Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
In Loving Memory of Jerred Guillen; Please read, this is important.
Topic Started: Sep 27 2009, 07:57 AM (8,228 Views)
Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It really pains me to say this, but Jerred Guillen, or DetectiveArcher as some of you are more familiar with, passed away last night. Theresa said she couldn't handle telling everybody, so I'm going to give you the details as per her request. My sole plea is that nobody PMs her or IMs her asking for more information in light of the difficult time her and her family are going through. The least we can do for her right now is respect her privacy.

These details will be hard to read, but she requested that I share them for you all. Please brace yourselves.

Jerred hanged himself in the Guillen family's garage. Theresa walked in later that night and found him. They called 911, and the paramedics took him to the hospital where they pronounced him.

None of the Guillens saw this coming, and neither could any of us. As I say that, I have to re-assure you all. Please do not feel guilty or responsible for Jerred's passing. There is nothing that any of us could have done; and Theresa, if you read this, I'm including you here as well. You were and still are a loving, thoughtful, and supportive sister. You haven't failed in any way. Your brother loved you, and continues to love you.

If anyone wants to leave a thoughtful message, a memory of Jerred, or support for the Guillen family in this trying time, they are more than welcome to. I once again ask that these messages stay in this thread. Theresa needs our support, but she also needs to grieve, and I ask that everybody respects that.

For now, I'm also going to ask that everyone puts their petty and inconsequential grievances with each other aside. Please be there for each other. In life, Jerred stepped in to mediate so many of our squabbles and differences, and in comparison, they all seem so futile now. We need to be there for each other instead of separating ourselves for tiny, insignificant reasons. His kindness, neutrality, and infinite pearls of wisdom reminded us of that in life, and the least we can do for him is carry on his talent and his care into our lives. That will be our best way to remember him.

I'm going to conclude with a quote Theresa told me just hours ago.

Quote:

I know my brother considered you guys his friends, and he spoke of you fondly and often. Thank you for being there for him. He really enjoyed getting to know you, and spending time with you in chat and working on SoTF.

Talk to each other. Cry, laugh, and be there. Life is fragile, and we all need to get through it together, especially in times like this.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lord Jarke
How will you and I pass the time?
[ * ]
My full condolences to his family and I hope they recover. I can't say I knew him well or anything but still, this is awful news. I cannot really say much beyond that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can't really express exactly how this news has made me feel, and I have the most heartfelt sympathy for Theresa and the rest of Jer's family right now, because I'm sure anything I'm feeling right now must be insignificant compared to them.

Jer was such a great guy, nice to be around, nice to talk with, fantastic from a writing standpoint... just all around one of the nicest, friendliest people on the site, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I feel... bad for not having spoken to him more about whatever.

We've not only lost a great staff member and writer, but a friend too.

I love you man.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hallucinojelly
Member Avatar
God was telling you "not yet".
[ *  *  *  * ]
Although I didn't know him very well, I know what an effect he had on the members here, and I know how much he meant to everyone who knew him.

Sufficed to say, we've lost a truly magnificent guy, and the site will be a whole lot emptier without him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Theresa. We'll never forget him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

TheLeakyFaucet
Member Avatar
Why hallo thar
[ *  * ]
I'm still relatively new here so I can't say that I knew him very well - but still, this is horrible news. From what I saw, he really seemed like a nice guy. My heart goes out to all of his close friends and family members affected by this tragedy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tythanin
Member Avatar
Time to Spare
[ *  *  * ]
Whoa...I can't really express my shock in words. He really was an awesome guy and I always enjoyed talking to him as well as reading the posts he made on this forum. I really, really wish from the bottom of my heart that this hadn't happened and I hope for the best for Theresa and the rest of the Guillen family.

He definitely will be missed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I really don't know what to say or write here. It all seems so insignificant. I didn't know Jerred nearly as well as I would have liked to, but he was one of the kindest, friendliest, most caring people on the board. He was a wonderful guy all around, and I'll miss him a ton.

I'm sort of in shock right now.

I don't really know what to say about all this except that I'm so, so sorry that it happened. Theresa, I'm so sorry about all this.
Online Profile Goto Top

Greg The Anti-Viking
Member Avatar
On the left is a mod, on the right is a pre-made psycho...get the picture?
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, this post really took me by surprise today, just like everyone else. I can't really say as much as I would like, as I never really knew him very well, especially in comparison to the mod team and any of the older members of the forums. The times I did spend though talking with him were telling fond and friendly stories and just having an overall good time together. My condolences to Theresa, their family and all of the close friends. I wish all of you the best during your time of grief.

You will be missed Jarred.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jerred...
Offline Profile Goto Top

T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jerred, I truly hope that you rest in peace. It's always such a tragedy when something like this happens... so much more-so since we were all so close to him. I send my best wishes to his family, and to Theresa. He'll be incredibly missed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
"That’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler.”
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
... Holy shit. Oh my god, that's so horrible. I was speaking with him yesterday! I didn't expect this.

I am so sorry for his family. I am so very, very sorry. He was such a nice guy, I didn't know him as well as everyone on the forum but he was amazing. I don't know what to say. I really, really hope the best for the Guillen family and all their closest friends. :( Especially you Theresa, I don't know what to say that hasn't been said but I WISH you all the best. I can't imagine just how horrible this is for you.

Again, I wish you all the best.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ifnotwinter
Member Avatar
half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Like other people have said, I don't really know what to say. I don't think there's anything I can say.

We'll miss you, Jerbear.
Offline Profile Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Holy shit...

I never really got to know him well enough, but damn. I kind of regret not having enough conversations with him. What if I would be able to say something that would have...

Oh dear. I really don't know what to say. I'm shaking.

We all will miss him. He must have done a lot for this community.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ares
Member Avatar
V3 World Heavyweight Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know where to begin. I got a text message from Adam this morning saying that I had to check the site right away. My first instinct was maybe we had another funny profile submission, or there was a disagreement of some sort. I never expected this. For the last few hours I've been sitting here trying to think of how to describe my feelings on this, so bear with me while I try.

As I think most of you know, Jerred and I were excellent friends. Him, Aaron and Dodd combined to give me 3 of the best friends I could ask for. Jerred was one of the best people I've never met in person. From the time he joined in V3, I had an instant connection with him both in writing and outside of the site. Arch and I would constantly try and one-up each other on Rock Band 2, shoot the shit about music, women, booze. He was one of the very few genuine people I know in my life. What you see is what you get with him and I always respected him for that. He was always able to cheer someone up when needed. He was a great moderator in that he was fair to everyone every single time he did a critique.

I think we all know how awesome Arch is. His quips and one-liners in the Chatzy made for some of the funniest moments I've ever laid witness to. From the crowning of "The Arch" and "The Dan", to he and Adam's (Pigeon Army) Sales Masters, even to the Guillen family slang that we all became accustomed to. Heck, I fondly remember the night that he came back from a concert and joined the chatzy. He said, "Dan you'll be proud of me, then not so proud of me." I inquired with a "Go on..." Jerred then revealed that he taken my tips for approaching girls and had made out with a girl at the concert. It was then hilariously revealed that he was 15, leading to many Mimi jokes and ribs that he participated in. That in itself reveals that Jerred was a great person. It takes a great person to be able to laugh at themselves the way Arch did.

From a writing perspective I believe that Arch produced some of the most memorable and pure quality writing on this site. I feel honoured that I was able to RP the scene between Eddie and Riz with him. I really do.

My best wishes go out to the entire Guillen family. If there is anything at all that I can do for you guys please let me know.

Jerred "Arch" Guillen. He was my friend. He was my Mexican Brother. He was a damn great person. Remember him for that.

I hope you find the peace you needed.

- Daniel Cosyn
Offline Profile Goto Top

landlocked
Member Avatar
Supreme Ruler Of All Video Land
[ *  *  * ]
Well. Um. I know I've left this forum and all but... fuck. If ever there were a time to post again it would be now.

I'm having trouble thinking of something eloquent to say right now. I'm kind of still completely shocked. Fuck. Jerred, you were such a great guy. You were always nice to me. You were always funny, and witty, and you didn't mind my terrible jokes, and your characters were great, and you were one of the reasons I didn't end up leaving sooner than I did, along with a few other people.

I wish I'd talked to you more. I wish I there was something I could've done. But I guess all I can do now is say that I'm really, really fucking sorry, and I hope that wherever you are if anywhere, you're happier, and Tre, I hope that you don't blame yourself, and that you're okay, and I hope that the rest of your family is, too, and... fuck. And Mimi, and Aaron, and James, and Dan, and everyone else here that I know was close to Jer, I hope you guys are all right, too.

There needs to be a fucking way to get these stupid pixels on a screen to express how fucking devastated I am right now. Rest in peace, Jer, and Tre and everyone else, you guys have my deepest fucking sympathies.

Love, Chris.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Locked Topic