Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who here HASN'T seen/read Battle Royale?
Topic Started: Aug 15 2008, 01:08 PM (1,175 Views)
dinah_shore
Member Avatar
Lesbians!
[ *  *  * ]
This is mostly directed at the newbies, because I'm sure all the veterans here have had some kind of run-in with Battle Royale related media.

To my knowlege, there is a book, a series of mangas, and two movies. I think I can safely assume that the most popular of them all is the first movie.

I can't help but wonder, are there people here who need to be enlightened? I'm so curious...
------------------------------------♥------------------------------------
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JoystickHero
Member Avatar
<3
[ *  * ]
dinah_shore
Aug 15 2008, 12:08 PM
This is mostly directed at the newbies, because I'm sure all the veterans here have had some kind of run-in with Battle Royale related media.

To my knowlege, there is a book, a series of mangas, and two movies. I think I can safely assume that the most popular of them all is the first movie.

I can't help but wonder, are there people here who need to be enlightened? I'm so curious...

*sheepishly raises hand*
Homo homini lupus.
V4
B152 - Keith Christoph - Deceased - Nevada Marriage Forms - "God is dead."
B151 - Albert Lions - Deceased - TOZ-194 (14 Shells) - "Window!" (Stark took over for Al. And he was fantastic. For srs.)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Quote:

<Fiori> No, you can't quote me.

Posted Image

Super Llama
Member Avatar
STILL THE BEST 1973
[ *  *  *  * ]
Though I have a passing knowledge of what happened, I have never actually seen or read anything Battle Royale-related in it's entirety.

Somebody brought the DVD to school once (and somehow got away with it), and I saw the part where the rules of the game are explained (and a kid get knifed in the forehead, and another get collar asploded) but that's about it. It's hard for me to be able to to get a movie that wasn't officially released in the US (and I have Blockbuster Online instead of Netflix.) I thought about reading the manga, but I never really got around to it.
Posted Image
Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is MORPHIN' TIME!

V5 hopefuls:
Hiro Fukuyama: "N-n-no, I-I'm not scared."
Lucy Rosenberg: "If you're looking for friends, I don't think I can help you with that."
Angus McDonald: "To hell with you! If anyone here deserves to live, it's me!"

The Dead

banthesun

She wanted those horrible metal balls to stop banging against her legs

ZombiexCreame

But would Celeste even want help from a guy that whips out his pistol without a second thought?

dinah_shore
Member Avatar
Lesbians!
[ *  *  * ]
There's info on the web.

Also you can find the movie(s) through sites like surfthechannel.

You may be able to find the books or mangas in a bookstore if you're lucky. Or you know...internets.
------------------------------------&hearts;------------------------------------

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WRONG!

Yeah I couldn't stand the first movie and haven't even seen the second. I much prefered the book because at least Kazuo is made of higher density cardboard. And people actually have some kind of development (most of them anyhow)

*ahem*

Well I think we can safely assume that most people here believe SOTF is better than BR.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the movie was interesting, but it wasn't really my thing. I've heard the novel was much better, but I can't find an English translation anywhere

also, the second movie was terrible. I didn't even sit through the whole thing. & I hated how they threw in Kitano's daughter, I liked thinking of her more as just the voice on the phone that would never get to make amends with her father

dinah_shore
Member Avatar
Lesbians!
[ *  *  * ]
Not a lot of people liked the sequel.

And Clue, dah-ling, the first movie is probably the most popular, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that it's the best out of all the BR-related stuff out there.

Also, yes, SOTF is the best. For Always.

And I LIKED the movie. So there! :P
------------------------------------&hearts;------------------------------------

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
choic
Aug 15 2008, 06:42 PM
the movie was interesting, but it wasn't really my thing. I've heard the novel was much better, but I can't find an English translation anywhere

Really? It's easy to find. I got my copy from Barnes and Noble.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kyle
Aug 15 2008, 02:58 PM
choic
Aug 15 2008, 06:42 PM

Really? It's easy to find. I got my copy from Barnes and Noble.

Vermont seems to hate foreign things, I can't even find a copy of La Prueba anywhere

also, we have no Barnes & Nobles nearby. it sucks major major ass

DetectiveArcher
Member Avatar
Lieutenant Obvious
[ *  *  * ]
Well, if you can't find the book, you can read the manga here: http://mangahut.com/manga/Battle%20Royale.

It's pretty much exactly the same story, but with a bit more development of certain characters. And yes, this is an admission that I don't know how to hyperlink.
Maybe the night seems so dark because the day is much too bright.

v3 Characters-
Petra Elizabeth Andrews, Morgan Green, Edward Sullivan

v4 Characters-
Ilario Fiametta III, Roy Archer, Riley Flynn, Olexia Kovacs

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sweet, thanks!

DetectiveArcher
Member Avatar
Lieutenant Obvious
[ *  *  * ]
I live to serve...but only when it's convenient.

v3 Characters-

v4 Characters-

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You hyperlink by clicking the 'http://' button above the text box when you're replying.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

DetectiveArcher
Member Avatar
Lieutenant Obvious
[ *  *  * ]
There's an http box? Oh...so there is. Many thanks.

v3 Characters-

v4 Characters-

Muninn
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
I think it was... spring of 2004, there were a pair of girls in one of my classes that were reading Battle Royale. In early 2008, I was reminded of it somehow (I can't even remember why), watched the movies, read the book, etc.

The book was better (in my opinion, anyway), because mainly because the characters were more real in the book, as opposed to just being random people in the movie (in Toei's defense, there was no way they could have put all of that backstory in). Kitano was a much more believable character than Sakamochi, though.

(Of course, SOTF trumps all)
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V7. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V6 Characters
G31 - Candice Banks (adopted from Somersault) - The Rooftop
G35 - Bernadette Thomas (adopted from Imehal) (Deceased) - Northwest Cliffs

Past Version Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply