn't really need - spare clothes and the like, were removed and placed on the floor of the mirror house.

By the time she was done, she'd stripped her inventory down to the basics - rations, a pencil box, the notebook, her weapon and the first aid kit. The bag was still heavy with the weight of the water she was carrying, but nothing she couldn't handle.

The mirror house was going to act as her base of operations. She'd leave most of her useless stuff here, but keep everything else - and maybe stop by in the mirror house for sleep at night. If it was anything like a normal mirror house, it would probably have an entrance and an exit. She'd better get to know this place well if she wanted to keep herself protected. If she was to succeed, she'd probably want to keep an ear out for the morning announcements too.

Meredith drained half of one of the water bottles she had in her pack as she walked aimlessly around the mirror house. Most of the others had left and she hadn't really sensed the presence of anyone entering the vicinity. The place was kind of labyrinthine, but her eyes had already adjusted to the darkness.

Something made a loud crunching sound underneath her boots. She looked around and identified it as glass from a broken mirror.

It gave her an idea.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 22 2010, 06:36 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Having located one of the exits, Meredith smiled to herself. She pulled the hood of her vinyl cloak over her head. There was no sense in getting broken bits of mirror all over her face.

She knew she was alone. Everyone else had left her behind, even made fun of her a little. Well, all the better for her to protect her base and hideout. She raised her weapon in both hands like a bat, wound herself up and swung it towards the mirror on her right.

Just as the weapon was about to hit, she heard someone call out loudly. By the time she heard the call, Meredith couldn't stop the momentum of her weapon. She pulled her arms back as hard as she could, but it was too late.

The three-section staff hit the mirror with some force, shattering it completely and quite loudly. The sound of breaking glass echoed through the corridors. The mirror burst, fragments of glass crashing to the ground, some sent flying towards Meredith, but she was... thankfully, somewhat protected by her long sleeves and cloak.

Meredith sighed, whoever was there would now be alerted to her presence. Not wanting to leave a good job half-finished, she used the end of her weapon to dig out all the remaining shards of the mirror from the frame, tossing them to the ground and ensuring that the broken bits of mirror were well spread out across the floor.

Once that was done, she made a break for it, running into the maze and trying to hide.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Aug 28 2010, 08:54 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith walked slowly through the mirror house, looking for the other exit and familiarising herself with its interior. If she was going to protect herself, she was going to need to know every inch of her own base of operations. The mirror house was ideal terrain for someone trying to fool others.

She didn't really think she needed to announce her presence to anyone. This was her base and the others were merely intruders. Eventually, her stroll through the mirror house brought her to where the others were.

Meredith stared at the three boys, then shrugged, "Hm. Lost?"

Her hand gripped her weapon firmly, the other hand reaching around to her bag to pull out her spiral notebook with the pen attached to it.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Sep 3 2010, 11:44 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((Ha ha. Very funny Chib. >_< GMing approved by Gambit so that we can move this thread along a little faster.))

Merry glared at the three boys through her shaggy fringe of hair, then turned her gaze directly at Jonathan. She didn't recognise any of them at all, but she didn't care. Jon's assumption that she would simply just do as he asked grated on her. It annoyed her to no end. Her hand tightened on her weapon, but she resisted the all-too-easy temptation of swinging it into his face.

“This notebook isn’t for writing plans for your futile escapes.” She sneered at him, “Do not lump me in with your pointless hallucinations.

Jon frowned. Seriously, what was up with his constantly meeting moronic girls? He glared back at the goth girl.

"Look, you may want to give up, but some of us aren't so easily discouraged as you." He growled.

Meredith stood her ground, her glare now replaced with a calm, but slightly unnerving stare. "Perhaps, perhaps. But this book is for writing your last thoughts within. Your last letter home. I do not want to waste its pages.” she said.

From the looks of it, this girl had given up. Jon folded his arms and raised an eyebrow, "A last letter home, geez when you end up biting the bullet like you said you will, then they would just burn it anyway. It's useless to write a last letter."

"Some people like the closure. I like the closure. This is not your notebook. It is mine." Meredith said as she continued to stare unnervingly at her verbal opponent, "We have already been warned about escaping the island. I'm sure the Caesars in their Colosseum love to watch a last, pathetic attempt to escape, but I do not want to feed the lions. You may wish to do so, but I do not. My death will be meaningful."

""No, you just want to sit here, writing some bullshit letter to your loved ones." Jon was seriously starting to get annoyed with the emo chick. Raising his voice a little, he fixed her stare with his own. "I on the other hand, am actually going to do something worth remembering."

"Very well, then do not write in the pages of my book. I'm sure you have your own writing implements and that booklet that the beast sent. I'm sure that the beast has a way of reading what you write. Cameras are clever." Meredith said. "Dream your dreams of heroism, little fool, and I hope you wake up the better for it."

"Fine, keep your book, let your classmates die around you. I don't need you with me, selfish bitch." Jon snapped.

Meredith sighed and held the notebook out to the boys with one hand, her other hand still firmly fixed on her three-section staff.

“Very well. As to the others, my book is for you to write your letter home. Now, I need to break this mirror. If you want to write, go ahead. Don’t be a bitch and use it for writing stupid escape plans. I don’t want you wasting any pages.” She drawled as she tossed the notebook onto the floor between the boys, "If you try and steal my notebook, I’m going to get very angry."

Leaving the notebook amongst the three boys momentarily, Meredith walked up to the mirrors closest to the doors.

“I am going to break these mirrrors now.” She said to them moments before she did so.

Glass tumbled from the mirror frames, spilling out across the floor.
Edited by selphie_trabia, Sep 9 2010, 04:11 AM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
((As Gambit is no longer playing in this thread, it would be prudent for characters not to accept to join him. Cluevara has informed me that he will be taking charge of Jon in order to remove Jon from this thread ASAP. In the meantime, Chickenshista, you're up.))
Edited by selphie_trabia, Sep 13 2010, 10:11 PM.
Old v4 player.

selphie_trabia
The faceless fear
[ *  *  * ]
Meredith used her staff to lever the remaining glass out of the mirror’s frame, as she did so, she heard the other two boys talking. She opened her mouth to explain her actions.

“I-...” she murmured, but she was rudely interrupted by Scott.

Before she could even get a word in edgeways, both boys had called her crazy and left the mirror house. Meredith frowned and spread the broken glass shards across the floor. Fine then, let them think she was crazy. When the next group of students came into the mirror house, their shoes would cause the little shards to clink. And if they walked barefoot, they would have nothing to protect them from the sharp glass below.

Inwardly, she hoped that Scott would slice his hand on the glass piece he stole from her mirror house. Maybe after he fed his blood to the mirror, he would learn his own reflection could hurt and hurt him badly, just like her own reflection had hurt her when she saw it in the eyes of her peers.

“I am Pandora, the reflection that remains after reality turned hollow.” She murmured to nobody in particular, “Perhaps the reflection will dissolve in the light. Perhaps it will not and become the reality.”

The sentence didn’t make sense, but Meredith wasn’t looking to make any sense. She was looking to calm herself down, to feel better about things. Being “gothy” brought some sense of normalcy back into her situation. It was familiar to her and it comforted her. She bent down and gingerly picked up the notebook from the wreckage on the floor, shaking the glass off it as she did so. The pen was unharmed and the notebook wasn’t damaged.

She reached for the doorknob, but pulled her hand back as a loud squeal from the loudspeakers startled her. Meredith stood stock still, listening numbly as lists of the dead were read out. As quick as she could, she scribbled the names and causes of death as Danya read them out. Then, she pulled out her map and, using the notebook as a base, carefully drew crosses on the new danger zones.

“The beast roars after he has fed. The beast will get no satisfaction from me today.” She growled back at the loudspeakers.

Meredith thrust the notebook into an inner pocket of in her big cape-like vinyl coat, opened the door and stepped out, squinting, into the sunshine.

((Meredith continued on in Death at a Funeral. This thread is now CLOSED.))
Edited by selphie_trabia, Sep 22 2010, 07:35 PM.
Old v4 player.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Hall of Mirrors · Next Topic »
Add Reply