Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Newbie help
Topic Started: Apr 4 2007, 06:29 AM (1,903 Views)
Maku
Member Avatar
The Great Old One
[ * ]
Hi there,

First of all, great idea and well thought out.

I've been lurking here for a few days and reading up on the rules and that sort of thing, but combat is sort of confusing me. I've participated in both MUCK/MUSH and forum based role-play but without combat.

From what I have read it seems a bit "I'll let you do this to my character, because your lunging at them, so it seems logical", rather than having combat rules. If you get what I mean. I'm just wanting to know exactly how I need to approach combat or even if I need to play a combat character.

Not that he would stay alive a huge time, but would a pacifist character work? I know this is a very silly thing to ask but I'm genuinly confused and don't want to make an ass of myself by rolling a character and producing poor poses for others to work off. (Really sorry, in one of those "nothing is making sense" phases - coursework induced!)

Edit: Sorry again as I seem to of not read the most important part of the forum, the "Character Cap" post. Silly me. Oh well lots of time for swotting up. You know what...just forget everything I said. I've gone off half-cocked and babbled off on things that were answered already if I looked some more...again I'm sorry and I hope you guys don't think less of me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cyco
Member Avatar
Suicidal Maniac
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hardly. Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the site.

Everything you need to know can be found in Rules & Information or the extremely helpful Roleplaying Guides. As far as combat goes, it's entirely up to you. Say another user decides to take a hammer and swing it at your players face. You might, say:

i. Take it like a bitch.
ii. Step back and fire your Colt SSP at them.
iii. Sidestep and attempt to pistol whip them with said item.
iv. Duck and attempt to kick them in the groin.
v. Grasp at their arm as they swing.
vi. Fall down.
vii. Run away.

...or the ever-popular...

viii. Soil yourself.

The other user can't control what happens to your character, unless you allow them to. True, if someone has a TEC-9 trained on your player you'll probably be short a couple of options, but ultimately the decision on who lives and who dies is random; deathrolls are announced in the...announcements. Therefore you can have a near-sighted little douchebag weakling who's lost his specs wielding a butterknife and there's still the same chance of winning as a chess-master military brat with an MP5.

Right now we have indeed capped the v2 roster, but I do believe v3 Pre-Game is in the works for the near future, so don't be at all discouraged by that. I was a little bummed myself when I joined and found that the v1 cap had taken place just a few days ago.
Posted Image

v3 Minions
B21: Nigel Gillespie
G09: Jessa Vanallen
B20: Harry Tsai
B13: James Brown
B112: Dennis Bernard

Maku
Member Avatar
The Great Old One
[ * ]
Cheers for the info!

Made things a lot clearer, I'd read about the dice-rolls for deaths so that bit was fresh in my mind. Well I better start thinking about a character/characters for V3.

Thanks again!

Nealosi
Member Avatar
Level 80
[ *  *  * ]
Tell your friends, sai. I'm hoping we can recruit enough people to make V3 epic.
I eat alone in a desert with skulls for my pets,
I rate the days 1 to 10 with lead cigarettes.

v4

Jeremy Ressler
Catherine Cowie
Haaziq Muhammad Sayf

RePeate
Member Avatar
GOD AMONG MEN, REAPER OF... GAHHH!! HAND CRAMP!!
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys, I'm new here too! Heard about it through my Battle Royale Group on Facebook. Just so you know, when I get into stuff like this, I check FREQUENTLY, so you should see a lot of me when V3 starts up.

One quick question though: Is there a registration topic up for V3 characters yet? or are the people who say they have V3 characters only sure of what the names/bios will be, and not actually registered characters? I'd hate to have come upon this little online gem just short of the player cap...

Anywhoo, I'll be around until V3 starts, so PM me if you feel so inclined.
<body>
<font color=blue>
<BR>Character Status
<HR WIDTH ="30%" ALIGN=left>
<font color=green>Currently In-Game: Evan Angler, Gabe McCallum
<font color=red>Currently Deceased: Alex Steele, Monique St.Claire
<font color=white>On Standby:
<font color=red> <I>Oh, so I see the floor is here...</I>
</body>

Cyco
Member Avatar
Suicidal Maniac
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's good to see that kind of enthusiasm, particularly after hearing nothing but incessant bitching and complaining from swelled-headed individuals. Welcome.

The registration for v3 characters is, as of yet, non-existent. And the character cap has been in place since late March. Look on the bright side, though; that just gives you more time to perfect your characters. I'm looking forward to RPing with both of you in v3.
Posted Image

v3 Minions

RePeate
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hold up, maybe I'm getting confused here... what's the difference between character registering and character cap? Am I too late to get into V3? I'd hate to have to wait, like, 6 months for another version...
<body>
<font color=blue>
<BR>Character Status
</body>

baby_g
Member Avatar
god it's been a lovely day
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
character cap is for those in V2, whats going on in the island right now. Character reg's are when you write up who your character is. You can't really do that right now because the cap is on for the V2 game. you wont have to wait 6 months though lol. no worries deary
It's so nice

Nealosi
Member Avatar
Level 80
[ *  *  * ]
Nope, the character cap just means that no new contestants will be added to the island in the current V2. As of yet, V3 hasn't even started and character registration is not yet online so you've got time until it starts up yet.

Your ahead of the game.

Edit: I devour this post, as it came just a few seconds late.
I eat alone in a desert with skulls for my pets,
I rate the days 1 to 10 with lead cigarettes.

v4

Jeremy Ressler
Catherine Cowie
Haaziq Muhammad Sayf

baby_g
Member Avatar
god it's been a lovely day
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope that helps a bit for you ^_^
It's so nice

Cyco
Member Avatar
Suicidal Maniac
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh right! Unless either of you want to adopt an inactive and try your hand at some v2 RPing. I'm not sure, but there just might be one or two left (don't quote me on that one).
Posted Image

v3 Minions

RePeate
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ok, holy crap, scared there... was worried because the cap announcement was so recent, I thought it was about v3.... glad that's cleared up... gotta work on some backstories now...

*phew*
<body>
<font color=blue>
<BR>Character Status
</body>

Ares
Member Avatar
V3 World Heavyweight Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh man, that was my post on Facebook that was promoting the site. I feel special!
Is in...

RePeate
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Then I have you to credit for my presence here, Mr. Cosyn.
<body>
<font color=blue>
<BR>Character Status
</body>

Ares
Member Avatar
V3 World Heavyweight Champion
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
*Does the happy dance*

Man, I still feel awesome knowing that Cyco is controlling me (the character based on me) is this game. Prolly doesn't help that my happy state is one resulting in 3 hours of sleep in the last two days!
Is in...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply