Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v4 Concepts Relapse; Spam and I'll eat you
Topic Started: Aug 22 2008, 02:22 AM (33,316 Views)
Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
Now you may be wondering, who was wearing the bolo tie? Me or the shark? Answer: YES!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I did a bit of poking around for the fun of it, and it looks like we've had 3 characters with split personalities: One in V1 who murdered his parents at age 11, one in V2 who was the second person in the world to have their (particularly violent) form of SPD (and who was also albino), and one in V3 who manifested once in their bio and dropped it on the island because the handler thought it was dumb. Altogether not a great track record for SPD.

Granted, I'm not really an expert or anything on SoTF or characterization, but starting with yourself or your friends isn't a bad idea. At least it's easy to be realistic, and you can modify their personalities from there. Also, a few months down the line, you can go up to them in math or whatever and go "Hey, Cody, I was RPing a character based off of you and someone sliced their face off with a pizza cutter and shanked him with a shard of glass, but not before he took off a couple of their fingers with some bolt cutters. It was awesome!"
VeeFive

V4

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Kayhay, so I'm slightly tipsy and posting from a friend's house, so I'm gonna up and post this cause I've looked at the characters thread and seen like half a dozen characters from newcomers to the board that are all some variation of "YARGH I AM AN ANGSTY BADASS WITH A TRAGI-RIDICULOUS BACKSTORY, AND COME ISLAND TIME MY CHARACTER WILL SAVE/KILL EVERYONE ELSE". And since the discussion has come up here again, I'll expand on it. Now I'm not a mod and I'm not a veteran, so in a way I'm just talking outta my ass here, but meh. And I'm NOT targeting anyone in particular, least of all the newcomers who have posted in this thread. Frankly, the fact that you've posted here already shows that you're looking to work with everyone else here to make a good story.

Im'a give nine examples.

Lulu Altaire
Ryan Atwell
James Brown
Steve Digaetano
Lex Machina
Trish McCarroll
Lenny Priestly
J.R. Rizzolo
Eddie Sullivan

(in case you haven't kept up with it, they're the final nine characters of v3 :P )

Now, no one's saying that these nine were/are the BEST characters of v3, since luck and other factors determine who reaches the end. But all of them are highly regarded characters, and if you go to the "who will win v3?" thread, you'll notice that all of them are highly praised characters who people would like to see win. So what do all of them have in common? Just look at their bios. They are all sickeningly normal high school kids. No bizarre medical conditions, no psychos, no ridiculous backstories. Seriously, the only things in any of those characters that might raise questions are Steve being one of the better QBs in the nation and Lenny's "evil nanny" backstory (and note that Theseus pretty much dropped that plot point entirely, because he's a good writer that doesn't need something like that).

And as these characters REALLY show, normal does NOT mean boring. All these characters have thier different personalities and individual traits that make them great and unique characters. That's because their handlers have the skills to create compelling characters without resorting to goofy gimmicks.

I mean, I understand where some of these wannabe-badass characters with tragedy in their hearts and over-the-top personalities and crazy conditions come from. It's completely normal to want your character to stand out. If you were writing a story that was based around your character, then it might even work. But the thing is, SOTF is absolutely NOT based around your character, or anyone's character. SOTF is a collaborative effort between a shitload of different handlers and 200 freaking characters. Your character needs to be a part of a whole, and when you create a character who is NOT a normal high school student, you're forcing everyone else's characters to revolve around yours. You're unintentionally saying "my character is more important than your boring normal loser". Because how is Joe Normal Highschooler supposed to react when he's just minding his own business and suddenly Angst. J. Badass comes walking by, and he's 7 feet tall and dresses like Sephiroth and carries a sword around and was raped as a child his parents are dead and he's trained in martial arts to singlehandedly defeated the evil commie hordes before he moved from Zimbabwe to St. Paul for no reason whatsoever? Angst J. Badass makes everything in the roleplay about him, and then he inevitably goes inactive when the game starts and people shockingly aren't willing to sacrifice their characters and bootlickers and fodder for him to slice to ribbons. Sure, lots of people in real life have some variations of these factors to them, and I'm not saying that you can't give your character a medical condition, or an interesting past. But those traits REALLY need to be held in check, used sparingly, and played realistically. If your character has a medical condition, do the research on the condition. Figure out how the character and other people would react and work to treat said condition. Don't just say "Joe has anger problems and beat a student to death in junior high. He went sentenced to see a shrink but lied to him because Joe is a super-genius and the shrink pronounced him cured. Now he takes anti-anger pills but they can't SURPRESS HIS RAAAAAAAGE!" Yeah, it takes work, but believe me, it'll help your character later.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Cherry
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Rattlesnake
Apr 21 2009, 11:10 PM
Also, a few months down the line, you can go up to them in math or whatever and go "Hey, Cody, I was RPing a character based off of you and someone sliced their face off with a pizza cutter and shanked him with a shard of glass, but not before he took off a couple of their fingers with some bolt cutters. It was awesome!"

See, my friends all already know how that feels. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I did it again :'D

Also, out of curiosity, what does the J stand for in Angst J. Badass? I need it so I can put it on his bio. Does it stand for Jesus? Or maybe Jellybeans? I couldn't think of many other badass things that begin with J. My vocabulary is markedly lacking in badass.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
D/N
Apr 22 2009, 07:47 AM
One epic rant.

QFT my friend, QFT.

This is what myself and several other people have been trying to get at during the entire time this thread has been running (personally, I regret starting it when I did, because it was waaay too early).

You don't set out to make a character who will set the island alight and blow the minds of every person who reads them. Nobody does. Adam wasn't planning to go all out and win when he self-inserted, heck, Adam Dodd the character was just supposed to be a practice 'Getting your feet wet' kind of character. I doubt Theseus, making Neil Sinclair, the guy who made one of the most successful groups of attempted escapees went 'Hey, you know what? I'm going to try and make this guy get everyone off the island!'

Dan wasn't aiming to create this hugely badass character who, though I don't personally like him, is undoubtedly a very good villain indeed. The Riz didn't start off as him saying 'Right, how can I make this guy come across in the most kickass way possible?' - It doesn't work like that.

Sure, you want to make an impact, you want to be important, but if you write well, that will happen. People don't want to look at a profile and be able to instantly say 'Huge villain', 'Massive hero' etc. etc. The best characters are the ones that can go either way. Normal is good, fantastical is annoying. There was enough of that in all three of the previous versions. Not to take anything away from them; they were all great in their own unique ways, but the more ordinary, the more realistic the characters, the more fun the RP becomes. I'm not saying everybody should make their characters plain and without anything to distinguish them from the crowd, just that these traits should be reigned in a bit.

((The 'you' is just used for flow. I'm not calling anyone out))

So... yeah!

[/auxilliary rant]
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

ifnotwinter
Member Avatar
half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whee for reviving a dying topic.

This is going here more because I'm not sure where else it would go, but I would love to see a long-term couple in V4, where they've been together for almost two years. This mostly came about after playing with a character concept that I'll outline below.

Winsome 'Winnie' Clark, a somewhat shy bookworm who tends to live in a world of her own. The only daughter of a teenage mother, Winnie was adopted by her grandparents and maintains only fleeting contact with her mother, who now lives and studies in New Zealand. She had a very normal childhood, discovering early a fondness for books that's never gone away (her grandparents don't own a television) she often constructs elaborate fantasies and dreams of someday being an author. She's something of a free spirit, really not tuned into typical fashion, gossip, or Hollywood, and as such isn't particularly popular and has occasionally been ridiculed as a hippie. She's also a complete and unfailing optimist, always looking for the good, looking on the bright side.

Now what I would love would be for her to have a long-term boyfriend. Obviously this could be easily NPC'd by myself, but I think it'd be awesome if someone happened to play him C: If they were to both get into V4, the possibilities would be really interesting, and something I think would be really neat to see played out.

Anyhow, I'm just babbling now, so. Any thoughts?

marc st. yves

light it up or burn it down we'll all die in fire

lydia hausen

if you don't look down you don't have to fall

sebastian conway

everything will be okay in the end

(so you've got to keep in mind, when you try to change the world for the better not everybody's gonna be on your side)

Evenni
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
If Winnie's living in New Zealand, how's she going to join in? Or am I just missing something?

If Darius gets accepted, I want to make a crazy super-feminist who is proficient at some sort of self defence and can be set off on a long, winding rant at any little random thing, based off a friend I had in primary school. If he's not accepted, I'll just try to make him better-er.
V4
Darius Wright
Theresa Duncan
Celeste Evans
Jade Milton (pending)

ifnotwinter
Member Avatar
half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No, that was me being unclear C:. She lives with her grandparents in St. Paul, her mother lives in New Zealand.

Interesting concept with the feminist - just make sure the martial arts aren't too implausible for her age/skill level.

marc st. yves

light it up or burn it down we'll all die in fire

lydia hausen

if you don't look down you don't have to fall

sebastian conway

everything will be okay in the end

(so you've got to keep in mind, when you try to change the world for the better not everybody's gonna be on your side)

Evenni
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Oh, I get it now, awesome!

And yeah, I was worrying about the martial arts thing. I might just drop that part of the idea, because the person herself is... well, she's really not an average girl, haha.
V4
Darius Wright
Theresa Duncan
Celeste Evans
Jade Milton (pending)

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dropping it is probably a good idea, if only for the sole reason that we've already got a few martial artists in the senior class and I can't realistically see there being more than a couple/few people who are proficient at it in one class.
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
She can still have a good right hook tho. That's not an uncommon skill.

chitoryu12
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Martial arts skill also doesn't HAVE to translate to super ass-kicking. A lot of martial arts disciplines, especially ones that are more commercial and based around money and flashy competition moves, are pretty much useless in a fight. Just watch Fred Ettish get his ass handed to him in a UFC fight. He's a black belt who got beat by a guy who knows how to punch hard and twist his limbs around.

For me, personally, Chris is going to have the same martial arts training I have. The most he's learned in terms of real-life fighting is how to kick and punch properly with force, and that's it. He's not going to be flipping football players over his shoulder or doing a spin kick into a psycho swordsman's face before doing some cheesy pose. If he puts a full-force hit on someone's nose, they'll go down, but that's about it.

In fact, I'd like to see a character who's attempted martial arts skills get him killed when he thinks they're more effective than he suspects.
Characters for v4

Christopher Carlson: B052
Weapons: Brass knuckles

Jake Crimson: B084 (Adopted)
Weapons: Cinderblock

Characters for v5

Clayton Leven: B050
Weapons: Handcuffs

Shit people say

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm considering my first and only martial artist character for v5 to be based off of the Dan Hibiki concept I was toying around with earlier in the year. Essentially (and yes, it's a parody that most of you will see the basis of), the poor sap will try to learn martial arts for a while to try and be like his older brother, get impatient with the simple stuff, and have his brother teach him something flashy but useless as mentioned above (a spinning kick comes to mind).

He'd then try to enter any competition he could find, coming out with a record of 0-8 or something, simply because he always eschewed simple in favor of fancy. Sure, it would probably hurt if it actually connected, but it's next to impossible to pull off something like a roundhouse in, say, MMA.

I would then never again touch another martial arts character.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's all well and good, except when you meet a black belt martial artist who actually has trained in a competent fashion and does know what he's doing - of which we already have one approved for v4. There are numerous other martial artists of various proficiencies approved.

Like I said, the sole reason I suggest taking it out is because I know that in my high school senior class it was rare to see three, maybe four people who were enrolled in Martial Arts classes, and we've already passed that number and then some. There's also a good ten denied profiles (at least) with varying degrees of competency in Martial Arts.

I find it hard to believe that many Martial Artists would be in the Bayview senior class, that's all.
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If they're denied though, that means they aren't actually in the class/year/whatever. But anyway.

I've always found this as a bit of an odd issue. I understand why it's disliked, because people might abuse it to make somebody incredibly tough, but in all honesty... the only profiles I've seen denied off the basis of martial arts also had much much more wrong with them.

Most things, in my opinion, can be written well, and that includes a martial arts backgrounds. I don't see why somebody should be asked to remove somehting like that just because another person got there in their profile first. Yes, everyone wants the RP to be realistic, but with stuff like this... well, it would be like having a list up at the top of the site saying 'No more martial artists allowed, we've filled our allotted quota of three already'

Anyway my view is that there are some things that the 'hyper-realism' attitude could and possibly should be relaxed on.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RANDOM REZ!

I find it disturbing that the entirety of Page 42 hits, in order, every single one of my characters (including David, although that was more a thought than an actual sentence).

Guess I'm settin' myself up for success, aren't I?

Also, Face; are you still lookin' for a long-term thing? I know I'm almost a year late to the party, but I think David would work for that role.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Pre-Game Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply