Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v4 Concepts Relapse; Spam and I'll eat you
Topic Started: Aug 22 2008, 02:22 AM (33,474 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well the other topic got spammed sky-high, but there was the makings of a good discussion there, underneath all the superfluous stuff and just plain randomness. Hey, I like a laugh as much as the next person but topics like that aren't the place for it aside from the occasional jibe, 'kay?

And suggesting silly/joke/OTT characters isn't contributing, it's being daft.

So, post (or repost, if it takes your fancy and you feel your reply got buried under an avalanche of spam) your character concepts for v4, or even just ideas you're working on.

To re-iterate mine, since everybody probably forgot by the time there were seven pages after it, there's three big ideas I'm toying with.

1) Something I thought up of a while ago and have been itching to try is a SotF fanboy/girl, who may or may not believe the show is real (probably the latter) but is in general obssessed with it: merchandise, fanfics, the whole lot. I thought it would be funny as hell if they were one of the people Danya spoke to in chatrooms in a couple of announcements, but we shall see about that.

2) The crusader archetype, you know what I'm talking about, the Uriel Hunters and Roland Kellys, except with a different spin on it. As opposed to being the 'God sent me a mission to kill everybody' it will be 'I must hunt down those who go against His will' (namely, the players) I think that it will be a nice spin on an older idea.

3) Finally, there's the nice rich guy. Why? Well when's the last time you saw a genuinely friendly, compassionate rich person? They're all Olivia Swans or Charlie Burchmans. Not all rich people are assholes! And I'm making a character to prove it :P

Anyhow, I know I'm just copying what I posted earlier, but this was actually a good topic before it got spammed up and then Dodd-nuked (not taking the piss Adam, I love ya) and I think we can get something good going... if people stay on topic.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Currently i'm writing up Alex Rasputin, a quiet, nice-on-the-outside-but-dangerous-once-he-needs-to-be-type, though i've added in a nice little backstory to make him more interesting, and I think that because of the time i'm putting into this he could turn out quite well, either way i'm playing him. He isn't written to be a set villain or hero, I think maybe this time i'll just decide that based on the events that occur in V4. Should I post the rough profile here once i'm done with it?
V7:
Erika P. Stieglitz
Tyrell K. Lahti
Caroline S. Ford
Otis D. Bradley

Pigeon Army
Member Avatar
is the Soul Machine.
[ *  *  * ]
My copy-paste from the old, spam-clogged thread -

Idea Number One: I enjoy playing around with cliches and subverting them, which I'm trying to do by making Leo Curtis, a devoted Democrat, a calculating and contemptuous player, completely subverting the Strawman Democrat image of an overly politically-correct, weak lacky. Likewise, in V4, I plan to play with the Strawman Republican image and make him a friendly and genuinely nice person who everyone loves, and who just happens to be a devoted Republican.

Idea Number Two: I don't think anyone's done a Samoan before, so my next idea was a quiet but likeable Samoan packed like a bloody tank. Whether he plays or not is still up in the air, but I'm leaning on not because he's the kind of person someone would immediately be scared of and try to take out regardless, which would create an interesting dynamic.

Idea Number Three: One thing I noticed about many of the jerkasses in this version is that the majority are players or wannabe players - for example, Dante Cooper, who, while not playing, has entertained notions of it several times. So I was planning a jerkass who doesn't want to play, rather emphatically so. An intelligent, arrogant jerkass who wants to live but doesn't want to play.

Idea Number Four: Clueless floated the idea of a crazy Christian player-hunter two posts above. This brought to mind the film Frailty, and I was thinking - what if I took a nice Christian kid and she went batshit nuts on the island, having hallucinations or her Lord and Saviour giving her specific names of people to kill, a la Frailty?

Idea Number Five: A stereotypical emo. Come on, they exist. The pouty, depressed, "how can I feel pain when you're being so supportive" types - except this one wants to live, above all those they hold in contempt.

Idea Number Six: A subverted cliche that breaks on the island. I'll need to work more on this one.

As for my flagship? Unsure - I don't have a clear-cut SI-style flagship like Dorian this round (with the exception of a few embellishments - namely the getting involved in fights - he's me), but number one and number three are looking like the most interesting ones.
THE LIVING - V4
G087 - Rachel Gettys / Tambourine / The Groundskeeper's Hut / Babysitter: Ciel
B027 - Dustin Royal / Yatagan / Residential Area / Babysitter: Hollyquin
B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala / Astra 400 (9mm) [x3 magazines (8 round capacity)] / The Tunnels / Babysitter: Inky

THE DECEASED - V4
B097 - Max Neill / The Lighthouse

Posted Image

PIGE AND ARCH - SALES MASTERS!!!

Mimi
Member Avatar
are you upset?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm really liking Idea Number Two, Pige. If you've ever read 72 Hours, there was a character named Francisco and he was pretty big and didn't play. Would people be scared of him because of his height or would he be mean?

I'll reiterate my ideas, also!

Idea One: Well for my flagship, I'll be having another asian. She's a pretty normal girl who's somewhat shy and a bit of a scaredy-cat. She also heavily depends on Trish's character, so you can see how this may go wrong. :x

Idea Two: Me and Clue have been toying around with the idea of triplets. The catch is that they'd all do something different, i.e one would be playing or something along those lines. We're still looking for someone to play the 3rd one, so hit us up if you're interested!

Posted Image

I◄◄
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mandy Rin
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I don't mind being the third triplet. Should be fun.

As for characters, I'd like to do a Harold Holt and have a guy whose main focus is find a way off the island. Most people have realised this is a good way to not live, thus I don't think there are many characters contemplating a speedy escape, but this guy's going to have a fair go at it. Most likely he'll take after his namesake, but you never know. He'd actually only really be good for a short joke - he'd kill himself pretty quickly.

That's just one idea. As I said before, I'd really like to do a epileptic - it's going to be a lot of fun, as the whole game seems like a breeding ground for seizure triggers. It'll help me stick with realism as well - she'll have to take the time to rest, eat, sleep, etc. otherwise she'll have a seizure. Also there is potential for her to accidentally kill herself by bashing her head in on a rock during an episode, which could get interesting if someone thinks someone else has budgeoned her to death. Character as plot device for the win.

I'd like to do a raging racist. Someone who thinks all the 'damn chinks should die' or something (no offence meant - I'm Asian myself, I'm just giving an example of her voice). I was going to make it a bruiser of a man, but due to the imbalance of girls to boys, I suppose I'll make her a girl. Like Nina in Code Geass - a raging, kinda psycho racist, but appears sweet and shy.

And I know it's probably been done a lot, but I'd like to do an exchange student who doesn't really know anyone. Any relationships they have kind of develop during the game, in the context of the game.
V4 Alive
Jessica Lee

V3 Dead
G70 - Amanda Redder (shot in the chest)

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
That triplets idea sounds nice, I might have some interest in that if you don't have anybody else.

Idea One: A person who comes from a relatively large family (either lots of siblings or an extended family) and is used to taking care of people, so they either actively or subconciously try to seek out the 'weaker' students and form them into a group (Weaker could mean either physically weak or in severe emotional or mental distress, either way it would be people who aren't playing)

Idea Two: A player who really tries to emphasize the whole 'innocent victim' idea (may or may not actually view themselves as a victim). This is done not only for the purpose of killing people but also for the benefit of the viewers at home (reasons may vary from fearing that they may be prosecuted for killing their classmates and realizing that emotional distress might help excuse them, or be something more calculating, such as a person who generally tries to make people feel sorry for them and thrives off of the sympathy or something like that)

Idea Three: Was toying with an SOTF-fanboy idea, but didn't have anything particularly good about the character and will probably scrap it. One thing I did think would be a little interest were if SOTF-style roleplaying boards have appeared by now, and there were a character who was a regular participant on one of them (not sure how this would affect the character, all I can think of would be that it might make the character slightly genre-savvy with regards to what people could be expected to do in an SOTF situation... again, this one wasn't really developed as a character.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V6 Characters
G31 - Candice Banks (adopted from Somersault) - The Rooftop
G35 - Bernadette Thomas (adopted from Imehal) (Deceased) - Northwest Cliffs

Past Version Characters

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Your first two ideas sound like they have great potential, Muninn. Judging by how you write Lauren, too, I think you could pull both of them off.

@Pigeon Army: #1, #3 (like you thought) and #5 all look pretty good to me.

@Mandy: Those are all really neat ideas - can't wait to see how you write them.

@Mimi: Both of those are great, obviously.

@Waffle: Lookin' good!

@Clueless: I'm eager to see that rich boy character, actually.
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Mandy Rin
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I really like your second idea, Muninn. I think you should make them the calculating type - they'll use everything and anything to their advantage. Playing the innocent victim makes it easier to find others willing to act as human shields.
V4 Alive
Jessica Lee

V3 Dead
G70 - Amanda Redder (shot in the chest)

Rimfire
Member Avatar
Bad shit goin' down!
[ * ]
Now, I don't know if this is done or not...

But perhaps for a v4 character, I've been thinking about an intelligent character who is essentially a researcher, and regards the Program as an opportunity to conduct a social/pathological investigation on his peers. As such, he'd attempt to get something like a conservatory made where he can write and archive his findings, and to do his research he'd have to go into the field and try to watch other players' behaviour. He'd know full well that he's going to die, but he'd also feel that his research could be his legacy.

I'm not sure if the whole idea's retarded or not, but something that appealed to me was being able to see the character's attitudes shift as the Program progresses and his own death draws nearer. For instance, if he realised some compassion for his dead classmates his report would begin to become a set of guidelines for surviving an SotF, which he'd try and hide for someone in the next Program to find. If he were to become mentally worse, his report might turn into an analysis of what the best method of killing is.

Just an idea, but I'm keen to hear opinions on it and all. :T
"HERE'S MY MOTHERFUCKIN' FARM!" -Sgt. Osiris/Kirk Lazarus/The Downey

Abel Williams: Overgrown Trail (Tonfa x1) [DIED A VIRGIN]

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Only problem I see with that is keeping him pegged as an actual high school student instead of having him come off as a 35 year old basement-rat with a shaggy beard. It's an interesting premise though.

Also: keep in mind that every SOTF takes place on a different island, so if he hopes to be found by somebody it's not going to happen.
v4 Characters:

v3 Characters:

Deceased:

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Rimfire
Member Avatar
Bad shit goin' down!
[ * ]
Quote:

Also: keep in mind that every SOTF takes place on a different island, so if he hopes to be found by somebody it's not going to happen.

Eh, he doesn't know that, though. :lol: I can anyway see his work being burnt or something, so I'm assuming his cause to be damned from the start.

I guess his character would have to be quite... strange to want to do this kind of thing. I suppose he'd start off incredibly detached from his peers, maybe.

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, actually, since SOTF is a worldwide broadcast and in all three versions the locations have been drastically different, I'm pretty sure he would know that. There's really nobody in the world who isn't familiar with SOTF as it stands now.

Like I said, though, if you can make that realistic distinction it's an interesting premise.
v4 Characters:

v3 Characters:

Deceased:

Rimfire
Member Avatar
Bad shit goin' down!
[ * ]
*bangs head against desk* Moron, moron.... I knew I should have researched into the previous SotF games more... or at least remembered the TV-broadcast thing...

Ah, well. I guess it needs some tweaking.

LadyMakaze
Member Avatar
Five percent.
[ *  *  * ]
I still stand by my concept of the student with split personality disorder...or whatever it's called nowadays, you can never win when it comes to political correctness. A sweet, yet weak-willed and relatively ineffectual personality shares a body with a sadistic, violent, and wild-off-the-vine personality... at least that's how she in her mind sees it. One absolutely abhors the idea of killing, the other would do anything to further her goals and have fun with it. Sound cliche? Maybe for a villain. For a hero? Maybe. What's for sure is that I'm not putting her down either of the paths. At least not explicitly. :P

I've been watching too many Satoshi Kon movies. This inspiration came from Paranoia Agent, the episode where a teacher is at odds with her prostitute alter-ego, and their communication exists in the form of leaving messages in the answering machine, sending faxes, and all sorts of insane shit~
Posted Image
MATSUDAAAAAAAAAAAA~

Lady's Lineup:

Alive: Julie Mikan(at the Marsh), Alice Jones(at the Jailhouse)

Dead: Luke Rowan, Nadine Willowbrook, Galen Neilson

v4: Mina "Yulin" Bathory, Gwynnes "Gwyn" Whitaker

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
lol nvm

I'm also toying with the idea of a character with medicated bipolar disorder, maybe having him run out of or lose his medication at some point

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pre-Game Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply