Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mah Writings
Topic Started: Jun 11 2010, 09:38 AM (3,320 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Working with the Inquisition was more fulfilling than Vee would have given it credit for at first. She’d never wanted to join the templars, nor become a sister, nor go off and join the military – not that her parents would have allowed it. Being a part of a huge organisation, just a cog in a massive piece of clockwork; it didn’t strike her as something that she would enjoy. Her experience in the templars as a teenager had taught her that much. One of the few memories that was completely distinct was the feeling of fierce joy that had shot through her when Ostwick’s Knight-Commander had finally lost his temper and sent her away, throwing her out of the order. It had even been worth enduring her family’s disgust and anger with her upon her ignominious return. Wasn’t as if it was the first time she’d been a disappointment to them.

Still, the Inquisition was a contrast. Nobody was giving her orders here, or treating her like a mindless drone. She was appreciated; her help was appreciated, and the Inquisition was becoming a beacon of hope for many people. Often, they were the only people who were bothering to lend aid to the common folk affected by the crisis. That meant a lot more than Vee could express, or in truth had expected it to. She’d never really been an extrinsically motivated person; self-reliance and independence, those were her watchwords. <i>Had</i> been her watchwords. Even the confused stares at her silence and movements of her hands were beginning to grow less frequent as the word spread that the Herald did not speak. Some were even taking that as a sign of her faith and dedication to Andraste; that she had taken a vow not to say a word until the Breach was closed. Leliana, Vee knew, had done nothing to discourage those rumours. Better those than the more sinister ones.

Almost as enthusing as the good work they were doing was the fact that the Inquisition was growing. New recruits and contacts trickled in on a daily basis; the flood of support they’d received from the Hinterlands was both alarming and gratifying. Perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise that people wanted to become a part of an organisation that had helped them out – returning the favour, so to speak. Along with the volunteers came others, companions trusted enough for Vee to bring along in her smaller excursions, to lead tasks of their own. Vivienne, the elegant mage who made Vee uncomfortable, reminding her so much of the atmosphere at home that she’d craved to escape. Blackwall, the Grey Warden, gruff and serious, but dedicated, deferring to orders without question. Sera, who had found the idea of Vee’s signing ‘Weird, but not bad weird. Good kind of weird, yeah?’. Then there was Iron Bull, warrior and spy, boisterous and full-hearted. Vee didn’t know what to make of him.

Sometimes, though, Vee just needed a break from them all, from her responsibilities. She wasn’t used to anyone particularly caring about what she was doing, or bothering to track her down for any reason other than to scold her about some task she was perceived to be dodging. Which she inevitably was not, but that wouldn’t stop her mother telling her off for the sake of it. Now though, the Inquisition demanded her attention on a regular basis; part of being the Herald, she supposed. Strange that even though she did not lead their field operations – Cassandra was better at that, the others often deferred to her anyway. Not strange enough to mean that it wasn’t nice to have her opinion valued, however.

She sat facing the frozen lake outside of Haven’s gates, perched on a rock with her legs crossed. Behind her she could hear the clamour of the soldiers in training, the shouting and the clash of blade on blade. Silence had always unsettled her, even when she was young; it came with growing up alongside a veritable hoard of siblings, she supposed. Vee thought better when there was at least a little bustle going on, if only just in the background. That was a boost she needed, too, because she was attempting to write home.

It felt a futile effort, to try and commit ink to parchment. Relearning her letters had taken some time, hours upon hours sitting in Josephine’s office and reading correspondence, trying to make sense of the lines upon the page as the other woman patiently walked her through it. Remembering how to write had been difficult, though thankfully less of a stubborn block than her verbal language, in spite of her clumsy penmanship. No, the difficulties were no longer in mechanics or comprehension, but in finding anything at all to say. Vee’s feelings about her family were mixed, possibly the most patchwork part of her memory. She cared for her siblings. Some of them. She cared for her parents, but it was tangled, mixed up in years of hostility and disagreements that her hazy recollections could barely make sense of. Her mother had wanted a specific path for her, Vee had wanted another. Her father had simply… wanted her out from underfoot. Married off. She’d disappointed both in her rebellion, and she regretted that they felt that way, but not that she’d done it in the first place.

Very complicated, and Vee didn’t even know where to begin with the letter, wouldn’t even have thought to write if a short message from home hadn’t arrived a few days ago.

’Violetta, we have heard a great many distressing things about the Conclave and what may have happened to you.

Please let us know that you are safe and hale.

Lady Harriet Trevelyan
Ostwick.’

To just say that she was fine seemed cursory. Vee was fine, mostly. Better than she’d been in a long while, which was a lot of the problem. It was better because it wasn’t Ostwick. What was she supposed to write? ‘Oh I’m okay. Alive. Also they’re calling me the Herald of Andraste now and I forgot how talking works. Hope you’re not still angry about the templar thing.’

Vee stared vehemently at the blank page, as if that would cause words to materialise on it.

“Herald, are you alright?” the voice was soft, so different from the commanding tone she was used to hearing that it took Vee a moment to realise that it belonged to Cullen.

Vee swivelled and hesitated. Her hands had already begun forming the motions of signing, but she wasn’t sure if Cullen would understand. After a moment though, she realised; he was studying her closely at just below chest level. Where she was signing. She completed the movements.

’I’ve been better. My mother wrote me.’

Cullen’s lips moved soundlessly. He was mouthing the words. “I see,” he glanced to the blank paper at Vee’s side. “The reply is not going so well, it seems.”

She broke into a smile, in spite of the unhappy topic. He could understand. Now his long looks towards her in the meetings of the inner circle made so much more sense. He had been trying to work out what she was saying. How long must that have taken him to pick up?

Her face fell again as she considered a response. ’Our relationship is…’ Vee hesitated before settling on ’Strained.’

“Ah… you have my sympathies,” the commander ducked his head. “I did not mean to pry, I simply saw that you had been sitting out here for over an hour. I thought you may be cold.”

’It’s fine. But thank you C u l l e n.’

A smile, tugging the scar above his lip. He suited smiling, Vee decided. “I … think that was my name. Was it my name?”

Vee nodded, tilted her head to the side. ‘Did you learn this by yourself?’

“Not all,” Cullen admitted. “I’m still thoroughly inept at making the signs for myself.”

‘You understand at least. Most can’t,’ Vee was still having to direct most of her communication through Solas and more recently Varric, who had taken no small delight in the realisation that he could now sign obscene jokes to her without anybody else realising, laughing to himself whenever he made her blush in front of other people.

“You’re high on the chain of command. It’s important that I know what you’re saying, if we were to be in the midst of battle, relaying orders through a translator would be a luxury we could ill afford, any delay could possibly result in-” Cullen paused, cutting himself off, sheepish. “Forgive me. I came over to see if you were all right, and now it seems I’m lecturing you, instead.”

Vee grinned. ’I’m used to lectures. That was far from the worst I’ve had,’ in truth, it was just nice that Cullen had gone to such an effort. He may have had his reasons, but there were plenty who would have had good reason to learn to comprehend her signing and hadn’t bothered.

“Oh? It seems I’ve found the only person in Haven willing to listen to me talk,” Cullen glanced over his shoulder and then sighed. “Sadly, duty calls. Best of luck with your letter. Perhaps next time I’ll be able to speak to you in kind,” a salute.

’I look forward to it,’ she answered, and Cullen nodded, turning away with that cute half-smile on his face.

A wisp of an impression drifted behind him.

Comrade. Commander. Can I learn more about her? Can we become friends?
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As I keep forgetting to post here, and the work is actually complete now, I'm going to just put up a link to the finished piece:

Quote:

Dragon Age: Inquisition fanfic

Genre: Angst, Romance, and Drama

Rating: M (violence and dark themes)

Warnings: Blood, mentions of injuries, character death, and body horror.

Prompt: The Inquisitor is not truly who they think they are, but a spirit inhabiting the body of the individual who originally passed through the Fade, being rendered comatose in the process. Now, with a head full of borrowed memories and all the problems to go along with it, they must navigate the challenges the Inquisition faces and, along the way, rediscover their own nature.

Word Count: 67,000

Having decided that I am categorically Too Lazy to post each individual chapter on tumblr, I figured I may as well link to the finished work on AO3. Angst abounds, and there are spoilers up to Here Lies The Abyss.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3405566/chapters/7455317

Original prompt: http://dragonage-kink.livejournal.com/12149.html?thread=47703669#t47703669
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Walk a Mile on This Crutch

Dragon Age: Origins

Genre: Angst, Romance, and Fluff

Rating: T (some violence, not too graphic)

Warnings: Blood, mentions of injuries

Summary: Or, 'five times having only one leg was an issue, and once that it wasn't.'

A dip into the life of Rosemary Surana and her adventures in the Blight, and the struggles she encountered along the way.

Spoilers for most of DA: Origins, and currently ongoing.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3657357/chapters/8081844
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Choices

Moar dragon age inquisition.

Quote:

Decided to continue with the work I started before Friend of the Fade and keep writing the 'all backgrounds' fic I was working on.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/368027 ... rs/8138418

So every type of Inquisitor coming through one way or another to join the Inquisition. Lots of short snips of scenes.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Walk a Mile updated yesterday. =3
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And it done did again.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Walk a Mile is finished!

Quote:

Dragon Age: Origins fanfic

Genre: Fluff, Friendship, and Romance

Rating: T (a little violence)

Warnings: Blood, some injuries, ableism.

Summary: Or, 'five times having only one leg was an issue, and once that it wasn't.'

A dip into the life of Rosemary Surana and her adventures in the Blight, and the struggles she encountered along the way.

Word Count: 30,600

A little sad in places, but largely good feelings here. Spoilers for much of Origins.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3657357/chapters/8081844

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Valkyria Chronicles fic.

Burning Flowers

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Forgot to post this when I first finished it.

Merely Blood, Not Magic

Quote:

Dragon Age II fanfic. Now complete.

Genre: Angst, Hurt/comfort, Mental Health

Rating: M (graphic blood, dark themes)

Warnings: Blood, Self-harm, Depression, Alcoholism, Mental Health

Pairing: None.

Word Count: 7,463

Summary: From a prompt on the DA Kink Meme: It’s been a year since Hawke became champion of Kirkwall, and she’s struggling, seemingly unable to drag herself clear of a creeping black depression. One evening, she finds momentary relief in a self-destructive path, and devoid of any other means to cope, turns increasingly to self-harming to stave off the bleak numbness. When this is discovered, however, assumptions are made; what motives could a mage have for drawing their own blood than forbidden magic? The burning question becomes - Is Hawke a blood mage?

Huge TWs for mental health, self harming behaviour (cutting), and general depression throughout.

If there is anything you would like me to tag as a TW that I haven’t already, please tell me.

Linky

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mor durgan age

Quote:

Changing My Reflection: DA:I Fanfic
Genre: Gen, with a little romance.

Rating: Teen.

Warnings: Gender dysphoria.

Pairing: F/F (Lavellan/Josephine).

Summary: Lavellan has long had issues with her body, issues she’s been forced to accept and cope with as best she can. The Black Emporium offers a solution she barely dares to hope for.

On AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4813817

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
'Don't Sleep in the Shadows (Or the Common Room)'

As part of my drive to do more regular writing, I’ve decided to work on some shorter pieces. This has apparently coalesced into a college AU. I don’t know how.

Genre: AU, but fluffy.

Rating: General!

Warnings: Does ‘college AU’ qualify as a warning? If so, yes. College AU

Pairing: Nope!

Summary: Gobbet catches Duncan sleeping and ropes Is0bel into an ill-advised scheme.

Linky: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4890103

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Haven't updated in a little while. Have some spam.

Quote:

Shoulda Used a Password: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, but fluffy.

Warnings: Does ‘college AU’ qualify as a warning? If so, yes. College AU

Summary: Gobbet struggles with The Essay of Doom, and searching for a way of procrastinating, happens upon some personal property.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4899919

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Panic! At the Dorm Room: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, still fluffy.

Warnings: COLLEGE AU MAYDAY.

Summary: Gobbet really ought to stop playing loud music late at night.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4935961

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

A Mouse’s Courage: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, slightly angsty.

Rating: Teen for swears

Warnings: College AU this is not a drill

Pairing: Duncan Wu & Female Main Character (platonic)

Summary: After a phonecall from home goes awry, Duncan gets some answers he wasn’t sure he wanted.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4975294

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

A Mouse’s Hangover: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU

Rating: Gen

Warnings: Code C for College

Pairing: Monika Schäfer /Female Dragonfall Protagonist

Summary: Jenny isn’t sure what happened last night, nor how she wound up sleeping on a stranger’s couch, but maybe she can make some friends out of it. (Follows from A Mouse’s Courage)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5025892

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artist's Alley · Next Topic »
Add Reply